Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

ls1 street racing 101 how to

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 11:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls1 street racing 101 how to

I would like some of you more experianced street racers to reveal the best methods(dig, roll, etc.) for a lightly modded ls1(above 350HP) with traction and a decent driver to take out the following cars:

stock mach 1
lightly modded mach 1
stock evo turbo
lightly modded evo t
stock 05 stang
lightly modded stang
stock supercharged cobra
lightly modded super charged cobra
stock turbo supra

If you have raced any of the cars above, I would like to know your impressions of each cars performance (strengths and weaknesses) when you raced.

example: if you raced a stock evo and had a choice to race from a dig or a roll, then which race would give the ls1 an advantage?
Old 07-29-2005, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

chain their axle to a telephone poll.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

or you could go out and find out for yourself...thats the fun of it, not knowing whats gonna happen..
Old 07-29-2005, 12:16 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

I'm pushing about 320ish and have beat the following:
Modded Mach 1-From a dig I pulled ahead by 2nd gear and just kept going.
Modded 05 GT-From a dig same thing. He couldn't break into 13's w exhaust and Nitto's.
Modded 98 Mustang GT-He got owned from a 20mph roll.

These are just MY experiences with these cars, some others' may have been different
Old 07-29-2005, 02:50 AM
11 Second Club

The stock Evo from a roll shouln't be an issue at all, but from a dig, U will have to catch him!

05 Mustang stock - Nothing to worry about in either roll or dig

stock Mach 1's - They are alot quicker then people give credit for, but if ur modded at all, u will be fine from dig and roll

Stock 03 Cobra - Can go either way, usually the Cobra wins, but like U mentioned, ur over 350 RWHP so no worries w/ a stock one.

modded 03 Cobra - one w/ simple pulley swap, exhaust and intake can put down over 450RWHP easy so thats where u will have to find for ur self. More then likely, u will get owned.

As for the other Modded type cars u were asking about, it all depends what is done. Have fun!!
Old 07-29-2005, 02:57 AM
11 Second Club

Depending on suspension and tires - a Dig is a "REAL" race but some can't find traction and like doing small roll races. So I would do a dig if u have the tire to match it. I've roll raced and did a few digs w/ a 2001 lightning w/ nearly 400 RWHP and 500 RWTQ and let me tell you, both of us were on Nitto Drags and He is gone off the line, but I run him down rather quickly, as far as a roll race w/ him, no competition. Granted it is a truck and it is heavy.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=shep28]

lightly modded mach 1

lightly modded evo t

stock supercharged cobra
lightly modded super charged cobra
QUOTE]

I deleted everything you dont need to worry about. As for the rest, modded mach 1s are a PITA, they wake up just as quickly as we do to mods. Running them from a low speed roll is generally better than a dig because they hook like bastards and have stronger gear ratios. Running a modded evo from a dig, is once again a bad idea, from a roll its still going to be murder in your favor until they are heavily modded.
As for the terminator. Stock vs your 350rwhp is going to be a very good race. Definently a car you should run from a dig because not all of them are good at launching their irs, and better yet, its really easy for them to shred the tires with their instant torque. A lightly modded terminator is going to spank you, lightly modded puts them around the 450rwhp mark.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:01 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stock mach 1: Roll. 55+mph
lightly modded mach 1: Roll. 75+mph
stock evo turbo: Dig or roll.
lightly modded evo t: Roll.
stock 05 stang: Roll. 55+mph
lightly modded stang: Roll. 75+mph
stock supercharged cobra: If he's on street tires, Dig.
lightly modded super charged cobra: Dig, again.
stock turbo supra: Dig.

For roll races, the key is to know what your car traps both in the 1/8th and in the 1/4. It gives you an idea as to where your car is making power. If your car makes a great 2nd half effort in the 1/4, race above 75mph, but know what your opponent's car is capable of (always do research).

AWD cars and Stangs can jump you from a dig. If you take that away from them (using tires and suspension), they've got nothing.
Cobras are tricky, 'cause they have traction issues from a dig, but they can reel you in rather well, so come prepared. Make sure you can trap at least 110mph+ if you're racing a stock Cobra.

Also, know your gears. Know which gear you should drop down to at any given speed. Know which range is best for you to race from. I used to love 70mph. A drop at that speed would surge me forward right away.

Good luck!
Old 07-29-2005, 02:45 PM
10 Second Club

i like to street race. tires,tires,tires got to hook.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

First and second gear for me are 100% useless on the street at WOT (315 Nittos). Good thing I know how to pedal it. The moral of the story is that street races usually come down to traction when cars are fairly even in terms of power.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:03 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mike c.
i like to street race. tires,tires,tires got to hook.
Yeah, but you race for real.
Tires don't do sh*t for ya during gay roll racing (the preferred method of racing nowadays by people influenced by Hollywood movies).

Tires!!!!!!!