Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Cobalt SS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glennster
The cobalt is not simply a rebadged cavalier,its a ground up new design and motor trend actually gave it a stellar review.Given their love of foreign slant thats saying something.The car is pretty cool but the back is a little to "large" for me.I like the looks of the SRT4 better but would buy neither,I want an EVO!
I hear you on the evo thing..i'd love to get a buschur "br 350" evo...that would be nice.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cobalt is 2 door and looks 50% good(spoiler is ugly)
Old 11-15-2005, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

If I liked either the Srt4 or Cobalt, I'd take the above car anyday and twice on sunday. Put a more modest spoiler on and it might be a nice daily driver.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by glennster
The cobalt is not simply a rebadged cavalier,its a ground up new design and motor trend actually gave it a stellar review
All of the magazines gave the SRT-4 a stellar review when it was new too.....including motor trend in a single car review, and a 3 car match up.

The Neon has a bad name because of the 1st gen neons..... too bad because the 2nd gen neon is actually a pretty good product, including the SRT-4. I honestly don't see what some of you people have against this car, it is a great car. You can say its not my type of vehicle... .but it is actually very well built and well priced.

And to all of you people that say SRT-4's are still neons at the end of the day.... do you say Evo's are just Lancers? STi's are just Impreza's? Lightnings are just F150's? Who cares what the cars roots are...... what can it do?
Old 11-15-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

You make some good points, but I think the Cobalt is being reviewed better than the SRT-4 ever was. It's true what you say about the roots largely being irrelevant for many cars, but this just doesn't hold true for me with the neon. For me personally, I just wouldn't ever be happy driving a car that is essentially a "neon." I know its a lot different than the original base neon but I mean it looks too similar and everyone and their uncle still see's it as a "neon." I'd rather drive an Impreza, a lancer or F150 than a "neon" any day. I don't know...just something about the "neon"...I remember back in the day when they first came out with the commercials showing the headlights and the whole concept was yugo-ish. At least thats always been my impression and I just couldn't get over that with the SRT-4. With that said, I don't hate the SRT-4. Its still a neat inexpensive car with a lot of potential. I just wouldn't personally want to own one as a DD, whereas on the other hand I wouldn't mind a Cobalt SS. Again, thats just me personally.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:08 AM
Board Certified Idiot

i think ppl do not like the NEON only for the fact that so many ricers out there get the CAR and 1st thing they try to do is BAD talk the Fbody owners and stangs for winning over a FEW. They get RICE happy.. PLUS its FORD many ppl stand behind the BOWTIE.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:13 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z2K_MrJ
i think ppl do not like the NEON only for the fact that so many ricers out there get the CAR and 1st thing they try to do is BAD talk the Fbody owners and stangs for winning over a FEW. They get RICE happy.. PLUS its FORD many ppl stand behind the BOWTIE.
im not sure who your refering to as ford here, but if for some strange reason your referring to the neon, its a chrystler(dodge or plymouth), not ford.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:41 AM
Bad Trader (Louis H)

Sorry when it comes to this category the SRT4 comes out on top beacuse Mopar has a warrantied Stage 1 kit for under 5 0r 6 hundred bucks adding another 30-40HP>
Old 11-16-2005, 09:20 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

THe neon was recently stated as being the most unsafe compact car according to CNN as I recall.(IF it wasn't CNN, it was one of the other big news companies.)
Old 11-16-2005, 11:31 AM
12 Second Club

I did the tuner thing for a little while. Let me tell you it was fun. I had a Saturn Ion Redline, same drivetrain as the Cobalt SS/SC. The Redline actually felt a little quicker too. I was 60 pounds lighter out of the factory, but it's only 60 pounds. But, those cars were great. Stock for stock the Cobalt could run with an SRT but once the modding started it was all over for the Cobalt. They still werent slow cars though. I beat out a some Mustangs (mostly fox bodies, but one or two later models). The best part of the Saturn though was the ultimate sleeper effect (I didn' have one of those big gay wings). No one had any idea that you were supercharged. It was the best pulling up to an A4 with his blowoff valve and just surprising the hell out of him by actually giving him a run. That was by far the best part of that car.
The *** end of that car was teh front drive. I just couldnt get used to it. The torque steer, and the wheel hop. I didnt feel in total control. But, don't get me wrong i still can't say enough good things about those cars. Especially now that GM has debuted the Stage Upgrades.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99S351
Sorry when it comes to this category the SRT4 comes out on top beacuse Mopar has a warrantied Stage 1 kit for under 5 0r 6 hundred bucks adding another 30-40HP>
its not 30-40 hp..they claim it 250 at the flywheel up from 230 at the flywheel. stage 1 is a waste of money since stage 2 makes stage 1 worthless.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:49 AM
Teching In

here are some pictures. i ordered mine without a wing!! i dynoed at 195 tq

Old 11-20-2005, 12:27 PM
12 Second Club

Nice car man. I used to have a blue one without a wing. I'm sure you know already, but the stage kits came out for them. Pulley, injectors, and ECU reflash. Pretty cheap too. Check it out at redlineforums.com.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You should win.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mopar doesnt warranty any of the staged upgrades. In fact, Chrysler is kind of shady.... when you take your car in for any kind of warranty work and they find any mods, including the staged kits, they will flag your car so the next time it gets worked on it has to be approved by the district warranty manager.

It's pretty sad. But thats what you deal with when you are in the modding game
Old 11-20-2005, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SporkLover
Mopar doesnt warranty any of the staged upgrades. In fact, Chrysler is kind of shady.... when you take your car in for any kind of warranty work and they find any mods, including the staged kits, they will flag your car so the next time it gets worked on it has to be approved by the district warranty manager.

It's pretty sad. But thats what you deal with when you are in the modding game
it depends where you go...the dealship in pa that I was pricing out a srt4 witha stage 3 kit on it..the guy said he would honor the warranty as long as I didn't mess with the boost settings..ect....and he said he would put it in writing too.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

saw a cobalt ss and a srt4 go at it yesterday at the track srt4 won everytime, but it was close, there were running 9.1-9.4's in the 1/8

Quick Reply: Cobalt SS?