Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Stock CTS-V 3, New Modded EVO 1.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock CTS-V 3, New Modded EVO 1.

As I was waiting at an offramp stoplight, a new Evo w/ dealer plates rolled up. I asked the guy if he wanted to run. Him and his passenger's eyes lit up and nodded in approval. I asked what he had done, and he said full exhaust and computer work. I told him that I was stock.

Light turned and there was a long sweeping turn into the straightaway. Every shift the car was losing crazy power and he was pulling away from me #@@!$#%!!! I forgot to turn the traction control off
I lost because of stupidity.

We slowed down and I convinced him to go from a roll w/o my TC on. Each time it was ugly. 3 times in a row I put multiple lengths on him and he just hit the brakes and gave up. Last time he said he couldn't honk his horn and shift at the same time. Anyway, after it was all over, he told me he had 415 crank hp (which I say BS to), because even though he had a passenger in the car, his car was still lighter than mine and I shouldn't have walked away from him like that IMO. Good race for me nonetheless....but this damn wheel hop is still killin' me! I need to get that BMR kit on ASAP.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:31 PM
Teching In

Great kill! You whooped up on the skittle, I love it when they get it handed to them!!!
Old 01-09-2006, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

nice kill, what kinda power are you making? 440hp , just a guess!
Old 01-09-2006, 04:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by C.W.A
nice kill, what kinda power are you making? 440hp , just a guess!
No, stock. About 400hp
Old 01-09-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

no way the guy had 415bhp with turbo back and tunning. at most he would have about 280is whp. the guy was a tool.

Good kill.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:35 PM
Teching In

Ya that guy was full of crap man. 415 hp, LOL! Anyways, I love the CTS-V's. They're awesome cars. Is wheel hop really that bad on them though?
Old 01-09-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Juiced
no way the guy had 415bhp with turbo back and tunning. at most he would have about 280is whp. the guy was a tool.

Good kill.
hmmmm...I'm at about 335rwhp or so (based on most stock dynos) and weighed an easy couple hundred lbs. more than his car I'd guess? I shouldn't have beaten him as bad as I did if he was telling the truth.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

Nice kill. Sounds like the kid didn't know what he was talking about. That would equal about 340-350 whp. lol. Nice 90hp increase with just a TBE and tune . I am suprised you pulled him that easily though, 9's are pretty fast stock. I love the new CTS-V's though so good job.

Last edited by NIevo; 01-09-2006 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by REPCobra10
Ya that guy was full of crap man. 415 hp, LOL! Anyways, I love the CTS-V's. They're awesome cars. Is wheel hop really that bad on them though?
Yes, the wheel hop is really that bad, and a little bit worse
Old 01-09-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by verbs
Yes, the wheel hop is really that bad, and a little bit worse
It does suck. Not sure if he is still selling kits but, I've installed and used the KARS Cradle/Kradle system,...and like it. I'm talking cars from 380 to the wheels, all the way to 490 at the wheels,...are suffering from little hop.

It's still there, AT TIMES but, nowhere near what it was.

check it out pimpin'

Oh,...and nice sig.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by verbs
As I was waiting at an offramp stoplight, a new Evo w/ dealer plates rolled up. I asked the guy if he wanted to run. Him and his passenger's eyes lit up and nodded in approval. I asked what he had done, and he said full exhaust and computer work. I told him that I was stock.

Light turned and there was a long sweeping turn into the straightaway. Every shift the car was losing crazy power and he was pulling away from me #@@!$#%!!! I forgot to turn the traction control off
I lost because of stupidity.

We slowed down and I convinced him to go from a roll w/o my TC on. Each time it was ugly. 3 times in a row I put multiple lengths on him and he just hit the brakes and gave up. Last time he said he couldn't honk his horn and shift at the same time. Anyway, after it was all over, he told me he had 415 crank hp (which I say BS to), because even though he had a passenger in the car, his car was still lighter than mine and I shouldn't have walked away from him like that IMO. Good race for me nonetheless....but this damn wheel hop is still killin' me! I need to get that BMR kit on ASAP.
Cool, is your VTS the one with the LS6?

Also, if that was a new Evo (i.e. IX or 9) then he should have beaten you. In recent tests the Evo IX out sprinted a C6 Z51 manual, in 0-100mph, 0-60mph and 0-100-0.

In stock trim they have some 330-340bhp (UK).
Old 01-10-2006, 08:18 AM
Teching In

good kill on the driver.

evo 9's with just those mods have broken over 300 awhp on low reading dynos, and run high 12's in stock form.

especially with 3800 lbs compared to 3200 lbs. Definitely a kill on the driver.