03 Mach 1 vs 02 SS??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowjacketfever
my son has a 01 transam. it has throttle body bypass, ported
and polished throttle body and mass air flow. i have seen this car from a stop
blow 2 different mach1s *** away. 2--3 car lengths every time. At the track or on the street. he has out ran a 04 cobra easily. so before you go mouthing on about something , you need to be sure you know what you are talking about. yellowjacketfever 04gto K&N cold air dealer ram air hood stock!
and his car will beat mine barely!!!!
If your sons car is barely beating your (basically stock) '04 GTO then his Trans-Am is unlikely to be "blowing-away" a well-driven stock Mach 1, let alone a well-driven modded one...
Old 02-09-2006, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
well, when i speak ok Cobra's i generally mean 03-04 Cobra's b/c the others suck
I wouldn't get to cocky, there are some real strong pre 03/04 Cobras out there. The problem is the gearing in the pre 03/04, 3.27 gear does not put them in there powerband until the higher Rs. A nice 4.10 should be right there if not surpass a Mach and "some" LS1s.. JMO!
Old 02-09-2006, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

I think the mach 1 guys have the same attitude towards the F body as Fbody guys have towards the 03 Cobra...

With equal drivers at the same track on the same night the 03 cobra will beat the Z28/bird/SS/WS6 9 out of 10 times..

The 03 cobra will run a 12.8-13.2 bone stock every time
The F body will run a 13.1-13.5 bone stock every single time

Now both these drivers are equal....But YES if you get shift stick eddie driving the fbody it may be in the 12.9-13.3 range....

But the 03 driver could be clutch master ron and be running 12.6-13.0..

Stock for stock the 03 cobra IS the faster car...But many of us LS1 drivers make excuses of how are car is just as fast

The other half of us just except reality...HEY MAN IM NA AND IT HAS A BLOWER....

The mach1 guys have exactly the same attitude towards are LS1 as we do to the 03 cobra...

With equal drivers at the same track on the same day the fbody will run 13.1-13.5 every single time.

The mach 1 will run 13.3-13.7 every single time.

The F body is the faster car 7 out of 10 times...And this is at the track were the mach1's suspension helps a lot...On the freeway stock for stock from a 70 mph roll Ive found them to be laughable IMHO..

From a roll with equal drivers the Fbody will win 9 out of 10 times.

But just like are LS1 is only 2-3 tenths slower than the 03 cobra and we still feel very CLOSE and performance and make excuses...

The Mach1's are even closer at only 2 tenths behind and will make even more excuses to how there car is just as fast

THE SAME WAY THE 03 COBRA GUYS DO IT TO 2002 Z06'S

THE SAME WAY 2002 Z06 GUYS DO IT TO 2003 VIPERS

AND IM SURE THERES SOME ONE RIGHT UNDER THE MACH1'S HEELS DOING THE SAME THING TO THEM.....PROBALY THE M3
Old 02-09-2006, 06:14 PM
Teching In

blow 2 different mach1s *** away. 2--3 car lengths every time. At the track or on the street. he has out ran a 04 cobra easily. so before you go mouthing on about something , you need to be sure you know what you are talking about. yellowjacketfever 04gto K&N cold air dealer ram air hood stock!
This whole post is a crock of ****! He beat an 04 Cobra easily, with those mods? No way. And if he can barely beat your pudgy 04 Cav, er I mean GTO, then no way in hell he pulls 2 or 3 cars on a Mach 1, 'cause I could eat your car up with all motor, done it on numerous occassions. So
Old 02-10-2006, 04:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TRMach1
This whole post is a crock of ****! He beat an 04 Cobra easily, with those mods? No way. And if he can barely beat your pudgy 04 Cav, er I mean GTO, then no way in hell he pulls 2 or 3 cars on a Mach 1, 'cause I could eat your car up with all motor, done it on numerous occassions. So
Yes but you are forgetting a couple of vital pieces of info.

1. It wasn't your car, and evidently your car isn't STOCK.

2. It's a RACE which means it's largly down to the driver. I mean lets face it, it doesn't take much wheel spin to lose 0.5-1.5 seconds at the 1/4 mile. And on the street this is most likely the case.

If everyone was a driving genious then yes BS flags should be waved, but seriously how many crap to poor drivers are there out there.....
Old 02-10-2006, 05:10 AM
On The Tree

MOST OF THEM.......

90% OF US NEVER GO TO A DRAG STRIP. NO MATTER WHAT CAR WE DRIVE.

Have you seen the 60 ft times guys get there first time at the drag strip????

2.3-2.5 60 ft times for the newbies in F bodies and Y bodies.....Then little by little with time and practice they get it down to 2.0-2.2....Then the better guys hit 1.9's on the stock tires.

The average guy who dosent go to the drag strip and dosent know how to launch is gonna be pulling high 13's-low 14's in a LS1 or Mach1 when he races some one from a dead stop.

They think...OK the more gas i give it now the faster she'll go when the guy honks and i take my foot off the brakes (JUST LIKE IN THE MOVIES)

really he'd go alot faster by easing the gas and not spinning. But they dont know that.

Thats why ACHOTS..

it's not like the drag strip were more than likely each guy has launched his car numerous times and knows how to get it's full potential....

Then theres even the timeslip..

HOW MANY TIMES AT THE DRAGS DID YOU PUT A SOLID 2-3 LENTGHS ON A CAR BY THE END OF THE 1/4 MILE AND HAVE THE BIGGEST SMILE ON YOUR FACE OF HOW YOU JUST SLAUGHTERED THAT 03 COBRA OR WHAT EVER IT WAS...

ONLY TO GET THE TIMESLIP 30 SECONDS LATER AND SEE THAT HE WAS ACTUALY 2 TENTHS AND 2 MPH QUICKER THAN YOUR FASTEST TIMESLIP EVER. HE JUST SLEPT AT THE LIGHT.

this is another example of how anything can happen on the street.....If you had raced the 03 cobra on the street and got the two car lengths on him, the first thing you would do is come post how you terminated a terminator...

Not realizing that you simply jumped a 1/2 second before he did and his car IS THE FASTER CAR by two tenths.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:18 AM
TECH Addict

It may be my years of experience driving but when I went to the 1/4 mile strip I had 4 runs in all (on different days because I only got 1 or 2 runs with test n tune) and I ran a 2.0 60 ft twice on street tires.

But, at Milan they prep the track pretty good.

BTW - Was there ever a race with the slightly Modded Mach 1 and slightly modded SS?????

I hate it that we have so many "what if" threads and no one ever races...
Old 02-10-2006, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

ask and you shall receive, i did it, back when i had the mach1

my car: 03 Mach1, M5, catted prochamber, SLP Loudmouth CB, PHP Intake Spacer, MGW shifter

my friend car:
99 Z28, M6, SLP lid and bellow,CB,Dumps

both cars with stock gearing,stock tires.

http://media.putfile.com/03-Mach1-VS-99-Camaro-Z28-

i used to talk a lot about mach1's been as fast as ls1 fbodies until a raced my friend
Old 02-10-2006, 02:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BlueGoat06
ask and you shall receive, i did it, back when i had the mach1

my car: 03 Mach1, M5, catted prochamber, SLP Loudmouth CB, PHP Intake Spacer, MGW shifter

my friend car:
99 Z28, M6, SLP lid and bellow,CB,Dumps

both cars with stock gearing,stock tires.

http://media.putfile.com/03-Mach1-VS-99-Camaro-Z28-

i used to talk a lot about mach1's been as fast as ls1 fbodies until a raced my friend
Moral of the story, the LS1 in that video and it's driver beat you and your mach 1. There's too many variables to ever predict an outcome, but if you want to simplify things, I will vote the car with the best power to weight ratio and best driver to win everytime.

I think sportbikes are prime example of what power to weight ratio can acheive.

Tony
Old 02-10-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bluegoat06, nice video, nice death. Both cars sounded awesome!
Old 02-11-2006, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

just to give you guys another example, same car, but i got half car jump on this one... , and i was even powershifting 2nd to 3rd...
i was like "god dam 3rd gear"

http://media.putfile.com/03-Mach1-VS...Z28-from-a-Dig

Last edited by BlueGoat06; 02-11-2006 at 12:30 AM.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlueGoat06
just to give you guys another example, same car, but i got half car jump on this one... , and i was even powershifting 2nd to 3rd...
i was like "god dam 3rd gear"

http://media.putfile.com/03-Mach1-VS...Z28-from-a-Dig
Yeah for every slow Mach 1 there are 30 fast ones.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:40 AM
LS1Tech Editor

Grey03Mach1-

I have been actually wondering if that is possible. It seems like Machs are either "slow" or faster than most think, which seems highly unlikely for a production car to have such great differences, but seems to be the case.

But like I said, both Mach's I ran were from a 25 role and the one was slow and the other hung at my rear tire until 100 or so, just before we shut it down. I was surprised to see such a great difference between the two cars that were similar in their laundry list's of mods and were driven just about equally.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:01 AM
On The Tree

YEA THATS TRUE THERE ARE SOME SLOWER mACH1'S AND SOME FASTER MACH1'S......

The slower ones get dusted by an LS1 and the faster ones are only 1-2 lengths behind...

Still pretty much the same thing IMHO....

Ive said it before and ill say it again...

My friend had a stock Gt A4 that was slow...14.9 slow....

So my supercharged V6 camaro was running 15.0's consistently and most of the time I would win...

So he trades it in for a mn6 stock GT and runs 14.6's and dust me avery time..

I get a 04 vette and run 13.5's and dust him like theres no tomorrow...

Well he reads all these fast ford magazines and swears to me that a bone stock mach1 can dust a LS1 according to what he's been reading...

So a month after I get my vette he gets a mach1....

We go to the track and I pull my consistent A4 13.5 through 13.6...

Him and his two other mach1 buddies FOR A TOTAL of 3 different mach1's driven by 3 DIFFERENT drivers all pull 13.9-14.2....

My C5 is a 2.73 geared A4 and runs about the same ET as the mn6 fbody ( actually a guy I know has ran a 13.5 in his WS6 bird bone stock at my track ( he's the fastest F body that I know of bone stock though)....

The point is that 13.5 is a serious A** whooping compared to 13.9...

We had the same 60 fts...2.1-2.2....

He hung right there till around 50 mph and then the LS1 just pulls hard...

Ive raced all of them ( het what mach1 guy dosent want a shot at a stock vette)...

And by 50-60 mph I always pulled them like they were standing still...

Then my friend is like...Well your LS1 is 350 HP and stronger than the manual camaro engine by like 30 HP....

I tried to explain how my 2.73 geared C5 was no faster than a MN6 f body but these guys just wouldnt except that Fast Fords had lied to them and that the only way a Mach1 was gonna take a LS1 is if the LS1 got a 60 ft that was a tenth or two slower.....

I challange any bone stock Mack1 to go race a 1998 bone stock camaro with the 2.73 gears from a 70 mph roll to 120 mph...

Id bet my left nut that the week 2.73'd LS1 wins the race...

To me mach1 guys are kinda like STI wannabe's....The car can launch good and sometimes pull a 13.2 at 105 mph off a 1.9 60 ft....

Kinda like how the STI can pull a 13.2 at 103 mph off a 1.7 60 ft...

LOOK AT THOSE WEEK MPH's....

The mn6 LS1 F body can pull the same 13.2 off a 2.1 60 ft at 107 mph...

Some F bodys hit 109 mph...Popular science got a fire bird to run 109 mph bone stock.....

The point is that if Mach1's were really hitting 105-109 mph like the F bodys do I would say there in the same league....

But they are in the 103-107 range....

More like an A4 LS1...

So when ever I here Mach1's compare there car to an LS1....I just cant help but to laugh.....I dont care about internet becnch racing...

ive raced them at the same track under the same conditions numerous times...And there has never /ever/ever never been a stock mack1 at my track that ran a 13.5 like my C5 and one of the fbodys has done...

The cobras at my track are only running 13.2-13.4......I drive a vette..Who do you think the first person is who wants to come ask me what i ran stock..

The 03 cobra guys.....Then i ask them to return the favor and the current record for a stock 03 cobra at my track is a 13.2....

HOW THE HECK IS A MACH1 GONNA RUN 13.5??????????

The internet just blows my mind
Old 02-11-2006, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

2.73 vette - You're clueless...seriously.

Shoot me a PM when you drop 3 seconds off your ET.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:13 AM
Staging Lane

Wink

Originally Posted by 2.73 Vette
YEA THATS TRUE THERE ARE SOME SLOWER mACH1'S AND SOME FASTER MACH1'S......

The slower ones get dusted by an LS1 and the faster ones are only 1-2 lengths behind...

Still pretty much the same thing IMHO....

Ive said it before and ill say it again...

My friend had a stock Gt A4 that was slow...14.9 slow....

So my supercharged V6 camaro was running 15.0's consistently and most of the time I would win...

So he trades it in for a mn6 stock GT and runs 14.6's and dust me avery time..

I get a 04 vette and run 13.5's and dust him like theres no tomorrow...

Well he reads all these fast ford magazines and swears to me that a bone stock mach1 can dust a LS1 according to what he's been reading...

So a month after I get my vette he gets a mach1....

We go to the track and I pull my consistent A4 13.5 through 13.6...

Him and his two other mach1 buddies FOR A TOTAL of 3 different mach1's driven by 3 DIFFERENT drivers all pull 13.9-14.2....

My C5 is a 2.73 geared A4 and runs about the same ET as the mn6 fbody ( actually a guy I know has ran a 13.5 in his WS6 bird bone stock at my track ( he's the fastest F body that I know of bone stock though)....

The point is that 13.5 is a serious A** whooping compared to 13.9...

We had the same 60 fts...2.1-2.2....

He hung right there till around 50 mph and then the LS1 just pulls hard...

Ive raced all of them ( het what mach1 guy dosent want a shot at a stock vette)...

And by 50-60 mph I always pulled them like they were standing still...

Then my friend is like...Well your LS1 is 350 HP and stronger than the manual camaro engine by like 30 HP....

I tried to explain how my 2.73 geared C5 was no faster than a MN6 f body but these guys just wouldnt except that Fast Fords had lied to them and that the only way a Mach1 was gonna take a LS1 is if the LS1 got a 60 ft that was a tenth or two slower.....

I challange any bone stock Mack1 to go race a 1998 bone stock camaro with the 2.73 gears from a 70 mph roll to 120 mph...

To me mach1 guys are kinda like STI wannabe's....The car can launch good and sometimes pull a 13.2 at 105 mph off a 1.9 60 ft....

Kinda like how the STI can pull a 13.2 at 103 mph off a 1.7 60 ft...

LOOK AT THOSE WEEK MPH's....

The mn6 LS1 F body can pull the same 13.2 off a 2.1 60 ft at 107 mph...

Some F bodys hit 109 mph...Popular science got a fire bird to run 109 mph bone stock.....

The point is that if Mach1's were really hitting 105-109 mph like the F bodys do I would say there in the same league....

But they are in the 103-107 range....

More like an A4 LS1...

So when ever I here Mach1's compare there car to an LS1....I just cant help but to laugh.....I dont care about internet becnch racing...

ive raced them at the same track under the same conditions numerous times...And there has never /ever/ever never been a stock mack1 at my track that ran a 13.5 like my C5 and one of the fbodys has done...

The cobras at my track are only running 13.2-13.4......I drive a vette..Who do you think the first person is who wants to come ask me what i ran stock..

The 03 cobra guys.....Then i ask them to return the favor and the current record for a stock 03 cobra at my track is a 13.2....

HOW THE HECK IS A MACH1 GONNA RUN 13.5??????????

The internet just blows my mind

AMAZING what a car can (and can't) run with someone behind the wheel that doesn't know what they're doing.

Stock Mach's like to be shifted quite a bit differently than '01 & earlier Cobras, a car that they are often compared to as "The same car - only with the IRS instead of a solid axle.

Unfortunately, they're not that similar due to rear-end gearing, tq/hp curves, etc, so most folks just shift them way too high and/or @ the same rpm for all 3 gear changes.

This kills mph & results in poor ET.

Completely stock Mach's like to be shifted at 6600/6500/6100 rpms and those shift points (or close to shift points) can increase mph significantly & drop ET anywhere from .2 - .4.

Add to that the fact that the stock Mustang tach is pretty lazy when racing & you get folks racing that shift way too late for the power/torque curve.

I did the same thing myself numerous times in my Mach before I found out (from the guys running the low ET's/high trap speeds stock) what the shift points were.

Even with my modded Mach, I still short-shift the 3/4 change by quite a bit & that results in the lowest ET/highest trap speeds.

Of course you won't believe any of the above, but I honestly really don't give a flying ****...

Last edited by Angus66; 02-11-2006 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Launching!

We race,you lose,that's all that matters.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2.73 Vette

You sound like the 900rwhp Supra boys. Anyways, I suspect your bluffing on the whole left nut thing, I doubt you have any left with the way you like to wager.

Tony
Old 02-11-2006, 02:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AMAZING what a car can (and can't) run with someone behind the wheel that doesn't know what they're doing.

Stock Mach's like to be shifted quite a bit differently than '01 & earlier Cobras, a car that they are often compared to as "The same car - only with the IRS instead of a solid axle.

Unfortunately, they're not that similar due to rear-end gearing, tq/hp curves, etc, so most folks just shift them way too high and/or @ the same rpm for all 3 gear changes.

This kills mph & results in poor ET.

Completely stock Mach's like to be shifted at 6600/6500/6100 rpms and those shift points (or close to shift points) can increase mph significantly & drop ET anywhere from .2 - .4.

Add to that the fact that the stock Mustang tach is pretty lazy when racing & you get folks racing that shift way too late for the power/torque curve.

I did the same thing myself numerous times in my Mach before I found out (from the guys running the low ET's/high trap speeds stock) what the shift points were.

Even with my modded Mach, I still short-shift the 3/4 change by quite a bit & that results in the lowest ET/highest trap speeds.

Of course you won't believe any of the above, but I honestly really don't give a flying ****...
I believe he probably doesn't run at a fast track. I know for a fact that you wouldn't come close to pulling an 11 sec. pass at Bandimere Raceway. All tracks are at different altitude, have more/less track prep, etc... Maybe at his track Cobras do run a best of 13.2 sec. stock. Mach 1's are quick, and a driver's race for an LS1 from what I hear, but I don't think they are on par with a vette.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Your son has an amazing car. Can kill Mach's and Cobra's with ease and barely kills your crazy fast 04 goat with a CAI. Wow.