Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Stock 02 Z06 loses to pulleyed Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Stock 02 Z06 loses to pulleyed Cobra

First off I have the Z and it is bone stock. I lost twice fair and square. I have some questions though. This guy Tony, who turns out to be a very nice guy, calls me out at the track yesterday. He says he has a stock GT and wants to see how it stacks up against a stock Z06. I say sure and pull down to the line. He pulls up in a 03 Cobra with MT ET streets on it. He then says he only has a pulley. Well we run. He runs an 11.41 @ 121.59. I run a 12.20 @ 115.62. I ask him to pull around for another go and he declines and goes back to ice the blower. Well we run again later and he runs an 11.48 @ 121.72 to my 12.08 @115.95. No biggie. We talk for a while and he still claims to only have a pulley. I didn't really press the issue because I don't really care if I win or loose. I am out there for the best time I can get with my car. Question. Is it possible to run those kind of numbers with just a pulley? That seems like a 100rwhp increase to me from one mod? Don't most stock Cobras trap around 114 at the most?

Brett
Old 01-16-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no idea what they do at the track but pullied full exhaust tuned 03/04 cobras can put down 465rwhp no problem... so him on tires w/ those mods isnt ubelievable
Old 01-16-2006, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

When Cobra guys say they "just have a pulley" it generally means they're
running an upper pulley with all the supporting mods, such as exhaust, CAI, etc.

114mph is a great trap speed for a stock Cobra. It's within reach, but difficult to
attain without some serious driving skills.

Just for comparison sake, I went 11.29 @ 123mph on Nittos with a 2.76 upper
pulley, a CAI, a catback, and a tune. I was around 460rwhp at the time if I
recall correctly.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:54 AM
Teching In

The GT ploy he used on you was pretty suspect, but everything else is very possible. He also has a tune with that pulley since the engine life would be short without the tune. Adding a pulley takes you from 9 psi to around 14 psi of boost depending on the pulley size. I'm also thinking he's got a different air filter and maybe at least a cat back exhaust. I gained about 40 hp from just a CAI and Catback on my car. A pullied cobra is a totally different animal then a stock cobra and then thow in the MT's. What was his 60' times?

Lance
Old 01-16-2006, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Listen to Unit. He obviously knows his stuff. The next level of cobra performance is usually the port job on the blower or even a upper/lower pulley combination and some go with a shot of nitrous. Those guys can get into the 10's.

Lance
Old 01-16-2006, 12:38 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

The day I decided to get a Cobra was this. My buddies LS1 a4. Mild cam and ported ls1 heads 380rwhp. We lined up next to a guy in a Yellow Cobra with 4, I said 4 people in it! This guy was going down. We beat his *** through 2nd and into 3rd all I hear was like a chainsaw chasing us! The bitch passed us at an easy 5-6mph! When I was calling local guys selling Cobras, guess who I called? This guy lived in my neighborhood and I never knew it. I wanted to drive it and all he had done was a CAI, 2.8 pulley and good tune. He kicked our *** with 4 people in the car. My SS was faster than my buds A4, but I was bored with it so......now I have the bad *** Cobra. Love both cars but, both are so different. Had to have one. Plus Unit would'nt shut up...Kenne Bell this, Kenne Bell that! JK!!
Old 01-16-2006, 12:44 PM

As a side note. I drove one stock Cobra and it was so F&cking slow I was not going to buy one. Then I drove the one I ended up buying and it had exhaust, cai, 2.8 and tune. Night and day difference! This was a beast compared to the stock one. Easy 70+ rwhp difference. My .02 cents.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by red2003cobra
Listen to Unit. He obviously knows his stuff.
This man is wise beyond his years.

Originally Posted by red2003cobra
The next level of cobra performance is usually the port job on the blower or even a upper/lower pulley combination and some go with a shot of nitrous. Those guys can get into the 10's.
Correct again. 10's are very possible with just the ported blower and the necessary
supporting mods (injectors, BAP, exhaust, CAI, heat exchanger, etc). Add nitrous
and hold the **** on!

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Plus Unit would'nt shut up...Kenne Bell this, Kenne Bell that! JK!!
Now I'm talking about turbo this, turbo that.

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
I drove one stock Cobra and it was so F&cking slow I was not going to buy one.
I agree. Mine felt like a turd too in stock trim. They are deceiving though
since the pull is so smooth. I went 13.0 @ 111mph on a horrible 2.4 60' when stock.
That's still not too shabby. It just didn't feel fast.

Pray

That guy must've been pretty shaddy to say he wanted to run you in a GT then
show up in a modified Cobra on some tires. Good runs though based on your
times...nothing wrong with that at all!
Old 01-16-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pray
First off I have the Z and it is bone stock. I lost twice fair and square. I have some questions though. This guy Tony, who turns out to be a very nice guy, calls me out at the track yesterday. He says he has a stock GT and wants to see how it stacks up against a stock Z06. I say sure and pull down to the line. He pulls up in a 03 Cobra with MT ET streets on it. He then says he only has a pulley. Well we run. He runs an 11.41 @ 121.59. I run a 12.20 @ 115.62. I ask him to pull around for another go and he declines and goes back to ice the blower. Well we run again later and he runs an 11.48 @ 121.72 to my 12.08 @115.95. No biggie. We talk for a while and he still claims to only have a pulley. I didn't really press the issue because I don't really care if I win or loose. I am out there for the best time I can get with my car. Question. Is it possible to run those kind of numbers with just a pulley? That seems like a 100rwhp increase to me from one mod? Don't most stock Cobras trap around 114 at the most?

Brett

Now go throw on a TNT wet shot, and some drag radials,...and tell him you JUST did that, added drag radials only. Then line up again.

Evil ford bastard.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:10 PM

Unit....

Now I'm talking about turbo this, turbo that.

So sell me your KB and buy the turbos. Why the F&ck are you doing that? I see Helions only making 700rwhp, I know with fuel and boost, you do too. Good luck, Im using you as my testbed. Just say, " Jason, don't do this, but go ahead and do this." Works for me!
Old 01-16-2006, 02:16 PM
Administrator

PM'ing you Jayplay...I don't to hijack Pray's thread.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the responses guys. I knew that there were some knowlegable Cobra guys on this board. I thought I would ask around about what these cars were capable of.

I now have a new found respect for some one with some skills and tires on that car. He was cutting 1.71-4 most of the day. I too drove a stock one and was not impressed so I didn't buy it. I love the Z and wouldn't trade it for any thing. The car is bone stock and almost ran in the 11's.

He actually had the announcer call me out on the PA system. So some thing may have been lost in the translation. The anouncer actually said it was a stock GT that busted my ***. So any way the driver and I talked later and he is installing a KB soon. He is actually a nice guy, I don't want to give him a bad name. I have a A@A P1sc, LT's and all other supporting mods sitting in my garage. We will run them again in the future. Competition is what drives the sport. I just wanted that 11 sec time slip stock.

Brett

Last edited by Pray; 01-16-2006 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:39 PM

Hey Pray, don't you have plans for the Z06? It seems like 10's are the norm now. Really kinda scary! I remember when I was 16, my 5.0 ran a 14.0 @ 99 and it felt like a f-ing rocket ship. Now, 11's feel sluggish! WTF is going on in my head?
Old 01-16-2006, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the responses guys. I knew that there were some knowlegable Cobra guys on this board. I thought I would ask around about what these cars were capable of.

I now have a new found respect for some one with some skills and tires on that car. He was cutting 1.71-4 most of the day. I too drove a stock one and was not impressed so I didn't buy it. I love the Z and wouldn't trade it for any thing. The car is bone stock and almost ran in the 11's.

He actually had the announcer call me out on the PA system. So some thing may have been lost in the translation. The anouncer actually said it was a stock GT that busted my ***. So any way the driver and I talked later and he is installing a KB soon. He is actually a nice guy, I don't want to give him a bad name. I have a A@A P1sc, LT's and all other supporting mods sitting in my garage. We will run them again in the future. Competition is what drives the sport. I just wanted that 11 sec time slip stock.

Brett
Was it the all black cobra, if so don't worry I put the smack down on him twice. Once when I had a 100 shot and he was on street tires, then again when I had the 155 and he had his MT's on.
Good running car though.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Your doing great, no shame in losing to a 460rw Cobra. You'll need full bolt-ons to take down one of those. Nice times for a stock Z.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah...some cobra guys are really loose with their mods..."just a pully" is like me tellin someone im cam only without leaving out the fact of the juice...
buddy of mine in his 04 cobra put down 460ish to the wheels with pullies and tune and 565 on a 35shot with over 650rwtq...insane numbers and the car is absolutely insanely quick.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is an all black Cobra with black Torque Thrust rims. I don't know if that is the same guy or not.

I do have plans for the Z. I have an A@A P1sc, LT's and some other supporting mods sitting in my garage right now. That should put me some where around 600rwhp. But the stock bottom end on the Z is pretty much maxed out at that hp. I will be running 10's soon.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:11 AM
On The Tree

It is an all black Cobra with black Torque Thrust rims. I don't know if that is the same guy or not.

I do have plans for the Z. I have an A@A P1sc, LT's and some other supporting mods sitting in my garage right now. That should put me some where around 600rwhp. But the stock bottom end on the Z is pretty much maxed out at that hp. I will be running 10's soon.
Ya thats him, nothing like a A4 SS with a lid,exhaust and the spray to ruin a cobras day.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:17 AM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 99SSLS1
...nothing like a A4 SS with a lid,exhaust and the spray to ruin a cobras day.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99SSLS1
Ya thats him, nothing like a A4 SS with a lid,exhaust and the spray to ruin a cobras day.