Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Got busted street racing this morning....

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got busted street racing this morning....

A buddy I work with has a 96 gt with an s-trim and 03 cobra shortblock @ 6lbs making 350rwhp. We race every once in a while leaving work. On the top end he can inch by me but any lower speeds I beat him pretty easily(making 325rwhp na).

My tuner tweaked my car alittle the other day and added two degrees of timing with it now running better than ever. We decided to test the changes when we got out of work at 5AM this morning.

We leave from midway through second and I'm pulling instantly. I plan to just wrap out 3rd and stop but just before I'm done I see a cop in the turning lane facing me as I pass him doing a good 75+ in a 50mph zone. Lights are on and I immediately pull over. I'm thinking great, a ticket for who knows how many violations.

The first thing the constable says when he comes to my window is "guess who's going to jail first." He was a younger cop, upper 20s and seemed pretty excited about pulling us over, like we made his day. He's cussing some and just emphasizing how bad we're screwed. As he's running our plates I hear him broadcast, "yeah, both cars are mustangs, caught them racing."

After he runs everything he then comes over much calmer and is just asking simple questions. He then asks if I am a firefighter at work or emt. I tell him yes, we both are. He lectures me some more and then tells us we're just getting a verbal and to get the hell out of here! I was actually shocked but gladly obeyed.

Now yes I street race but I try to do it as wisely as possible(if that exists). It was 5am on an open road and didn't see much harm in it other than the obvious laws.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS2 KLR
A buddy I work with has a 96 gt with an s-trim and 03 cobra shortblock @ 6lbs making 350rwhp. We race every once in a while leaving work. On the top end he can inch by me but any lower speeds I beat him pretty easily(making 325rwhp na).

My tuner tweaked my car alittle the other day and added two degrees of timing with it now running better than ever. We decided to test the changes when we got out of work at 5AM this morning.

We leave from midway through second and I'm pulling instantly. I plan to just wrap out 3rd and stop but just before I'm done I see a cop in the turning lane facing me as I pass him doing a good 75+ in a 50mph zone. Lights are on and I immediately pull over. I'm thinking great, a ticket for who knows how many violations.

The first thing the constable says when he comes to my window is "guess who's going to jail first." He was a younger cop, upper 20s and seemed pretty excited about pulling us over, like we made his day. He's cussing some and just emphasizing how bad we're screwed. As he's running our plates I hear him broadcast, "yeah, both cars are mustangs, caught them racing."

After he runs everything he then comes over much calmer and is just asking simple questions. He then asks if I am a firefighter at work or emt. I tell him yes, we both are. He lectures me some more and then tells us we're just getting a verbal and to get the hell out of here! I was actually shocked but gladly obeyed.

Now yes I street race but I try to do it as wisely as possible(if that exists). It was 5am on an open road and didn't see much harm in it other than the obvious laws.
It's definitely possible to street race wisely. The biggest risk is another non-racing car.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

wow great break. I keep seeing more and more stories o nthe news of street racing gone bad. Like the 2 kids in mercedes' or whatever and one hit a taxi driver an dkilled him ,well anyway... be careful and great break, keep it safe and remember. next time you prolly wont get that break

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 01-27-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

He threatend you with jailtime? Damn, it's crazy how laws change from state to state. Here in Massachusettes it's a $200-$500 fine (plus speeding ticket), and maybe a 30 day licence suspension. According to my book of Mass. driving laws you get the fine and suspension, but from everyone I've talked to, there is just the fine.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

Since its tehnically a class B misdemeanor, its the officers call if he wants to take you in. Had it been 5pm, I could of understood but since we were racing with little to no traffic, I don't feel it would have been justified.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Junkie

You caught a hell of a break man. A sheriff deputy recently got killed close to one of the chemical plants in the area and they have been really cracking down on speeding. He probably gave you a break because you are an ER...
Old 01-28-2006, 01:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Obviously the cop is cool with you racing. Think about it ... if you get into a fiery crash and injure somebody, both you and your buddy could put out the fire and perform emergency resuscitiation! Probably get paid overtime also.

Good kill.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:16 AM
TECH Resident

Sounds like you dodged a bullet by getting stopped by a younger cop. Yeah you are an ER, but chances are, the cop was probably a car guy himself and wasn't going to do anything in the first place if you both had clean records (which you do). I got stopped the other day when I wrapped out 2nd testing my retune to make sure I didn't get any pinging and so forth. The guy who stopped me was younger and was smirking a little bit the whole time. He ended up giving me a warning and told me not to do that kind of stuff in front of a cop. Obviously I didn't see him when I got on it, but he was cool about it. I've also had a motorcycle cop try to talk me into a doing a burnout. As long as you're smart about it, cops around here are pretty lenient with street racing. Drunk driving is a different story though... But it should be that way too.

Jason
Old 01-28-2006, 01:30 AM
TECH Regular

The cop did mention he use to have a hot rod but didn't give any details. I've been pulled over twice before for racing. Once I sped up to catch a fox body and met him at a light. I took off spinning, kicking rocks everywhere. What I didn't see was a cop behind me at the light, lol. He was pulling me over for speeding and as soon as I left the light, his lights came on He gave me a ticket for speeding and a warning on the rest.

The other time was also at a light and I only took it til second. The cop was a car behind me and quickly turned on the flashers. He pulled me over and asked if I was racing. I said yes and then he started asking me about my mods. He told me he has seen my car many times and really liked it. He told me to have a good day and that was it.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:05 AM
11 Second Club

Just curious....if your friend has a forged bottom end, why is he only putting out 6 lbs. of boost?

-Will
Old 01-28-2006, 05:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TARZAN
Just curious....if your friend has a forged bottom end, why is he only putting out 6 lbs. of boost?

-Will

He's an idiot, lol. He's had the pulley at his house for about a year that will give him 12-14lbs but just hasn't gotten around to putting it one The latest story I was told was that it was definately going on next month.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Wow, lucky break... Good to hear you got a warning though
Old 01-28-2006, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

I chuckled when you said constable.

Dan
Old 01-28-2006, 04:26 PM
10 Second Club

that is scary- i got lucky once before, got caught and the cop let me off.

i ran some guy in a camaro w/a 355, burnt him but saw the police lights afterwards. the guy in the 355 and i both pulled over and the cop went to the camaro first. the guy in the camaro had a "fraternal order of police" badge in his window that he got from his friend, so i think that helped alot with the cop letting us off.

the cop was really cool and said how he saw us doing our burnouts, he was a few cars back in traffic. he turned on his lights and a couple seconds later we both just launched . obviously we didn't see him.

he said he HAD to pull us over since all of the traffic (behind us- the road was dead clear for a mile in front of us and dividers on both sides so it was very safe) saw us race right in front of him, if he didn't pull us over somebody could complain that he is letting people street race and he could loose his job. i remember he said "hell, i'd love to watch- you guys were not really hurting anything, there were no cars in sight".

he told me to be careful and just left. didn't even tell us to not race anymore or anything. cool cop...
Old 01-28-2006, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Curious, what street/plant were you by?
Old 01-28-2006, 06:24 PM
11 Second Club

Wow, lucky you caught that break, I think I would have wet my pants if I heard the word jail. Good to hear you got off. Just be smart.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jester
Curious, what street/plant were you by?
I work at Lyondell on Bay Area blvd. We were racing heading towards Fairmont.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:15 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Note to self: Become a fireman/EMT
Old 01-31-2006, 07:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSpeedracer
Obviously the cop is cool with you racing. Think about it ... if you get into a fiery crash and injure somebody, both you and your buddy could put out the fire and perform emergency resuscitiation! Probably get paid overtime also.

Good kill.

lmao
Old 01-31-2006, 07:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Note to self: Become a fireman/EMT

Has worked for me several times... but not the last two