Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Should I run an mr2 for money.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 25psi
And to respond to your rediculous comments LSIAN7, what do you mean mr2's can't make that much power. Mr2's can produce just as much on stock internals than any evo or maybe even more. I've never heard of any Evo making in access of 1000hp. Ams is close, but have not done it yet. If you are unfamiliar with a car, please keep your lack of knowledge to a minimum

I haven't heard of an Evo making a 1000 whp either, so? I wasn't saying anything about Evo's, or stock internals. Why am I at a lack of knowledge? Because I said I didn't think MR2's could make 600-700 whp? Show me some then. That is what I thought. Maybe you will find one or two. Is that the norm? Don't think so. What all does your badass MR2 have on it? Do you make 600-700 whp? You said yours wasn't the norm.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.suprastore.com/topsecsuport.html

Do you not remember this video: https://ls1tech.com/forums/street-racing-kill-stories/90973-mr2-turbo-vs-transam-w-bolt-s-150-shot.html

JGTC used the 3sgte in there supra, mr-s, hell hks used it in there supra and IS300. The list goes on and on.

You also have to take in consideration, that there where only 4-5000 turbo mr2's sold in the US. Not like 2-300,000 civics you might come across.

Do a search, I'm not going to sit here and post pics of 700+hp mr2's.

I made 484whp at 18psi, with a slipping clutch 2 weeks ago. My goal this week is to crank it up to 30psi and see what she'll do.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

You showed me one car. With one of the biggest turbos out there, at almost 28 lbs. That T88 Thumper turbo would belittle your turbo. And it was built to hell, and IN A SUPRA. That was a race car build.

Oh, and I searched everywhere before I posted that. I didn't see one MR2 in that range. A couple in the 500+ but that was it. So don't post any, I don't care. I know there aren't too many. End of story.

And BTW, if you really made that much power, then cool. I bet it runs real well, and you should beat the **** out of that Camaro.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LSINA7
You showed me one car. With one of the biggest turbos out there, at almost 28 lbs. That T88 Thumper turbo would belittle your turbo. And it was built to hell, and IN A SUPRA. That was a race car build.

Oh, and I searched everywhere before I posted that. I didn't see one MR2 in that range. A couple in the 500+ but that was it. So don't post any, I don't care. I know there aren't too many. End of story.

And BTW, if you really made that much power, then cool. I bet it runs real well, and you should beat the **** out of that Camaro.
Go to streetfire and search for MR2. There are quite a few.
From a roll you'll lose. From a dig a better chance.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:24 PM
Launching!

^^^^^I don't think MR2's are capable of that kind of power, maybe you are talking about on a DSM? You can't give a turbo a Hp number, because a gt40r on a geo will give you a different power output then if it was on a Corvette. A Gt40r is popular for RX-7's and Supra's, even high hp Evo's.

Never heard of a turbo that big on a MR2. Sounds a little wierd. Either way, that **** is pretty huge for that little car. Find out what kind of boost and if he runs race gas. Also, run from a dig if possible. Torque is your friend and lag is his enemy.

You can absolutely guive a max power number to a turbo. A turbo determines the max airflow of the system period. If you put a 550cfm turbo on an NA powerplant that flows 750, it will be a restriction and the 750 capable motor will only get 50 and thats what determines power output. Both 2.0L DSMs and 2.4L DSMs will top out at perhaps 420WHP max with a 42lbs/minute Evo III 16G for intance. The 2.4 will likely make it at a lower rpm and have broader torque, but then thats a bigger question of tuning and other parts.
Similarly, you could put a 750 cfm turbo on a tiny arsed engine, and it will determine the max power there as well, although that little engine might have to rev to 10K to use it.

MR2 turbos use the venerable 3SGTE motor, which is a steel block, aluminum head DOHC 2L. Very nice motor, not as stout as a 4G63 IMHO, but quite nice. I have heard of 600WHP cars, but they are pretty damn undrivable.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:27 PM
Launching!

I doubt this race will happen, but:

MR2s can launch pretty well. MR means great transfer to the rear wheels. And he might be able to launch high that way and really have the turbo spooling well. So honestly It depends on the drivers and suspension as far as dig or roll goes.

What kind of heads? What kind of power? Seriously, are you sure you have said mods? If you dont and he really is running a GT40 efficiently, your dead. If you do who knows?
Old 01-28-2006, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sparetire
You can absolutely guive a max power number to a turbo. A turbo determines the max airflow of the system period. If you put a 550cfm turbo on an NA powerplant that flows 750, it will be a restriction and the 750 capable motor will only get 50 and thats what determines power output. Both 2.0L DSMs and 2.4L DSMs will top out at perhaps 420WHP max with a 42lbs/minute Evo III 16G for intance. The 2.4 will likely make it at a lower rpm and have broader torque, but then thats a bigger question of tuning and other parts.
Similarly, you could put a 750 cfm turbo on a tiny arsed engine, and it will determine the max power there as well, although that little engine might have to rev to 10K to use it.

MR2 turbos use the venerable 3SGTE motor, which is a steel block, aluminum head DOHC 2L. Very nice motor, not as stout as a 4G63 IMHO, but quite nice. I have heard of 600WHP cars, but they are pretty damn undrivable.
How can you give a number to a turbo, when displacement is going to decide power? You can't tell me a GT47r on a b-series motor will reach the same output as on a LS1 or a 2JZ.

That guy said that turbo was good to 600-700 horsepower yet I have seen over 800 on a Supra, and I doubt my Honda Civic with that turbo could make in that range.

That was what I was saying, not too many 600-700 horsepower cars.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

How can you give a number to a turbo, when displacement is going to decide power? You can't tell me a GT47r on a b-series motor will reach the same output as on a LS1 or a 2JZ.

That guy said that turbo was good to 600-700 horsepower yet I have seen over 800 on a Supra, and I doubt my Honda Civic with that turbo could make in that range.

Displacement is only partial when determing hp. For smaller displacement engines, rpms will decide power. How do you think BMW's 1.5 liter motor made 1500hp?
Old 01-28-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Again you speaking on something you know nothing about. A Greddy t88 are Mitsubishi turbos, which in turn are smaller then your average t88's by garret or turbonetics. A gt40r is good for 700-800whp. Now if we where talking about a greddy t8834h which is good for over 1000hp then that would be different. That turbo on the supra is comprable to what I am running now.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sparetire

http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.ph...ht=4cyl+engine

This was a poll taken on the rx7 forum on the best 4cyl motor ever built. The 3sgte was supposed to be polled but was not for some reason. But obviously it was polled the best.

You have to remember it was built as a race engine sort of like the 2jz.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:08 AM
Staging Lane

http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.ph...ht=4cyl+engine

This was a poll taken on the rx7 forum on the best 4cyl motor ever built. The 3sgte was supposed to be polled but was not for some reason. But obviously it was polled the best.

You have to remember it was built as a race engine sort of like the 2jz.
AGain, I said nothing wrong about about the engine. I like them, what is your point of this post?
Old 01-29-2006, 08:12 AM
Staging Lane

Again you speaking on something you know nothing about. A Greddy t88 are Mitsubishi turbos, which in turn are smaller then your average t88's by garret or turbonetics. A gt40r is good for 700-800whp. Now if we where talking about a greddy t8834h which is good for over 1000hp then that would be different. That turbo on the supra is comprable to what I am running now.
The turbo you posted on that Supra was a T88-34D, sorry I didn't see that.
Yes the Trust turbos systems are smaller than you would think compared to others, but what does all this have to do with anything? Why do you say I know nothing about that, because I thought the turbo was a t88 thumper/t88-34h turbo, like the one on Gary White's Supra? Yet I know nothing about this topic.

None of this stupid battle has proved me wrong, I say MR2's don't make 600-700 whp very often if hardly at all. Prove me wrong. I have searched around for about 30 mintues. Not a thing.

Even with a turbonetics T-106, I don't see a MR2 3-gste motor making the same power as a 2jz-gte, so how can you give the turbo a horsepower number? In a Turbonetics catalog it probably says good for 2,600 horsepower. Make that.

I'm done with this, I like MR2's, but the original response was that there are plenty of 700+ MR2's, for me to search. Haven't found a thing.

Edit: When I say how can you give a turbo a horsepower number, this was meant for all cars. Not a specific car. Look back at my post. That was car specific when you said something about it. If you are referring to one car, then yes you can say the max it has produced. But you can't say this for all cars.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry, the MR2 has this one. I rode ina 265 rwhp MR2 on wet roads and the guy drove like it was dry and never spun a tire, they CAN HOOK, come on?!!? rear engine, rwd! A Mr2 on 30PSi should be sick.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:58 PM
10 Second Club

screw the mr2's dyno #'s, i don't know about anybody else on here but i don't race dyno's- only cars. does the mr2 have a slip to back anything up?

who cares about the motor also, just race...

i'd like to see the mr2 against a stalled-auto + properly setup ls1 with the same dyno'd hp, then come back and explain why a heavier car blew his ******* doors off but dyno'd the same power.

i think the mr2 is sandbagging, and should go look for races in properly setup cars. a stick ls1 with a newer driver (he said he just bought it) that doesn't even know the exact modifications on the car- this sounds like the ever so popular stories that i read "hey- i beat a heads/cam/150shot/turbo/blower/periferal port/427/iron block ls1 with my ______ car so i guess im running 9's"
Old 01-29-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

My friend has one with 230whp its quick but i just beat him bye a fender in my blazer on only a 75 shot w/ exhaust pullies and intake so ya go ahead and rape him!

he's only pushing 14psi w/ Greddy intercooler, BOV, HKS intake, hallman MBC, MSD wires/SCI, 3" turboback

Last edited by 02Vortech; 01-29-2006 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:42 PM
Banned

Nice run 25psi. (Vid coming soon)

Well today I met up wit 25psi for a friendly run. After some pm's to eachother we finally had a chance to see what each car had. So we decided to meet up on 45 S. by Nasa Rd 1. The first run I wanted to see what would happen with me off the bottle(bad decision). We took off from a 40 punch and instantly jump out about 1/2 a car, then suddenly I hear this noice sounded like an f'n plane and he passes by me like I was standing still. Wow I have never been beaten like this before, even when I raced my friends Zo6 on gas. 2nd race same mph. I decided to see how he would do against my 150 shot. We take off, again I jump out on him 2-3 cars. 100mph passes by then I see him in my rear view cathing up. 120 mph comes and hes at my freaking door. When 150 comes hes 1/2 a car in front of me. We slowed down pulled over to check out eachothers cars and I must say, I was mighty impressed. All this was done on 21 psi of boost(low boost). I would hate to run him next week on 30-35psi.

Vid coming soon.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

from a dig man get it from a dig
Old 01-29-2006, 07:52 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like I said, MR2's can be mean, I lvoe the little buggers, tehy just look great to me. Props on the race and clean follow up post.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Racing an MR2 from a Dig is a very bad idea....

Specially with a standalone. With the AEM you have full 2 step launch control and gear selectable boost.

He can set it up to launch on 10 psi and gradually incease the boost in each gear meaning 1.5 60's in first and 35psi boost down the strip.

I had a Friend that use to cut 1.4's on nitto 555r drag radials
Old 01-30-2006, 11:56 AM
Launching!

As said before, the turbo determines max airflow. No matter how baddass the engine, the turbo will determine how much air is getting into it. So lets make a specific example. Lets say you have a monster turbo good for 60 lbs of air per minute. Just to give a compairison, the Mitsu 20G is good for about 44lbs/min. Lets say you put Mr. 60lber on a B18 Civic and on a Viper. The Viper will flow at most 60 lbs of air. The B18 will flow at most (you guessed it) 60 lbs of air. Now the B18 will have to rev to the moon and be modded out the *** to do it, but that is its' max flow capacity. The Viper on the other hand likely would not need to much to use all that flow. At some point, you would see the boost pressure drop off and/or the intake temps skyrocket to the moon causing knock in the Viper, as the V10 revs increased and it started to simply swallow more air than the turbo can provide. At that point, the turbo becomes a restriction, limiting power.
You would see the power peak on the dyno moving lower into the rpm band, and power falling off way to early in the rev range. The Viper simply will not make any more, unless you use nitrous. Same for the B18. It will hit a point where it can not make any more power with that 60lb turbo without nitrous. And since engines are big air pumps that max number will be in the same range for both. The amount of air you can swallow determines how much power you make. Now the B18 might be at 10K to make the power the Viper makes at 6K, but the max power will be in the same range. The Viper would have a slightly higher number for max, as its greater displacement would result in a more efficient burn (at least theoretically). But thats not going to be more than 100hp more.

This is not at all far fetched. A 2.3 or 2.4L DSM with a aftermarket intake mani and cams will esaly outrun a 42lb/min E3 16G in the upper revs. The engine can simply start to eat all the air the turbo can provide. Look on some DSM boards and you will hear all about guys who can get 25psi on the 16G, but how the boost falls to 20PSI or 19PSI by redline as the flow gets up to 42lbs/minute. This is an excellent example. Its also why no DSM will crack 450WHP on a E3 16G turbo, no matter if its a 2L or a 2.4L. The 2L just has to rev higher to do it. In fact, there are plenty of high reving cammed 2L's that do just that with 16Gs. And if you put a single E3 16G on said Viper, it would not get more than 500WHP. The turbo would choke it off. Put a stock T-25 from a 2G DSM on it and you would have turbo Viper making less power than stock.
You actually see this on many factory turbo cars, like Audi/VW 1.8T motors. They have great lowend for daily duty, but crap top end because the K03 turbo is so freaking weak on all out flow. The motor really needs more air to make any more power. This is why a lil 1.8 Audi turbo 4 has a torque peak in the same area as a LS1, though its much much less.

Quick Reply: Should I run an mr2 for money.