Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Should I run an mr2 for money.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 25psi
Thanx mr2liter, its been a long project. I've been working on my turbo 350z now. Not nearly as fast as the deuce, but quick as of now.

When is your beast going to be through? I've been reading and hearing about your car. Whats the update?
It put down some good numbers. Very good. haha. Im waiting on my brakes to come in so i can take it out and play. Ive got a race setup with a built SC zo6 on the 11th. Ill let you know how it turns out.
Here is my fav pic.

Sergey
Old 02-01-2006, 11:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MR2liter
Yea thats Jeff Burkes car from Canada. In that Video on the highway pulls he is only making 615whp and TQ in the high 400s. He was still running a dual exhaust out the back on this setup. When we went for 800whp he changed his exhaust to exit out the pass side sidevent.
That's absolutely crazy! I wanted a MR2 really bad before I bought the Z. Cause of my situation with school coming up and stuff I may consider selling the car in like a year. I don't want to cause I absolutely love the 350 and don't wanna go back in time. But I find myself leaning more towards a 93-94 MR2 turbo more and more lately (If I can Find One) lol. Are these guys all from Canada or you like from the US somewhere?
Old 02-02-2006, 01:37 AM
TECH Regular

There is a guy im Miami , Tony. He is making over 790 on boost alone.

He ran a 10.1 @ 140 on drag radials on low boost.
Originally Posted by 2K2T/A
There's a local guy here who puts down 850RWHP all boost and close to a 1000 on juice.

This is Jeff Burke from Canada. The white Mr2 from the highway video.

This is Davin Lashbrook from Arizona. He is also making 750+. This is his old setup with 2bar t78 and a 100juice. He has went with a better motor and turbo combo. He is making 700+ on boost now.
http://www.madpowaz.com/mr2vids/1075DavidL.wmv

This is MIke Colon from florida. He is making also 750+ with a low boost nitrous combo. Running low 10s in the 140s with traction problems.

Old 02-02-2006, 01:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DemitriHKS
. But I find myself leaning more towards a 93-94 MR2 turbo more and more lately (If I can Find One) lol. Are these guys all from Canada or you like from the US somewhere?
Im in north texas. Ive got a buddy with a clean red 93t let me know if youre intrested.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:28 AM
Teching In

I always wanted to make a project car out of an MR2, I always thought they looked pretty badass little cars lol
Old 02-02-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dimitrihks, what have you done to you z and are you on the my350z forum? I have a turbo 350z if you want to check it out.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Where is the vid?
Old 02-02-2006, 01:03 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After seeing how easy the 93-4 MR2T's are to mod, i kick myself for going 5.0 But, it is what it is and its pretty dang fun
Old 02-02-2006, 01:06 PM
Launching!

yeah, I pulled up next to a mr2 the other nite, it had a scoop in the back for whatever reason, and had exhaust, and racing crap all over it.... it wasn't even worth my time :-\
Old 02-02-2006, 03:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MagikMan
yeah, I pulled up next to a mr2 the other nite, it had a scoop in the back for whatever reason, and had exhaust, and racing crap all over it.... it wasn't even worth my time :-\
Yea its sad. 95% of the mr2s you will run into on the street are either riced out or have 5k$ worth of mods and still dont make over 300whp. Then there are those 5% that you should watch out for.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sparetire
Basicly, the turbo is the controlling factor in how much air gets in and out. After it hits its max flow rating, it simply cant flow any more. At that point it is a restriction, not a power adder. Thus the engine simply will not be able to get any more air. Thus it will not make any more power.
Um no. As long as you are buidling pressure in the intake manifold (or boost) then it is still a power adder. maxing the flow of the turbo does not mean it's a restriction.

oh ya and mr2s are sweet but too small for my tastes.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MR2liter
Im in north texas. Ive got a buddy with a clean red 93t let me know if youre intrested.
That's cool and I appreciate the looking out. But I love my car to give it up only after a year of having it. I may consider it......may consider it in another year or so.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 25psi
Dimitrihks, what have you done to you z and are you on the my350z forum? I have a turbo 350z if you want to check it out.
Hey what's up man? That's awsome that you have a Turbo Z. That's something that I would love to do someday to it as well. I'm more on 350Zmotoring rather than My350Z. My car is basically a bone stock Z motor wise except for the JWT charger. I've done more to the outside than anything else. This summer I plan on doing some more performance mods.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by YlwGTO4m3
Um no. As long as you are buidling pressure in the intake manifold (or boost) then it is still a power adder. maxing the flow of the turbo does not mean it's a restriction.

Yes a turbo can be a restriction. Have you ever hear of restrictor plate racing in NASCAR? A turbo that severely cuts back flow works just like a restrictor plate. A turbo will only build so much boost before it falls too badly out of its efficiency range, builds excessive exhaust backpressure, and quits making additional manifold pressure.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

MR2s are alright i suppose, IMO if something runs 10s it doesnt matter how it does it, so long as it does it correct? Its the whole "whats it feel like on the street" factor that sets a RACE car aside from a STREET car, how do those 2 crazyly HP Mr2s drive on the street?...they do drive ont he street right?
Old 02-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by YlwGTO4m3

Dont forget though the high pressure created in the ex manifold and head due to the restriction of the turbine housing. That restriction creates back pressure which requires some boost to overcome. Aditionally, while the pressure in the intake might be above atmospheric still, the turbo will be past its max flow rating and efficency, and thus all the pressure is from very very hot air. That means that while you might still have some boost pressure, the density and thus the mass of air being moved is maxed out or decreasing.

Basicly, if you have a turbo blowing 200 degree intake air temps, you could have 10psi and not be flowing any more air because the density is crap. Remember pressure (or boost) does not equal flow. Flow is mass over time (lbs/min). Pressure is mass over area (lbs/in^2 or PSI). Hot air has more volume than dense cool air, and that volume in a fixed amount of space creates pressure (PSI). So 50lbs of cool air will create less pressure than 40lbs of hot air. The car with 40lbs/min of hot air flow will have higher boost PSI than the one with 50lbs of dense cool air flow. The 50lb of flow point in the cars rev range will make more power with the less boost on the same car and turbo. Flow determines power, not pressure.

So, that Viper with the turbo from a 1L might have 10 psi of boost at 6000rpm, yet be flowing less than if it was NA at 6000. This is due to the fact that that tiny turbo is heating the crap out the intake air and spining way out of spec rpm ranges to generate that pressure, while sacrificing flow and thus power. That heated air will cause the Viper to knock and pull ignition timing as well, which kills power. So you have less air mass being pumped, less ignition timing, all while dealing with an exsaust restriction. The Viper made its peak power on that weak turbo a long way back in the rev range and it was dissapointing, no matter if its still got boost. This is why turbo systems are so tuning sensitive. Its also a big part of why turbo choice depends of rpm range as much as displacement.

Cliffs Notes:
Pressure is not flow.
Flow determines power more or less. More flow=more power in the same setup.
Inefficent tiny turbo heats air up and creates pressure, while losing flow.
Losing flow means losing power, even with boost pressure in the intake mani.
Thus the Viper would make more power NA than with tiny turbo, even if tiny turbo is making boost.
Intake heat sucks.

Mods:
Should I repost this in FI? I'm sorry I hijacked this a bit, but its great info for guys going to FI.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry, ignore any of my posts on this thread. I saved my login and password and my 14 year old brother-in-law started using it. Sorry for they abuse.

Last edited by Genesis_26317; 02-03-2006 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mr2s get real quick real fast for just a little coin
Old 02-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Banned

These cars can't be street/emissions legal??
Old 02-03-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Genesis_26317
Wow, what the hell it up with people bitching about peoples lack of knowledge?

I didn't know a CRX could go 9 seconds with a full weight street legal car. I saw a video, it did. Then I found out the engine was pretty much out of a fighter jet (twin engine style). In my opinion if any car can go 9 seconds or has 600-700 hp it really isn't the original car anymore (I'm talking inline 4's here).

Hell when you hear about people with 427 iron blocks or resleeved LS1's and 12 bolt rears it isn't a real Camaro (or LS1) anymore.

Anyway long story short MR2's don't make 600 hp the engine that the guy made a downpayment for a house to build makes 600 hp. Then they had to replace the transmission etc etc etc.
Depending on the quality of the products you put on your car, determines the amount spent.

Me on the other hand has spent less than 20,000 on my deuce and is quite capable of a mid to high 10 sec pass. Yes this might sound pricey, but I choose quality parts and didn't skip out on anything. Or I could have taken the cheaper route and saved 5-6000.

Gt 40r turbo-1600
fullrace manifold(ex)-1200
downpipe-400
exhaust-1500
built longblock-6000
clutch-2000
standalone-2000
fuel system-1000
tuning and install 2500

And yes it still has ac and is driven 3-4 times a week.

Quick Reply: Should I run an mr2 for money.