Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Cocky F-body guys.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NVigR8
We've done it in MD all the time, both 04 and 05 gtos. There's a GTO track rental at MIR on the 9th if you care to see some go that fast stock around here.
I'll just take your word for it, dont feel like driving to md anytime soon haha.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:51 PM
12 Second Club

I'm cocky and I know it, I just don't let people hear, I usually talk to my car when I'm cocky...
Old 01-31-2006, 11:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Vette
I say the Vette becuase its about the same power as the f-body but 400lbs lighter and its way more aerodynamic.
Aerodynamics dont really count for much at trap speeds of 105-109 (rough stock MPH, i know 109 is on the HIGH end of stock, but hey) You've also got to take into account the IRS, dont get me wrong the vette is by no means a slouch, but...its not vette over fbody hands down.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NightRider_13
Stock F-bodies can beat GTO's and have done it alot so far...I ran one not long ago with alot of extra weight and still got him...

Alot of stock F's go low 13's and the occasional high 12....I've yet to see an LS1 or LS2 goat around here go that fast stock yet.
stock fbodies go mid to high 13's at fontana speedway, and they trap at 102-104mph depending on year/trannie. sound slow, but i guess the hype didn't get to us around here
Old 02-01-2006, 12:23 AM
Launching!

Yeah, it's kinda frustrating... I put the h/c in my car, and I haven't had but one decent race.... and anything I kill, I feel like a retard for posting it, because it's so much slower.... kinda sux
Old 02-01-2006, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98NBM_TransAm
Aerodynamics dont really count for much at trap speeds of 105-109 (rough stock MPH, i know 109 is on the HIGH end of stock, but hey) You've also got to take into account the IRS, dont get me wrong the vette is by no means a slouch, but...its not vette over fbody hands down.
Agreed - 110 mph is about where a stock vette should begin to pull on a stock F-body.

I got the drag numbers from the smokemup calculator.

LS1 camaro = .34 Cd and 21.6 ft^2 frontal area.
C5 coupe = .29 Cd and 19.3 ft^2 frontal area.

at 109 mph, the camaro loses 63.4 HP to wind resistance
the C5 loses 48.3 HP to wind resistance

So we have a difference of 15HP, and obviously the gap will widen as speed increases. I'd consider that 15HP to be enough to overcome the difference between IRS and solid rear end. Then consider that the F-body has a curb weight of ~150 lbs heavier and the C5 should be pulling from here onwards.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:40 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where does this wonderful calculator live? wow, maybe that GTO edged me out by 1 car b/c wind drag....yes...THAT WAS IT!! HAHA! lmao
Old 02-01-2006, 01:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just wondering, but would a M6 f-body be faster than an auto vette? a manual vette would beat the f-body for sure, but i don't think the auto would. And also, are the 03/04 Cobra's hard to launch? I heard you have to be a pretty good driver to get the power to the tires. I've never driven one, so I really have no idea. that's why i asked. But I would definately agree that the f-body's are awesome cars stock v. stock.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Stanger88
Where does this wonderful calculator live? wow, maybe that GTO edged me out by 1 car b/c wind drag....yes...THAT WAS IT!! HAHA! lmao
http://www.smokemup.com/auto_math/hp...resistance.php or a free one here: http://www.bgsoflex.com/aero.html

With the drag figures for you car you'd be losing ~68 HP to wind resistance at 109 mph.

A 2004 GTO would lose ~63 HP to drag at the same MPH so your cars are fairly close aerodynamically.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LSINA7
How about the imports? Stock Supra's can give F-bodies a good run, 6-speeds with tires and an intake have gone 12's.
Good luck finding a stock Supra to race
Old 02-01-2006, 03:53 AM
TECH Regular

Stock cars against stock cars i think there arent many cars that can run with an F-body, everything being equal. F-bodies are equal to or atleast close enough with 04 and below vettes(not ZO6), GTO's, and the 01-02 F-bodies can hang with 03/04 cobras. I dont see imports being any kind of threat, stock vs stock. There is a bit of a chance for STI's and EVO's at the dragstrip, but equal drivers abilities the f-body will win. As far as the SRT4's, Supras, or Mach 1's, with everything equal they have no chance against an F-body on the dragstrip or on the highway. The dollar vs dollar comparison was made earlier and i would say that you can put the SRT4 in the same dollar category as far as im concerned, because i look at it as not the dollar amount, but what is affordable for the everyday person. Anything at around $35k and below can be an everyday person car, anything over, is in a different price range. The vette in kinda out there by itself, but i would put it in the lower category because of its performance, not enough to mess with the big boys(ZO6, viper, ford GT)but better in all respects than the lower price range.
As for the cars that do run with F-bodies, well 03/04 cobras stock vs stock can normally edge us out a bit, but just a bit. So we are close in performance, and the cobras are great cars. Now how anyone could possibly say a mach 1 could come close when it takes a cobra to run with us, i just dont get that.
Also remember the F-bodies have been dead for a few years now and many are paid for and ready for some good modding. There prices arent that high because they are all used vehicles now. So we are still comparing a car 3+ years older against newer cars. In th end, im glad to be an American driving an American car and kicking some asses. Props to all the Camaros, Firebirds, GTO's, Vettes, and Cobras.

I also wanted to comment on the interiors and looks. Looks are ofcourse all in the eye of the beholder. I personally love the interior of my car, i dont like all that polished aluminum or nickel in the interior and i dont like the different colors. I like the nice soft dash material, the round AC holes, and how it all blends together nicely. I also loved the C5 interior with the almost rubber like dash. I love the exteriorof my car more than anything, great wheels, 18's would be perfect but the 17's are nice and look good. So I absolutely love my car, the one thing that does bother me att imes is the clunking sound it makes either from the chassis or parts of the drivetrain. But with the modding it will probably go away, and usually it is my fault that it does it anyhow.

Last edited by PewterWSSicc; 02-01-2006 at 04:16 AM.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:24 AM
Staging Lane

".....Good luck finding a stock Supra to race ......."

true, and best of luck finding a stock ls1 f-body to race!!! i know i've never seen one, ever, not since my 1st ws6 car in june of 1998. how many ls1 f-bodies in 2006 remain truely 100% bone stock? 1-3% of them? 0%?

"...The dollar vs dollar comparison was made earlier and i would say that you can put the SRT4 in the same dollar category as far as im concerned, because i look at it as not the dollar amount, but what is affordable for the everyday person...."

i do understand this point, but, it doesnt make a lot of sense, the srt4 is 33% cheaper. than the LS1 f-body, doesnt seem like apples to apples to me. that extra 10 grand you save with the srt4 would for sure transform the srt4 into a better overall performer, and, be a better daily driver. but both are great cars dont get me wrong.

......and i do see a lot of cockiness as predicted, nothin wrong with that.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Vette
I would have to say that the Vette would win hands down stock vs stock against the f-body (given equal drivers), and don't forget about the Z06! It wouldn't even be a race stock vs stock.

I say the Vette becuase its about the same power as the f-body but 400lbs lighter and its way more aerodynamic. So when chemen said "Due to a slight weight increase in the f-body vs the Corvette, at top speed f-bodys have more momentum and are faster than Corvettes" I'd have to say he smokes way too much crack! 400lbs isn't a "slight weight increase", and to think that it would be easier to move the momentum of 400 more lbs is crazy.

But each to there own.............

lol. Thanks for catching that.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Draco
Agreed - 110 mph is about where a stock vette should begin to pull on a stock F-body.

I got the drag numbers from the smokemup calculator.

LS1 camaro = .34 Cd and 21.6 ft^2 frontal area.
C5 coupe = .29 Cd and 19.3 ft^2 frontal area.

at 109 mph, the camaro loses 63.4 HP to wind resistance
the C5 loses 48.3 HP to wind resistance

So we have a difference of 15HP, and obviously the gap will widen as speed increases. I'd consider that 15HP to be enough to overcome the difference between IRS and solid rear end. Then consider that the F-body has a curb weight of ~150 lbs heavier and the C5 should be pulling from here onwards.

"....about 110mph is where a stock vette will pull on an f-body"

What the ****?

When my frc was stock, EMT's and all....i'd launch, and get put on the rear fender of 9 outta 10 times against my friends and there modded f-bodies. I was past them after 60mph....and pulling on them after that.

Not sure where your getting your figure, or what kind of dipshits you guys are raceing against but, it's kinda sad.

Now, if there is traction issues,..then ofcourse, anything can happen but,..really....110?

no it my world brother.
For example,... My dipshit frriend...coppied me, and bought the exact same car....color and all. The car has a BPP intake, and thats it. FIrst time EVER at the track on Z rated tires, 12.7 @ 111mph. Hows that for beginners luck.

What f-bodies do you know of that can do that on street tires, that have only a lid?
Old 02-01-2006, 06:50 AM
TECH Regular

I hate to break it to you but there isnt a 400 lb weight difference between the F-bodies and the vettes. F-bodies curb weight is around 3,450lbs, my car weighed in at 3395 with 1/4 tank of gas. Now i dont recall what the vettes came in at, but if i remember right my friends ZO6 weighed 3050 on a 1/4 tank of gas. So he would be around 3100, and i believe the regular vettes where around 3250, but i could be wrong on that number. Regardless definately not a 400 pound difference.

ACtually i believe it has been done before. I doubt the same mph, but some F-bodies have hit 12's bone stock.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:08 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ragnadude
A stock F-body LS1 won't beat a GTO..
depends on what you mean by stock..........lid/catback is all i needed and it was a 6-sp im an a4 and it was a roll race

so thats not exactly true

oh yeah my past races with STOCK vettes i have lost even a 99 auto convt so i gotta say yep they are faster
Old 02-01-2006, 09:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by marine7891
if you wana talk about bang for your buck how about my friends brian2006 1999 Z28 A4 with cutout lid ram air and K&N ($10K) took a acura NSX brand new, paper plates and all ($90K) and the LS1 prevailed

so money doesnt always matter, think about it this way F bodys have never won any awards for interior or any thing of that nature so just cuz it cost more doesnt mean all that money when into the engine bay so you have to look at the whole picture, definatly didnt buy my Z for the interior i bought it for the engine
I don't think ANYONE bought their F-Body for its snappy interior.

The NSX would crush your friends Z in a road course, by the way. That's what they're built for. They've never been hailed as a straight-shot racer.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:38 AM
Banned

Haven't met a "stock" Fbody that my Goat couln't eat yet.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

that's what i'm saying as well, i keep reading about the high 12's stock fbodies around here, yet, when i'm at the 1/4 track, the m6 ones are really having troubles hitting 13.6@103-104mph, so i don't know.., i haven't race a "stock" fbody that could keep up with my gto yet. and i know the "stock" ones around here have at least a lid and a catback
Old 02-01-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS
"

is it fair to compare an $80K viper to a $30K ls1 camaro? nope.

but then again, is it fair to compare a $30K ls1 car to a $20K srt4? nope.

dollar for dollar, there are a lot of cars, dozens of types, that will outperform an ls1 f-body or even an ls2 vette....but that factors in modifications, dollar for dollar.

no flaming here, but to honest to ourselves, you can spend a hell of a lot less on a hell of a lot of other cars and get a hell of a lot more performance (ie: ET's) than same $ spent on an ls1 f-body. you might have to modify the other car, but by spending a lot less money you get a lot more car. it's all in what you want, doesnt make one or the other better.

you live and die by the same rules i say.

that being said, the ls1 f-bodies are one the the quickest stock cars for their time.
I really don't think you make a point at all. The last F-body they made was in 2002. It is not 2006 and I have no idea where your getting 30k from. The Srt-4 wasn't even made in 2002. You can pick up LS1's for 10,000 or cheaper. Srt-4's go for about 22,000. That's a 12,000 dollar difference! Actually, you right. It's not fair to compare an LS1 to an Srt-4, because the Srt-4's are so much more expensive.

Even LT1's are hard to beat. An Srt-4 is a drivers race stock for stock against one and you can pick LT1's up for about 5,000.

Quick Reply: Cocky F-body guys.