Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Cocky F-body guys.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I went 13.1 @ 107.79 ina 2000 WS6 6 speed with Stock Z06 wheels and tires. Cars mods are LID/K&N and MAC springs in the florida heat, back to back, to back.

Cars best pass on drag radials, 13.0
Old 02-01-2006, 11:01 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteKnightZ28
I read the street racing fourm all the time, and I've noticed that us F-body guy kinda come off cocky sometimes (not ricer cocky... just really confident). And then I started thinking about it, and I realized that there isn't much out there that can beat an F-body. (stock cars only, any car can be fast with enough money)

So lets think about it, cars we can beat:

Mustangs
New GTOs
350Zs
3000GTs
SRT4s
300C/New Chargers
Corvetts (in a strait line theyre about equal)
Rice (civics, acuras ect...)

And the only cars we really need to worry about are:

03/04 Cobras
STis/Evos (from a dig)
300C SRT8s (maybe)

Everything else is ether way out of our price range (think viper) or modified.

*This is only my opinion baised on what i have seen and read here, Im posting this to see what other people think, not start a flame war!*
I agree with it all except the Corvette part. Yes, a stock m6 F-body is faster than an auto w/2.73s C5 vette. But, a stock M6 vette is faster than a stock m6 f-body. The Difference becomes more apparent at high speeds. Off the line the F-body is faster due to a solid rear axle but after that the C5 will pull on a F-body. Also, there are a hell of alot more C5s in the 12s stock than F-bodys stock.

Last edited by Cgillies86; 02-01-2006 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
"....about 110mph is where a stock vette will pull on an f-body"

What the ****?
FRCs are significantly lighter then the other C5s so you have a larger power/weight AND aerodynamic advantage over the F-bodies. FRC results usually seem better then coupe or vert in the real world so I can totally see how you get past a stock F-body by 60 mph in your races.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Draco
FRCs are significantly lighter then the other C5s so you have a larger power/weight AND aerodynamic advantage over the F-bodies. FRC results usually seem better then coupe or vert in the real world so I can totally see how you get past a stock F-body by 60 mph in your races.

80lbs lighter. You have a point.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MagikMan
Yeah, it's kinda frustrating... I put the h/c in my car, and I haven't had but one decent race.... and anything I kill, I feel like a retard for posting it, because it's so much slower.... kinda sux
i am with ya on that one. I do not have heads yet, but with the way the F14 lopes most people who try to race me just want to see the car run. It is funny though to mess with Mustangs, they never get the clue.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sigforty
i am with ya on that one. I do not have heads yet, but with the way the F14 lopes most people who try to race me just want to see the car run. It is funny though to mess with Mustangs, they never get the clue.

lol. People never realize a vette can sound like this. People are like WTF? Old time hodrodders love it. Chicks dig it. Mustangs fear it.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive beaten an 06 GTO with my stock SS. it wasnt THAT close either... but it was an auto.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PewterWSSicc
Mach 1's, with everything equal they have no chance against an F-body on the dragstrip or on the highway. anyhow.

Old 02-01-2006, 01:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS
".....Good luck finding a stock Supra to race ......."

true, and best of luck finding a stock ls1 f-body to race!!! i know i've never seen one, ever, not since my 1st ws6 car in june of 1998. how many ls1 f-bodies in 2006 remain truely 100% bone stock? 1-3% of them? 0%?

"...The dollar vs dollar comparison was made earlier and i would say that you can put the SRT4 in the same dollar category as far as im concerned, because i look at it as not the dollar amount, but what is affordable for the everyday person...."

i do understand this point, but, it doesnt make a lot of sense, the srt4 is 33% cheaper. than the LS1 f-body, doesnt seem like apples to apples to me. that extra 10 grand you save with the srt4 would for sure transform the srt4 into a better overall performer, and, be a better daily driver. but both are great cars dont get me wrong.

......and i do see a lot of cockiness as predicted, nothin wrong with that.
stock is used for a reference. i went 13.5 at 105 stock.

u want to talk about dollar for dollar? ha what does a new SRT4 neon go for? 21 grand sounds like an average price. used maybe 15 to 17 grand. i payed a wooping 11 grand for mine 2 years ago, put about 2 grand into it and wow look im running 11.6s at 114 at LVD on a warm humid day in October, full fricken weight. go down to like NJ on a cool sunny day and i bet ya im close to a 11.1 to 11.3. we all know NJ tracks are good for .4 tenths come that time of the year....
im just busting ur ***** just showing the bang for the buck isnt a friggen skittles. seeing as the f-bodies ceased production a year before the SRT4 even came out, id say they are still hanging tough for a vehicle that has been dead for 4 years now
ive got respect for anyone that knows how to build a fast car regardless of what it might be. their attitude on the other hang will justify if i like them or not.
ur a cool guy to hang out with marc and i hope to run into ya again when i get back from overseas come summer of 07

Last edited by Humvee z28; 02-01-2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PewterWSSicc
I hate to break it to you but there isnt a 400 lb weight difference between the F-bodies and the vettes. F-bodies curb weight is around 3,450lbs, my car weighed in at 3395 with 1/4 tank of gas. Now i dont recall what the vettes came in at, but if i remember right my friends ZO6 weighed 3050 on a 1/4 tank of gas. So he would be around 3100, and i believe the regular vettes where around 3250, but i could be wrong on that number. Regardless definately not a 400 pound difference.

ACtually i believe it has been done before. I doubt the same mph, but some F-bodies have hit 12's bone stock.
I have to completely disagree with you.

I was just at a dyno day this past Saturday. They had scales there and weighed every car before it was dynoed. My C5 coupe weighed 3163. My car has all options, it even has the original wheels and tires. It has no weight reduction whatsoever. I saw 5-6 F bodies on the scales. They were all in the 3600-3700 range.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MGorman
I have to completely disagree with you.

I was just at a dyno day this past Saturday. They had scales there and weighed every car before it was dynoed. My C5 coupe weighed 3163. My car has all options, it even has the original wheels and tires. It has no weight reduction whatsoever. I saw 5-6 F bodies on the scales. They were all in the 3600-3700 range.

Coupe meaning Targa coupe?....Or fixed roof coupe?

Thanks for the clarification on the weight, i've never seen an f-body that wasn't in race trim that weighed less then 3600lbs
Old 02-01-2006, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Coupe meaning Targa coupe?....Or fixed roof coupe?

Thanks for the clarification on the weight, i've never seen an f-body that wasn't in race trim that weighed less then 3600lbs
Targa coupe. It has HUD, dual zone auto climate control, telescopic steering wheel, dual power seats, 12 disc CD changer, etc,etc. It’s definitely not the lightest of the C5’s. I was surprised that my car was that light. The F body boys were definitely envious of the weight.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NYTIGER
Haven't met a "stock" Fbody that my Goat couln't eat yet.
and i havent met a gto my trans am couldnt drag down the friggin street
Old 02-01-2006, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

"....You can pick up LS1's for 10,000 or cheaper. Srt-4's go for about 22,000. That's a 12,000 dollar difference! Actually, you right. It's not fair to compare an LS1 to an Srt-4, because the Srt-4's are so much more expensive....."

sorry i was refering only to new car MSRP's on ls1's to new car MSRP's on srt4's, not used car prices.....so, you want to open that to discussion? okay. but not a good idea for the ls1 f-bodies... i can purchase a $1,000 car and put $3,000 of parts in it an go high 11's, street legal. got a $4,000 ls1 f-body (car plus mods) in the 11's? maybe theres one, i dont know.

all i was saying is that ANY car can be made fast with enuf money, which was my initial point i was bringing up. dollar for dollar, in 2006, the used, modified 1998-2002 ls1 f-bodies are not doing that great against a lot of other used, modified cars at the dragstrip. why? relatively speaking, the ls1 f-bodies are right now a little more expensive to buy and expensive to get fast, again, relative other choices out there.

maybe in 10 years when 1998 ls1 camaros in good condition sell for a grand and aftermarket part pricing for ls1's goes lower the cars will compare better, but not right now. again speaking only in general, theres always a few exceptions to any situation.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

"....You can pick up LS1's for 10,000 or cheaper. Srt-4's go for about 22,000. That's a 12,000 dollar difference! Actually, you right. It's not fair to compare an LS1 to an Srt-4, because the Srt-4's are so much more expensive....."

sorry i was refering only to new car MSRP's on ls1's to new car MSRP's on srt4's, not used car prices.....so, you want to open that to discussion? okay. but not a good idea for the ls1 f-bodies... i can purchase a $1,000 car and put $3,000 of parts in it an go high 11's, street legal. got a $4,000 ls1 f-body (car plus mods) in the 11's? maybe theres one, i dont know.

all i was saying is that ANY car can be made fast with enuf money, which was my initial point i was bringing up. dollar for dollar, in 2006, the used, modified 1998-2002 ls1 f-bodies are not doing that great against a lot of other used, modified cars at the dragstrip. why? relatively speaking, the ls1 f-bodies are right now a little more expensive to buy and expensive to get fast, again, relative other choices out there.

maybe in 10 years when 1998 ls1 camaros in good condition sell for a grand and aftermarket part pricing for ls1's goes lower the cars will compare better, but not right now. again speaking only in general, theres always a few exceptions to any situation.

bringing up money in any performance discussion is 100% retarded, please drop this topic. It's almost as pointless as the HP/L argument.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LSONE
bringing up money in any performance discussion is 100% retarded, please drop this topic. It's almost as pointless as the HP/L argument.

Which the new northstar V powerplant would win. 267ci 469 hp.

lol. Sorry.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:43 PM
11 Second Club

sooooo what are ur bragging rights? yes ls1 f-bodies had their quokes, as does any car, regardless of their price. hell lets compare for hahas. 35k dollar evo badass looking exterior and a powertrain to match, but the interior reeks of a 20k dollar lancer. 22k dollar srt4, that has a great powertrain with a cheap *** interior, and still looks like a 14k dollar neon. or lets go with ur experience. 32k dollar ws6 with squeeks and rattles and shitty paint, but damn does it haul. dude its all figureative. u have an insane amount of money. u know it, i know it dont be bashful. if u have a problem with squals, rattles, or shitty paint buy that 75k mercedes and shut up.... everything is figureative and different brands have their pluses and negatives. buy what u like.... just remember that jeep u bought has its issues too, and around 50k miles if ur lucky will start leaking from every drivetrain part and start to break.... dude nothing is perfect nor will it be. buy what u like and enjoy it, but dont go saying **** about something because it was too much of an issue for u to deal with it..... anytime u want to line them up, my squaly rattly shitty paintjob no resale ls1 z28 vs ur omni or one of ur buddies let me know (like i said i will be overseas on a deployment til the summer of 07) on the street or the strip, and i advise the street, because i dont think ull ever cut a 1.5x 60' time, let me know. i will go for it for fun or for a few bucks. like i said its all in fun, and like u said anything can be fast with enough money
Old 02-01-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Same team, guys.....sheesh.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was driving my car one day when I first got it, I pull into this parking lot and there is this guy mid 50's given me the eye with a big fat smile. I thinkin he is or something. I get out of the car and he says to me "Those things out dyno Vettes"

I asked him if he was sure, he proceded to tell me that he had M6 C5 at his shop 2002, and a 2002 WS6 M6 like mine. After he dynoed both he told me that the WS6 beat the Vette by 10 hp. "why" I asked ? He said "Transmission:

Also one other factor I didn't see anyone mention "FACTORY FREEK" option
I think its a rare option but im sure my car has it.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

"...bringing up money in any performance discussion is 100% retarded...."

you just won my personal vote for "Most Ridiculous Observation"....money does not buy performance? wow.

"...anytime u want to line them up, my squaly rattly shitty paintjob no resale ls1 z28 vs ur omni or one of ur buddies let me know ..."

now that's a great non-cocky attitude! sure. you better be low 10's. bring the pink.
:-)

"...32k dollar ws6 with squeeks and rattles and shitty paint, but damn does it haul. ..."

yes! i loved my 2000 ws6 the best....awesome car....but it was no 12 second car even after $2,000 in mods...but i got that now but for less than 1/3 the cost....along w/ better braking, handling, fuel economy, driveability, comfort, fit/finish quality, re-sale value...blah blah......but that black M6 car for sure is my 2nd favorite....cannot out-do that LS1 sound. it's all good.

Quick Reply: Cocky F-body guys.