Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Cocky F-body guys.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
But a lid a cut out and some DR's should put ALL the M6's into the 12's on a good day and probably quite a few of the auto's too.
How do you know that? Just what you've read I'm sure. You even
running 12's yet? Ever run a 12? Ever make a single pass?
Old 02-02-2006, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by unit213
How do you know that? Just what you've read I'm sure. You even
running 12's yet? Ever run a 12? Ever make a single pass?
No mate guess I'm a friggin retard who doesn't even know what a steering wheel is either. Shame really cos I like driving....
Old 02-02-2006, 10:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you at high altitude? Also the driver is quite important. Plus anyone can spend 2k on mods - but that doesn't mean it's 2k well spent.

Are you seriously saying you know someone who has spent $20,000 in mods and still only turns in high 12's. Either they suck or are driving in reverse.

Any well driven M6 Fbody (NOT at high altitude) should turn in low 13's pretty easy. If you're only pulling 2.4+ 60' times then it will be partly the cause. Track prep is often pretty poor and street tyres are then all but useless.

Again I have no idea what altitude you are at.

But a lid a cut out and some DR's should put ALL the M6's into the 12's on a good day and probably quite a few of the auto's too.
the altitude around where he is racing is around 500 to 600 ft above sea level. at the same track with just boltons/converter/gears i ran 12.8 at 105. then with mac midlengths i ran 12.4 at 109. not bad for under 1 grand invested. then for another 500 bucks i was running mid 11s
Old 02-02-2006, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

"...bringing up money in any performance discussion is 100% retarded...."

you just won my personal vote for "Most Ridiculous Observation"....money does not buy performance? wow.
Thats exactly my point, obviously anyone with the right amount of money can go as fast as they want- the amount of possible speculation is endless. It is an absolutely retarded argument. "well i could go x.xx at xxx.xx with $xxxxx so there!" how about you stop spouting random bullshit and do it? I said it before and i'll say it again arguing about the price of a car verses performance is absofuckinglutely retarded, it is a waste of time and bandwidth.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Humvee z28
the altitude around where he is racing is around 500 to 600 ft above sea level. at the same track with just boltons/converter/gears i ran 12.8 at 105. then with mac midlengths i ran 12.4 at 109. not bad for under 1 grand invested. then for another 500 bucks i was running mid 11s
So jealous of you sea level guys..... You have an auto too...
Old 02-02-2006, 10:58 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by enginjoe
So jealous of you sea level guys..... You have an auto too...
people around here bitch about the elevation of Lebannon Valley Dragway because it is a much higher elevation then the other northeast dragstrips. there are only 2 tracks in the northeast LVD which is close to albany, and new england dragway which is in epping, nh. NED is much close to sea level seeing it is on the coast of NH. there is a dragstrip in PA, im just not sure where. around he people who want their braging rights timeslip go down to NJ on a nice cool late november/early december or early april.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

No mate guess I'm a friggin retard who doesn't even know what a steering wheel is either. Shame really cos I like driving....
I see you had to avoid my questions. I think it's obvious what the answers
are...yet you're up on your high horse telling everyone else what "should"
happen. You don't have a clue "mate."

Being cocky is one thing. Being full of **** is another.

Carry on...
Old 02-02-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Humvee z28
people around here bitch about the elevation of Lebannon Valley Dragway because it is a much higher elevation then the other northeast dragstrips. there are only 2 tracks in the northeast LVD which is close to albany, and new england dragway which is in epping, nh. NED is much close to sea level seeing it is on the coast of NH. there is a dragstrip in PA, im just not sure where. around he people who want their braging rights timeslip go down to NJ on a nice cool late november/early december or early april.
Yeah, people around here claim that when they go to Phoenix (1400ft vs. 3075 in Tucson) they knock up to .5 seconds off their time (some of that could be track prep too). I haven't done it, but some people that I would believe have. I'm just going FI instead. I was convinced that it works great after getting my beater car, adding a couple mods and taking it to the track. Can't wait to get the tuning finished.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by unit213
I see you had to avoid my questions. I think it's obvious what the answers
are...yet you're up on your high horse telling everyone else what "should"
happen. You don't have a clue "mate."

Being cocky is one thing. Being full of **** is another.

Carry on...
ok then.

If I'm wrong I'll say hay no worries I got it wrong. (and have done so on many occasions).

So please correct what I said and point out how I was wrong and totally mis-guided. And of course what would be the correct answer and I'll happily admit I'm wrong and welcome any help or clarification to what is right.

This is no wind up or BS I'm being serious. So help me out....
Old 02-02-2006, 06:18 PM
Launching!

eh?

It's already been exceeded.

For the Evo VIII (that's 8) there was the FQ330 (330bhp), FQ340 (340bhp) and the FQ400 (400bhp) all STOCK. Admittidly this was in the UK. But I think our emissions standards are similar or stricter than that of the US.

The Evo IX (that's 9) is currently available as the FQ340 with 340bhp. So ok not 350bhp, but pretty darn close.

Basically, a new Evo has about the same power/torque as a STOCK Fbody and weighs similar or slightly less with more traction.
Thats a grey import into the UK AFAIK. In limited numbers. Its not what we will get in the US. The next Gen Evo will likely have a shade over 300BHP IMHO. At best we will get an FQ-like car, which will not make 350BHP. Also, those cars are pretty hardcore, and despite thousands of people like me and a large number of now well-off DSMers, Mitsu is unconvinced of the US apetite for high performance turbo 4s in the 30K price range and up.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS
"...You can take a f-body to 11s with a lot less money and work then any other car platform. We simply outperform most cars overall...."

the cocky meter is pinned! nice!

and as for myself spending 2 grand on my WS6 car (exhaust, MAF sensor, lid, BG ram air kit, etc) and it still wasnt a 12 sec car, all i can say is i am thinking of (4) LS1 f-bodies, i know the owners of each, and i have seen each race many times.....all are modified, all have spent a lot more than 2 grand in performance mods (one spent 10 times 2 grand!!), results: (2) of the (4) run high 12's, and other (2) are still in the 13's. none are low 12 sec cars let alone 11 sec cars. not saying these are representative of all ls1 f-bodies, but, its also true that not all ls1's get into the 12's for $150 as someone stated earlier.

the fun is in the trying.
simple its called the driver mod, and the common sense mod geeeezzz a MAF is worthless and a stock screened MAF is easily good to 500 rwhp. my car doesnt necessarily feel like a mid 11 second car, but damn it did it like i said everything is figurative. people get the shaft from performance shops dying to take their money. especially when the car is new to the market and the aftermarket isnt fully there. timeslips dont lie. witnesses help also
Old 02-03-2006, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS
"...

yes! i loved my 2000 ws6 the best....awesome car....but it was no 12 second car even after $2,000 in mods...but i got that now but for less than 1/3 the cost....along w/ better braking, handling, fuel economy, driveability, comfort, fit/finish quality, re-sale value...blah blah......but that black M6 car for sure is my 2nd favorite....cannot out-do that LS1 sound. it's all good.
you mean to tell me you put $2000 dollards into a 2000 WS6 trans am and couldnt crack 12's????????..........i think ignorance is your main problem, theres about 1,000 guys here running that or faster with only a cam and a few bolt ons less than $2000 spent,with just a cam and a good tune u can easily hit 12's unless you bought a gold plated camshaft autographed by Howard Stern or seomthing, its not gonna cost u more than 2g's and theres a **** load of guys here in nor cal that are running elevens just with a cam and a few bolt on's, if u dont believe me go to the track............and the only 4th gen camaros that cost around 30,000 or more are anniversary SS with low miles but ive found cheaper!!!!!, and u wanna talk about resale value?????????? ur comparing an american classic(67-79 classic collector camaros) with a half german half american plastic car thats just cashing in on the shopping cart wing, 4-banger trend, in 10 years you'de be lucky to get $1,000 for your car
Old 02-03-2006, 03:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sparetire
Thats a grey import into the UK AFAIK. In limited numbers. Its not what we will get in the US. The next Gen Evo will likely have a shade over 300BHP IMHO. At best we will get an FQ-like car, which will not make 350BHP. Also, those cars are pretty hardcore, and despite thousands of people like me and a large number of now well-off DSMers, Mitsu is unconvinced of the US apetite for high performance turbo 4s in the 30K price range and up.
No they're not grey imports they are normal production models. Well OK the FQ400 was I think limited, but it still wasn't a grey import as Ralliart did the work on them. Ralliart run Mitshubishi's WRC cars and are based less than 30 miles away from where I live.

But I guess you maybe right about the US market.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:22 AM
Staging Lane

"....you mean to tell me you put $2000 dollards into a 2000 WS6 trans am and couldnt crack 12's????????.........."

yes, and as i said before, me and lots of other LS1 jocks spent a lot of $$$ on performance mods for their f-bodies and still were in the 13's, i am not alone. i went to two GMHTP Mag shootouts at E-Town and there were zero stock ls1 f-bodies in the 12's, none. there were lots of 12, 11, and 10 sec ls1 cars but all had extensive work and parts on those cars, nothing at all wrong with that i am only saying this:

are there cocky ls1 f-bodies owners? this thread prooves it.
and there's nothing wrong with being cocky. i am just as guilty (sometimes).

also, back in 1999 when GMHTP Mag tested that 1999 LS1 Z28, if memory serves me (i lost the magazine issue) the car did not actually go 12's, it went 13-something and then they adjusted the ET to standard temp and pressure (density altitude), isnt that right?
Old 02-03-2006, 04:49 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah but you also said you had a friend who spent 10 times $2000 that's $20,000 and you claim they are only a high 12 second car. What on Earth did they spend the money on???

Check this article out:
Old 02-03-2006, 06:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah but you also said you had a friend who spent 10 times $2000 that's $20,000 and you claim they are only a high 12 second car. What on Earth did they spend the money on???

Check this article out:

I think the word that was left out, was CONSISTENT 12 second car. It's different if you run one 12 second pass....and never duplicate it again. Or maybe it's once and a while...as oppossed to back to back to back 12 et's.

There is a difference.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

That I can see, but surly that would be due to driver and track prep more than the car setup. But I dunno??
Old 02-03-2006, 08:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sparetire
And not one mention of the Mach 1. Stock on stock is a drivers race. And its cheaper than a Cobra.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

I dont own an LS1, yet. But when you can BITCH slap 95% of whats out there on the road, i think being cocky even once or twice is a given, but in that sense of "listen, you REALLY dont want to race me" type of cockyness not the "i own the road and everything on it" cocky.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CrabhartLS1
I'd be wary of those GTO's though. a stock F-body cannot beat an 05 GTO. an 04 it might edge out but the weight difference isn't as drastic as you might think.
Stock F-body's can and do beat 05 GTO's, I've seen a 98 SS that trapped 106 beat an A4 05 GTO from a roll twice.

Quick Reply: Cocky F-body guys.