Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Cocky F-body guys.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 10:57 AM
AOC
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Plus the IRS of the GTO 'can' be more difficult to lunch and is certainly more prone to wheel hop.
I don't know, I do remember my 2000 Camaro SS having lot more wheel hop problems than my C5 Z06 which shares same IRS with GTOs. But once I added LCA on SS, the wheel hop issue was taken care of.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes, and as i said before, me and lots of other LS1 jocks spent a lot of $$$ on performance mods for their f-bodies and still were in the 13's, i am not alone.
what mods? What trap speed?
Old 02-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Yeah but you also said you had a friend who spent 10 times $2000 that's $20,000 and you claim they are only a high 12 second car. What on Earth did they spend the money on???

Check this article out:
I wouldn't put all my money on that article. GMHTP is a reputable mag but that car had 10,000 miles on it as a GM press car and probably had been freshened before the flogging.

We all know these motors do gain some as miles go on.

Most stock F-Bodies at E-Town this passed summer I've seen only running 13.5 @ 104. Slight mods do and will wakes thse monsters up. The best mods being drag radials and tune.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NYTIGER
I wouldn't put all my money on that article. GMHTP is a reputable mag but that car had 10,000 miles on it as a GM press car and probably had been freshened before the flogging.

We all know these motors do gain some as miles go on.

Most stock F-Bodies at E-Town this passed summer I've seen only running 13.5 @ 104. Slight mods do and will wakes thse monsters up. The best mods being drag radials and tune.
That wasnt out of a GMHTP article, its a Ford mag.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:49 PM
Banned

GMHTP did a similar article and they also put that piece in there too. I belive they are part of the same publishing group.

Either way sucks for Ford!

Any car with an LSx motor is badass anyway you look at it!
Old 02-03-2006, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

"...But when you can BITCH slap 95% of whats out there on the road, i think being cocky even once or twice is a given,..."

cars dont get bitch slapped, people do.

"...Most stock F-Bodies at E-Town this passed summer I've seen only running 13.5 @ 104....."

agreed. still fantastic performance in my opinion.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS
"...Everything else is ether way out of our price range (think viper) or modified..."

so you are acknowledging price matters? i agree. money buys speed. the fastest bone stock cars are typically the most expensive. always been that way, in general. makes sense to me.

but when you say, "...and I realized that there isn't much out there that can beat an F-body..." you are quickly forgeting the relationship between money spent and the results that you seem to acknowledge in your other statement about "price class".

is it fair to compare an $80K viper to a $30K ls1 camaro? nope.

but then again, is it fair to compare a $30K ls1 car to a $20K srt4? nope.

dollar for dollar, there are a lot of cars, dozens of types, that will outperform an ls1 f-body or even an ls2 vette....but that factors in modifications, dollar for dollar.

no flaming here, but to honest to ourselves, you can spend a hell of a lot less on a hell of a lot of other cars and get a hell of a lot more performance (ie: ET's) than same $ spent on an ls1 f-body. you might have to modify the other car, but by spending a lot less money you get a lot more car. it's all in what you want, doesnt make one or the other better.

you live and die by the same rules i say.

that being said, the ls1 f-bodies are one the the quickest stock cars for their time.

I hate when I post something that makes perfect sense and isn't being noticed.

Great post.

Also I'd like to add I can't understand why people compare out of production cars to current production cars. It's like saying if I owned a Shelby cobra I should compare it to the current day cars.

Sorry that the F-Body is a dead body. GM missed the boat on making a great affordable performance car, but until one is made again you really shouldn't compare cars of current to out of production cars.

Old 02-03-2006, 09:26 PM
Launching!

".....Good luck finding a stock Supra to race ......."

true, and best of luck finding a stock ls1 f-body to race!!! i know i've never seen one, ever, not since my 1st ws6 car in june of 1998. how many ls1 f-bodies in 2006 remain truely 100% bone stock? 1-3% of them? 0%?

"...The dollar vs dollar comparison was made earlier and i would say that you can put the SRT4 in the same dollar category as far as im concerned, because i look at it as not the dollar amount, but what is affordable for the everyday person...."

i do understand this point, but, it doesnt make a lot of sense, the srt4 is 33% cheaper. than the LS1 f-body, doesnt seem like apples to apples to me. that extra 10 grand you save with the srt4 would for sure transform the srt4 into a better overall performer, and, be a better daily driver. but both are great cars dont get me wrong.

......and i do see a lot of cockiness as predicted, nothin wrong with that.
Well, in my experience 9 out of 10 F-Bods are stock. It's just that so many people install crappy as Flowmaster mufflers, so the car can sound "badass". And, in my book, that's not a real performance mod.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by draven94
I don't think ANYONE bought their F-Body for its snappy interior.

The NSX would crush your friends Z in a road course, by the way. That's what they're built for. They've never been hailed as a straight-shot racer.

As far as I'm concern, NSX have never been hailed in pretty much anything except exaggerated price tag.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rally2247
As far as I'm concern, NSX have never been hailed in pretty much anything except exaggerated price tag.
It's an epitome of ALL SHOW NO GO, except around corners , man what a show .....I love the lines . It looks 23897234586902736 times better than most cars . Too bad it's so slow
Old 02-04-2006, 03:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

"....you mean to tell me you put $2000 dollards into a 2000 WS6 trans am and couldnt crack 12's????????.........."

yes, and as i said before, me and lots of other LS1 jocks spent a lot of $$$ on performance mods for their f-bodies and still were in the 13's, i am not alone. i went to two GMHTP Mag shootouts at E-Town and there were zero stock ls1 f-bodies in the 12's, none. there were lots of 12, 11, and 10 sec ls1 cars but all had extensive work and parts on those cars, nothing at all wrong with that i am only saying this:

are there cocky ls1 f-bodies owners? this thread prooves it.
and there's nothing wrong with being cocky. i am just as guilty (sometimes).

also, back in 1999 when GMHTP Mag tested that 1999 LS1 Z28, if memory serves me (i lost the magazine issue) the car did not actually go 12's, it went 13-something and then they adjusted the ET to standard temp and pressure (density altitude), isnt that right?
dude all you need is full exhaust and a cam..........my friend is running full exhaust ,gears and a Z06 cam on stock heads and he ran an 12.1 with his 99 TA, and he drives his car everyday to work with no problems.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:44 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know someone personally who went 12.88 with lid/catback (not sure, but maybe a shifter as well). 01/02 Z28 M6 car.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by supratool
Good luck finding a stock Supra to race
thats like finding a stock cobra...lol.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Socalmach

Thanks sparetire. You beat me to it.
I put buss lengths on a modded one, my old stock formula that is
Old 02-04-2006, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by clebmotors
I put buss lengths on a modded one, my old stock formula that is
BUS-LENGTHS on a modded Mach 1 with a stock stock Formula?
Old 02-04-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

whats the difference between a GT and a Mach 1 performance wise???? just the shaker hood lol?.........dont know 2 much about mustangs can some one inform me.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Angus66
BUS-LENGTHS on a modded Mach 1 with a stock stock Formula?
I've seen a modded one go 14.4 @ 97 at the track. I also have the video, if you'd care to see it.

With a horrible driver like, a mid 13 would pull a buslength or two.

A mach 1 is a N/A 4v motor, not a N/A 2v like the GT, and considerably quicker. Still a 5 speed tremec 3650 tranny, and has the shaker hood.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GMmexican
whats the difference between a GT and a Mach 1 performance wise???? just the shaker hood lol?.........dont know 2 much about mustangs can some one inform me.
Quite a bit actually. its a four valve, not two. Forged Steel crank, I think the HP is more as well. With gears they are a pretty good match for a stock/slightly modded F-body.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:40 PM
Teching In

I raced plenty of LS equipped cars and most of them been pretty cool, except one time when I raced 98+ SS from a dig. I got a jump and I had to let off due to red light at next street , anyway by that time I had around 3-4 car lengts on him . When we stopped this mullet was telling me that my car's a POS Jap car and he 's gonna smoke my *** and proceded to rev his car ( sounded bad *** ) He had his girl with him, so I guess he was trying to prove something. Anyway I got a jump again put more distance than last time and turned off on next street. Cocky LS owner who didn't know anything about his competition ,probally thought my car was a fwd Celica ,4 banger ,or maybe he thought Supra's nortoriously slow from a dig . My car has stock sequential turbo's , not a big single Turbo with its associated big lag, and I also have AEM standalone with 2 step ,so launching is easy and consistant. If I see him again I wouldn't waste my time or gas with that ignorant **** .
Old 02-04-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GMmexican
Apart from the styling differences here's some I know of:

GT has a cast iron block SOHC 2v per cylinder 4.6 with 260bhp SAE Net where as the Mach 1 has an alloy block DOHC 32v 4.6 with 305bhp SAE Net rated HP.

Essentially the Mach 1 is a much faster car with a world class engine under the bonnet (hood). In stock trim they are a good match up against a stock Fbody and only a fool would undrestimate one, plus they look darn good also.

It's certainly a car that has a place in my fantasy garage.

Quick Reply: Cocky F-body guys.