Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Just raced a fast EVO8

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by santiago
its time for some headers nitrous and a cam and you will **** all over that evo next time.
Stall H/C and a 225 shot leave them wondering what happened at the line
Good kill!
Old 03-05-2006, 01:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how strong are the evo trannies and center diffs? i think those cars are cool and look like they are fun to drive.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
Yeah I imagine he only had the basic bolt ons. Ive ran a few SS's, WS6's etc and they have a hard time with my Evo. Good run though, but watch out for some of them, a lot of Evo owners are switching to GT35R turbos making 500+whp on relatively low boost.
Over 500WHP on a 2.0 4-cylinder?? I bet those cars are real driveable on the street

Theres probably enough turbo lag to make the car a complete dog on anything but a drag strip.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:52 PM
10 Second Club

yea that's the tradeoff with running a big turbo on a small displacement engine.

i had a import car, highly modded and i could stay with the domestics as long as I was within my powerband which was between 6500 and 9000 rpm. below that the car was a dawg. hated it after a while.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Over 500WHP on a 2.0 4-cylinder?? I bet those cars are real driveable on the street

Theres probably enough turbo lag to make the car a complete dog on anything but a drag strip.

LOL. I choose to disagree with that statement.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:44 PM
10 Second Club

being able to drive it on the street and driveability are 2 different things. Full spool at 5 grand isn't my definition of good driveability, i think that's what he means.

my friends talon made 401 to the wheels but he needed 26 psi to do it and his spool was lagging but when it hit it was nice.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:29 PM
Launching!

My definition of streetable is able to drive it to work without massive problems. No difficulty turning, useable signals, easy throttle modulation, etc.

I see no reason a 500WHP Evo would have trouble with any of that. Now a 500WHP NA small displacement motor, yeah. That thing would be very very high strung. But a 500WHP Evo would likely be really easy to drive normally. It would be a lot like my DSM, just with a better interior LOL.

Now in terms of street racing, not as easy as an F-Body neccesarily. Then again, an F-Body is not exactly easy to launch with 500 at the wheels. Personally, if you want to get into the power, downshift. if its from a dig, you really dont have much of a problem in a 500WHP Evo Except blowing things up of course LOL. I would expect a GT35R to see good power above 5000 to whenever. Thats not exactly low end, but its not really all that bad either. In an LS1 how low do you really get post-launch? Not much more than 3500 I would think. If that.

From a low speed punch though, that is a bit of a disadvantage for sure.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
being able to drive it on the street and driveability are 2 different things. Full spool at 5 grand isn't my definition of good driveability, i think that's what he means.

my friends talon made 401 to the wheels but he needed 26 psi to do it and his spool was lagging but when it hit it was nice.

...and someone else can say an LS1 car with a big cam and a big shot of N2O with 500+ to the wheels on street tires is not drivable. You see? It's all relative.

A 500whp 4 banger is drivable on the street with no issues. Unless your buddy was trying to hit full boost in 5th gear on the street, I call your definition of "undrivable" BS. There's a free upgrade/fix for turbo lag, it's called downshifting.

Drivability to me means, I can wake up in the morning, go to the garage, start my car and it firing up at the first key, pulling it out of the driveway, driving it to the grocery store with no issues, drive back home while smoking a car on the way and parking it back in the garage. Of course, doing all that without propping the hood or waiting 30 minutes for it to "warm up" and on pump gas. That is drivability, to ME.

F-body guys seem to forget that most 4 bangers making good power rev much higher. 5K may be high to the regular LS1 car owner but not to the 500whp+ 4 banger that has a 9k redline.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:15 PM
10 Second Club

500 to the wheels is almost commonplace and actually kinda low for ls1's nowadays especially if you're sprayin. i don't think i've ever heard someone say a 500 hp ls1 isn't driveable, we wish they would have came from the factory like that.. If you're talkking 1200 + hp that would be another story.

a better comparison for your argument would be for my stock cubed motor to run a 101mm turbo. My car wouldn't wake up till late in the power band and be very lazy until that big monster turbo woke up. driving that on the street is a waste. See what i'm talkin bout? Everyday you're not going to spinning to 9 grand while driving to work and doing regular driving and to have to keep downshifting all the time is a big pain in the ***. its nice to just be able to tap the gas to pass someone then to have to drop 2 gears to get the motor to run into its sweet spot.

you can call bs all you want, i've owned both types of cars and know what i'm talking about..

Here's what I call not streetable.. big solid lifter cam on 108 lsa with a 5000 stall 4.56 gears. since you're all about relativity you think that's really good driveability on the street? someone out there will say yes for arguments sake but come on be practical..

f bod guys aren't clueless about imports an engine is an engine and they all operate on the same principle.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Regular

Lol, I agree with most statements on here, it depends on your idea of streetable. Remeber its very easy unlike an NA car to turn down the boost and run say 350 whp or so and save a high boost setting for when you need it. The shop I get my work done at on my Evo runs a GT35R making 500+ whp at 21 psi on the factory ecu (no ems) Full boost on a GT35 could be anywhere form 42-4700 rpm depending on tuning, but remember we dont shift at 6K like some domestics, my Evo redline is 8K.

Anyways who knows by summer i may have a GT35 on my Evo so I'll have more imput then.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

My brother has a 98 regal GS, smaller pully, intake and dual exhaust. He ran a stock evo in town here. The evo didn't have a fricken clue what he had comming up on his *** till my brother laid it down and kicked his ***. They approached another 2 lane passing zone and the evo tried passing him, neither of them moved a inch. Funny thing is, it's a Buick
Old 03-06-2006, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JimsWS6
My brother has a 98 regal GS, smaller pully, intake and dual exhaust. He ran a stock evo in town here. The evo didn't have a fricken clue what he had comming up on his *** till my brother laid it down and kicked his ***. They approached another 2 lane passing zone and the evo tried passing him, neither of them moved a inch. Funny thing is, it's a Buick
Gotta love that, those S/C Buicks are quick cars

I'm assuming that he ran the Evo from a roll?? From a dig he probably would have got killed pretty bad, from a roll though a stock Evo isn't much of anything.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:29 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to say, if you want cheap power with the AWD go evo. It tends to be more expensive for the STi compared to the Evo. BUT if your gonna stay stock with minor bolt-ons, I say go STi. From what I've experenced, the Evo has MUCH more lag in comparison to the STi. There's definatly more grun and throttle response in the STi with it's bigger displacement. The STi is definatly more like the f-bod when it comes to tq.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MaSTi
I have to say, if you want cheap power with the AWD go evo. It tends to be more expensive for the STi compared to the Evo. BUT if your gonna stay stock with minor bolt-ons, I say go STi. From what I've experenced, the Evo has MUCH more lag in comparison to the STi. There's definatly more grun and throttle response in the STi with it's bigger displacement. The STi is definatly more like the f-bod when it comes to tq.
I guess it's because it has more cubes, hehe. I couldln't resist!
Old 03-06-2006, 12:54 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I'd guess that but have no clue.

*sarcasm off*
Old 03-06-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MaSTi
I agree about the STi tending to have less turbo lag than the Evo, being that its got a larger displacement engine and more torque.

However, saying that an STi is like an F-Body in terms of torque is just plain foolish. An LS1 makes more torque at idle than an STi makes in its entire powerband, its not even comparable. Comparing torque corves of 4 bangers to V8's is pointless, it makes the 4 banger look like a joke.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:25 PM
Launching!

^LOL. Bullshit. I dont know if you have looked at some STS LS1s, but turbos make torque.

More at Idle than in an STis entire curve? Bwahahahahaaaa. Take a look at a 400WHP STis powerband. It's no 'joke'. Boost and OHC do broaden out a powerband. The higher cube LS1 has the advantage for sure, but make a joke of a 4g63 or Ej25? Hardly.
The thing people dont get is that torque at idle is useless for racing. Do you launch at idle? I doubt it. And an AWD certanly wont. What matters is how much power you make for how long. And STis/Evos can make very nice progressive power bands with big numbers. The fact that they start making it at about 3K stock is beside the point. they dont ever use below that in a race anyway.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02

However, saying that an STi is like an F-Body in terms of torque is just plain foolish. An LS1 makes more torque at idle than an STi makes in its entire powerband, its not even comparable.

Old 03-06-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sparetire
^LOL. Bullshit. I dont know if you have looked at some STS LS1s, but turbos make torque.

More at Idle than in an STis entire curve? Bwahahahahaaaa. Take a look at a 400WHP STis powerband. It's no 'joke'. Boost and OHC do broaden out a powerband. The higher cube LS1 has the advantage for sure, but make a joke of a 4g63 or Ej25? Hardly.
The thing people dont get is that torque at idle is useless for racing. Do you launch at idle? I doubt it. And an AWD certanly wont. What matters is how much power you make for how long. And STis/Evos can make very nice progressive power bands with big numbers. The fact that they start making it at about 3K stock is beside the point. they dont ever use below that in a race anyway.
Go look at the torque curves before you call bullshit. I don't give a crap about "400WHP STi's", we're talking about stock vehicles here. I didn't make any reference to "torque at idle being useful for racing", my statement was in response to this comment:

'The STi is definatly more like the f-bod when it comes to tq.'
And of course its not even close, both vehicles have significantly different torque and power curves.

diambo4life - I'm glad you think thats so hilarious. Too bad for you its true. It figures you'd try and laugh it off, being that you drive a 4-cylinder Eclipse
Old 03-06-2006, 06:17 PM
Launching!

Go look yourself. Unless your peeling out M6 LS1s in stock form just by letting out the clutch with no gas, then the LS1 does not make more at idle than the stock STis entire band.

OMFG. I thought maybe there was an outside chace you were being sarcastic.

Quick Reply: Just raced a fast EVO8