Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Just raced a fast EVO8

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 10:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatmaker
70% of your mod list was clicks and whistles. Your just naming parts like Boost controller,BOx, intercooler, etc nothing that wold make a difference... who cares. WHy don't you post some believeable technical data. Not some out of the import mag bullshit.

I honestly can tell you I don't know why people with slow cars liek to go around bragging about mod lists. Hardly anybody that's worth racing or has a fast car actually goes around reavaling what thier mods are.
Considering I've never picked up an import mag, its unlikely that anything I've done to the car is related remotely to anything a honda kiddie would do.

If you'd like, I can go down the list and tell you why everything on that list is critical. I've left out the unimportant stuff already.

4g64 block - extra .4 liters displacement. More displacement = I can use a bigger turbo. At 7k rpms, a 4g64 setup is flowing as much air as a 4g63 is at 9k rpms. Now, how much air am I flowing at 9k with the 4g64? ALOT.
lightened 4g64 crank - lighter crank means I rev faster.
Eagle H-beam rods - Tougher rods means I can make more power with larger margin for error.
Wiseco 8.5:1 forged pistons - again, lighter pistons/tougher pistons - rev faster and less heat expansion due to silica content
3" IC Piping - allows the air to expand more post turbo and pre TB, cooler intake charge
Crower 414 cams - this should be obvious as to why bigger duration and lift is a good thing
Fidanza cam gears - allows me to adjust my cams directly
BJ Intake Manifold - SMIM allows for greater, more efficient airflow. I can rev this bitch to 9k rpms and the airflow just keeps going up. Drastically bumps my volumetric efficiency.
Crower Ti springs and retainers - allows my valvetrain to stay on target while revving higher.
1G head swap - the 1G head is alot freer flowing than the 2G head. This, when coupled with the SMIM increases the VE curve of my car.
65mm TB - bigger TB = more air. This is a good thing.
Bigass FMIC - Bigger FMIC allows my intake charge to be cooler. This in turn allows me to run more timing (where the power is made) and more boost.
SC63 T4 turbo - Big. Phucking. Turbo. T4 flange with 3" discharge outlet. Good for around 700HP on my car, I'm happy with 600HP.
Custom T4 Manifold - Ramhorn style manifold allows the air from 2 cylinders to hit the turbo at the same time, synchronizing the pulses of airflow from the engine.
3" exhaust turbo to tip - less backpressure on a turbo car is a GOOD thing.
DSMlink V2 - allows my almost unlimited control over everything my car's computer can do. Timing, fuel, DTCs and airflow map control. Also, ANtilag and stutterbox launches.
FJO Wideband - If you dont know what your AFR is, you might as well sell the car cause youre just going to blow it up.
E-Boost controller - Neat little thing. I can actually program my wastegate to stay shut until the last second. What does that mean? It mean that boost comes on hard and fast, and is controlled by a RISC based processor for crisp reaction. Yeah, its badass.
38mm TIal wastegate and BOV - Needed something big to allow the air to vent fast.
Complete pulley set - lighter pulleys mean that the crank loses less power to accessories. Not critical but every bit helps.
Balance shafts removed - with one less belt under the timing belt, less power is being pulled from the crank, allowing faster revs.
Custom Jack Job transmission with 1-4th double synchros and 4 spyder center diff - I dont like rebuilding transmissions. I had one custom made that copies Sheps jobs, and a few little toys he doesnt have on his builds. Its a nearly bulletproof setup as long as I dont do anything stupid like launch in reverse.
FIC 950cc injectors - if you dont have fuel for the airflow, you'll burn the motor.
Aeromotive A1000 pump - gotta have a pump that can supply the fuel. Better to have too big than too small.
-8AN ss fuel lines - The stock lines can get restrictive, I wanted to take care of this before they became a problem.
Aeromotive FPR - the stock regulator cannot maintain true 1:1 pressure rise with boost.
3" GM MAF and translator - stock MAF is a pile of ****, the GM MAF you guys use is alot better.
XACT Chromoly Flywheel - lighter drivetrain = more revs

Now - what exactly on that list isnt important? Anyone who says a FMIC or boost controller isnt important at 600HP is a ******* idiot.

In other words, YOU.

I put alot of time and research into picking my parts. I'm really enjoying the car, especially when I read about tools like yourself that have no ******* idea how to make a streetable 600HP 4 banger.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

All I want to see from you ricers is a link to the fastest N/A run from one of your cars! No Turbo, No Boost, Nothing. Not even N20.

And silence filled the room.
Your an idiot, not only do I have an LS2 so I know the differences between a V8 and a 4 cylinder but so do most of the import owners posting on here. Notice that even the members that have only LS1's and LT1's aren't backing you anymore. So far you havent posted one truthful or fact filled post, just useless garbage.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02

Really?? So you're saying that your car has that much power down low that it never bogs at lower RPM's?? Bullshit. I've never driven a 2.0 4 banger (cinluding the Evo) that had anything resembling low end power. Its fine once your into the boost, but you can't be taking of at idle by any means, it wil simply stall.

What the hell difference does the redline make when your drving around town as normal speeds?? You can't always be winding the thing out to 8000RPM to get power, it just not practical in everyday driving. Hence the reason I like the power and torque of a V8, its always there when you need it, regardless of RPM. Not to mention you get much better fuel economy at 1500-2000RPM shift speeds as compared to a ridiculous 7500-8500RPM

Instant spool?? Get the **** out of here. What are you saying, you are making full boost from idle to redline?? ANd I'll tell you right now you don't have "more torque than a V8 at the same WHP level" you ricer
Your so stupid it kills me. What is with you and these low end power examples? "If you take off at idle blah blah. Holy Jesus man are you retarded, seriously? Can you drive a 5-speed?

Practical driving? I commute to school 80 miles away 3 days a week and I drive alot. 42000 miles in a little over a year to be exact. Funny Ive never encountered this bogging or stalling you talk of? The car accelerates great in 1st gear withouth boost. ****, Ill make a video if you want. I can take off at idle too btw without giving it gas, then ease into it. You see if you knew jack ****, you wouldnt say dumb comments like youve been making your last 4 posts.

Yes instant spool, the stock turbo spools instantly, but I guess you wouldnt understand that since your posts dont make any sense.

"you don't have "more torque than a V8 at the same WHP level" you ricer "

Oh yeah? Thats funny, heres some for ya "ricer" and just for fun these guys all have more wheel horsepower than me

Adrian87GN - 382rwhp/375tq
CamaroSS01SLP - 395rwhp/375tq
Crazy Man - 393rwhp 370tq
smokeum99ta - 398rwhp/364tq
SSCamaro99_3 - 381rwhp/373tq
01_SuperSlow - 407rwhp/368tq

Hmm... thats funny, I have 378whp and 386tq. So yeah, sorry

Youve proven to be the most thick-headed ignorant moron Ive met on these forums, go read a book, get a clue and come back with some facts, not your incompetent heresay.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:22 PM
Teching In

All I want to see from you ricers is a link to the fastest N/A run from one of your cars! No Turbo, No Boost, Nothing. Not even N20.

And silence filled the room.

Yeah silence filled the room because your comparison is retarded.

Ok so are you suggesting we take factory cars that came with forced induction and take it off, make custom headers for N/A application, redo the ECU, MAF and everything else in order to run N/A then do a comparison? Are you as retarded like Wesman? Holy Sh*t. Good comparison Go tell that one to the 03-04 Cobra guys and the GN guys. Theyll get a good laugh from that.

You know what though, your comparison works for Honda guys though

So lemme get this straight. Its not fair for the 122cubic inch turbo'd guys to run against an N/A 346ci 8cyl? So fair would be 122 vs 346 8cyl? I think your math is off

Last edited by Electric; 03-21-2006 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NIevo
Your an idiot, not only do I have an LS2 so I know the differences between a V8 and a 4 cylinder but so do most of the import owners posting on here. Notice that even the members that have only LS1's and LT1's aren't backing you anymore. So far you havent posted one truthful or fact filled post, just useless garbage.

Someone finally realized no one else is backing these 2 morons on what theyre saying... I wonder how long it will take them to figure it out.

Part of the being intelligent is having the capacity to acquire and apply knowledge. I feel the opposite is occurring here...
Old 03-22-2006, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Electric
Your so stupid it kills me. What is with you and these low end power examples? "If you take off at idle blah blah. Holy Jesus man are you retarded, seriously? Can you drive a 5-speed?

Practical driving? I commute to school 80 miles away 3 days a week and I drive alot. 42000 miles in a little over a year to be exact. Funny Ive never encountered this bogging or stalling you talk of? The car accelerates great in 1st gear withouth boost. ****, Ill make a video if you want. I can take off at idle too btw without giving it gas, then ease into it. You see if you knew jack ****, you wouldnt say dumb comments like youve been making your last 4 posts.

Yes instant spool, the stock turbo spools instantly, but I guess you wouldnt understand that since your posts dont make any sense.

Oh yeah? Thats funny, heres some for ya "ricer" and just for fun these guys all have more wheel horsepower than me

Adrian87GN - 382rwhp/375tq
CamaroSS01SLP - 395rwhp/375tq
Crazy Man - 393rwhp 370tq
smokeum99ta - 398rwhp/364tq
SSCamaro99_3 - 381rwhp/373tq
01_SuperSlow - 407rwhp/368tq

Hmm... thats funny, I have 378whp and 386tq. So yeah, sorry

Youve proven to be the most thick-headed ignorant moron Ive met on these forums, go read a book, get a clue and come back with some facts, not your incompetent heresay.
You know what I'm going to tell you this one time and one time only, if you don't listen you can just keep divving your own grave:

GET THE **** OUT OF HERE. NOBODY GIVES A **** ABOUT HOW AWESOME YOU THINK YOUR FACTORY RICE 4 DOOR 4 BANGER IS. GO BACK TO READING MODIFIED MAG AND CHILLIN WITH YOUR MIDDLE SCHOOL FRIENDS.

All you can do is call names and say I'm "wrong". I've been in enough Evos to be able to call BULLSHIT on 90% of what you just said in that post.

You say you can let the clutch out at idle without stalling??

Your car accelerates great in 1st gear without boost??

And your turbo SPOOLS INSTANTLY????

Seriosuly man, you are a joke, go back to your jap import forums riceboy
Old 03-22-2006, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Electric
Yeah silence filled the room because your comparison is retarded.

Ok so are you suggesting we take factory cars that came with forced induction and take it off, make custom headers for N/A application, redo the ECU, MAF and everything else in order to run N/A then do a comparison? Are you as retarded like Wesman? Holy Sh*t. Good comparison Go tell that one to the 03-04 Cobra guys and the GN guys. Theyll get a good laugh from that.

You know what though, your comparison works for Honda guys though

So lemme get this straight. Its not fair for the 122cubic inch turbo'd guys to run against an N/A 346ci 8cyl? So fair would be 122 vs 346 8cyl? I think your math is off

Dude...In all seriousness...I think you are trying to achieve the title of the biggest rice driving moron on this board.

All Heatmaker did was issue a challenge for you retards to post the fastest N/A import cars. Basically no nitrous, boost, or alchohol injection. And all you can do is play it off like its a joke. You are a joke. And don't being the 03-04 Mustang Cobra guys in here, they would tear you a new ******* just for being so stupid. In case you didn't notice, the 03-04 Cobra engine is basically just an 04 Mach 1 4.6 with a Supercharger. Therefore without the boost, its stil making 305HP. How much would your Evo be making without boost?? 125HP??

If you love riced out jap cars so much move to Japan - because nobody gives a **** here on the LS1 forums.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:26 AM
Launching!

How many Evos have you been in? You said you have never driven one. So how would you know?

What do you drive?

Where do you get these opinions?

I am asking seriously, not trying to flame you.

Because its normal to use the gas to move forward from idle. maybe an LS1 doent need to, but last I was with any of my V8 freinds they use the gas to move forward. FWIW, my 2L turbo will edge forward even up a small uphill grade just by gently letting out the clutch. thats useful in Phoenix traffic beleive me. And my 2L is runing stock compression for a 1G DSM, which is veru low, about 7.8:1. Evos have more and freer intake and exsaust, meaning an Evo, despite have much more power and a bigger turbo is more capable of this than my car.

Secondarily, I shift at about 3500 in normal driving. I almost never go over 4000. I dont need to on my daily 35 miles each way commute to work about 6 times a week, with 70 mph cruising and 35-55 mph streets with probably a dozen lights over the course of my commute.

Do you really consider a Toyota Corrola unstreetable? because your arguments say you do. Its no stronger off boost than any 2L turbo. I dont see people having trouble driving them. Frankly I like have a low key engine untill I cheoose to actually use the power band. I dont drive around looking for races from 5MPH rolls. Thats for stupid kids. You wanna race, make it from a dig.

You generalize way to much. I really dont think you know what your talking about here.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
You know what I'm going to tell you this one time and one time only, if you don't listen you can just keep divving your own grave:

GET THE **** OUT OF HERE. NOBODY GIVES A **** ABOUT HOW AWESOME YOU THINK YOUR FACTORY RICE 4 DOOR 4 BANGER IS. GO BACK TO READING MODIFIED MAG AND CHILLIN WITH YOUR MIDDLE SCHOOL FRIENDS.

All you can do is call names and say I'm "wrong". I've been in enough Evos to be able to call BULLSHIT on 90% of what you just said in that post.

You say you can let the clutch out at idle without stalling??

Your car accelerates great in 1st gear without boost??

And your turbo SPOOLS INSTANTLY????

Seriosuly man, you are a joke, go back to your jap import forums riceboy

HAHAHAHAHA!

Thats it, tell me to get the F out of here because I proved you wrong time in and time out and the only thing you can say is to get out of here or "no youre wrong!". No response to that torque comparison huh?

Go read modifid mag? Tell everyone how great my car is? Comeone man, come up with something better than that. Everything Ive said has been factual, yet you on the otherhand have only said hilarious yet incredibly illogical and fallacious statements.

Your lack of intelligence is unfathomable. Notice like the other guy said, not 1 person on here is backing you up anymore because your not making any sense. Its not me ITS YOU, but I guess you just dont get that You are in your own world of idle bogging and ridiculous undriveable turbolag yet somehow no one else talks of this.

Call bullshit all you want, your only kidding yourself.

OH BTW, if you took the supercharger off the 4.6L 03-04 Cobra car you wouldnt have 305HP because it has low compression The standard 4.6L that comes in the Mach's and the regular GT's has higher compression because... ITS N/A! The fact you agree with Heatmakers great comparison just confirms your as retarded as him for thinking that one up. Hmm lets take a low compression motor setup for a turbo from the factory and take it off? Do you not understand some motors are MADE specifically for forced induction? This is basic sh*t!

Im done replying with you, youre just too ignorant to even talk to anymore. It was hilarious at first but now its just sad. You did make my day however so thank you for that.

I pity you.

One last thing though, can you prove me wrong on that how my car doesnt make more torque at the same whp. I threw you some facts of members on this board but your reply was "get the F out"

Peace.

Last edited by Electric; 03-22-2006 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:37 AM
Teching In

I repeat my earlier challenge, you can have your big strapping v-8 all you want, you just have to pull 4 spark plugs out, after all, were shooting for a quality comparison right?
Old 03-22-2006, 08:20 AM
Banned

Kids these days. Sheesh.

Seriously, do you two morons actually think before you post? Have you ridden in a highly modified 2.0L DSM or EVO? I'm pretty sure that if you asked nicely over on Evolutionm.net you'd probably have one or two people be happy to do so. I'm in Denver or I'd gladly give you some whiplash.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

I cant believe this thread is not locked yet. Another one of our threads turned into a benchracer BS thread. Why are there so many benchracers out here on the net? Just shut up and go out and race already. There are fast imports out there for those of you who dont actually ever race. Who cares if it has a turbo or whatever especially when a lot of cars come factory like that, if it was taken off, the car probably wouldnt even run right. So thats the dumbest arguement ever. And yes we know that a NA V8 will almost always make more power than a NA 4 Cyl, thats common sense.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Can we get this thread locked???
Old 03-22-2006, 09:08 AM
Banned

Everyone wave at the backseat moderator.

Last edited by XakEp; 03-22-2006 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:23 AM
Launching!

I never wrote that I think you got that from some other person on this fourm. As for your 378 hp yeah you make it, but not like we do. N/A motors maintain the HP and TQ levels consistantly. Turbo cars have inconsistant HP and TQ curves, untill thier turbo's reach maximum potential your not actually making 378 hp.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by XakEp
Everyone wave at the backseat moderator.

LOL, its just annoying when ya wanna read some good kill threads but all ya get to see is a bunch of ricerlike arguements.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:21 AM
Banned

I never wrote that I think you got that from some other person on this fourm. As for your 378 hp yeah you make it, but not like we do. N/A motors maintain the HP and TQ levels consistantly. Turbo cars have inconsistant HP and TQ curves, untill thier turbo's reach maximum potential your not actually making 378 hp.
So all I have to do is put my car on a dyno back to back and produce the same power curve to prove you wrong?

Do I even have to DO this for you to realize how stupid that statement of yours is?
Old 03-22-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

So all I have to do is put my car on a dyno back to back and produce the same power curve to prove you wrong?

Do I even have to DO this for you to realize how stupid that statement of yours is?
I think he meant that the curve wont be very flat, but it would be peaky. If he meant that you cant get the same curve on back to back dyno runs, well thats just plain stupid.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by brad8266
I think he meant that the curve wont be very flat, but it would be peaky. If he meant that you cant get the same curve on back to back dyno runs, well thats just plain stupid.
Either way its stupid. I've seen plenty of turbo cars with nice flat torque curves. Its all about what parts you put in the car and if they match or not. There are plenty of dyno sheets out there that you cant tell if its turbo or N/A from just looking at the sheet.

Dial the cams in, get the right turbo for your setup and get a nice flat AFR and the power curve should be nice and smooth. I have no idea why he's bitching about a peaky power curve.

Hell, what does he think happens when you turbo a V8, the power curve suddenly goes all wonky because its not N/A anymore?
Old 03-22-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Either way its stupid. I've seen plenty of turbo cars with nice flat torque curves. Its all about what parts you put in the car and if they match or not. There are plenty of dyno sheets out there that you cant tell if its turbo or N/A from just looking at the sheet.

Dial the cams in, get the right turbo for your setup and get a nice flat AFR and the power curve should be nice and smooth. I have no idea why he's bitching about a peaky power curve.
Good point, there are turbo cars out there with fairly flat curves, and hell turbo cars usually make lots of torque as well.

Quick Reply: Just raced a fast EVO8