Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Just raced a fast EVO8

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes your right most DSMs are in the MIDWEST area, there is a large amount in the midwest///
Old 03-21-2006, 03:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatmaker
This guy has a DSM oh my... I can't believe it...

and all the **** talking he does I was hoping he owned atleast some car that couldn't be had for 1200 bucks and a can of Soda pop. No DSM owner should ever talk **** on these boards. a 600hp DSM with a 2.9 0-60 and no turbo lag oh man... that made my day... I bet you own a laser or something too.
You know, there's a guy locally trying to sell a 1975 Camaro. Poor guy cant GIVE it away.

I drive (among other cars) a 1995 Talon. No external markings, no stickers. Yes, it can do a 2.9 0-60, its been timed at the track. No, it had no turbo lag at all. What the hell do you think launching it at 6250 rpms does to this "lag" you speak of?

The others are right - research anti-lag and you might get an idea of what the car can do.

Oh, and I didnt say I was 2.0L.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Electric
Im not your "son"
Too bad I was making fun of you when I said that, I wasn't actually calling you "son". Get a clue

Im not assuming anything. From what youve said in youre responses youve shown you know nothing.

Stalling and bogging due to lack of torque and turbo lag What the hell are you talking about. Way off-base, definitely hilarious though.
Really?? So you're saying that your car has that much power down low that it never bogs at lower RPM's?? Bullshit. I've never driven a 2.0 4 banger (cinluding the Evo) that had anything resembling low end power. Its fine once your into the boost, but you can't be taking of at idle by any means, it wil simply stall.

Yes Ive driven plenty of V8s, I almost got a 2002 Z06 in fact, and I loved it, but the $/insurance was just a little too much. You keep going back to this, making boost at xxRPM. Like I said before, get your head out of your *** and realize these cars dont redline at 6000. Its 7500 stock and with larger turbos 8000-8500. We dont sit or drive around at 1500-2000rpm. We dont have to. Do you race from 2000rpm? I dont.
What the hell difference does the redline make when your drving around town as normal speeds?? You can't always be winding the thing out to 8000RPM to get power, it just not practical in everyday driving. Hence the reason I like the power and torque of a V8, its always there when you need it, regardless of RPM. Not to mention you get much better fuel economy at 1500-2000RPM shift speeds as compared to a ridiculous 7500-8500RPM

ave 500whp but Im close to 400 on the stock turbo with instant spool. After my Alcohol kit goes in I should be around the 410whp mark and instant spool. What a drag Funny I should have more torque than most V8s with the whp level too
Instant spool?? Get the **** out of here. What are you saying, you are making full boost from idle to redline?? ANd I'll tell you right now you don't have "more torque than a V8 at the same WHP level" you ricer
Old 03-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

Honestly people need to quit talking about cars they know nothing about because it make them look really stupid.

I'll just use Evo's as an example as its what I know.

You will not "stall" or "bog" taking off from idle under nomal driving. I hit full boost by 3500rpm so there also is no need for "6000+rpm launches".

Most Evo's unless they are 500+whp have an equal amount of torque as horsepower if tuned properly. So tell me again whats wrong with a 4cylinder with 400hp and 400ft-lb torque?

My car while running low 12's still gets 25+mpg. What does your car get again?

Turbo'd and small displacement motors are geared differently than V8's for a reason, they make very good use of there powerband. I usually am driving at 2000-2500rpm and trust me when I get on it there is no "lag". It spools so fast you don't even notice the 1000rpm's in between. Im not saying that every turbo motor is the same and yes, some of the big turbo Supra's etc. dont hit full boost until much higher in the rpm range so there is alittle lag but they have ways around the lag.

I also agree with the "lock this thread" mentions!
Old 03-21-2006, 04:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by XakEp
You know, there's a guy locally trying to sell a 1975 Camaro. Poor guy cant GIVE it away.

I drive (among other cars) a 1995 Talon. No external markings, no stickers. Yes, it can do a 2.9 0-60, its been timed at the track. No, it had no turbo lag at all. What the hell do you think launching it at 6250 rpms does to this "lag" you speak of?

The others are right - research anti-lag and you might get an idea of what the car can do.

Oh, and I didnt say I was 2.0L.

Im goign to have to say bullshit. You don't seem knowledagable about cars at all... and I guarantee you can't build a car with 600 hp that is bullet proof enough to drop at 6000RPM's. Do you have any idea what that would take to make possible? Or are you just spewing bullshit. And I"m not even talkign about HP on this one. Besisdes the fact I already knwo your full of ****, I just would like to watch you choke on your own feces, that you've been spewing all over these message boards.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by slick1851
Yes your right most DSMs are in the MIDWEST area, there is a large amount in the midwest///

They are? I didn't know that... so what are these things rotting away on the second hand lots around here with Laser Pymouth, Eagle Talon, and Mitsubishi Eclipse written all over them?

Maybe some fast ones exist... but atleast from my experience I have never seen one on the street or the track.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

They are? I didn't know that... so what are these things rotting away on the second hand lots around here with Laser Pymouth, Eagle Talon, and Mitsubishi Eclipse written all over them?

Maybe some fast ones exist... but atleast from my experience I have never seen one on the street or the track.
I bet the majority of the ones that you see rotting away are the pos N/A ones. Most of the people that own 1G DSM's that are built are really into the perfomance and dont "rice them out". One of the best sleeper race cars ever.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

I always here the Turbo 4-6 banger guys talking about instant spool and zero lag time...

Funny how when I race them there suppossedly 300-450 rwhp car falls 3 cars behind me everytime it shifts gears...Yea..No boost lag there. ha ha ha ha ha aha

Then when we hit it initially I take off the second I press the throttle...You see there car in the rearview from the get go...

The only time these kinda cars are even a challange is when there at full boost. But they better hope their rwhp is higher than yours cas if it's any were near equal your gonna pull away from them with ease the second their car remembers it's a little 2.0-3.4 engine and is caught with it's pants down for a second without boost...

They slap these huge turbo's on these things and dont hit boost till the mid-upper rpm's...

Sure it will make more power on the dyno but what about all the rpm's were the car was making 170 rwhp till it gets into the boost and makes 400????

For every 10 boosted imports you see....7 are 14 second cars...2 run high 12's-low 13's...And one got it right and runs 10's-11's.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Banned

Im goign to have to say bullshit. You don't seem knowledagable about cars at all... and I guarantee you can't build a car with 600 hp that is bullet proof enough to drop at 6000RPM's. Do you have any idea what that would take to make possible? Or are you just spewing bullshit. And I"m not even talkign about HP on this one. Besisdes the fact I already knwo your full of ****, I just would like to watch you choke on your own feces, that you've been spewing all over these message boards.
Heh.. I dont DROP the clutch. Thats a good way to end up with transmission soup. I step off the clutch and match the revs.

Tell you what - when the season starts back up again I'll take a video of my car launching at 6k rpms and we'll see what happens. Oh, as to how the car can take it? There isnt a whole lot left in the engine bay thats stock. Maybe some of the wiring harness and the bellhousing...

Here's my mod list, just for your own edification.

4g64 block
lightened 4g64 crank
Eagle H-beam rods
Wiseco 8.5:1 forged pistons
3" IC Piping
Crower 414 cams
Fidanza cam gears
BJ Intake Manifold
Crower Ti springs and retainers
1G head swap
65mm TB
Bigass FMIC
SC63 T4 turbo
Custom T4 Manifold
3" exhaust turbo to tip
DSMlink V2
FJO Wideband
E-Boost controller
38mm TIal wastegate and BOV
Complete pulley set
Balance shafts removed
Custom Jack Job transmission with 1-4th double synchros and 4 spyder center diff
FIC 950cc injectors
Aeromotive A1000 pump
-8AN ss fuel lines
Aeromotive FPR
3" GM MAF and translator
XACT Chromoly Flywheel
Old 03-21-2006, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2.73 Vette

Funny how when I race them there suppossedly 300-450 rwhp car falls 3 cars behind me everytime it shifts gears...Yea..No boost lag there. ha ha ha ha ha aha
If a turbo car is falling behind you when he shifts he catn drive, you dont fall out of boost unless you are a shitty *** driver and take 2-3seconds to find gears.

For every 10 boosted imports you see....7 are 14 second cars...2 run high 12's-low 13's...And one got it right and runs 10's-11's.
Sounds about right. Also holds pretty true for V8's.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:49 PM
Banned

And one got it right and runs 10's-11's.
Youre talking to one that got it right.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:50 PM
Launching!

^Id say thats generous accross the board. More like 1 in 20 in both camps.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Oh man this board is horrible sometimes. You have a few that are very smart and knowledgeable and then you have some that use general statements to describe everything becasue it suits there agenda.

Not every DSM owner or import owner for that matter want's to be like you guys and swing his E-dick around with huge HP numbers. Some are very happy with a decently quick car. Can I make a 600 AWHP DSM? I sure could. Would it put down the number and run the times, sure would. Is that what I want, not at this time in my life. Low 12's on pump are just fine for me.

Along with that it doesn't mean anything if you haven't seen a high HP DSM. Does that mean they don't exist, not at all. Some poeple don't have a Napolean complex and have to shout out there numbers or accomplishments to feel good about themselves. I go to the track at least three times a month all year around, if it is open, and I rarly see 11 second or faster F bodies. Do they exist, yes, I either rode in one on the way or know a few people that have them.

As far as turbo lag a properly setup car will have MANY ways around it. I can use Antilag/stutterbox to launch at 10-12 lbs. My Shep tranny will handle it just fine, so no worries there. If I had a "huge" turbo as some have said I could use my no-lift-to shift feature (again antilag) to keep the turbo spooled between shifts so that is no longer a problem. As far as daily driving my 20G builds boost in 5th at about 2500 rpm, slightly about my cruising RPM at 50-55. With just a slight push on the pedal I can easily go around other cars. If I really wanted to get on it I would down shift just like any other car, big cube V8 or otherwise.

I think it is sad that some people have to try and find little things about certain cars to try and force there opinion on others. If you don't like sport compacts then don't read threads about them. If you don't like V8's then this is the wrong board. I myself enjoy all kinds of cars and can see both pro's and con's for each. Either way this argument is just stupid and now people are just trying to be ******** to each other.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Junkie

What the **** is your problem??

DSMs have been around forever and there is a HUGE following and are very focused on performance.

The ones that are rotting are high mile peices of **** that no one wants

First of all if your going to make fun of a car know somthing about it, so what about your LT1 if you want to get started on BASHING cars..........Im sure the LS1 guys would have a feild day with that one.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Junkie

If you havent seen a high power DSM then your live under a mother **** Rock, there are DSMs all over the midwest.

Most of the Huge DSM shops are in the midwest area, U think buscher racing has been around because no one mods these cars. Hell the guy has been making banck for over 10years now. DSMs are only focused on drag racing, just like Fbodys sorry there not RWD but there AWD and can be daily driven.

DSMTUNERS.COM

DSMTALK.COM

Buscher racing.com

etc there is some huge forums and so much info on DSMs its not even funny, these are not hondas at all, and its proven to make stock block 500hp...

Can a LT1 make 500HP STOCK BLOCK? Maybe but that 4cyc will outa last your motor under abuse. Get a clue, I know alot about Fbodys and DSMs so I can talk some poeple dont know **** about **** and are E warriors thats all I see...
Old 03-21-2006, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Its funny how anyone that drives a non- Fbody is immediately labelled a "ricer". It shows that they are either

A. Ignorant
B. Don't understand the term ricer

Seeing as how everyone here is so "enlightened", they would know that the term ricer refers to a car that looks fast (wing, aero, etc....) but isn't.

Now that you know the definition of ricer, any further references to DSM's as "ricers" would put you in category A. In my neck of the woods, there are more riced out mustangs/fbodies than there are civics. And that is pretty damn bad.

BTW its funny that the V-8 commandos are comparing their motors to technology that is 10+ years older than theirs. I've owned both. And don't even make me remind you about what you guys were driving when the DSM was new *cough* TBI *cough*. To most people it is an issue of preference, to a few of you it seems an issue of IGNORANCE.

It is also funny they choose to cite one of the worst examples of racing (the Pinks import t00ner) to back up their claims. If we are going to go that route I'll just point to the Viper that showed up at the track and ran an uber leet 14.8 with all his torque.......

Last edited by 92TSiAWD; 03-21-2006 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Junkie

I drive a Fbody, and a DSM and like I stated the DSM will walk it all day long and rap on my TA. But now im classed as a ricer.

92TSiAWD if you really want to get tech the 4G63 has been around since the early 80s in a singel cam version. 4G63 has alot of history and racing time, the EVO has a ton of history also and has won many rallys.

I dont get why people are downing cars, My buddys own Fbodys,supras,Evos,DSMs,Mustangs etc and everyone knows all these car can be fast if you build them right.

http://www.dsmtimes.org/times.php?Page=1
http://www.dsmtimes.org/times.php?He...Type_1g&Page=1
http://www.dsmtimes.org/times.php?He...Type_2g&Page=1
http://www.dsmtimes.org/times.php?He...ype=evo&Page=1

Fastest stock tubo times
http://www.dsmtimes.org/times.php?He...rbo_14b&Page=1
Fastest 16G times
http://www.dsmtimes.org/times.php?He...rbo_16g&Page=1
BOOST ONLY TIMES
http://www.dsmtimes.org/times.php?He...llTurbo&Page=1
Fastest AWD times
http://www.dsmtimes.org/times.php?He...ype=AWD&Page=1
FWD TIMES
http://www.dsmtimes.org/times.php?He...ype=FWD&Page=1

There is more if you look at the page, but this is for lazy asses..........And this site is Brand new so alot more poeple are going to be posting up more times.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Junkie

The 4 with no labels are some of the fastest ones, and the rest ive labeled give you a idea of what they can do......
Old 03-21-2006, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slick1851
I drive a Fbody, and a DSM and like I stated the DSM will walk it all day long and rap on my TA. But now im classed as a ricer.

92TSiAWD if you really want to get tech the 4G63 has been around since the early 80s in a singel cam version. 4G63 has alot of history and racing time, the EVO has a ton of history also and has won many rallys.

I dont get why people are downing cars, My buddys own Fbodys,supras,Evos,DSMs,Mustangs etc and everyone knows all these car can be fast if you build them right.

http://www.dsmtimes.org/times.php?Page=1
http://www.dsmtimes.org/times.php?He...Type_1g&Page=1
http://www.dsmtimes.org/times.php?He...Type_2g&Page=1
http://www.dsmtimes.org/times.php?He...ype=evo&Page=1

Fastest stock tubo times
http://www.dsmtimes.org/times.php?He...rbo_14b&Page=1
Fastest 16G times
http://www.dsmtimes.org/times.php?He...rbo_16g&Page=1
BOOST ONLY TIMES
http://www.dsmtimes.org/times.php?He...llTurbo&Page=1
Fastest AWD times
http://www.dsmtimes.org/times.php?He...ype=AWD&Page=1
FWD TIMES
http://www.dsmtimes.org/times.php?He...ype=FWD&Page=1

There is more if you look at the page, but this is for lazy asses..........And this site is Brand new so alot more poeple are going to be posting up more times.
I know, I was refering to the incarnation they are currently calling rice.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WRX-ERROR
This is my whole point. How can you not respect a car that was build for rally yet hang with an LS1 in the 1/4?
The displacement thing was cause people were harping over the AWD thing.
Youre kidding right?

No doubt the STI and EVo are built very well with excellent power and handling, but look at the facts...

They have good size turbos on them, there AWD cars, and they are tuned to go like hell. People do respect them, they are well built machines.

But...

How much does a brand new EVO cost again? $35+K?
I could build 3 LT1 cars, smoke them both(STI./EVO) 0-170 miles per hour, anytime, anywhere at any speed, and have money left over to rent out a bar for a night with a Keg of beer, buy tons of weed, an 8 ball and 3 hookers.

oops, did i say that out loud.....

Now thats what I call performance

Quick Reply: Just raced a fast EVO8