Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Legal advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 04:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Legal advice

sorry if this is the wrong forum but it does have to do with racing (kind of). I got pulled over for doing a burnout in a parking lot. the ticket was for racing which is a criminal offence in Florida. part of racing is in the Florida statute is defined as and exhibition of excelaration. there are some pretty serious penalties for racing. i have to go to court and i hope things turn out well. if this is the wrong forum move me but it does have to do with racing (tickets). thanks
Old 03-06-2006, 05:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OOooo I got a racing ticket.... It was before they REALLY started to crack down. 24 hours of driving school. $350 fine plus court cost ect... Missed 3 days of work ended up costing me over a grand. Thats was close to 10 years ago. Im sure you will get railed harder....get a lawyer
Old 03-06-2006, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

I'm in the same situation you are. Only I got caught in philly. and wasnt doing a burnout. Like said, get a lawyer. With whawt you where doing he may get the charge lessened. I however, wasn't doing a burnout so I'm hoping the lawyer will do me some good.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Just went through a similar ordeal. Got hit with a street racing (reckless driving) ticket about a few months ago.

Funny thing is that it wasn't much of a race. I just lined up with a cobra (03-04) he hit it on green and i followed, i didn't think he was becuz of the traffic. Anyways, traffic was pretty tight and i didn't even get out of first. He kept going, turned into the parking lane on the rihgt, swung back into the driving lanes. When i got to his right, i was mid sentence "Dude, your nuts, when i see him look in his mirror ashe got lit-up. "man, that sucks" was the thoughts going through my mind when i noticed the cop get behind me and the cobra try to escape by making a quick left.

He got caught and we were both were cuffed and threatened. My arresting officer, and yes, they can and will arrest you depending on your record and attitude, was pretty cool, i guess, gave a promise to appear and even sugested, since both our cars were getting towed, slip the tow guy a few bucks and get home.

long story short, got a lawyer, promised all sorts of stuff for the officer not show up on the court date. I was hella nervous as i coould of still got sentenced since it is a criminal case.

It still says on my record, reckless driving-criminal.

I would suggest a lawyer and one that might have some experience. The law states that any act of speed, or act of vehicle aplitude, may it be on the street or a parking lot, burnouts are all punishable by law. Even an assembly of vehicles can yield some punishment. I think the law has gottan a bit redilculous bcuz the same guys giving tickets drive and RACE ( i have seen this first hand) on the street. Also, the politicians dont understand that a burnout is just really fun and see it as a point ti gain votes. They take the law to far, though most is necesary, and now we can't even start our cars becuz we might be a ticket for turning on a sport car in a non sportscar zone!!
Old 03-06-2006, 06:44 PM
Launching!

thanks guys things are not looking good though wish me luck
Old 03-06-2006, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Dress Well. Last time I was in court some dumbarse in the docket ahead of me looked like he had been out drinking all night, and he was no incarcerated at the time. he just showed up that way.

Get a suit. And a Tie. And if you cant tie it right, figure it out the night before and leave it so it only needs to be tightened.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow - this convinces me to only do my running at the strip. I just posted a thread relating to a cop situation today. Definitely get a Lawyer. In Texas, they take us straight to jail. Well, most of the time.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by nomadnate
sorry if this is the wrong forum but it does have to do with racing (kind of). I got pulled over for doing a burnout in a parking lot. the ticket was for racing which is a criminal offence in Florida. part of racing is in the Florida statute is defined as and exhibition of excelaration. there are some pretty serious penalties for racing. i have to go to court and i hope things turn out well. if this is the wrong forum move me but it does have to do with racing (tickets). thanks
3 words..

HIRE A LAWYER!
Old 03-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hire a lawyer and look GOOD! If you look good, and dont come off as cocky, you will appear to be "just some unlucky guy getting caught doing his once a year romping" as opposed to someone who races all the time and doesnt give a ****.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

well, the good thing is you were in a parking lot. Kind of hard to say your racing in a parking lot. Lawyer should have no problem getting that thrown out. Even wreckless driving shouldn't stick. Should be no more than a spinning the wheels. They call that something, but not street racing.

private parking lots are not public roads!
Old 03-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Launching!

i hope the judge sees it my way and i will dress nicely no prob. according to the statute it is against the law to give an exhibition of acceleration (i guess that means burnouts) and it includes parking lots but maybe not private ones.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow...doing a burout in Florida is considered street racing?? Thats just plain retarded.

What happened to citing people for offences they actually committed??
Old 03-07-2006, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

What the hell are you doing here for legal advice. Go get a damn lawyer. LOL Good luck, what a BS ticket
Old 03-07-2006, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Wow...doing a burout in Florida is considered street racing?? Thats just plain retarded.
Cop here tried to get me for "reckless" because I spun my tires from a stop.

Had just left a club, and was parked in the grass...it had been raining and I was making a right hand turn onto the street..Said I "Spun" my tires

Funny thing was 2 cars pulled me over and 2 more showed up like 30 sec later One of the guys in my car was a cop and he said they must have thought I was drunk, and when I wasn't they had to get me for something.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nomadnate
i hope the judge sees it my way and i will dress nicely no prob. according to the statute it is against the law to give an exhibition of acceleration (i guess that means burnouts) and it includes parking lots but maybe not private ones.
Dont sweat it Ive been charged with that twice and they drooped the criminal charges and fined me $125.00 both times.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Oh, I didnt have a lawyer either time and they even had me on film the second time.Good luck and sound sorry and regretful.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

They call it reckless driving because someone decided that if your tires were spinning you have reduced (or none at all) control of the car. Here in NorCal they can and might call you on it for chirping between shifts!

At the very least they use it as an opportunity to pull you over and check you out and maybe give you a sobriety check...

I try not to give 'em any reason to pull me over. Racing Sunday morning around 10-11AM is a great time. Tuesday nights after rush hour is good as well. Pick your battles.

Jim
Old 03-09-2006, 11:24 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
Lawyer should have no problem getting that thrown out. Even wreckless driving shouldn't stick. Should be no more than a spinning the wheels. They call that something, but not street racing.
They call it Improper Start. Basicaly its a way for an ******* cop to be an *******.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:44 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the cop pulls a U-turn to catch you, will that cancel it out?LMAO
Old 03-09-2006, 11:46 PM
Launching!

It's called laying drag in some places.