Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

How to Kill a SVT Cobra?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 08:17 AM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Really jay?... There's ALOT down here man. ALOT.
I mean just driving around, not heading out to Towers looking. Im not going to LOOK for a KB/WHIPPLE until May when I have one. I know they are here though, thats what sucks......my luck, Ill run into one going to 7-11 at 2am.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your best bet, with a cobra or ANY CAR...is traction. It's hard to beat a setup you mentioned, if the car hooks well. Power matters but, not as much as traction. Atleast from a dig. Get some GOOD traction,...launch on your 150 shot, and race them ONLY from a dig. It's your best bet on the street, as MOST of these drivers with big power, can't lay it down, or don't posses the skill to put it down, regardless of car.

Race them from a dig,...you'll be alright for a while.
Traction.....I got that covered now.....just dropped $800 on a new set of 18 inch Falken's.

When we raced the SVT Cobra, he woulden't race me from a launch.....he only said he'd race from a 25mph rolling start. His buddy in the 2005 GT didn't stand a chance....we dusted him bad....rolling and from a launch.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
I mean just driving around, not heading out to Towers looking. Im not going to LOOK for a KB/WHIPPLE until May when I have one. I know they are here though, thats what sucks......my luck, Ill run into one going to 7-11 at 2am.

yeah true. I guess I haven't ran into one, just driveing.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
Traction.....I got that covered now.....just dropped $800 on a new set of 18 inch Falken's.

When we raced the SVT Cobra, he woulden't race me from a launch.....he only said he'd race from a 25mph rolling start. His buddy in the 2005 GT didn't stand a chance....we dusted him bad....rolling and from a launch.

You see what I mean,..."only from a roll"... whats that tell you?...lol. Homeboy can't lay it down. Sucks for him.

As for your 18 inch falkens dawg,...not exactly known for traction on a sprayed LS1 bro. Better borrow some drag radials,...even from a 25 roll. Personally, on street tires, on motor, I have traction issue up to third. On goodyear F1's that is. 295 18's.

Grab yourself some better tires, and con him into a dig.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Your best bet, with a cobra or ANY CAR...is traction. It's hard to beat a setup you mentioned, if the car hooks well. Power matters but, not as much as traction. Atleast from a dig. Get some GOOD traction,...launch on your 150 shot, and race them ONLY from a dig. It's your best bet on the street, as MOST of these drivers with big power, can't lay it down, or don't posses the skill to put it down, regardless of car.

Race them from a dig,...you'll be alright for a while.
I agree with this.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by unit213
I agree with this.

holy ****?
Old 03-14-2006, 09:15 AM
TECH Addict

i GOT ACCESS TO SOME M/T DRAG RADIALS.....THER'RE ON SOEM SHITTY WHEELS BUT....THERE FOR QUICK CHANGE.

I'M THINKING ABOUT AN ADJUSTABLE PAN HARD BAR AND SOME GMS LOWER CONTROL ARMS......I CAN GET THEM CHEAP RIGHT NOW.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?
Old 03-14-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
i GOT ACCESS TO SOME M/T DRAG RADIALS.....THER'RE ON SOEM SHITTY WHEELS BUT....THERE FOR QUICK CHANGE.

I'M THINKING ABOUT AN ADJUSTABLE PAN HARD BAR AND SOME GMS LOWER CONTROL ARMS......I CAN GET THEM CHEAP RIGHT NOW.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

I think your on the right path.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:26 AM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

It can only help. Get em.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

holy ****?
Old 03-14-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Yea, I happened to say that everyday in Highschool when it was considered fast, but I do know where you are going with it. Button it up lover boy and enjoy the thread.

Hows this for ya, 14.10's at 127.
Don't get upset shortcake, just find it comical.

On a side note I don't understand why some people post dyno#'s and no track times. If your big into the street scene and run for money then I can see your motivation. Buddy's brother-in-law was at Milan Dragway two years ago and there was a blue Z06 there running very fast. It was obvious it was a turbo set-up but no times displayed up on the clock and no plates on the car. They just picked up their timeslips and kept to themselves. There was quite a bit of speculation as to what the car ran but apparently it was a lingenfelter TT pkg. and they run it for big $$$ on the street.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

Don't get spray, that's cheap IMO.

Get DRs, gears, and the minor bolt-ons and do it from a dig. You should take him out of the hole and hold it there. Get your license plate to say: CBRAKLLR or MONGOOSE or STNGKLLR or POTATOE. That would be pimp.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Torque-Wrench, is your car a manual or an auto?
Old 03-14-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2.73 Vette
Now you show me a list ( not a top 10 list) of what stock cobras run...I want you to prove to me how these stock LS1 vettes need all bolt ons and a cam as well as DR's to beat a car thats 4 tenths faster...
I never said LS1 Vettes. Where did I ever say that? I was talking about LS1 f-bodys all along, since thats what "Torque_Wrench" has and wanted to know what he needed in order to take a SVT Cobra. I assume he meant 03-04 Cobras, since he should have no problem with 93-99/01 Cobras. I was under the impression that a Cobra was a solid mid 12 second car stock. But as we all may know, what 03-04 Cobra is still stock? Most are not, so I still stand by what I said. Full bolt-ons (full exhaust, cutout, lid, FRA, PTB, UDP, SFC's), DR's and a nice cam. Let's face it, the chances of running into a stock Cobra on the street are slim to none. Let's put this story to rest. He asked what he needed in order to beat one, and I gave him my opinion. After all, isn't that what forums are all about? Stating your own opinions?
Old 03-14-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
Torque-Wrench, is your car a manual or an auto?
AUTOMATIC
Old 03-14-2006, 12:09 PM
12 Second Club

Get a good converter and drag radials. From a dig, the cobra will have a very hard time overcoming the lead. I don't even have full boltons yet, even though my headers are in the mail.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Priest
Don't get spray, that's cheap IMO.

Get DRs, gears, and the minor bolt-ons and do it from a dig. You should take him out of the hole and hold it there. Get your license plate to say: CBRAKLLR or MONGOOSE or STNGKLLR or POTATOE. That would be pimp.
Cheap? lol.....hell....I like the "spray"......it's a hell of a lot cheaper than having to buy a "blower" ot turbo.

You know the ol' saying.....350 bred, bottle fed
Old 03-14-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Get a good converter and drag radials. From a dig, the cobra will have a very hard time overcoming the lead. I don't even have full boltons yet, even though my headers are in the mail.
What kind of header you got coming? I had to go with the Pacesetters......
Old 03-14-2006, 12:26 PM
12 Second Club

QTPs and their ORY.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

QTPs and their ORY.
Ooooooohhhhh.....Quick Time's......*nice*.......great choice.

Boy, sure would have liked to have had enough cash to have me a set of those nice....Kooks Custom headers! *sweet*