Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

A few kills in the VR4

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 10:51 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few kills in the VR4

So i decided to take my daily driver out to the street races earlier today. Its a 1991 3000gt VR4 17psi. I cant speed shift this car,shifter is extremely blotchy,feels like clutch is dragging. I can speed shift it but it doesnt feel good and it is my daily driver so i dont do it. So i had to lift throttle shift. Anyway i really didnt plan on racing anybody but you guys know how it is. Wouldve taken ws6 if i planned on racing. But i bracket raced it last night,so i decided to give it a break. Anyway,raced my cousins 2006 Cobalt SS. His only mods. are a cold air intake and bypass solenoid mod. We ran from a dig to 135mph. I pulled a car on the launch,4000rpm launch, and pulled about 4-5 cars on him by the end. Also raced a 99 Trans Am. Looked all stock except for catback. We went 3 times from dig. First race,i bogged the launch ,he pulled a car,once i got going i started pulling on him and he let off. So we did it again. This time i get an amazing launch. I mean perfect,5000rpm ,little slip on the clutch and i was outta there. Pulled 2 cars to 60mph and 3 to 120mph. The third race,i bogged the launch again ,then 3rd gear grinded(tried to speed shift it to make up for crappy launch!) ,so i just put it in netrual and coasted rest of way.
Was a fun day though. Cousin did some reverse donuts in his Cobalt SS! Almost hit the curb! There will be a video of all races held today on streetfire.net and probably here too. Memphis Racing Scene Volume 6.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Regular

Haha sounds like fun. Wonder if anyone will be calling BS on your beating a 99 TA (lol, just throwing that out there you know import vs domestic )
Old 03-26-2006, 11:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by UL LOSE
So i decided to take my daily driver out to the street races earlier today. Its a 1991 3000gt VR4 17psi. I cant speed shift this car,shifter is extremely blotchy,feels like clutch is dragging. I can speed shift it but it doesnt feel good and it is my daily driver so i dont do it. So i had to lift throttle shift. Anyway i really didnt plan on racing anybody but you guys know how it is. Wouldve taken ws6 if i planned on racing. 6.
Ok. I dont know about your Modded VR4, but about a month after I got my Z, All i had was a CAI and Tune ( remove skip shift, top speed limiter, adjust Air/Fuel up some at WOT ) but nothing really serious.

I had a Stealth pull up next to me, newer one ( no pop-up lights ) and it was the AWD RT Turbo.

I was on the highway,( I-90) and the guy kept messing with me. So after my smoke session ( cough, mexican tobacco, cough cough ) i darted up beside him and put my tranny in D to make it sound loud. ( i Know, im an idiot )

No honks, he just punches it.
We took off at about 75, and by 110 I had him by 2 lengths.
It must have been stock.

Hey, it wa a good excuse to air out the car!
Old 03-27-2006, 12:04 AM
Racer

Sounds like the Stealth was bone stock or he couldnt drive. And if anyone wants to call ,Mellon (ls1tech member) has videos of all the races. Technically the guys ls1 beat me 2 of 3 runs because of my shitty launching. But i pulled him pretty hard threw the gears.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:49 AM
Banned

Sounds like the Stealth was bone stock or he couldnt drive. And if anyone wants to call ,Mellon (ls1tech member) has videos of all the races. Technically the guys ls1 beat me 2 of 3 runs because of my shitty launching. But i pulled him pretty hard threw the gears.
Well, the AWD's advantages are off the line.
But that is a heavy drivetrain to push at 75 mph.

I knew I had more topend and could get him 80mph+, but I didnt think i was gonna pull on him that much.

The A4 hit the gear perfect, and im pretty sure the RT was manual, I could tell by listening to him. At speed, it was relatively quiet, but all my windows were up at the time hmm. wonder why?
Old 03-27-2006, 12:54 AM
Racer

Of course,they dont make auto. VR4s or Stealth R/Ts.(Twin Turbos). If they're running 17psi in stock trim(just up the boost from 9psi 1st gen.), when they hit 80mph is when they are gonna pull you if they're running right. Ive done 170mph in mine. And theyll murder you off the redlight.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:56 AM
Banned

Old 03-27-2006, 01:06 AM
Racer

That picture kinda freaks me out! lol
Old 03-27-2006, 01:11 AM
Staging Lane

i know for a fact that ul lose is right. i had one before my ta i have now and with ONLY a boost controller they are no joke. fun cars, but can be expensive to maintain.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:14 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by K-Dub379
i know for a fact that ul lose is right. i had one before my ta i have now and with ONLY a boost controller they are no joke. fun cars, but can be expensive to maintain.
What problems did you have with yours?
Old 03-27-2006, 06:11 AM
Banned

I'd race any year STOCK AWD TT 3.0 Mitsy, from a 45 mph roll....
Or, I'll just put 7 PSI of boost on me LT1', to even the 17 PSI.

"Twas the night before racing
and inside one house
the V-6 was shaking
and wetting its blouse"
Old 03-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Racer

So you're bragging about being able to beat a STOCK TT mitsu.? And you even said you might need forced induction to beat the 17psi ones!? I hope i run across you one day at a redlight.
Dont worry,mine is STOCK.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well at 17 psi i would be concerned if he couldnt beat a stock ls1. at that much extra boost he is already making up for the lack of topend he had stock vs the ls1. and ofcourse he already will own the TA in the launch department.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:03 PM
Banned

So you're bragging about being able to beat a STOCK TT mitsu.? And you even said you might need forced induction to beat the 17psi ones!? I hope i run across you one day at a redlight.
Dont worry,mine is STOCK.
Where in here....... "
Originally Posted by topendlt1
I'd race any year STOCK AWD TT 3.0 Mitsy, from a 45 mph roll....
Or, I'll just put 7 PSI of boost on me LT1', to even the 17 PSI.
" did i bragg about anything? Cmon now man, Im no bus boy.

I stated I would race under those conditions.
Did i say I would win, or talk **** about it?
Ease up man.
In stock form you will already get me out of the hole, and the topend is close.
Why would you want to race me with 17 PSI? Our cars are nearly the same for stock 1/4's.

With my few mods, I think i will take you from a 30 MPH roll, if you keep that boost to whatever it was stock. And my mods are just free mods, I havent changed my gears, internal, nothing. Just released what was already there. ( Tune and Intake, with !cat and 160 stat )

Pull up to me on the highway with that boost cranked at 17 PSI, and we'll see how much you pull me.
TT's are fast, their not THAT fast.
Anything with Two Turbos is going to be fast.
If I had 8 lbs of boost, half of what you have, I'd be takin the pictures of my rearview.

Im not messing with you when i say this, but how will that Mitsy last if you keep the PSI up that much?

Last edited by TopendLt1; 03-27-2006 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:14 PM
Racer

It will last a LONG time. Thats low boost for this engine. Capable of running 20gs that spike 26psi and hold 20psi on stock engine. Im only running stock turbos that spike 17psi and hold 15psi. And yes,the way you stated it,you came off being cocky. And of course if you had half the boost i do youd have more power v8+TT or v6+TT. No ****.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:55 PM
Banned

Actually, I was thinkin Supercharger

You have a nice car man, no doubt, I like those cars. The interiors are sweet.
I just always wanted an LT1.

Now i want a Challenger HEMI

I've always been a dodge fan and love Mopar... dont believe me? Take a look at this

86 Ramcharger 4X4 15 Bolt HD Royal SE
Holley 650 4 Barrel,Air-raid spacer, Edelbrock breather, chrome valve covers, Mopar Ignition Coil/ Wires, 360 intake, headers, Cam, Mopar Orange Engine Paint, Skidplate, Runners, TrueDual Hearthrob, glasspacks, gears,SL 9000's, 4" Suspension, 3" Body, stabilizer, 35" SuperSports, Guages, 7 Quart oil pan painted orange, scary jolly roger pirateflag 3-7 mpg 440 LB/Tq

Were just talkin racin DD's man, try not to hold it against me.

Last edited by TopendLt1; 03-27-2006 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:15 PM
Racer

Yeah and i said i dont race this car. But i drove it out there,sat around and watched other people race and then i was like dammit i gotta race somebody! lol So i called out the 99 TA,knew it would be a tough race for me. Just wanted to see how i would stack up. And the Cobalt SS,thats just my cousins ride. Really didnt wanna embarrass him but he called me out so i wasnt about to hold back!
Old 03-28-2006, 12:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TopendLt1
86 Ramcharger 4X4 15 Bolt HD Royal SE
Holley 650 4 Barrel,Air-raid spacer, Edelbrock breather, chrome valve covers, Mopar Ignition Coil/ Wires, 360 intake, headers, Cam, Mopar Orange Engine Paint, Skidplate, Runners, TrueDual Hearthrob, glasspacks, gears,SL 9000's, 4" Suspension, 3" Body, stabilizer, 35" SuperSports, Guages, 7 Quart oil pan painted orange, scary jolly roger pirateflag 3-7 mpg 440 LB/Tq
Holy crap. You could run over a car in that and not even notice untill you get out find it stuck in a fender well.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:02 AM
Staging Lane

the only problems i ran into was that i needed new brakes and a new clutch in the 2 years i had it, which is really good for a bpu vr4. if you treat the car right it won't crap out on you, but i know some guys who run the **** out of those things. very fun car and i miss it alot, especially the look you get from some guys when you blow there doors off and they are surprised because they think it is just a 6 cyl. its good to see most guys on here give respect to those cars, even though they are imports and thats awesome that you have a ta and a vr4, i wish i could have kept mine with the ta.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:24 AM
Racer

As a matter of fact mine needs brakes badly. Could use a stronger clutch too.