Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

wtf is with supra guys?!??

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 07:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stay away from stalled single Supras with nice sticky tires/ET Streets. There's a local who ran a 11.1 @ 125mph on pump gas & a soft 60' in his Supra that dynoed "only" 470rwhp at that boost setting. He sold it before turning up the wick and running some race gas. They can be scary fast. This guy's Supra just had stock wheels and didn't even have a wing. Be careful what you wish for.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2.73 Vette
My friend has a Supra and i have a vette..
when he had 720 rwhp and I had 345 rwhp I would put a buslength on him from 30-90 mph..

Its nice that your grandma owns a Supra, but seriously. Where are you at? If you want to see what would really happen, I'm sure you can be hooked up with a 720 whp Supra and see what the real outcome would be.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:31 AM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=Sparetire]
Originally Posted by LittleSneak1
3. I don't really understand how adding a body kit "allows" you to use wider tires?
QUOTE]

Technically, you need to have the fairings covering your tires to be street legal in a lot of areas. In other instances, the tires would rub big time on the stock quater panels if you go beyond a certain size witha certain off-set. Same reason the really fast guys tend to get tub kits. Makes room for more rubber in the wheel well.

And his reply was to put out some facts. I did not see him call a Supra his dream car. Considering he has an LS1 in a RX-7, I'd say he already has his dream car.
Thank you, a widebody allows someone to run bigger tires who needs them and cannot fit them under the fenderwells. I would love to have a Supra, and I could have, but I don't. A LS1 RX-7.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:33 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LittleSneak1
3. I don't really understand how adding a body kit "allows" you to use wider tires?

And for 4. and 5. The reason you responded to this was to defend your beloved dream car, the supra. Neat, a supra that runs 8's, oh and is daily driven, wow no car has ever run an 8 before, I'm not going to respond with some video of a muscle car running an 8 or a europeon car running an 8 (although I could) because that's what everyone does, so my question is, why are you bragging about this? I assume you just saw this as an opportunity to call people who drive american cars rednecks and oh hillbillys, impressive. You win, nothing.
Yeah, I just use the hillbilly thing because I live in the country, middle of nowhere, were domestic cars are the only thing that is fast. Not really but thats what everyone thinks. My dad is the same way, he has a Z28. Once I took him for a ride in my FD I changed his mind. A lot of these people just sounded kind of like my dad.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mean94t/a
Do you mean in the 1/8th, cuz hittin' 9's in the 1/4 is gonna be tough with 15,000 including car. Also, I plan on being a millionaire in a year........that doesn't mean it will happen. Don't tell us what you're gonna do. Do it and tell us what you've done!

And don't come in here stereotyping us as hillbilly's, that leaves a bad taste in the mouth of a lot of people, that's how you end up getting chased off of LS1 tech because you get flamed so much.

Should be easy I would say.

RX-7 - $1000
T-56- $1200 (built)
Forged Bottom End LS1 with H/C- $5500
Parts to put it in (wiring, mounts, fuel system, cooling system) $3000
Wheels/Tires- $1000
Slicks - $500
Nitrous Kit - $750
Misc. - $2000

What do you think?
Old 03-28-2006, 07:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GMmexican
#1 im not a hill billy im not even white, making dumbass stereotype comments like that just make you seem stupid.

#2 you act the same way except you got the ricer mentaility "put a big *** turbo and it can kill anything blah blah"

if you ever payed any attention, you would notice that import guys with fast cars do post on here and get plenty of respect so dont give me that biased ****. This post had to do with the guys cocky attitude and **** talking not the fact that we just worship GM's and think everything thats not an american v-8 is ****, so go plan on running 4 second quarters or whatever the **** it is you do.
Blah, Blah, Blah. What?
Old 03-28-2006, 07:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1SpeedAddict
Planning on and doing are two different things, I dont see it being easily done unless you plan on using half *** parts or your a good mechanic with connections.
I suck at mechanic skills, and I am using the best parts you can buy.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
Not all v12s are big ci motors. Just as not all v8s are big ci motors. But I get your point, lol.
I know, just saying.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:59 AM
Launching!

Just believe in "American Muscle" then you can beat that little Supra with no problem.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:03 AM
Launching!

Yeah but you gotta understand... I think my car isn't that fast... i'm sur as hell not going to find some m3 or run of the mill turbo civic fast. I don't think us ls1 guys have anything against imports... we are more concerned with killing cobras and vipers.... the fact of the matter there are just a whole lot more 11 second domestics than imports. It's not a bad thing... no offenses... there are a lot of great imports and always exceptions... but when I see someone in a stock supra or one with a few bolt-ons... I view it as WAY SLOW.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MagikMan
Yeah but you gotta understand... I think my car isn't that fast... i'm sur as hell not going to find some m3 or run of the mill turbo civic fast. I don't think us ls1 guys have anything against imports... we are more concerned with killing cobras and vipers.... the fact of the matter there are just a whole lot more 11 second domestics than imports. It's not a bad thing... no offenses... there are a lot of great imports and always exceptions... but when I see someone in a stock supra or one with a few bolt-ons... I view it as WAY SLOW.

I view that as slow too. Anything not under 12's is slow to me.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:10 AM
Teching In

One of my buddies has a drag supra that is still very streetable around town and it ran a 10.9 in the 1/4 but it takes a little under a 1/8m to get into the boost. His car is putting down 650hp single turbo through a chevy th400 tranny
Old 03-28-2006, 12:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LSINA7
Its nice that your grandma owns a Supra, but seriously. Where are you at? If you want to see what would really happen, I'm sure you can be hooked up with a 720 whp Supra and see what the real outcome would be.
He is in Hawaii. My friend with the 720 rwhp Supra is not a drag racer and was on street tires. No way are you gonna run any decent times with a Supra at 720 rwhp at our track with street tires. Have to have the right tires to put the power down. I know because I am the Supra that ran the 10.9 and recently ran a 10.8. My car has a BODY KIT and is daily driven. Supras can and do run fast at the track. But you have to do the necessary things to make them quick.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2.73 Vette
My friend has a Supra and i have a vette..
when he had 720 rwhp and I had 345 rwhp I would put a buslength on him from 30-90 mph..

then around 90 mph his car would pass mine like I was standing still..

at the track I ran a 13.1 with 345 rwhp and he ran a 13.5 with his 720 rwhp...

To me thats a dyno queen..720 rwhp is AWESOME..But what good dose it do in a race if you dont have over 200 rwhp till 4500 rpm's...?????

I have seen his dyno and it's exactly like that...

Now on the other hand there was another guy at our track with a supra that only had 600 rwhp that ran 10.9...

So these supras can be fast with the right set up..Just too many of them go for the biggest RWHP for there dyno without taking into consideration all the other important factors to make the car fast..ESPECIALLY the huge LAG that the supra is famous for..

It's a bad a** car..I dont really care for the looks my self but as far as imports go it's pretty nice looking..

The reason there are so many jokes about it is simple..

-An LS1 will run low 13's with only 300 rwhp
-with 350 rwhp the average LS1 will run mid 12's
-with 400 rwhp the average LS1 will run high 11's
-with 500 rwhp the average LS1 will run low 11's/high 10's

Now do the same thing with the supra but start at 450 rwhp

-with 450 rwhp the average supra will have a hard time hitting mid 12's ( not saying that some dont do this or better) but there are a lot more 450-550 rwhp Supras running 12's then 10's and 11's...

With our LS1 and 450 rwhp your pretty much guaranteed 11's....

Thats the differance that I see...

If someone tells me there vette or fbody has 450 rwhp ( compared to my little 370 rwhp) I know that from a roll or dead stop there gonna be in front of me the hole race and keep pulling...

Someone tells me they have a 450 rwhp supra ( vrs my little 370 rwhp) I think to my self ( dang if we go from a dead stop and I let off around 120 mph Ill probaly take them..

In my mind atleaste..Theres a huge differance between a 450 rwhp LS1 and a 450 rwhp Supra from a stop.

I dont have a problem going from a stop. Not even when I had my 6 spd. Its all in the driver. An auto supra with a good tranny/stall is deadly from a stop. I leave the line at 8 psi. I am at full boost halfway through 1st gear. The 6 spds are harder to launch, takes practice.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:51 PM
Teching In

The whole dyno queen thing is great and funny and all - but in reality it isn't true.

There is a dude around here with a Supra - with simply a turbo kit and a fuel system with a fat stall on his stock auto trans... he tears **** up crazy.

Not much more than 600whp - and it would do 12's in reverse.

It is just about how the parts work with eachother. If you take a simply BPU Supra and slap a T-88 on it, no it won't go anywhere. Just like any car... no?

If he really has 1,000hp... And he's on a good tire and can drive.... That is going to be one VERY fast car. Don't look at it through the stereotype of 'dyno queens'.. That will bite everyone in the ***.

If one is comfortable racing a 1,000whp Supra, they better be just as comfortable to race the likes of INTIMID8 and other cars nearing 1,000whp.

Run him on video and get back to us!

Last edited by IlEagle; 03-28-2006 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:01 PM
Teching In

And to justify the arguement that Supra's are dyno queens because you saw a 720whp one do a 13.5 WITH ALL SEASON's is rediculous.

If I put any RWD/FWD car with 500+whp on a Kumho or Blizzak or whatever... they are going to run 12's and 13's. That doesn't back up the dyno queen arguement at all.

Watch what a 408 LS1 with a PT76GTS does on a street tire. Nothing. You can't hold that against a Supra.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LSINA7
Then he would have been just like 600 other hillbillys out there. And his car is Single Turbo, not twin. I just wish some of you domestic only guys would learn something about other cars.

Oh, and using what you just said, if he would have put his time and money into a V-12 twin turbo, he would have went even faster. Because we all know there is no replacement for displacement.

Oh, and you guys would say I am a "ricer", since I own a Mazda RX-7. I plan on going 9's with less than 15K into my car, including the car, street driven, full weight.
Hmm lets see Duy goes 9.8 full weight,street car, spent 11k on the car...goes 9.9 all day. And once again..PEOPLE DONT BUILD SUPRAS FOR DRAG CARS!! Thats why u usually never see them at the track. They build them for the highway and they are very impressive on the highway, how many ls1 cars that are street legal that u know of can take modded to turbo hayabusas??? Im not saying anything bad about the ls1, just saying that a smart person wouldnt build a supra for the drag unless they are willing to spend money...Supras are my favorite car and hope to own one someday i dont need a 1000 hp though 800 is fine for street
Old 03-28-2006, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by turbo_passat
And once again..PEOPLE DONT BUILD SUPRAS FOR DRAG CARS!! Thats why u usually never see them at the track.

You'd be very suprised.... that is not true anymore. It just takes the right kind of pocketbook to play in the Supra world.

Refer to Titan Motorsports in Dallas and Sound Performance in Chicago. That is only 2 shops - there's plenty more.

Both have single digit shop cars, and have a complete arsenal of customer street/strip cars cars that will do single digits all day long.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

fast supras roll race from 120-130 up. Now the question to me is, single turbo and lsx and how much usable hp and tq do you have, especially from the dig?
Old 03-28-2006, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Vette4LIFE
fast supras roll race from 120-130 up. Now the question to me is, single turbo and lsx and how much usable hp and tq do you have, especially from the dig?
I have more than enough. I dont ever roll race from those speeds and I dont have a problem from a dig, not at all. A single turbo lsx will have the same traction problems at high hp.

Quick Reply: wtf is with supra guys?!??