Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Killed an S4 last night

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Killed an S4 last night

Was on my way up to Maine to see a hockey game last night and I was running late. I was doing about 80 mph in the middle lane, minding my own business, trying to avoid the cops, when an Audi S4 comes screaming by me in the right lane followed by some white sedan, only to slam on their brakes when they reached the cars ahead. I thought nothing of it, really. Just another dumbass high schooler driving like a moron.

I continue to just drive along and as I pass the white car, he looks at me and flashes his high beams at the S4 to get his attention. As I pass the S4, he looks at me and gives me this stupid face and a thumbs down. I laugh and shake my head and motion to ask if he wanted to run. He was in.

We slowed down to about 50-60 or so and he counted down from 3. I allowed him to get the jump and just floored it. Boost kicked in and I was GONE. Didn't even make it all the way through 4th gear before I shut it down. I tried to slow to get back next to him to see his reaction (since his girl was in the car), but he got off the next exit.

Anyway, it was a nice result to the first race I had since the car has been in good running condition. On to phase 2!

(I even had my video camera with me, but nobody to hold it and capture the video. Damn I wish someon had been there.)
Old 04-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Teching In

good kill, how fast are those things anyway? I could never get one of those audi drivers to race me.
I just noticed your running a t76, that's a good sized turbo, what kinda times are u getting?
Old 04-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Teching In

I raced one of the tt s4's I don't know if he was modded or anything but I am stock and I pulled from when I got on it in 3rd gear all the way to 130. He was in the middle lane I was on the right and my friend in his lt1 firebird was on the left and I looked over and saw him even with me (pulling the s4 also), and laughed. The v8 s4 is much faster.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:00 PM
Teching In

DAMN, those audis get me all confused, they have like three different motors for all their faster cars don't they? I know they have 3 setups for the TT, but I don't really know anything about the s4 or a4.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't tell you guys which S4 it was or whether it was modded or not, it was dusk and my car is too loud for me to hear anything else. I was mostly pleased with crushing that kid because he was so arrogant and looked like a TOTAL tool.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

theres an RS4 around here that im trying to hunt down, ive seen it twice now, neither times in my camaro =(
good kill any times yet with the boost?
Old 04-09-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
theres an RS4 around here that im trying to hunt down, ive seen it twice now, neither times in my camaro =(
good kill any times yet with the boost?
no, no times yet. I am hoping to get to New England Dragway sometime soon before the stainless, flanges, and other assorted goodies get here by the end of next week.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

very cool S4s are neat cars!

good run and write up
Old 04-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

good kill

no suc thing as a tt s4, s series is like bmw's m series so like the m3 is the sporty 3 series the s4 is the sporty a4
Old 04-09-2006, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99banditZ28
good kill

no suc thing as a tt s4, s series is like bmw's m series so like the m3 is the sporty 3 series the s4 is the sporty a4
Thanks for clearing that up a lil bit, but i was talking about TT (the car), not twin turbo.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:03 PM
Teching In

good kill

??

Sure there is, the tt in this case meaning twin turbo, not Tourist Trophy (Audi TT). The B5 S4 (2000-2002) had a 2.7L twin turbocharged V6 making 250 hp. Stock they're mid to low 14 second cars in the 1/4, depending upon driver and transmission. They like to smoke their stock turbos, and replacing them is pretty labor intensive, so when they go, a lot of guys upgrade the turbos to the RS4 spec K04s that with accompanying mods nets the S4 a pretty bulletproof ~450hp (on pump gas, 500+ on race)--good enough for 11sec slips. For the serious modder, the B5 S4 represents a much more intelligent choice than the later V8 and V10 cars, although stock for stock the V8 S4 will be faster.

Since the original poster isn't sure what vintage S4 it was, it could easily have been an ur-S4 (pre-97, single turbo, I5), or even an A4 with S4 badging (It's fairly common with the young punks).
Old 04-09-2006, 05:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by EightBallTTA
no, no times yet. I am hoping to get to New England Dragway sometime soon before the stainless, flanges, and other assorted goodies get here by the end of next week.
Get some vids if u can, I wanna see what a single-turbo ls1 can do
Old 04-09-2006, 05:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 3liter6
??

Sure there is, the tt in this case meaning twin turbo, not Tourist Trophy (Audi TT). The B5 S4 (2000-2002) had a 2.7L twin turbocharged V6 making 250 hp. Stock they're mid to low 14 second cars in the 1/4, depending upon driver and transmission. They like to smoke their stock turbos, and replacing them is pretty labor intensive, so when they go, a lot of guys upgrade the turbos to the RS4 spec K04s that with accompanying mods nets the S4 a pretty bulletproof ~450hp (on pump gas, 500+ on race)--good enough for 11sec slips. For the serious modder, the B5 S4 represents a much more intelligent choice than the later V8 and V10 cars, although stock for stock the V8 S4 will be faster.

Since the original poster isn't sure what vintage S4 it was, it could easily have been an ur-S4 (pre-97, single turbo, I5), or even an A4 with S4 badging (It's fairly common with the young punks).

My bad i was talking about the audi tt.....not twin turbo. I am fully aware that teh b5 s4 is bi-turbo(i dont know why audi wont just call it twin turbo) and yes i am also aware of the common k04s turbo upgrade, my buddy used to have one and i used to have a 1.8t gti so i am pretty familiar with the audi/vw scene. But thanky ou for clearifying.......and i also would rather have a b5 s4 than the new v8's
Old 04-09-2006, 06:52 PM
Teching In

My bad i was talking about the audi tt.....not twin turbo. I am fully aware that teh b5 s4 is bi-turbo(i dont know why audi wont just call it twin turbo)
Well, although car enthusiasts use the terms interchangeably, technically the S4 is a biturbo, not twin turbo setup. Twin turbo means that there are two turbos fitted sequentially, ala the Supra and RX7 TT, while biturbo means that there are two turbos each serving a seperate bank of cylinders.

Last edited by 3liter6; 04-09-2006 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 3liter6
Well, although car enthusiasts use the terms interchangeably, technically the S4 is a bi-turbo, not twin turbo setup. Twin turbo means that there are two turbos fitted sequentially, ala the Supra and RX7 TT, while biturbo means that there are two turbos each serving a seperate bank of cylinders.
well thanky ou for the lesson
Old 04-09-2006, 11:35 PM
Launching!

Actually its a really a question of arbitrary semantics and basicly BS.....

But yeah, unless pretty heavily modded, your not going to have to worry about them much.

The old body style is a 2.7L twin turbo setup(250HP), the new one that loks a lot like the A6 is a 4.2L V8 (340HP).

I hear rumors of the next one being a 4.2L 420hp car with AWD. Now thats interesting!

The meanest Audi TTs are the 225HP 1.8T ones IMHO, and they are hardly terrors. Lots of midrange punch though....