Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

legal advice: revisited

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 12:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LSINA7
Well you can get tickets in parking lots here too, just not for an accident since there is no way to prove who is at fault. After they found her she tried to blame it on me, even though by the way I was hit there was no way it was my fault. She was crying and they say they couldn't do anything about it, but here insurance would have to pay.
Hhhmmm, that sucks. I woulda written her a nice criminal cite for leaving the of an accident.....
Old 04-15-2006, 09:16 PM
Launching!

depends on who owns the parking lot... I know that if it's owned by best buy for instance, a cop can't give you a ticket on there... for instance, where I live, it's a condo, we have a parking lot, and it's right on the main roads and what not, but cops aren't allowed to ticket anyone unless it's a public owned road.... when you guys hear "public" it doesn't mean that anyone can go on it, it has to do with who owns it....
Old 04-15-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

seems as though we have varying ideas about this. Guess I will have to ask a local lawyer.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MagikMan
depends on who owns the parking lot... I know that if it's owned by best buy for instance, a cop can't give you a ticket on there... for instance, where I live, it's a condo, we have a parking lot, and it's right on the main roads and what not, but cops aren't allowed to ticket anyone unless it's a public owned road.... when you guys hear "public" it doesn't mean that anyone can go on it, it has to do with who owns it....
even though in your example best buy "owns" the lot, the cars parked on it are not exempt to any traffic laws, I can assure you of that. If you have a parking lot for a condo association it can be diffferent. The owners have to give permission to let us include the lot as part of the patrol, which they usually do. Also if i witness someone doing something stupid in a car while parked in a "private" parking lot, I can do something about it.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rubber duck
even though in your example best buy "owns" the lot, the cars parked on it are not exempt to any traffic laws, I can assure you of that. If you have a parking lot for a condo association it can be diffferent. The owners have to give permission to let us include the lot as part of the patrol, which they usually do. Also if i witness someone doing something stupid in a car while parked in a "private" parking lot, I can do something about it.
I assume your an officer?
Old 04-16-2006, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

not a traffic guy, but i've spent some time there.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:23 PM
Teching In

I think the difference is that you may be able to get tickets, just not standard traffic tickets in a parking lot. Street racing is a criminal offense, whereas running a stop sign in a parking lot is a traffic offense and at least here in AZ the laws are loosely defined around this type of criteria.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:22 PM
12 Second Club

^^ I 2nd that.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:57 AM
Teching In

Very similar here in GA. The owner of the lot has to request and give permission for patrol of thier lot. Once that is done you can be cited for violations.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by s_harrison_jr
Very similar here in GA. The owner of the lot has to request and give permission for patrol of thier lot. Once that is done you can be cited for violations.
Thank you, I was hoping for someone to say how it is in GA, thats where im living.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

my guess is they can and my reason thinking that is first-the cop that already posted and secondly-people wouldnt be able to be ticketed for parking in handicap spots if the cops couldnt do anything in parkinglots.....maybe im wrong but it seems correct to me
Old 04-17-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Resident

Miracles happen once in awhile. Take it when you get it. It's rare. Make sure you learn from it.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by brad8266
Lucky you. Im gonna hijack it now. My boss tells me that cops cant give a ticket in a parking lot because it isnt a public roadway. Is this true??
they cant if its a closed parking lot other than that they can pretty much do what they want unless its actually your parking lot then you can give them the boot and go back to
i told you ya didnt need a lawyer man, im always telling people to fight their tickets but they never believe me how easy it is to get them dropped or at the very least reduced
Old 04-17-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
they cant if its a closed parking lot other than that they can pretty much do what they want unless its actually your parking lot then you can give them the boot and go back to
i told you ya didnt need a lawyer man, im always telling people to fight their tickets but they never believe me how easy it is to get them dropped or at the very least reduced
Well I havent gotten a ticket like this but the disscussion came up at work one day.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got a ticket in the parking lot of a hotel because "there were kids around so i shouldnt of even been going the speed limit" so i got a reckless driving ticket, my only ticket i might add, i think i got it because i was 16 years old in a 02 camaro ss!!!
Old 04-18-2006, 06:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2002/Black/SS
i got a ticket in the parking lot of a hotel because "there were kids around so i shouldnt of even been going the speed limit" so i got a reckless driving ticket, my only ticket i might add, i think i got it because i was 16 years old in a 02 camaro ss!!!
That is 100% B.S. I would have been at court for that one.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

I dont know the law elsewhere but last year I got put in cuffs for turning while at the college and powershifting and sliding when I hit second. When I say sliding, I slid across 4 lanes. haha. Never saw the cop. Pulled up at my apt. two blocks away and went to go in and he slid up to the door and told me to step back to the car. When I asked him what for, he just looked at me and with the dumbest look ever. We both knew what for! Newayz, after those cold sharpass cuffs were on and I told him to get my DL and insurance off my sunvisor, I began trying to convince him it had been a necessary evil to avoid being hit by a 3/4 Chevy. I proceeded to give a full description of a truck that had just passed when I pulled out. Didnt work. He said he didnt care what the case was, he had no other ticket options. Then I pulled the final card. My driving record was super clean. Never had a ticket before. Ever. I told him once again about the how I did it to avoid being hit. He said it was street racing and I just agreed it was wreckless but not racing. In the end he let me loose after the most thorough *** chewing of my life and said he was gonna hang my *** if it ever happened again.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brady346
I dont know the law elsewhere but last year I got put in cuffs for turning while at the college and powershifting and sliding when I hit second. When I say sliding, I slid across 4 lanes. haha. Never saw the cop. Pulled up at my apt. two blocks away and went to go in and he slid up to the door and told me to step back to the car. When I asked him what for, he just looked at me and with the dumbest look ever. We both knew what for! Newayz, after those cold sharpass cuffs were on and I told him to get my DL and insurance off my sunvisor, I began trying to convince him it had been a necessary evil to avoid being hit by a 3/4 Chevy. I proceeded to give a full description of a truck that had just passed when I pulled out. Didnt work. He said he didnt care what the case was, he had no other ticket options. Then I pulled the final card. My driving record was super clean. Never had a ticket before. Ever. I told him once again about the how I did it to avoid being hit. He said it was street racing and I just agreed it was wreckless but not racing. In the end he let me loose after the most thorough *** chewing of my life and said he was gonna hang my *** if it ever happened again.
haha im suprised he let you off after a bs story about a truck. I dont understand how cops classify everything as street racing.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hawk108
haha im suprised he let you off after a bs story about a truck. I dont understand how cops classify everything as street racing.
its because there is not a law that says no spinning of tires or no burning of rubber. so it is the closest they can get under the exhibition of acceleration clause in the law
Old 04-18-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Hawk108
Like ^^^ said. That happened in like January and he told me a law had been passed in September that left him no option but jail. I was 18 at the time and about to **** my pants. How do would you explain that to a set of parents who are paying for everything. I woulda been at home in a Camry if that deal would have followed through.