Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

legal advice: revisited

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default legal advice: revisited

i posted a thread a while back asking for advice for a ticket i got for doing a burnout in a parking lot. the cop gave me a street racing ticket. thought i would post and let you know what happened. i couldn't afford a lawyer so i had to go solo. i was the last person out of 122. when i got up there the judge looked at the ticket and rolled her eyes. she dissmissed it before i knew what was going on. i didn't even have to pay court cost. i had a hard time getting out of the court room with a straight face.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

That is funny.....But I bet more than anything she was tired, and after dealing with 122 other people, your ticket wasnt even worth her time....I have had that happen one time myself....
Old 04-12-2006, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

you lucky bastard....thats awesome
Old 04-12-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lucky you. Im gonna hijack it now. My boss tells me that cops cant give a ticket in a parking lot because it isnt a public roadway. Is this true??
Old 04-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by brad8266
Lucky you. Im gonna hijack it now. My boss tells me that cops cant give a ticket in a parking lot because it isnt a public roadway. Is this true??
They are not suppose to beable to i thought, but i have seen them give tickets before in parking lots and the person had to pay it. I'd kinda like to know myself for sure. Their cops they can do whatever they want
Old 04-12-2006, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 89tang
They are not suppose to beable to i thought, but i have seen them give tickets before in parking lots and the person had to pay it. I'd kinda like to know myself for sure. Their cops they can do whatever they want
pretty much the case. he was cusing at me and drove off without giving me my licence back. i had to get a new one.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

That sounds illegal on his part...
Old 04-12-2006, 10:50 PM
12 Second Club

If it's a private parking lot that has public access and is intended for public use then yes, they can right it. If you have a parking lot in the backyard of your house, that is yours and nobody elses to use, then no...
Old 04-12-2006, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Really - take him to court for identity theft

My brother was doing donuts in his 197x Monte Carlo back in 197x (I was like 5 years old at the time). He was alone in the parking lot and it was the middle of the night and the roads were completely iced over so there was almost no one out on the roads.

There were two cops, they gave him a ticket for exhibition of acceleration I think (too long ago). He went to the judge, like you and the judge said, "don't do it again and told him to get out"..
Old 04-13-2006, 06:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Payne01SS
If it's a private parking lot that has public access and is intended for public use then yes, they can right it. If you have a parking lot in the backyard of your house, that is yours and nobody elses to use, then no...
Thats what I thought but my boss swears up and down that as long as it isnt the public government paved road then they have no right to give you a ticket. I keep telling him he is wrong but he thinks he knows everything anyway.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:25 AM
Teching In

they can write you a ticket even if you are on your property either for unlawful exhibition of acceleration, or disturbing the peace. it is up to the court to decide if they will charge you but you can get the ticket anywhere
Old 04-13-2006, 07:28 PM
Teching In

your boss is a fucktard. the law still applies in parking lots.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by slocar mopar
your boss is a fucktard. the law still applies in parking lots.
fucktard

I have learned so many different funny names since being a member here.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here is a better example of what he said: if you were to rearend someone with your car in the supermarket parking lot you can not be ticketed by police because it did not occur on a public government roadway.

Sounds pretty stupid to me, you cant tell him otherwise though, he knows everything, lol.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

Here is a better example of what he said: if you were to rearend someone with your car in the supermarket parking lot you can not be ticketed by police because it did not occur on a public government roadway.

Sounds pretty stupid to me, you cant tell him otherwise though, he knows everything, lol.

That is true. I was hit in Bojangles parking lot and the bitch ran. She still didn't get ****...
Old 04-13-2006, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

I know they can write you a reckless ticket in parking lot's one of my friends got one.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:08 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSINA7
That is true. I was hit in Bojangles parking lot and the bitch ran. She still didn't get ****...
I imagine the laws differ in the different states. I'm talking about Florida. You can get a ticket in a parking lot. For accidents in parking lots it's sometimes hard to prove fault, since parking lots don't always have much in the way of traffic control.

Did they ever find the runaway bitch?
Old 04-14-2006, 12:50 AM
On The Tree

you can get a ticket on any roadway, public or private. Tell your boss to do a nice toasty burnout in a mall parking lot and sit and wait till the cops come. Your boss is badly misinformed, and I'm fully aware of any legislation when it comes to tickets.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Payne01SS
I imagine the laws differ in the different states. I'm talking about Florida. You can get a ticket in a parking lot. For accidents in parking lots it's sometimes hard to prove fault, since parking lots don't always have much in the way of traffic control.

Did they ever find the runaway bitch?

Well you can get tickets in parking lots here too, just not for an accident since there is no way to prove who is at fault. After they found her she tried to blame it on me, even though by the way I was hit there was no way it was my fault. She was crying and they say they couldn't do anything about it, but here insurance would have to pay.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:03 AM
Staging Lane

yeah saying that they can't ticket in a parking lot because its a private area is like saying you can't get busted for smoking up in your house becauswe its a private place, it just doesn't make sense