Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

raced another 24 psi eclipse

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slick1851
Guys it doesnt matter if hes running 10000-09098-899797 PSI

PSI has nothing to do with making power got it? Its the size of the turbo that will make the power. I run 26Psi does that mean I have a race car, or my motor is going to blow? No it doesnt, it means my turbo isnt that huge so 26psi isnt going to hurt anything.
so you are saying there is no difference in 10psi compared to 24 psi? i am not disputing the fact that 24psi on a smaller turbo is going to make less that 24psi on a larger turbo but i still think PSI does have something to do with making power. if you take a large turbo and run 10psi and take that same turbo and run 24psi wont you make more power running 24 psi?? please explain
Old 05-30-2006, 10:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99ccz28
so you are saying there is no difference in 10psi compared to 24 psi? i am not disputing the fact that 24psi on a smaller turbo is going to make less that 24psi on a larger turbo but i still think PSI does have something to do with making power. if you take a large turbo and run 10psi and take that same turbo and run 24psi wont you make more power running 24 psi?? please explain
Its all about the airflow, not how much its pressured.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Basic turbo 101...boost is relevant when talking the same turbo.Airflow is the real way to tell how much power the turbo is making. It can be measured with various tuning software.
So stock turbo..t25 in a 95 to 99 2nd gen..it would be useless at 24psi..pushing only hot air.14b might get 24 on race but even they dont' like this high a boost much.
evo 16..24 would be very doable on this super popular turbo. Easy bolt on can do about 400 engine hp with proper supporting mods.Next up the turbos like 50 trims..Can do more like 500 engine hp but usually on race gas. A around 400 or so on pump is possible engine hp with pump gas on a 50 trim..Then the big stuff.stuff like my FP3065 turbo on my 97.Capable of 650 or so engine hp. This would require race gas. 500engine hp is possible on pump with a similar turbo to mine pretty easily with supporting mods.

Support mods are critical to run bigger turbos at higher boost levels.They are things like better fuel pump,bigger injectors,adjustable fuel pressure regulator,and tuning of some kind..maf translator, laptop tuning,clutch upgrade,exhaust upgrades.
Forged engine parts are nice but not required even up to 500 engine hp.The mits motors are very tough and can take pretty huge power levels even stock.
So likely this guy had an evo 16 at 24psi.. that should give a 99 ls1 with mods described a decent run.And he should have killed the ls1 off the line unless the ls1 is on drag tires like nitttos or et street radials or something. Unless it was gst..gst is front wheel drive..gsx is all wheel drive.Huge difference in 60fts..assuming a good clutch..factory clutches is a weak link in these cars.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Domestic Demon
Way to stereotype LS1 owners. I doubt many people on here could give less of a **** about POS GSX Eclipses, so I don't see what your point is.
Not a stereotype at all... Where in my post do I attribute anything to LS1 owners? I said AVERAGE LS1 owner... Hint: particular group not all (I'll admit an instance of overstatement), and as YOU ******* SAID YOURSELF RIGHT HERE:

I doubt many people on here could give less of a **** about POS GSX Eclipses

YOU AGREE THE AVERAGE LS1 OWNER doesn't know, by virtue of not caring to know, these things about POS Eclipses!!! Are you legally insane! You stage a counterpoint to play a pompous effort to refute my statement, and then you finish the dish by distastefully agreeing with me, probably unbeknownst to yourself and at unawares quite UNBELIEVABLY!!! You are too funny! Please respond to this. This is fun!!!

EDIT: With your permission, I will proudlty tote along with me for my travels here your ageless, domestic wisdom in my sig. If you object, please let me know and I will remove it.

Last edited by bboyferal; 05-31-2006 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:33 AM
TECH Resident

I dont even think 24psi is possible on the stock T-25. With the stock wastegate actuator it would taper to 10 psi past 5200 rpms anyway regardless of pre-set boost levels. With an upgraded actuator it might hold 16 at redline but even than it is beyond the turbo's volumetric efficiency range. I was never dumb enough to try it. 24psi on my T3/T4 60 trim well that was a different story. No cammed LS1 stood a chance roll, stop whatever. Thats if I could keep it running for more than 11 seconds at a time.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Not a stereotype at all... Where in my post do I attribute anything to LS1 owners? I said AVERAGE LS1 owner... Hint: particular group not all (I'll admit an instance of overstatement), and as YOU ******* SAID YOURSELF RIGHT HERE:

YOU AGREE THE AVERAGE LS1 OWNER doesn't know, by virtue of not caring to know, these things about POS Eclipses!!! Are you legally insane! You stage a counterpoint to play a pompous effort to refute my statement, and then you finish the dish by distastefully agreeing with me, probably unbeknownst to yourself and at unawares quite UNBELIEVABLY!!! You are too funny! Please respond to this. This is fun!!!

EDIT: With your permission, I will proudlty tote along with me for my travels here your ageless, domestic wisdom in my sig. If you object, please let me know and I will remove it.

That was so funny. He tried to argue then owned himself.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LSINA7
That was so funny. He tried to argue then owned himself.
Yeah, but what's funnier is that I bet he does not understand how AT ALL and will not admit it. ****, I misinterpret posts here DAILY and I am constantly corrected... No shame in it... But this takes it to a whole new level!
Old 05-31-2006, 11:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do your own research im not going to teach people somthing so simple to understand.Not to sound like a ***, but there is alot of info and your a dinosour if you dont knwo about turbo stuff yet.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:52 AM
Banned

Do your own research im not going to teach people somthing so simple to understand.Not to sound like a ***, but there is alot of info and your a dinosour if you dont knwo about turbo stuff yet.
Its not like turbos are an import only thing and havent been around for a long time.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

but you said "psi has nothing to do with making power" im no turbo genius, plus i have bad grammar, but it seems to me that psi and good airflow is the whole reason for making power. the more psi the more air you have to flow...more air flowing better = more power right?
Old 05-31-2006, 02:19 PM
Banned

but you said "psi has nothing to do with making power" im no turbo genius, plus i have bad grammar, but it seems to me that psi and good airflow is the whole reason for making power. the more psi the more air you have to flow...more air flowing better = more power right?
More air = more power, yes - but more psi isnt always the case. You want to run as much psi as your system can handle efficiently. Have you ever seen a compressor map? There's an island of efficiency that basically dictates how much boost you can run with a given compressor map.

The trick is to pick the right turbine for your compressor, and the right supporting mods. The whole turbo game (regardless of domestic or import) is a careful balancing act. Thats why you have so many idiots out there with 10k into their cars and a turbo and wonder why they only run 13s, and they have the parts list for a 10 second car.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

PSI does make power but not like you think. If PSI was the only factor then there would only be one turbo size and we would just crank up the boost to make more power. That is not true.

I will use fake and goofy number for an example.

A T25, very small turbo, will make about 220-250 WHP on a DSM at 15 psi or so. So at 15 psi it it flowing, insert fake number here, 100 candy bars.

Now a GT35R, a fairly large turbo, can make 350 WHP at 15 psi on a DSM or so. So at 15 psi it is flowing, insert fake number here, 175 candy bars.

Now the T25 is small enough that above 15 psi it just doesn't work anymore. So if you crank it up to say 20 psi it may only flow an extra 15 candy bars, but they will be hot as hell and the power will actually drop due to detonation because it just can't keep up.

The GT35R is just waking up at 20 psi so it will start to flow maybe an extra 50 to 75 candy bars and will make an extra 100 hp or so. Crank it up to 30-35 psi and now that thign is making 600 AWHP and is a beast.

So you can see that flow is what makes power and larger turbo's flow more air given the same psi so they make more power. They can also generaly make more boost again making more power because of the flow and effciency at that psi.

Now again there is a lot more to this that my lame, goofy, explanation but I hope that makes a bit more sense.

PS. The candy bar I ate while typing this was very good.

Last edited by boostedinaz; 05-31-2006 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Not a stereotype at all... Where in my post do I attribute anything to LS1 owners? I said AVERAGE LS1 owner... Hint: particular group not all (I'll admit an instance of overstatement), and as YOU ******* SAID YOURSELF RIGHT HERE
It definitely was a stereotype. You assumed that "average" LS1 owners don't know anything about Eclipses. The truth of the matter is many do, its not that hard to understand how throwing a massive turbo on a tiny engine in a light car can be fast.

However, I said most people "don't give a ****" because frankly, we really don't. Thats all well and good that there are fast DSM's, and its great for those people that they can mod their cars like that, but even if an LS1 owner gets beaten by a GSX he's not going to say to himself "better trade in my Firebird for one a dem Jap ricerocket eclipse GSX's". Everyone has different tastes, but personally I don't see the point in making a shitty car fast. Much the same reason fast CRX's and Civic's are pointless. Sure, they can beat V8's with the right mods, but at the end of the day they are still ugly, riced out piece of **** econocars.

Now I don't know if you have the reading comprehension skills to understand that, but the bottom line is one can technically "not care" about something while still having knowledge of its possible potential and what it may or may not be capable of.

Permission not given. Take it out of your sig, and get a life
Old 05-31-2006, 07:06 PM
Banned

ooOOOOoooo.... Or you'll what, sue him? Get over yourself.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by XakEp
ooOOOOoooo.... Or you'll what, sue him? Get over yourself.
He just doesn't want to look like an idiot everytime someone reads the guys sig.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i agree with demon completely...just because you dont like them doesnt mean you dont know them...just because someone owns an ls1 doesnt make them an idiot to the import world
Old 05-31-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

LS1 beat Godzilla.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Doesn't mean you're an idiot not to know about a car... There are ALOT of cars I don't know much about... AH, here's the rub: Once I say, I don't care about POS *insert car* now you're not acting maturely... I know I would be pissed if I heard some ricer say, "I don't know about LS1 because they're pieces of ****..." or something similar... THIS IS WARRANTING the label... And whay I said is still true... The average LS1 owner DOESN'T know much about DSM's... IT'S a FACT! ACCEPT IT. Then, there are even the few who are one step above not knowing about them, and have to go as far a bash them, something YOU, 99ccZ28, have not done... You're not an idiot to me IN ANY WAY! Please, read carefully...

Oh, and D. Demon: concerning this:

PM sent...
Old 05-31-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

However, I said most people "don't give a ****" because frankly, we really don't. Thats all well and good that there are fast DSM's, and its great for those people that they can mod their cars like that, but even if an LS1 owner gets beaten by a GSX he's not going to say to himself "better trade in my Firebird for one a dem Jap ricerocket eclipse GSX's".
Just so you know DSM's are not japanese by any means. They were a joint venture between Mitsubishi and Chrysler. Hence the reason there was an Eagle Talon and Plymouth Laser on the same platform. They were built and manufactured in Normal, Illinois.

Last edited by big reg; 05-31-2006 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Junkie

I feel like AN IDIOT for forgetting that.

Very good post... Makes the whole "knowledge about imports" point totally moot.