Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

raced another 24 psi eclipse

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 09:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about i settle this thread right now. I started my car intrests with the eclipse family, i owned 5 2nd gen's. 1 GSX 2 GST spyders, 1 GST Coupe. From a stop these cars suck (except the GSX) from a stop. From a roll they fly... My coupe was making almost 400hp to the wheel, from a 40mph roll my wife walked a C5 vette, about 11 cars up to 135. That was on a 16g turbo and a built head, as well as other stuff. My wife covt. is bright pink and is making about 500hp to the wheels. She just has a big turbo, and the parts to support it. She has never lost a race from a roll or stop. Then the GSX is the monster. This car is making 597.5 hp to all four wheels. Because of this the car can launch and get traction. This cars' best time is 10.3 in the 1/4 mile. Eclipses can be made fast for cheap, but most people either dont get the right parts or they just dont know how to drive. But all these lead up to my TA. This car is making 445.9 to the wheels and it will beat most DSM's off the line but from a roll it would be close. Anyway, turbos are a pain in the *** and the eaisest way to think about them is this... If a little turbo pushes say 24lbs of boost, a much bigger turbo can push about half the boost and make the same power. Think about the volume of air that is traveling into the engine... the more the better.

I know this was kind of a long post but i hate to see people battling over **** that they have not expierenced.

I love DSM's but i would never give up my TA
Old 06-01-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i talked to the kid today and he said he has a big 16g thats been ported. thats what he told me.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XakEp
Its not like turbos are an import only thing and havent been around for a long time.

No **** really? Did you not read my sig?

I own a Transam and DSM, im not going to sit here and explain to people a simple compect of how a turbo works. Look on line and research it, im not going to sit and fight on a forum about what PSI does and explain things, you want to know look it up.

Im sick of turbo ingnorance, most people dont own turbo cars and and think know alot about them.

Turbo LS1 guys are giving you info everyday but people fail to read threads etc with alot of info in them.

And DSMs are not imports, and never were or will be the onlything import on them is the motor thats all.

Research your not getting info spoon fed from me im sorry to sound like a

24PSI on a 16G isnt crazy its nothing for our stock motors im running 26PSI on a ported EVO3 16G using 110 octane.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99ccz28
i agree with demon completely...just because you dont like them doesnt mean you dont know them...just because someone owns an ls1 doesnt make them an idiot to the import world
I'm glad someone understands. Theres a big difference between "not giving a ****" and "not knowing ****", obviously bboyferal can't comprehend that.

Originally Posted by XakEp
ooOOOOoooo.... Or you'll what, sue him? Get over yourself.
You, my friend, are a zero. Just like your post count
Old 06-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99ccz28
i talked to the kid today and he said he has a big 16g thats been ported. thats what he told me.
I don't know about DSM's but most WRX's (2.0L) put down around 300awhp to 320awhp with a Big16g. Porting isn't going to make any more peek hp but will increase the spooling and giving you more rpm to work with. I'm guess he would be spooling that around 3400rpm since the DSM less piping then the Subaru.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Im a bigger fan of Fbodys, my car ive wanted since I was little was a transam. I like playing with both. One day the Transam will be a turbo car, but we all know its not cheap at all to turbo a Fbody the ight way...
Old 06-01-2006, 01:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Domestic Demon
I'm glad someone understands. Theres a big difference between "not giving a ****" and "not knowing ****", obviously bboyferal can't comprehend that.

You, my friend, are a zero. Just like your post count
YES, and you can also NOT KNOW ****, BECAUSE YOU DON'T GIVE A ****, BUT STILL NOT BASH A CAR.

Not giving a ****: "Personally, I don't know too much about X car because I've never been a big fan."

Being a jerk: "Why would I know about that piece of **** X car?"

Surely anyone can comprehend these NOT SO SUBTLE differences.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by slick1851
but we all know its not cheap at all to turbo a Fbody the ight way...

NO, IT'S NOT!

BUT, I don't know what life would be like without a turbocharged LS1... Nothing like it. DO IT!
Old 06-01-2006, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bboyferal
NO, IT'S NOT!

BUT, I don't know what life would be like without a turbocharged LS1... Nothing like it. DO IT!

I am soon...
Old 06-01-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

NO, IT'S NOT!

If all is well as I plan, I will find out this winter. I have not decided if I am going to go the t70-t76 route or just get a D1SC Procharger.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:29 PM
Banned

No **** really? Did you not read my sig?

I own a Transam and DSM, im not going to sit here and explain to people a simple compect of how a turbo works. Look on line and research it, im not going to sit and fight on a forum about what PSI does and explain things, you want to know look it up.

Im sick of turbo ingnorance, most people dont own turbo cars and and think know alot about them.

Turbo LS1 guys are giving you info everyday but people fail to read threads etc with alot of info in them.

And DSMs are not imports, and never were or will be the onlything import on them is the motor thats all.

Research your not getting info spoon fed from me im sorry to sound like a

24PSI on a 16G isnt crazy its nothing for our stock motors im running 26PSI on a ported EVO3 16G using 110 octane.
I'm running a PTE SC63 T4 on my 4g64 2G with every mod I could think of, and I'm pushing 30+ psi. And my earlier post was meant to support yours by pointing out that these domestic guys should already know about turbos.

Not to mention I laugh when people say I dont make torque.

However, if you'd like to compare mod lists...

1995 Talon Tsi AWD
4g64 block/knife edged crank
Tubular T4 exhaust manifold
BJ Intake Manifold
3" IC Piping
Bigass FMIC
E-Boost controller
DSMlink
3" exhaust
MSD DIS-2
-8 fuel lines
A1000 Fuel Pump
950cc FIC Injectors
Crower 64414 cams
Built Tranny
ACT 2600 clutch
ACT XACT flywheel

There's prolly more, but I cant even remember it all.

Last edited by XakEp; 06-01-2006 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Domestic Demon
It definitely was a stereotype. You assumed that "average" LS1 owners don't know anything about Eclipses. The truth of the matter is many do, its not that hard to understand how throwing a massive turbo on a tiny engine in a light car can be fast.

However, I said most people "don't give a ****" because frankly, we really don't. Thats all well and good that there are fast DSM's, and its great for those people that they can mod their cars like that, but even if an LS1 owner gets beaten by a GSX he's not going to say to himself "better trade in my Firebird for one a dem Jap ricerocket eclipse GSX's". Everyone has different tastes, but personally I don't see the point in making a shitty car fast. Much the same reason fast CRX's and Civic's are pointless. Sure, they can beat V8's with the right mods, but at the end of the day they are still ugly, riced out piece of **** econocars.

Now I don't know if you have the reading comprehension skills to understand that, but the bottom line is one can technically "not care" about something while still having knowledge of its possible potential and what it may or may not be capable of.

Permission not given. Take it out of your sig, and get a life
Actually one of my friends offered to trade his m6 ls1 camaro for my eclipse straight up after I was done building it. When I turned him down he decided to drop the z off at a shop in germany to get twin turbo'ed, before he was deployed to Iraq. Can't wait to see that.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love both my dsms and my f bodies. I have three fbodies..my old 80 ta with 400 pontiac dropped in modded up of course.
My 99 trans am with twin turbo kit on order for it.
My 96z28 technically wifes car getting zex kit installed this year and cam ,headers and heads likelynext year.
I also own a 97 eagle talon awd and 91 laser fwd turbo.
My 97 mod list is similar to ones above.
And the only parts in it not being american now are pretty much the engine block and
bare heads.
Its a 2.4 engine from 90 hyundai but its still a mits engine.
Crower rods,wiseco pistons,arp head studs and rod bolts,acl coated bearings.
Manley stainless valves and keepers,crower valve springs and titanium retainers,crower stage 3 cams.
Fuel system is supra tt pump,950 cc injectors ,sx ajustable fuel reg.Tuning is maf translator /gm maf and dsmlink.Turbo is Forced Performance 3065,Tial blow off and tial wastegate,extreme turbo race intercooler,etc
I expect to have easy 500 engine hp on pump gas and 600 plus engine hp on race gas.
But I still expect my twin turbo but heavy ta to be my fastest car. If it gets traction!!

And while my dsm can be high maintenance would hardly call them POS! I will say thought that my firebirds and camaros have been very reliable overall but my dsms have also been not too bad if you do the proper and required maintenance on them.

And once you drive a light fast awd in rain or snow or whatever you will learn to appreciate how really great they can be. And my awd will destroy pretty much any high hp muscle car not running on drag type tires..minimum nittos like I run on both my fourth gens. On street tires my awd talon will absolutely embarrass you guaranteed.

Can't we all just agree to hate hondas guys!! and maybe mustangs...Kidding..kidding.I respect any car that is fast but sure as heck wouldn't want to own some of them from a fugly point of you. I would rather have a slow f body than a fast 4 door generally. Not counting the nice 4 door sedans but talking the new wave of 4 door "sports cars"..wrx and sti..srt 4s..I like my sports cars in two door form!!
Old 06-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Teching In

Your definitely right about that, every time it starts raining while im in my car I get a smile on my face.
Never thought I would see so many bad *** dsms on ls1tech, u guys have some nice setups.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:57 PM
12 Second Club

Not a stereotype at all... Where in my post do I attribute anything to LS1 owners? I said AVERAGE LS1 owner... Hint: particular group not all (I'll admit an instance of overstatement), and as YOU ******* SAID YOURSELF RIGHT HERE:

YOU AGREE THE AVERAGE LS1 OWNER doesn't know, by virtue of not caring to know, these things about POS Eclipses!!! Are you legally insane! You stage a counterpoint to play a pompous effort to refute my statement, and then you finish the dish by distastefully agreeing with me, probably unbeknownst to yourself and at unawares quite UNBELIEVABLY!!! You are too funny! Please respond to this. This is fun!!!

EDIT: With your permission, I will proudlty tote along with me for my travels here your ageless, domestic wisdom in my sig. If you object, please let me know and I will remove it.
What's the point of talking that way? You just seem like an ******* who thinks he is well educated because he graduated high school.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by kyle91z28
What's the point of talking that way? You just seem like an ******* who thinks he is well educated because he graduated high school.

Threads over get over it
Old 06-02-2006, 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by kyle91z28
What's the point of talking that way? You just seem like an ******* who thinks he is well educated because he graduated high school
You seem like one, too. Why the **** do you think I THINK I'm well-educated. Did YOU graduate high school? If you did, then you probably think you're well-educated and talk in a way seeming of an ******* as well... Does that make sense? I didn't think so... Close your mouth, begin breathing through your nose, and maybe discuss some DSM vs. LS1 Kill posts.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Threads over get over it
Even better idea.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:43 PM
Teching In

YES, and you can also NOT KNOW ****, BECAUSE YOU DON'T GIVE A ****, BUT STILL NOT BASH A CAR.

Not giving a ****: "Personally, I don't know too much about X car because I've never been a big fan."

Being a jerk: "Why would I know about that piece of **** X car?"

Surely anyone can comprehend these NOT SO SUBTLE differences.

One of the smartest posts I've read in a while. It's sad that people put their unwanted bias about car types in these threads. The "sure an import can put down x amount of power but they POS cars and are ricey" comment seems pretty ignorant and common in this forum. This thread started with a GSX vs an LS1 race.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mastrhu
One of the smartest posts I've read in a while. It's sad that people put their unwanted bias about car types in these threads. The "sure an import can put down x amount of power but they POS cars and are ricey" comment seems pretty ignorant and common in this forum. This thread started with a GSX vs an LS1 race.
You guys really don't get it. This is LS1 Tech, what in the hell makes you think everyone needs to like imports so much??

Just accept that many people don't like certain types of cars, its not that hard to understand