Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Whats the deal with corvette owners?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some vette owners are cool, some are not, but you can say the same for anything. Theres a guy in my complex about 28ish that owns a new C6 looks real nice. I tried talking to him once at a red light and he just laughed at me , granted my thirdgen looks completly stock from the outside but still i've learned you you never underestatment a car cause you have NO idea what he has done to it.

All well, these people just need to learn and become educated and the only way to do that is to put them into there place

But on the other side i met a guy at a party last weekend he was about 26ish, owned a 03 Z06 and he was a very very cool guy. So like i always say its the person that makes the car and not the other way around.

Justin
Old 07-03-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
yes but 55 would suck because I would need an immediate shift. 40 mph in second is the perfect spot to race from. My 2 to 3 shift isnt the best.

but yes..at 55 it would make more power...but would be useless.

I dont think aerodynamics would hurt me that much in a quick sprint from 40 to 100.
immediate shift at 55?
do you have gears? i looked in your sig and didnt see any...

with stock 3.42s..you can take 1st to about 45, and 2nd to 75...

so, 40 mph in 1st would be an immediate shift, but 40 in 2nd would be too low in the rpm band. 55 in 2nd is a sweet spot.

but hey, ill drop it in 2nd at 70-75 i love cruising around her at 40mph and having a ricer come up next to me and dropping it in 1st scares the **** outta them
Old 07-03-2006, 06:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
Went to marshall this weekend for a big car show and had some fun.

One of my friends dad just bought a 2006 corvette automatic. The damn guy did nothing but tell me how fast it was and that he would wipe the floor with me and just about anything else on the road. I couldnt stand it. I really wanted to race him but their were so many cops around and I can not afford to be caught street racing....to him it wouldnt matter, he makes like 300k a year and has his head up his ***.
We were going to put 200 dollars on the race and I almost did it...but I just had one of those feelings that I would get caught.
He even agreed to go from a 40 mph roll...I would have been in second gear in the heart of my powerband...and I can get traction from a second gear roll. I am pretty sure I would have beat him pretty good being what my car puts down and it is only about 100 pounds heavier than his.

People like him really **** me off. He had no knowledge of what my car had or anything...he just figured that I had a lowly camaro and I had no chance.

Anyone else run into this kind of thing?
I was there at the car show too and there were a lot of cars there that could off raped his corvette. I thought that it was hilarious how all the drunk guys on the side of the street kept on telling everyone to roast their tires, which I'm sure that a lot of people had a hard time resisting because of all those cops.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Well...I guess. He asked a stupid question....I gave him a stupid answer. If I'm asked again....i'll give the same reply.
Fair enough.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

With him being a "Corvette owner" you were lucky to even get him to try and race!
Old 07-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is as plain as black and white. there are two types of people who buy cars like ours:

1.) cocky rich guys with their heads up their *** that think they own the road, can beat anything on it and even if they lose (though it's impossible), they still make more money than you

-and-

2.) really chilled guys that just like working on cars and all around love the exhiliration of driving

there's really no in between. if you've noticed, the guys that work on their car themselves, regularly attend car shows and hit up the track on friday nights are usually cool guys. the ones with knowledge understand that any car can lose and you can be running 8's on the street, someone out there will beat you eventually. there's no in between with guys like us. we will either go out of our way to help you and give you a thumbs up whether we win or lose or make excuses when we lose and flip you the bird for your troubles.

it ain't the corvette, it's the drivers. you'll just find more ****** in a corvette because guys with money and no knowledge drive them. most people think 13's is fast. personally, i think it's nice, but nothing to brag about.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Iron Sights
With him being a "Corvette owner" you were lucky to even get him to try and race!
I'm a Corvette owner, and I'll race!!
Old 07-03-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
this is as plain as black and white. there are two types of people who buy cars like ours:

1.) cocky rich guys with their heads up their *** that think they own the road, can beat anything on it and even if they lose (though it's impossible), they still make more money than you

-and-

2.) really chilled guys that just like working on cars and all around love the exhiliration of driving

there's really no in between. if you've noticed, the guys that work on their car themselves, regularly attend car shows and hit up the track on friday nights are usually cool guys. the ones with knowledge understand that any car can lose and you can be running 8's on the street, someone out there will beat you eventually. there's no in between with guys like us. we will either go out of our way to help you and give you a thumbs up whether we win or lose or make excuses when we lose and flip you the bird for your troubles.

it ain't the corvette, it's the drivers. you'll just find more ****** in a corvette because guys with money and no knowledge drive them. most people think 13's is fast. personally, i think it's nice, but nothing to brag about.
You forgot about the guys with grey hair who never go past 1/2 throttle. I see a ton with 'Vettes around my area, and it is a waste of a nice car.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:10 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 99FRCTorchRed
I don't care what they drive there is a ******* in every bunch
Old 07-04-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

We were going to put 200 dollars on the race and I almost did it...but I just had one of those feelings that I would get caught.
He even agreed to go from a 40 mph roll...I would have been in second gear in the heart of my powerband...and I can get traction from a second gear roll. I am pretty sure I would have beat him pretty good being what my car puts down and it is only about 100 pounds heavier than his.
no *****. no blue chips.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

In my car 2nd gear at 40 mph feels perfect. Pulls real hard. 2nd gear will go to about 75...but it takes about 2 seconds to go from 55 to 75...and like I said, my 2 to 3 shift isnt that great.
So for me, starting out at the bottom of second gear and winding it all the way out is a good idea. By then I usually have such a big lead I dont have to worry much about the 2/3 shift.

Yes it was hilarious. Every damn stop light...everywhere you went everyone was yelling for burnouts and ****.

Did you see that car with a parachute on the back of it? I got up next to him and tried to get some...lol.
Did a nice little first gear rolling burnout to show him what I had. But he didnt want any

His corvette was the yellow convertible...maybe you seen it?
I was in a black camaro with red badges and chrome zr-1 rims. My buddy was in a blue 2003 mustang gt...with the roush stage 1 package and side exit exhaust. Maybe you seen us?
Old 07-04-2006, 10:57 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron Sights
You forgot about the guys with grey hair who never go past 1/2 throttle. I see a ton with 'Vettes around my area, and it is a waste of a nice car.
see, that's you're opinion. that also happens to be my opinion too. i feel that if you never take a WOT run once in a while, it's a waste of a car. however, some people drive 'vettes because it's a status symbol. look at anyone with a BMW. nobody buys them for any specific reason. they're generally not fast. they don't look that great. they're definitely not the most reliable car out there and they are expensive as hell to fix. they don't get good gas mileage. so why do people buy them? they have NOTHING great about them, they're the picture of mediocre. ah, the status symbol. they scream "i'm better than you". well, this is why some people buy corvettes. they just like showing you they make more money and are therefore a superior human being. we humans are a vain people.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
see, that's you're opinion. that also happens to be my opinion too. i feel that if you never take a WOT run once in a while, it's a waste of a car. however, some people drive 'vettes because it's a status symbol. look at anyone with a BMW. nobody buys them for any specific reason. they're generally not fast. they don't look that great. they're definitely not the most reliable car out there and they are expensive as hell to fix. they don't get good gas mileage. so why do people buy them? they have NOTHING great about them, they're the picture of mediocre. ah, the status symbol. they scream "i'm better than you". well, this is why some people buy corvettes. they just like showing you they make more money and are therefore a superior human being. we humans are a vain people.

Now that's funny! I buy vettes and BMW's and I don't buy them to impress you or anyone else. I buy them because I CAN and I want to. Most people who make comments like this are jealous, can't afford one or both. So what you are saying is, if money was no object, then you would still buy a POS because you want to show you are a "NORMAL" person. What a load of crap!!

The difference in me and you, is that I like all sports cars (trucks) no matter who makes it, or what it cost. I don't look down on people because I have cars that cost more than theirs, or knock people that have more than me. That's life and reality! Get over it and enjoy what you got.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't think vettes are a big deal at all really, status symbol/ All you have to do is roll up to a Murci, that car will humble anything that parks beside it imho.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by M3Corvette
Now that's funny! I buy vettes and BMW's and I don't buy them to impress you or anyone else. I buy them because I CAN and I want to. Most people who make comments like this are jealous, can't afford one or both. So what you are saying is, if money was no object, then you would still buy a POS because you want to show you are a "NORMAL" person. What a load of crap!!

The difference in me and you, is that I like all sports cars (trucks) no matter who makes it, or what it cost. I don't look down on people because I have cars that cost more than theirs, or knock people that have more than me. That's life and reality! Get over it and enjoy what you got.
Too bad you don't represent the rest of the population. I'm jealous at all (I could care less how much money they make); I just shake my head seeing a nice car go to waste. I honestly don't know whether or not those people buy it as a status symbol, but I know they drive them no differently than an Accord.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:13 PM
ckd
Teching In

Hey guys, I just saw a guy driving a camaro yesterday and he had a mullet. He actually lives in rutheville (a local trailerpark) quite coincidently. What's that say about camaro owners? I drive a vette. I don't race people on the streets but I'll go on an open highway or track. Maybe he was just talkin knowing he'd lose and just wanted to have some fun, or maybe he didn't know anything about your car. It's not the deal with all corvette owners so relax. I bought my vette cause I love them, always have and always wanted one. Race him, put him in his place and maybe he'll sell it and buy a viper. Good riddance.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:34 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 02ZOh6
I don't think vettes are a big deal at all really, status symbol/ All you have to do is roll up to a Murci, that car will humble anything that parks beside it imho.
i agree- you can get a decent used c5 in the low 20's now a days-the new lambo is 325 grand
Old 07-04-2006, 07:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pdd
i agree- you can get a decent used c5 in the low 20's now a days-the new lambo is 325 grand
Lambo................325k.................hell, I'll take two!!
Old 07-05-2006, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

I cant honestly think this guy is serious...but he is now saying that he will race me for any amount of money that I want. He says he will even do pink slips...wtf?

He paid for the thing with cash...so maybe he would really do it?

If I look it over good and find that it is truly stock...then **** it...I am racing him for pinks.

Ill trade the bitch in for an 05 corvette 6 speed...sell my camaro...and throw heads and cam on the bitch, and have money to spare...talk about a dream come true.

Ill get back with you guys if anything goes down...I just cant believe he is serious.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by M3Corvette
I'm a Corvette owner, and I'll race!!