Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Whats the deal with corvette owners?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006 | 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
454 small block?
Originally Posted by CTSVSL65AMG
I agree, didnt know there was such a thing?
Come on guys where have you been?

Click Here

-Mullet
Old 07-06-2006 | 08:43 PM
On The Tree

I used to be a major 3rd gen fan. If they are in nice shape...which seems to be few and far between...I think they are great looking car. When I was 16 I wanted a 91-92 z28 L98 in the worst way. I still have plans to get a black 91-92 z28 in the future and swap in a nice h/c lsx motor of some kind (who knows what will be around by then). I would rather have a nice black 92 z with a h/c ls1 and a 6 speed than my current car. I think they look great, especially with some different rims. Just laugh at the mullet comments...who gives a damn.
The 91-92 Z28's are very unique. Although my Iroc is an 86', it looks identicle to the one below. This particular car belongs to a fellow Third Generation owner named Shawn, and is the spitting image of mine... only difference being the size of the TT2's that were utilized (mine are 18", and I have T-Tops). Definitely not "mullet", if you ask me...

"The Sickness"
Old 07-06-2006 | 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

come on now, lets not pick on thr thirdgen's, if you give the car to a redneck then yes they can look very white trash but i can assure you mine does not.

I live in sunny california i'm far from a red neck LOL
Old 07-07-2006 | 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I envy you both.

You put the 91-92 z28 wing on your 86 iroc? I bet your car also has the unique 3rd brake light also if it is an 86.

The car in that pic would be exactly what I would want with a 400-500 rwhp lsx motor and a 6 speed. I even like that hood. I had the same one picked out when I used to own a 92 RS that had the 305 tbi 170 horsepower monster...I was scared to race just about anyone with that car...but it was a nice first car I guess.
Old 07-07-2006 | 12:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ThirdGenLS1
come on now, lets not pick on thr thirdgen's, if you give the car to a redneck then yes they can look very white trash but i can assure you mine does not.

I live in sunny california i'm far from a red neck LOL

I know a guy from Cali with a mullet... You're name isn't Paul, is it?
Old 07-07-2006 | 01:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by c6_dave
I know a guy from Cali with a mullet... You're name isn't Paul, is it?
How did you know that, have we met before?
Old 07-08-2006 | 02:51 AM
Launching!

Bring your car to texas...ill race ya!!...I wont claim mine will win, but there is always a missed shift, shifting too early...etc...My C6 put down 370 RWHP and wieghed 3150 at the track. (and yes, Ive got the fastest stock c6 time on the corvette forum right now at a 12.23@115). I can be a *****, but I know there are plenty of cars out there that will beat me...but it doesnt stop me from trying!! LOL...(and Ive won some races I thought I would lose, due to miscues by the other drivers)...I dont think ill race for pinks unless you wanna run from 160-186...I think i got ya there due to aerodynamics!!

Daren
Old 07-08-2006 | 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wont be doing any racing any time soon

I should have had some drag radials on the car or something...it is too hard to control. Im a dumb ***.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/street-racing-kill-stories/538258-wrecked-my-f-ing-car.html
Old 07-08-2006 | 08:59 PM
On The Tree

I wont be doing any racing any time soon. I should have had some drag radials on the car or something, it is too hard to control. Im a dumb ***.
I'm really sorry to hear that bro. Thank goodness your alright though, as it could have been much much worse! Don't make any decisions just yet, you really need to think this through. I wouldn't total it just yet, especially if the drivetrain is still salvageable. This might be a blessing in disguise though. Take that engine, tranny and rear, as well as those rims and interior, sell off the miscellaneous pieces, and install them on that 91-92 Z28 you always wanted...
Old 07-08-2006 | 09:09 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 98-LS1
That mullet saying is getting old, I own a third gen but have never had a mullet and never will. Is that a trailer park saying or something cause I see more mustangs in trailer parks than third gens.
Just out of curiosity, why are you frequently in trailer parks? j/k
Old 07-08-2006 | 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Street Lethal...that does sound like a real good idea. Ill have too look for a 305 5 speed car so it would make the swap a lot easier.

If they do total it...I will try and just buy it back from them if the price isnt too outrageous. Then just sell all the parts and stuff and make a little bit more of a profit off of doing that so I dont go in the hole too bad.

Ill think about it for a while and see what happens...maybe ill look through auto trader for some options. The engine, tranny and rear are all in excellent condition...so they are swap worthy.

What I am also thinking about doing is just buying a beater and start saving my money from the cash I get from this and buy a new camaro when they come out.
Old 07-08-2006 | 09:55 PM
On The Tree

Street Lethal...that does sound like a real good idea. Ill have too look for a 305 5 speed car so it would make the swap a lot easier.
The average 305 F-Body, w/5 speed, can range from two, to five thousand dollars (depending on condition, of course). You should definitely consider it, being that the third generation is much lighter than the fourth generation's, not to mention the room you have to work with under the hood (spark plug changes are a breeze)...

On TGO (Click Here), you'll find endless information covering the entire swap. I know members that ran mid twelve second quarter mile times with just the "stock" LS1 installed, and can only imagine what you'll be running when you finish the swap. Elevens are a given...

Go for it!

What I am also thinking about doing is just buying a beater and start saving my money from the cash I get from this and buy a new camaro when they come out.
Ditto on the new Camaro. I've been trying my best not to go to the extreme with my 98' Trans Am. I've been taking it easy with her, and haven't even installed a cam yet (mileage is still relatively low)... in an attempt to be able trade it in, when the time comes.
Old 07-08-2006 | 10:17 PM
Banned

My brother had a 91 RS 5.0 TBI 5 Speed, in Metallic Blue w/ Tops.
That car was nice.

He now has a 1987 Anniversary Iroc-Z in Black with the L98, and he never drives it.
When those cars are clean and taken care of, they sure are good looking cars no doubt.

Plus the fact, they feel awesome behind the wheel, they come with 700R4's, and you can put a large motor under the hood quite easily.

I like 3rd Gens, GTA's are my favorite.
Old 07-08-2006 | 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
this is as plain as black and white. there are two types of people who buy cars like ours:

1.) cocky rich guys with their heads up their *** that think they own the road, can beat anything on it and even if they lose (though it's impossible), they still make more money than you

-and-

2.) really chilled guys that just like working on cars and all around love the exhiliration of driving

there's really no in between. if you've noticed, the guys that work on their car themselves, regularly attend car shows and hit up the track on friday nights are usually cool guys. the ones with knowledge understand that any car can lose and you can be running 8's on the street, someone out there will beat you eventually. there's no in between with guys like us. we will either go out of our way to help you and give you a thumbs up whether we win or lose or make excuses when we lose and flip you the bird for your troubles.

it ain't the corvette, it's the drivers. you'll just find more ****** in a corvette because guys with money and no knowledge drive them. most people think 13's is fast. personally, i think it's nice, but nothing to brag about.
The cocky rich guys like that I think tend to think in term's of I'm either superior or inferior. They have self esteem issues, They need money or car's to make them self's feel better about them self’s instead of just being comfortable with them self’s or who they are. There’s a guy that owns a Vett in my town that has that attitude. He was bragging outside a bar all about his car to someone and then he turned to look in my direction he caught me with a smirk on my face. He didn’t say anything; he probably thought I was just jealous. Little does he know I could afford to buy ten of those cars if I really wanted to.
Old 07-09-2006 | 07:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by M3Corvette
Corvette owners!! You would not be stereotyping now would you, because you know a ******** that drives a vette. That's like me saying all Camaro owners are punks because I say a young guy driving one the other day!

Now reality is, with your mods you would kick his butt. The auto(unmodded) is very slow for a 400 hp car. It only has a 2:73 rear end. If we were stereotyping here, we would assume then all vettes are slow. If he had a C6 Z51 6spd with the 3:42's then that's a different story. Send him my way and I will tear him a new one and bring him back to reality!!

DAMN MAN HOW MANY VETTE'S YOU GOT?
Old 07-09-2006 | 10:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by justinz28
DAMN MAN HOW MANY VETTE'S YOU GOT?
Only the two 2006's left. I sold my 2005. Nice ride you have there. I sold a 2000 WS6 about a year ago. I loved that car! Over the last 10 years I have owned 4 Z28'S, 5 Camaro SS's, 4 TA's and 2 WS6's. All great cars. Later.
Old 08-25-2006 | 12:38 AM
Teching In

sorry to dig up a somewhat old post, but coming from a family that is into fbods and vettes, i know how it can be. i personally have my 95 camaro(ls1 swapped in and under the knife once again), my truck, and a 72 vette. then my dad has a 76 vette, and my brother has a 77,80, and a 93. but he usually drives his 85 iroc. but we have had so many people tell my brother and i before that the vettes(sorry to say but is well known in them times to be rather slow) can outrun both his iroc and my camaro. we just laugh it off and walk away.

but i live right outside the biggest retirement community known as the villages and there isnt a day that goes by that i dont see two fist fulls of late model vettes. and its the same thing, they talk **** when at the car shows and in parking lots and everything, but no matter what, u cant get any of them to race. they just laugh at ya. there is an old guy here and there that will race ya, but 95% of them will sit there and talk them up about how they can beat anything and not have a clue about the cars. i asked one guy at a show a few months ago what he had done(all i could see was headers and exhaust) and he said he didnt know. so me being the smart *** i am, i asked him if it was an lt1 or ls1 and once again. he didnt know.
it just sucks in this area, you see all these vettes and 95% of them dont have a damn clue of what they are capable of. hell, even for that matter how to change the damn oil in them.
Old 08-25-2006 | 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kamikazematt
sorry to dig up a somewhat old post, but coming from a family that is into fbods and vettes, i know how it can be. i personally have my 95 camaro(ls1 swapped in and under the knife once again), my truck, and a 72 vette. then my dad has a 76 vette, and my brother has a 77,80, and a 93. but he usually drives his 85 iroc. but we have had so many people tell my brother and i before that the vettes(sorry to say but is well known in them times to be rather slow) can outrun both his iroc and my camaro. we just laugh it off and walk away.

but i live right outside the biggest retirement community known as the villages and there isnt a day that goes by that i dont see two fist fulls of late model vettes. and its the same thing, they talk **** when at the car shows and in parking lots and everything, but no matter what, u cant get any of them to race. they just laugh at ya. there is an old guy here and there that will race ya, but 95% of them will sit there and talk them up about how they can beat anything and not have a clue about the cars. i asked one guy at a show a few months ago what he had done(all i could see was headers and exhaust) and he said he didnt know. so me being the smart *** i am, i asked him if it was an lt1 or ls1 and once again. he didnt know.
it just sucks in this area, you see all these vettes and 95% of them dont have a damn clue of what they are capable of. hell, even for that matter how to change the damn oil in them.
Ok, so its a requirement to know a certain amount about a car before you can own it? It's a requirement to race it? If an old guy talks a bunch of ****, but won't race, or doesn't know anything about his car, and you know he's just full of ****, why would that even bother you? He's just some old rich guy with nothing to do. Who cares?
Old 08-26-2006 | 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

How old is this thread?