Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

378 rwhp auto C5 vrs bone stock 05 NSX

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2.73 Vette
Are you guys not hearing what I said??????

My car has 378 rwhp and his stock NSX styed dead even with me..

The only C5 that will stand a chance is a C5Z06 ( from a roll) will kill it in the 1/4 mile..

And honestly I can pull stock C5Z06's at the strip....havent ran one on the freeway so Im not sure.

A coupe or frc or convertable C5..SS..WS6...GTO 04/05 you name it will get pulled hard by a stock 1997 and up NSX.

If I had my bone stock 299 rwhp it would have been very ugly for me...

You have to look at it like this...

A C5 will dyno roughly300 rwhp
A NSX will dyno roughly 270 rwhp

A C5 weighs around 3270 pounds
A NSX weighs around 3120 pounds

So the C5 has 30 more rwhp and the NSX has 150 pounds less weight..

As far as power to weight goes their both nearly identical...

The C5 has a .29 drag rating
The NSX has a .30 drag rating

Is their any coincidence with their power to weight ratio being nearly the same and arodynamics being nearly the same that they both have a top speed of 170 mph????

They are very evenly matched..

So why do I think the NSX will pull basicly any C5 if their so evenlt matched..

C5's have 2.73...3.15 and 3.42 gearing
NSX's have 4.06 gears

Imagine how fast a bone stock manual C5 would be with the only mod being that it had 4.06 gearing????

The manual C5 would easily be 3 tenths faster through the1/4 mile..

Now imagine that the C5 had the NSX's 8000 rpm red line??? Another easy two tenths faster...

So everything from power to weight to arodynamics and top speed is the samefor these cars..

EXCEPT gearing and rpm's wich can really effect a cars performance....

But the NSX dosent have all the advantages in this comparo..It lacks the low end tourque of the C5 and until it's in it's 4600-8000 powerband is quite slow..

But in the race we did there was never a time when he wasnt in his powerband..

If we had raced from a dead stop I would have immediatly put 3-4 cars on him by 70 mph and stayed that way till we shut down at 100 plus mph...

But on a freeway roll they are VERY DANDEOUS

You have these redneck loyalist on here, that refuse to believe what where saying.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

So the nsx is dangerous from a roll.
Point taken.
Moving on.....
Old 08-03-2006, 05:46 PM
Launching!

^I tried to make that in size 7 font.

I love how facts are useless online.

2.73 can drive. His car is not slow. So everyone who spouted how a mild modded F-body would crush one should take note.

A powerhouse its not. A awesome car that is in fact a good car for the money it is.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dannyz
So the nsx is dangerous from a roll.
Point taken.
Moving on.....
I would say, even more dangerous from a dig. Mid engine cars launch like awd cars minus the bogging.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 25psi
I would say, even more dangerous from a dig. Mid engine cars launch like awd cars minus the bogging.
I disagree because of the torque diff. You put a good set of tires on both cars the car with more torque can lauch harder especially in this comparision. One thing you guys aren't considering is that the vette is an auto and that this guys vette isn't that fast stock (13.5) I ran a 12.9 at 110mph with lid and muffler. If you race the NSX from a dig you should be able to kill him considering his power is in the higher rpms (v-tec). The M6's tend to be faster on the freeway due to gearing. Good run non the less.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:15 PM
Teching In

I applaud you for being an LS guy and yet giving props where they are due. I owned an NSXT (97) and it freaking ripped on the freeway, it was faster than my stock CTSV, and thats saying a lot, because that CTSV ran a 13.2 out of the box with stock run flats and bad axel hop.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_Z28
I disagree because of the torque diff. You put a good set of tires on both cars the car with more torque can lauch harder especially in this comparision. One thing you guys aren't considering is that the vette is an auto and that this guys vette isn't that fast stock (13.5) I ran a 12.9 at 110mph with lid and muffler. If you race the NSX from a dig you should be able to kill him considering his power is in the higher rpms (v-tec). The M6's tend to be faster on the freeway due to gearing. Good run non the less.
As you can tell from my sig, I own an mr2. I have yet to have someone jump out on me. Stock mr2's have pulled 1.7's and 8's on street tires. Why do you think in Japan, they stick mid engine cars against awd cars at the track.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

2.73. Good run. Thanks for the info.

My car, like yours...doesn't truly start to show it's nature until your @ about 4600rpm as well. ABove that...ha...it's like doctor jeckyl, and mr.hyde.

Time for some more mods my friend.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As you can tell from my sig, I own an mr2. I have yet to have someone jump out on me. Stock mr2's have pulled 1.7's and 8's on street tires. Why do you think in Japan, they stick mid engine cars against awd cars at the track.
I pulled 1.8's on goodyear eagle F1 supercars...and 1.9's on emt's in my old vette,....when it was making 355rwhp in the florida heat. I'd imagine a mid engine car with some power behind it, would be pretty nasty outta the whloe.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've seen my buddys vette pull a 1.6 60ft on radials. The nsx dosen't pull till v-tec, so I could see the vette pulling harder in first gear.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would think they run mid engine cars against the AWD cars because they don't race V8's there. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JD_Z28
I would think they run mid engine cars against the AWD cars because they don't race V8's there. Just my 2 cents.
Midengined cars launch almost as hard as awd cars. Thats why they put them together. Its all about weight transfer in RWD cars. If both cars are on the same rubber a midengined car will outlaunch a rwd car easily.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FEARSM
Midengined cars launch almost as hard as awd cars. Thats why they put them together. Its all about weight transfer in RWD cars. If both cars are on the same rubber a midengined car will outlaunch a rwd car easily.
But what if were considering a v6 mid engine against a V8 that is almost equal in weight but has alot more torque. (Considering their both on sticky rubber) I've seen the best 60 ft times on the torqueier V8's on slicks. If were talking about street tires then of course the mid engine will have an advantage. I would think that a car that has more torque with some sticky slicks could out do a mid engine v6. (comparing the nsx to vette)
Old 08-03-2006, 07:09 PM
Teching In

The C5 in question runs street tires. The question was asked about going from a dig in the same race. Regardless of the Vette's tq advantage if the NSX was launched properly he wouldnt have a problem getting a nice holeshot. Just like an AWD platform would on street tires. On slicks of course its a different story, but thats out of context with this situation.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

Plain and simple auto tranny and low gearing sluggish from roll! When my WS6 M6 was all stock exept cat back and lid I tore my buddies full bolt on with headers C5 Auto a new *** hole from a roll like he was standing still!
Old 08-03-2006, 07:33 PM
Launching!

Hole shots are their own whole area. The mass of the flywheel, the tire, the suspension, the weight and distrabution of it, gearing, power,torque,etc.

If as car can launch and get traction at an RPM point where it lays down a lot, then its going to launch. I have no idea what RPM you launch an NSX at, but I am guessing its not exactly idle. Ill also bet their 1st gear is pretty aggressive.

LS1s do launch well because they can do it from an RPM where they make power and torque. They also have the advantage of big tires and a nice live axle that does not have changing camber under weight transfer like an IRS. And the fact that they run a heavy flywheel means that even at low revs theres a good bit of energy stored in the rotational assembly in the first moments of launch.

In my humble, non-quantified opinion, the LS1 can launch with the NSX in most cases for the reasons I outlined below. But I can see an NSX out-launching a stock suspensioned LS1 easaly. On street tires in mild setups, the NSX will probably have the better 60. In terms of full-out drag launches with purpose built cars, I think the F-Body will take to nasty short times better.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ive seen v8 swapped pontiac fiero's rip 60fts that would make alot of cars jealous/ including midengine/awd cars.

nothing better than having all the weight on the back end
Old 08-03-2006, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CamaroSS621
id rather have a neon

just fyi: my neighbor has a 600hp NSX and i blew his doors off with my little camaro
A 600 HP NSX is very rare. And also that means your Camaro is 600+ HP correct?
Old 08-03-2006, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CamaroSS621
srt10 viper for one, saleens
Neither. He said Viper. Dude, they handle like **** out the box. You talking about a crazy car to drive when its wet or trying to floor it. I drove one last year and I could get it loose through curves like it was my job.

Saleens? You mean Saleen Mustangs? Please.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Without a converter you're wasting your time. Get a damn converter and re-race. Yes the NSX is quick, but you're leaving a lot to be desired with the stock verter.