Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My GTO vs Supra TT question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 01:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z2K_MrJ
This DUde would have to have aLot of Money into His Supra to be going Plenty Fast ... PPl allways Assume Spuras Are Monsters.. When they Seem them From a Roll in these Videos. Do People In real life actualy have any clue as to what Kind of money is spent on getting them to Get there?? Not Knocking a Supra.. They are Awsome.. But Depending on his Gears & Cam Set Up Not to Metion his Boost. You could Have Your Hands FUll even with all your Mods. Race Him & Find Out i SAy
Trust me, I do, it doesn't take a fortune to bring a supra to 900 rwhp. Matter of fact, just helped my cousin bring his bpu'd supra to monster status. What a lot of people forget, the stock supra motor can easily handle 800rwhp and then some. Due to not having to build the motor, definitely keeps the costs bearable.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CoRNFeD LS2
I know you guys hate this but here it goes.......
How modded of a Supra can I beat? My parts are in my sig, on the spray what can I beat and off the spray what can I beat?
For the record we are talking roll racing from a 50 punch.
The reason I ask is because my buddy knows this dude who has a 97 Supra with an intake, full exhaust, BOV, Boost Controller, cam gears, and a tune.
Would I stand a chance all motor or had I better get the bottle filled?
Yes! You will have to hit the bottle to win! Your biggest disadvantage is your weight.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

honestly i wouldnt waste my time with someone that wants you to race his race. what is this pinks? i need 20 car lengths just to be an even race. there are 4 supra's ranging from 600-1000rwhp that come out to the street races in fort worth. standing starts and 40 mph roll on's, i saw 3 out 4 get hammered by a T-76 STS turbo T/A, he had a big FMIC, piping 3" to the front, not the standard STS kit. Awesome races!!!! It was so gratifying watching a stock motor LS1 with a 5k bolt on kit hammer down on these cars. The supra owners all claimed 40k-80k spent on their cars. I wish that was on video.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Blown04Z06
honestly i wouldnt waste my time with someone that wants you to race his race. what is this pinks? i need 20 car lengths just to be an even race. there are 4 supra's ranging from 600-1000rwhp that come out to the street races in fort worth. standing starts and 40 mph roll on's, i saw 3 out 4 get hammered by a T-76 STS turbo T/A, he had a big FMIC, piping 3" to the front, not the standard STS kit. Awesome races!!!! It was so gratifying watching a stock motor LS1 with a 5k bolt on kit hammer down on these cars. The supra owners all claimed 40k-80k spent on their cars. I wish that was on video.
3 out of 4 got "hammered"? I would assume a STS kit on a stock bottom-end would be no more than 525 whp or so? Just guessing. Whoa, hold on. So this car doesn't have heads or a cam or anything? Wow... So we are talking like 450 whp...

I don't see how that would hammer 3 600+ whp Supras from any speed. There are 525-550 whp Supras running 10's. Must have been bad drivers or on street rubber. But from a 40 roll too? I still would take any of those Supras over a STS T/A.

Like Suprasonic's car.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/sp...upra&trimid=-1 im sorry but there is not a big weight diff. between a gto and a supra. and i believe your GTO will hand it to him on the bottle. hell hes got 2 turbos so i think its only fair for you to have nitrous. GTO=
Old 08-12-2006, 11:49 PM
Teching In

Do the CTS-V's weigh similar to the GTO's? Also, aren't they the same motor? The reason I am asking, cause my buddy who owns a Magnasun Supercharged CTS-V wanted to do a roll with me from 60mph. At the time I had my boost down and was only at 474rwhp which was verified that week and dynoed at A&A Corvette's. My buddy claims 450rwhp with his set up. We did the roll from 60 and since his gearing was ideal for him and me being shy by 500rpms from boost, he shot out a car and half ahead. But by 100mph, I was walking him pretty bad and by 120mph buslengths. Either my buddy is off on his rwhp or his car is definitely a lot heavier than mine.

To LSINA7, thanks for the compliment.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sdbrown84
Don't even think about selling your car because someone is faster. There is ALWAYS someone faster than you. Remeber here you are dealing with a fast car that lives to build RPM's. You have advanatages off the line.

Thinking about selling out because of something faster goes against what it means to be a "car enthusiast." If you want to beat everything on the road drop a "few" grand on a 408, put a turbo on it, drop your weight a few hundred pounds, and yeah then you should sell it if you get beat.
When did I ever say I wanted to sell the goat? I love my car, I just need to spend a **** load more to make myself extremely happy with it.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:30 AM
Teching In

video tape the race.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SupraSonic
Trust me, I do, it doesn't take a fortune to bring a supra to 900 rwhp. Matter of fact, just helped my cousin bring his bpu'd supra to monster status. What a lot of people forget, the stock supra motor can easily handle 800rwhp and then some. Due to not having to build the motor, definitely keeps the costs bearable.
Supra's come with an iron block right? Forged internals? I always got the impression that past BPU on a Supra was an arm and a leg to make them go faster. I've looked up parts for them before and it just seems too costly compared to an LSX based engine. You have one bad *** car imo! I shadow the Supra forums from time to time. There are some monsters over there.

DSM Doctor - Whats up Brent? See you at work man.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:36 AM
Teching In

i dont think they are forged but i do believe they can handle around 600 on a stock block. granted a good tune. whats it like working on them Suprasonic? i know dsm's are pretty easy but that 3.0 looks a little clustered imo. nice numbers by the way. I played with a white 93 supra tt auto who had an exhaust, intake, mbc, and claimed 340whp. we went from like 50 or so and i stoped his pull and stayed just behind his door till we hit traffic at about 90 mph or so. i dont think he was tuned right. remember that car Pipelayaz?? see you at work man. Cant wait till september.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah Steve's Supra. Its stock.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:43 AM
Staging Lane

The 2JZ-GE (Non-turbo motor) is not forged, but can handle 500 whp... The 2JZ-GTE (TT models) is forged, and there has been a couple instances of over 950 whp on the stock block. And they really aren't costly because you don't have to build the motor, as Suprasonic was saying. Makiing 800+ whp on a LSX requires a built motor among other things.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pipelayaz
Supra's come with an iron block right? Forged internals? I always got the impression that past BPU on a Supra was an arm and a leg to make them go faster. I've looked up parts for them before and it just seems too costly compared to an LSX based engine. You have one bad *** car imo! I shadow the Supra forums from time to time. There are some monsters over there.

DSM Doctor - Whats up Brent? See you at work man.
Yes they do come with an iron block.

Yeah parts can be expensive, but that's if you purchase the parts from the big name guys.

Right now if you go to supraforums, there is a guy that is using most of the ebay parts for his single build. I think he's around 600rwhp at this point. His turbo system he put together from ebay was 1500 or less. He is actually a seller on ebay and he is proving to the supra community that you don't have to spend an arm and a leg. Everything that he sells for the supra, is what he is using.

Thanks for the compliment.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock twins are a craps shoot in terms of what you'll run across on the street. Could be anywhere from a 110mph up to 120+ if he's running race gas. With those cars, finding one stock as mentioned is a needle in a haystack, and you really don't know what you'll come across when you see one. Good luck, don't sell your car short either, with LTs and that shot of spray I bet it'd be closer than you think... now a singled car, well, that's a whole new can of worms

-J
Old 08-13-2006, 04:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
Are you kiddin' me? You ever ran a Supra? Man you got a badass car but an intake and exhaust ain't gonna let you beat a Supra. Try some Spray and a Tune....and get you a big ol' bumpstick.
Well stock for stock the Supra was a mid to low 13 sec car just like the LS2 GTO and I doubt it would beat the GTO on top end. Of course the average supra we see or hear about is murdering cars left and right on top end but when you say "an intake and exhaust aint' gonna let you beat a Supra you better be specific on the mods of the supra because a stock supra is pray for a LS2 GTO!!
Old 08-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TORNATIC!!
Well stock for stock the Supra was a mid to low 13 sec car just like the LS2 GTO and I doubt it would beat the GTO on top end. Of course the average supra we see or hear about is murdering cars left and right on top end but when you say "an intake and exhaust aint' gonna let you beat a Supra you better be specific on the mods of the supra because a stock supra is pray for a LS2 GTO!!

Why are you quoting 1/4 mile ET's. That has nothing to do with top end runs. What do GTO's trap in teh 1/4?
Old 08-13-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TORNATIC!!

Here we go again, another misinformed individual.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:46 PM
12 Second Club

On the 150 shot you should win, your buddy sounds like he has a pretty basic BPU Supra that would most likely dyno in the 400rwhp range, id imagine your GTO on 150 jets is right around the 500rwhp mark.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea if he is on gas, no problem.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:49 PM
12 Second Club

Unless the poopras on race gas, then it could get interesting.

Quick Reply: My GTO vs Supra TT question?