Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Slaughtered an 05 GT last night

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 04:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Hmm thats kinda weird as the IRS in the C5 usually eats more power on the dyno than the 10-bolt in the f-body...im guessing though that the ls6 intake and better flowing exhaust made up the difference?
No his C5 was a 2000 model also it still had the LS1 Intake on it.... He added Kooks headers and exhaust and picked up 30 to the wheels with HPTuners though... the C5's have alot better exhaust manifolds from the factory and of coarse the exhaust flows much better. The air box and air intake system are also more efficient... I don't know if that would make that much difference but I guess it did because he put down right at 30 more to the ground than I did.

Wouldnt that make sense though cause mine is rated at 305 HP from the factory and the C5's are rated at 350 HP from the factory??? I've always questioned exactly what is different. Same cams or are they different... is the compression different?? I'm not sure
Old 10-04-2006, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is great!

At any rate, it's very likely that a new GT can get well over 300rwhp with bolt-ons and tune. It's also very likely that an A4 C5 vette will still stomp him on the street. I speak from experience...

If I run across a Cobra, I wonder if I can win. If I run across a GT, I usually wonder if he'll be able to make it somewhat interesting.

Oh yeah, nice kill!
Old 10-05-2006, 11:23 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ponygt65
I don't think one or two dyno's is 'proof'. They are tools to test and adjust things, and to give you an 'idea' for power. They will vary all over for different reasons. I agree that with a few bolt ons and a tune the S197s can have some nice power. One thing I noticed in that dyno info you posted (04terminator), is not only was there a tune, but there was 93 Octane used. I am sure we can all bet that the tune was set for the higher octane instead of the stock 87 rated. That will help a little. The fact that Big three is saying that it is not uncommon for S197s to put down 300 or 300+ with minimum changes is what makes me laugh. Not to mention he thinks a S197 is 'up to par' with an LS. SOLEY on his 2 different races..that is PURELY ignorance.

BTW - i test drove an S197 today. I ahve been thinking abotu getting a new '07 GT/CS as my new DD. I would just hate having a car slower than my wife...HA HA!

I agree. I just wanted to present some facts into this here discussion. A tune only, 300whp S197 is a fast car, but it still will take a little more to consistently run with an average stock LS1 Fbod (drivers equal). Even a "stupid" 'ol mustang owner like me knows that...
Old 10-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by will82
If I run across a Cobra, I wonder if I can win. If I run across a GT, I usually wonder if he'll be able to make it somewhat interesting.
Shouldn't you be asking yourself "I wonder how heavily modified that GT is?"

There are a some GT's around my area that are pretty nasty...to the tune
of 700rwhp and up.