Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Street Racers arrested and cars to be sold

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 02:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, as much as I like a good race, it has been a long time coming.

Every since Fast-n-Furious came out street racing has gotten outta control. I'm not as worried about guys like us as much as all these kids who think their imports are indestructable. Most these kids on the roads drive like they are in a remote controlled car instead of a vechicle that weighs a couple thousand pounds.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackMagicC5
So if I go out into public and wave my gun around and fire off a few shots, shouldn't that gun be taken away from me? Yes, because I was using it in a reckless way. It's the same thing. The way some of those guys race is so dangerous you couldn't imagine. Being able to drive is not a right, its a privelage. If you don't agree, just ask the DMV. Would you feel differently about this if your wife/gf/child/friend/family got killed by one of these guys doing "165mph"?

The problem, officer, is that these days "to serve & protect" seems to be interpreted by law enforcement as "to abuse & harass." It's a trend made popular by law enforcement staged TV. Where's the cop that hangs out here boasting his 190 MPH romp through Michigan? Preach to him.

Arresting kids parked in a parking lot is quite different than finding them racing while you hide under an over pass shooting radar while attempting to increase the City's income. Give it a rest.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if I go out into public and wave my gun around and fire off a few shots, shouldn't that gun be taken away from me? Yes, because I was using it in a reckless way. It's the same thing. The way some of those guys race is so dangerous you couldn't imagine. Being able to drive is not a right, its a privelage. If you don't agree, just ask the DMV. Would you feel differently about this if your wife/gf/child/friend/family got killed by one of these guys doing "165mph"?
Sure the gun should be taken away - but not permanently. The government is not our parents, they shouldn't take away our personal property without due process. The person should be arrested and sent to jail possibly, but their personal property shouldn't be taken away. Do you honestly think that taking the gun away would stop someone from doing it again in the future?? No, they'll just buy another gun, so its pointless.

Being able to drive is a privelage, but being able to own a vehicle is your right. Therefore then can take away your license, but they should not be able to take away your vehicle.

Next thing you know they'll just start confiscating everything, its just totally out of line to take their vehicles away.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:08 PM
Teching In

welcome to the new police state! AWESOME!

i dont support street racing, but this just isn't right.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:33 PM
12 Second Club

This went 14 pages over on corvetteforum offtopic. Where's my popcorn?
Old 11-06-2006, 04:39 PM
Teching In

Nice topic, intresting to hear people's opinions towards it. I don't agree about the whole taking the car away but about getting arrested, those who street race know those are the consiquences you take when street racing. Nothing new!
I personally think they are targeting street racing a bit to much when there's worse things out there.
For those with negative point of views towards street racing or just hate it your are in "Street racing & Kill stories" so hearing about street racing shouldn't be a surprise and you are most defiantly in the wrong section if you do.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TransAminal
Sure the gun should be taken away - but not permanently. The government is not our parents, they shouldn't take away our personal property without due process. The person should be arrested and sent to jail possibly, but their personal property shouldn't be taken away. Do you honestly think that taking the gun away would stop someone from doing it again in the future?? No, they'll just buy another gun, so its pointless.

Being able to drive is a privelage, but being able to own a vehicle is your right. Therefore then can take away your license, but they should not be able to take away your vehicle.

Next thing you know they'll just start confiscating everything, its just totally out of line to take their vehicles away.
exactly.

plus, this seems pretty inconsistent. is your car taken away after your first DUI/DWI? most likely not (it prolly varies some by state).

I also noticed in the article, that people were being arrested for racing b/c they were in a parking lot and had modified their cars. Obviously, hanging around a parking lot in a car with a cat-back, means you were street racing (to 165mph!!) and you should have your car confiscated to be sold at auction as well as be arrested. Sounds good! who cares about due process? reasonable doubt? those ideas are old and lame. if the cops think you did something, that should be enough. throw everyone in jail and take all their stuff! yippee!!!!!

ugh.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:23 PM
12 Second Club

They like to call that "guilty by assosiation"
Old 11-06-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have been arrested for street racing and it was the biggest waste of time and just cost a bunch of money. The bad thing was that I wasnt racing. I was cruising around with 3 cobras and 2 of them did a 10mph-60mph pull. The cop heard loud cars and pulled me and 1 of the cobra guys over and arrested us. I think its ridiculous to not have proof and still be able to do this. The cop even said he didnt see anything. It cost me over $1500.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PLucas
I have been arrested for street racing and it was the biggest waste of time and just cost a bunch of money. The bad thing was that I wasnt racing. I was cruising around with 3 cobras and 2 of them did a 10mph-60mph pull. The cop heard loud cars and pulled me and 1 of the cobra guys over and arrested us. I think its ridiculous to not have proof and still be able to do this. The cop even said he didnt see anything. It cost me over $1500.
A 500$ lawyer probably could have gotten that one dropped
Old 11-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Launching!

As scary as this is, I totally agree.

This probably is not some good ol' boys racing on a back road. This is kids risking other peoples lives.

Thats why I have never street raced except on some country bumpkin road. The guy who's gong home from work at 10:30 never decided to race, but he's just as dead as the idiot who slammed into him. On a back road or track, the only people dying are the people who got the choice. And thats a huge difference.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:07 PM
Launching!

Sorry people, but nobody has the right to go endagering other peoples lives for entertainment (or respect, to some people thats more important ROTFLMAO). A heavily modded fast car is a deadly tool just like a firearm. When someone is racing recklessly they have proven that they dont have the restraint required to posses it.

So to go back to the gun analogy. Hell yeah the gun should be taken. What are we going to do, say that we cant take his property and then say he can have the gun but not the ammo? That wont work. What will is taking it, enforcing laws that keep violent felons from owning guns, and not just throwing up our hands and saying its hunkey-dory.

I own a gun. Nobodys taking it from me. Why? I dont go doing stupid things with it. You can have a 600WHP car. If you dont go racing at 150 through traffic, its not getting taken away.

Has it occured to anyone that when idiot parking lot baddasses start their crap en masse its limiting everyone elses rights? Id say we all have a right to drive safely down the highway after work at night without being run down by some ricer-flyby.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i agree.. the only time i street race is with no one around, its not worth risking other peoples lives for our stupidity, but i dont think that they should take your cars, that is your personal property just as stated above, a license is a priveledge, but owning a car is a right. and the whole guilty by association is a bunch of bs... if you are standing around people and just talking and they just got done racing or whatever, thats not you that did anything wrong. i think thats bull ****
Old 11-06-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

I've seen some of these kids around town weaving in and out of traffic, on the shoulder I might add. Those guys should be thrown in jail and their vehicle confiscated, but definetely not auctioned off. That would **** the ever living **** out of me. I definetely don't agree with them doing that.

Do I street race? Damn right I do. Do I get up to 165mph and weave in/out of traffic? Hell no. Like that other guy in this thread, I'm lucky to get 2-3 passes if I go to my local drag strip which is ~1 hour drive (one way) from my house, and that's if I get there early.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont think they should be able to take the car, in florida they can take the car the second time u get caught, unless u dont own it. by them taking the car its like them saying ur a criminal and ur gonna do it again, which is guilty before being proved innocent. when someone runs a red light i think they have a 99% better chance of being seriouly injured or killed, but they dont take their cars. also street racing kills like 20 people(i think) a year in the entire united states, drunk driving kills tons, but yet street racing is just as serious of an offense maybe even more when u think about it
Old 11-06-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Unconstitutional. A lot of those charges will be dropped and vehicles will be returned.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:50 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

GOOD!!!
Old 11-06-2006, 06:54 PM
12 Second Club

most backroads i've been on are more dangerous by far then an empty highway at 2am. crappy pavement, narrow lanes, little side-to-side visibility. how do you 'backwoods' boys know there isn't a hunter or hiker walking behind those bushes you just plowed through as you lost control of your car after hitting an animal that just came out of nowhere from the thick wall of brush just a few feet from the edge of the road?
I agree 100% percent that people driving recklessly should be punished. thing is, i don't agree that 'street racing' in and of itself qualifies as recklessness. These examples of cars hitting 165mph while swerving through traffic, this isn't street racing, this is recklessness.
two cars slowing down next to each other on a deserted strip of highway (or even stopping, depending on the road of course), then nailing it, that is racing, and i don't see the problem ( well, within reason, but it seems most people have no concept of 'reason' anymore )

the entire way we enforce traffic laws in general is pretty broken. since most traffic violations are just infractions, and have little or no real impact on you legally, police have gotten away with a lot in terms of lack of evidence and reasonable doubt. most people just don't care enough to fight it. but now they (courts and police) are applying that same kind of attitude to automotive misdomeanors and even felonies, confiscating and selling cars before there is even a conviction.
punish first, find the truth never.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Krab
I've seen some of these kids around town weaving in and out of traffic, on the shoulder I might add. Those guys should be thrown in jail and their vehicle confiscated, but definetely not auctioned off. That would **** the ever living **** out of me. I definetely don't agree with them doing that.

Do I street race? Damn right I do. Do I get up to 165mph and weave in/out of traffic? Hell no. Like that other guy in this thread, I'm lucky to get 2-3 passes if I go to my local drag strip which is ~1 hour drive (one way) from my house, and that's if I get there early.
i completly agree...
Old 11-06-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cwaldt
One Mustang had a racing engine in it, police said......

.....But he added that he bought his 1994 Mustang two years ago and souped it up to make the engine sound bigger.
For the record, these two lines are my favorite.

I'm glad our cars came with racing engines from the factory.

Quick Reply: Street Racers arrested and cars to be sold