Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My 95 M3 vs stock SVT Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 06:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 95 M3 vs stock SVT Cobra

Hey guys,

I am new here so i thought i would participate in the kills section to get to know the rest of ya.

Now, before I tell you all what happened i need to explain what i have done to my car( also please see sig for times at the track). The biggest thing that i have done to my car is the 3.91lsd. The stock gearing in my 95 M3( 96-99's were different) is 3.15lsd, well i went to 3.91lsd and it makes a serious difference. My best time at the track is a 13.61 and i have 110k on my car and it is still on the stock clutch which really should be replaced soon. I also have some weight reduction as well which helps my cause( really just the VIS carbon fiber hood that is 12lbs and much lighter catback. all in all it saves about 60lbs with both mods).

With that said i will get onto the details.

I was coming home last monday night from playing ball and am on a 3 lane road. well, i see a car coming up behind me pretty fast, but to my luck the light up ahead of us( about 1/8 mile ahead) turns yellow so i drop down to 3rd and hit it so that he knows i want to play( when i dropped to 3rd he was just at my side and was beginning to slow due to the yellow light)

well, we get to the light and he is on my right. This was the 3rd newest model so i am guessing it was something like a 97 or 98 SVT Cobra and it was all stock from what i could see. i rev at him alittle and he revs back.....i kinda chuckled cause his was a bit louder even though i have a pretty loud E36 M3 still no sound match against a stang.

Well i am ready to launch as is he. His engine was slightly revved as was mine and the light turns green and we are off. I jumped out about 1/2 car ahead of him on the launch( the gearing helps) and when i shifted to 2nd i made the gap wider to 1 cl. By they time i was at the end of 3rd i had him by a good 3 CL's and then shut down. 3rd ends at about 82mph with the 3.91lsd.

We exchanged thumbs up and i had to make a turn to get to my house.

From my observation the fella couldn't shift fast at all, i know cause i had my window down to hear him shift and it was pretty slow. When i race someone that i think is gonna be really tough to beat then i don't mess around with shifting and my foot never leaves the floor. This fella's shifting was not soo good and that is why i think i beat him like i did. I also raced another SVT cobra( same body style) at an 1/8 mile track with intake and catback and he only turned a 9.1 and i turned an 8.8( not my best 1/8th mile time).

Should i have beaten this fella considering my times in my sig, or was he just a bad driver and didn't do his car justice?

Jon

EDIT: Track times were at Maryland international raceway.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:39 AM
Teching In

i got 24 views so far and no comments?

for anyone who is wondering, just cause i own a Bimmer doesn't mean i am an elitist. i am an enthusiast and loved that sound of that cobra and that it looked great.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Good run. Any pics of your ride?
Old 12-28-2006, 11:15 AM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Some of us are just lazy when it comes to posting. Good kill. You WILL get more replies with a bit more arrogance in your posts, not too much, just a bit. Its like jail, you dont want to be known as the NICE guy. Or I just live in my own little world.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:30 AM
Teching In

Good kill and welcome to the Street racing & kill section.

+1 on any pics of your ride?
Old 12-28-2006, 12:19 PM
Teching In

i will try to get some pics up of my M3 when i get home, which will be later in the evening cause i hit the gym after i work.

thanks for the comments fellas. I love all kinds of cars and try to stay away from the idiotic idea that BMW is the only car that is worth anything.

To the fella that said don't be the NICE guy cause it's like jail.....don't worry, i wear a chastity(sp?) belt to cover up my anus!
Old 12-28-2006, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

People that use words like "chasity belt" usually get attention for the wrong reasons.

Good kill!
Old 12-29-2006, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by grey03mach1
People that use words like "chasity belt" usually get attention for the wrong reasons.

Good kill!

Ahahahaha. I couldn't help but think about the Naked gun movie when Leslie Neilson was in the prison shower and when he bent down to pick up the other guys soap, he had on iron underwear with a lock on it.....aahahahhaaha
Old 12-29-2006, 12:51 PM
12 Second Club

Good kill man! I own the same model Cobra you are referring to so I will chime in.

My car is bone stock with 93K on the clock. It consistently traps 100-102 in 80 degree weather. With 2.3 60' I ran a pathetic 14.1 I am sure it would run a 13.8-7 with a half assed 60'). Yeah so the guy was not John Force or Ranger driving the car. You still beat him. From your times/trap speed even with those guys you would be neck and neck. Great kill.

FWIW, the LAST 3 women I have dated wanted me to get a BMW because they thought my Cobra had no class Nice car man!
Old 12-29-2006, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the comment bro!

I have found that i normally beat the driver and not the car. My little inline 6 does well for what it is in a straight line and few mods, so it is nice when i get a kill that normally should be a very good race.

My best time in the 1/4 is what is in my sig, but the run before the 13.61 i missed 4th and still ran a 13.71@102mph. I think with a new clutch i can get 13.5's and maybe even 13.4's depending on the weather.

If i got a custom dyno tune on it and some DR's then i don't think that a flat 13 would be to far away.

I like the turns though, so i will end up making my M3 my track car( road course) and have an LS1 for my fun daily driver.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:05 PM
***Repost Police***

Good times man

Quick Reply: My 95 M3 vs stock SVT Cobra