Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

new wrx vs SS

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 11:30 PM
M2N
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
youll win if you can drive decently (sp?)
i actaulyl have the same thing coming up, a junior at my high school bought a new WRX "TR" edition and thinks its gods gift to street racing, i asked him what the tr are stood for and he didnt know but he knew it was abnout 100lbs lighter than a stock one... i gotta get some money out of this kid
You have a camaro SS in high school? No offense but almost every post I read from you are barley believable.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:32 PM
M2N
Banned

Originally Posted by NIevo
A STI wont rape a stock LS1, it would have a hard time beating it period. The only time it would be ahead is the launch but the SS would pull it up top.
Says an evo owner, biased much?
Old 02-17-2007, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

as long as its not an STI you will totally *** rape him, even if its an STI he will get the jump on you but you should still win as long as your a descent driver....I raced an '04 WRX STI in my '02 M6 TA and all I had was catback, lid, and shifter and from a dig I put 3-4 lengths on it pretty quickly to about 70
Old 02-17-2007, 11:37 PM
M2N
Banned

Originally Posted by 01FormulaTA
as long as its not an STI you will totally *** rape him, even if its an STI he will get the jump on you but you should still win as long as your a descent driver....I raced an '04 WRX STI in my '02 M6 TA and all I had was catback, lid, and shifter and from a dig I put 3-4 lengths on it pretty quickly to about 70
Theres a huge difference between an 04 STi and a 06 STi. Am I the only Fbody owner who understands STis are actually pretty quick even stock? My LT1 runs low 13s and I got walked by a stock 06 STi up to 110, then I started to pull on him.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:41 PM
TECH Resident

The faster the race goes will be to your advantage, AWD loses its power the faster it goes from what I understand......should be a pretty convincing win for u if u launch & shift right
Old 02-18-2007, 02:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by M2N
You have a camaro SS in high school? No offense but almost every post I read from you are barley believable.
whats wrong with having an SS in high school? are you jealous that my daddy loves me more than your daddy loved you and bought me a better car? and for my area my SS isnt even that special... everyday i park next to a brand new M5 and a range rover sport, both driven by kids at my high school and bought for them not for the parents

Originally Posted by M2N
Theres a huge difference between an 04 STi and a 06 STi. Am I the only Fbody owner who understands STis are actually pretty quick even stock? My LT1 runs low 13s and I got walked by a stock 06 STi up to 110, then I started to pull on him.
i work on and modify STIs everyday.. I know there potential and know that given how the average person doesnt know how to get everything out of the Subi it is alot easier for the LS1 to win

for it to really be a problem the subi needs to be driven at an above average level to compete with an averagely driven LS1

Originally Posted by tspence45
All that's different about the TR is that it has a performance exhaust system from the factory, I dunno if it's lighter or not though.
its lighter i work at a subaru dealership
Old 02-18-2007, 09:09 AM
12 Second Club

The older STI's are heavier with 2.0l, the 06's while being lighter also have the advantage of the 2.5l displacement. Even stock my 06 STI pulled 6th gear hard. With TBE and 93octane map, this car is on another planet.

Disregarding all the idiot ricers who put BOV's on there car for the sound, and who can't fn drive anyway: Your average bolt on LS1 vs TBE mapped 06 STI: the STI will win from a dig and be drivers race from rolls.

I think there is alot of misconception on the turbo AWD cars top end. Sure there could be up to 10% higher loss from the AWD system vs the RWD. That would mean the AWD would:

a) have to be 10% lighter than the RWD car it is racing

or

b) have to make 10% more HP

Compared to my f-body my 06 STI is 400 pounds lighter: therefore it is slightly more than 10% lighter. So really against average weight F-bodies it is Hp vs HP and driver abillity to launch.

The STI/EVO has very short gears down low so yes that makes for a lower trap speed and an illusion of; slow on a roll from 30-120mph. But when a turbo car gets into higher gears (especially a turbo 6 speed) it is at max hp for much longer and at 120mph + that apparent lack of roll speed disappears.

Last edited by Blackbird39; 02-18-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:44 AM
12 Second Club

whats wrong with having an SS in high school? are you jealous that my daddy loves me more than your daddy loved you and bought me a better car? and for my area my SS isnt even that special... everyday i park next to a brand new M5 and a range rover sport, both driven by kids at my high school and bought for them not for the parents
You just showed us what is wrong with owning a ss in high school, you didn't buy it and therefore you take it for granted. You would appriciate that car a LOT more if you had to actually do something for it other than sweet talk daddy.

Back on topic, you'd have no problem beating a wrx. Half of the ones I see around have horrible drivers that bog the launch anyway. Race him, take his money and his pride.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:00 PM
M2N
Banned

i work on and modify STIs everyday.. I know there potential and know that given how the average person doesnt know how to get everything out of the Subi it is alot easier for the LS1 to win

for it to really be a problem the subi needs to be driven at an above average level to compete with an averagely driven LS1

its lighter i work at a subaru dealership
I would bet any money that everything you just said is 100% bullshit. Why even try, nobody on here believes you. BTW my parents are pretty wealthy and I still barley ended up with a bolt on LT1 camaro my sophomore year, then again im not a spoiled brat.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by M2N
I would bet any money that everything you just said is 100% bullshit. Why even try, nobody on here believes you. BTW my parents are pretty wealthy and I still barley ended up with a bolt on LT1 camaro my sophomore year, then again im not a spoiled brat.
Where do you live? Because i would be more than happy to bring you into the dealership and show you around, also i would get to show you the 560 awhp STI that me and the owners son just built...
and i worked my *** off to pay for half of my SS
Old 02-18-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The difference is that you have an LT1. Edge to the LS1 if they race past 100MPH.
Originally Posted by M2N
Old 02-18-2007, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a beautiful SS for just being in H.S.
Where do you live? Because i would be more than happy to bring you into the dealership and show you around, also i would get to show you the 560 awhp STI that me and the owners son just built...
and i worked my *** off to pay for half of my SS
Old 02-18-2007, 02:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by M2N
Ive seen bone stock 06 WRX's here go 13.7 to 14.0, you should pull him pretty hard. Oh and make sure he is 100% STOCK because he could be hiding a few things and easily be into the 12s. BTW I love Fbodys but a stock 06 STi would rape a stock SS, seen it happen a million times, especially if the STi driver knows how to launch.
I've driven a brand new STI a few months ago and wasn't really impressed by it. It was definitely a nice car and pulled very very nicely for a 4 cylinder, but it didn't compare to my f-body. Regular WRX is out of the question!

I also raced a brand new STI with paper plates on. We got on the highway and went from 55-60mph roll. I put few lengths on him by 110-120mph. He had a passanger and probably was still getting used to the car, but I left him pretty far back.

Never went against an STI from a dig, but based on how I was pulling away from the one I raced I think I would be able to close the gap that could possibly get from a dig and then get a little bit ahead as the speed would be rising. Also there aren't that many people that know how to get everything out of their AWD car from a dig and others simply don't want to abuse it. So chances to get pulled on from a dig are not that high, at least in my area. And then LS1's top end kicks in and you know what happens after that...
Old 02-18-2007, 05:50 PM
12 Second Club

^^^ your Firehawk has at least 345hp and maybe more if it is at all modded. With the passenger; the STI you raced gave up a significant portion of it's 10% weight advantage and you had more HP.

From a dig thru the 1/4 mile (even in the rain or on the street), that stock 300hp STI would be in the very low 13's and give you a race of a lifetime. These new turbo cars have ECU's that need to learn and adjust timing, your not going to get the best performance out of them when they are a new car.

With my F-body; which was a stage I GMMG Blackbird that had 380hp/400tq w/ 3.73 gears: I pulled a 12.95 1/4 mile @110mph. Granted, I was on street tires (but I did pull a 1.98 60'). I saw alot of stock and slightly modded F-bodies as well as slightly modded Mustang GT's struggling to get into the low 13's. And none except me hit 12's. A stock 06 STI can pull those times...........
Old 02-18-2007, 07:57 PM
Teching In

IBT the only way he could beat u is 1 u suck at driving, 2 the roads are slippery + raining or ice, 3 he lied to u and he has mods that put him in the 12's, or he slashes ur tires and runs away
Old 02-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by M2N
Ive seen bone stock 06 WRX's here go 13.7 to 14.0, you should pull him pretty hard. Oh and make sure he is 100% STOCK because he could be hiding a few things and easily be into the 12s. BTW I love Fbodys but a stock 06 STi would rape a stock SS, seen it happen a million times, especially if the STi driver knows how to launch.
STI raping a LS1?? If your talking about a short sprint maybe but the LS1 is the faster car once it builds up to speed. Now the EVO 9 MR would be an interesting race for a stock LS1 F-Bod. With that Mivec Turbo they got they're capable of running low 13's/high 12's trapping at 105+. I've seen a bone stock MR run a 12.9 at 106 stock.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by M2N
I hope you are joking...even though I don't think you are.

You really think a stock 06 STI will rape an SS?? Do you understand that an LS1 is not an LT1?? I think you are confused.

See, LS1's put down around 300WHP stock. They weigh ~3400lbs. They have 6 speed manuals. STI's put down around ~245WHP stock. They weigh ~3300lbs. They also have 6 speeds. Its a drivers race from a dig because the STI can launch hard, but from a roll its ownage by the LS1.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by M2N
Says an evo owner, biased much?
Nope, was going to get an STI before the Evo but the Evo had much better potential. I just know that a new Evo IX is faster then a STI and a drivers race with a LS1. Therefor LS1 is faster then an STI, alot depends on driver though.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:41 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blackbird39
^^^ your Firehawk has at least 345hp and maybe more if it is at all modded. With the passenger; the STI you raced gave up a significant portion of it's 10% weight advantage and you had more HP.

From a dig thru the 1/4 mile (even in the rain or on the street), that stock 300hp STI would be in the very low 13's and give you a race of a lifetime. These new turbo cars have ECU's that need to learn and adjust timing, your not going to get the best performance out of them when they are a new car.

With my F-body; which was a stage I GMMG Blackbird that had 380hp/400tq w/ 3.73 gears: I pulled a 12.95 1/4 mile @110mph. Granted, I was on street tires (but I did pull a 1.98 60'). I saw alot of stock and slightly modded F-bodies as well as slightly modded Mustang GT's struggling to get into the low 13's. And none except me hit 12's. A stock 06 STI can pull those times...........
I raced STI back when I had my Z28 with lid and a catback. My Z28 ran 12.92@110mph. No stock STI traps around 110mph, so I had a definite advantage from a roll. From a dig to a 1/4mi he would have to work very very hard and hope I have a so-so launch to beat me. Racing from a dig and given a perfect launch to the STI (which doesn't happen often) I would have to launch my car well, like I do most of the time, and just go through the gears. I would probably catch him after 8th mi and then put a few lengths on him towards the end of 1/4 mi. Anything above 1/4 would just get ugly for him.

And Hawk has a few mods with 330whp and 340tq, so I'm not too worried about stock or lightly modded STI's

Nope, was going to get an STI before the Evo but the Evo had much better potential. I just know that a new Evo IX is faster then a STI and a drivers race with a LS1. Therefor LS1 is faster then an STI, alot depends on driver though.
Driver's race from a dig.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:18 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NIevo
Please lets not get into this endless arguement. Believe me there are as many reasons for people to feel the STI has more potential than the EVO as you do that the EVO has more than the STI. These cars are so damn close that it really comes down to driver prefferance. If we were to talk stock 1/4 mile times (from reputable and unbiased sources). C&D has the 06 Evo MR at 4.5 sec 0-60 and 13.3sec 1/4mile. The 06 STI at 4.5 sec 0-60 and 13.0sec 1/4mile.

Originally Posted by OdessitPashka
I raced STI back when I had my Z28 with lid and a catback. My Z28 ran 12.92@110mph. No stock STI traps around 110mph, so I had a definite advantage from a roll. From a dig to a 1/4mi he would have to work very very hard and hope I have a so-so launch to beat me. Racing from a dig and given a perfect launch to the STI (which doesn't happen often) I would have to launch my car well, like I do most of the time, and just go through the gears. I would probably catch him after 8th mi and then put a few lengths on him towards the end of 1/4 mi. Anything above 1/4 would just get ugly for him.

And Hawk has a few mods with 330whp and 340tq, so I'm not too worried about stock or lightly modded STI's
Well 2 car length or so win from the Z28, that is about what one would expect from a slightly modded Z28 vs stock STI from a roll with passenger. And you are correct getting the most out of a STI is not easy, they have the most tricky shifting tranny I have ever driven. Man I miss my Tremmec M-6.

12.92 1/4 for the Z is moving out!! Really nice for only lid and catback. You were def. outpowering him. And getting a time like that with those few mods is a sign you are a very good driver. Do you ever go to commerce? I am planning to head down there to get a slip with my STI. They open for Fast Friday March 9th. it would be cool if a couple of you guys could make it. I would like to see how my TBE/tune does against your Firehawk, I think it would be an excellent race. A local car club that I belong to (Mountain Boost) is making a trip down there. So far we've got going: 2 STI's, an EVO a GT 500, and a 10sec Supra who is shooting for the 9's this time.