Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

First death in a while...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default First death in a while...

My friends hate me, because I always seem to get the good races.

I had just gotten done getting gas in the 'camaro, cause I was dropping it off at my parent's house since my apartment complex is paving the lot tomorrow, and was almost to the 'Rents when I saw a NEW Porsche 911 Turbo coming my way in the opposite lane. I always throw high-end sports car drivers a rev, just to mess with them, since they almost never race. I was dead wrong in this case.

The Porsche busts a U-turn in the MIDDLE OF THE ROAD, and comes after me. I cruised around the corner and headed towards the interstate. Got on I-85 and started heading north, with the Porsche in tow. We couldn't run yet, and were just kinda going with the flow until we got clear of traffic. Lo and behold a Crew Cab SRT10 pickup appears (with TX plates, I might add, wonder if it's anyone here), and wants a piece of the action.

The truck and the Porsche were still behind me when the road finally opened up in front of me. I was in the left most lane, (out of three) the Porsche was directly behind me, there was a car next to me, and the truck was behind the car in the lane next to me. The Porsche saw the opening, downshifted, and hauled *** around the car next to me into the open lane, we were at 85-90 mph. I already had it in 3rd, and nailed it hard.

The Porsche pulled on me, but not as hard as I thought. I nailed the limiter in 3rd and switched it to 4th, keeping the car at 1/2 throttle until 4th "caught", then nailed it hard again. I'm not sure what speed we got up to, but about 10 seconds before I cut out, I looked down and the needle was north of 140. The 911 Turbo got about 5 to 6 carlengths on me at around 150-ish. The SRT-10 wasn't doing too shabby, he was about 10 cars back when I cut out of it.

The 911 and I got off at the same exit, and headed through a shopping district (at the speed limit of course), gave each other a thumbs up, and headed on. When we got to the exit of the shopping district, we both took a right turn and headed back towards the interstate.

We both cruised next to each other for a minute, then he started hitting it just a little bit. I took the bait and kicked it at an 80 roll. I pulled all the way up through 3rd (about 130 mph), and let out, with him about 2 1/2 to 3 cars ahead. Right after we let out of it, on the opposite side of the interstate, some local cops were giving some poor guy a ticket, and were just STARING at the two of us. We got off at the next exit.

I got a chance to pull up next to the Porsche, and the 1st thing that the driver said to me was "You're not stock."
I laughed and told him what I had done to the car. He told me that I was the strongest Camaro he'd ever raced, I told him that there were some around here even faster, and he looked surprised.
I told him that I was glad to see someone with an expensive sports car not afraid to actually beat on it like most owners, and he replied; "I bought it to have fun with it."

We both gave a thumbs up and said "Take it easy."

It's nice to see exotic drivers who aren't ****** for a change.

The race REALLY made me wish I had the dry shot that I almost bought. Might've evened the odds a little bit...
Old 02-18-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you had fun. The Porsche driver sounds cool like he might be a REAL car enthusiast.(not the stereo type, I DRIVE A PORSCHE type of goofy d!ckweed).
Nice Death BTW.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:02 PM
10 Second Club

good death. nothing wrong with losing to a car of that stature.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Sounds like a lot of fun. Good death. I love to rev up to vettes, porsches, and anything else nice. I've only had one C5 ZO6 rev back, too bad he was turning. All the others, just look at me like they're too cool. They never get on it or anything, may as well buy a damn skittle if you're going to drive like grandma. It gets old killing ricers.....scratch that.......no it doesn't.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:45 PM
11 Second Club

I've revved up at Lambo drivers and they get pissed, like my car isn't good enough to rev at them.

I did catch an ***-whupping from a C6 Z06 a while back though.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Na I Dont Really Rev At The Exotics, But I Think Ima Start To
Old 02-20-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Great death..
Old 02-20-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice story, respectful death, and very happy to hear you had an encounter with a non-elitist.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I only rev rice. Maybe I need to get my hands dirty too, sounds like fun. Nice death!
Old 02-20-2007, 06:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice death.

I always rev a exotics. I had a GT 40 rev back once and i have ran two porsches. They cant believe they just lost to a camaro!
Old 02-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Teching In

Nice death. A respectable one too. Get dry shot and be ready for him next time.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:47 PM
Launching!

Sounds like it was a fun race! What stall do you have and what gearing?
Old 02-21-2007, 01:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SmaknaSS
Sounds like you had fun. The Porsche driver sounds cool like he might be a REAL car enthusiast.(not the stereo type, I DRIVE A PORSCHE type of goofy d!ckweed).
Nice Death BTW.
Yeah, that sounded pretty sick. Good death for sure.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

That reminds me of the time I ran a new bright red 997 Turbo that I met at a local car show. He thought it was THE car and he laughed at me and said there was no way on earth my Cobra would hang with him from a redlight. Boy was he wrong! And the bad thing is my car was sitting there on 15" SLICKS and skinnies (I had been to the track the night before and just didn't feel like taking the wheels off). Don't know what he was thinking!

But anyways to the original poster if you have trouble with traction in 4th gear with a 112mph trap speed then you definately need better tires!
Old 02-21-2007, 02:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
But anyways to the original poster if you have trouble with traction in 4th gear with a 112mph trap speed then you definately need better tires!

Old 02-21-2007, 05:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Formula_X
Sounds like it was a fun race! What stall do you have and what gearing?
TCI SSF 4000 with Precision 3.73 gears.

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
My average traps are actually up to high 113's/low 114's now.

I wasn't referring to losing traction, I was referring to the fact that letting the car go WOT on the 3-4 shift is not supposed to be good for a stock 4L60E, so I let it ease into gear. My trans only has the stall, cooler, and shift kit, with 80,000 miles, I don't want to risk it over a silly street race. Besides, the rear end is sick enough anyway, don't need anymore problems.

I WISH I had traction problems going into 4th. So far, the highest speed I've spun at on a kickdown is 65 mph on a cold road with cold tires.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:02 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
I only rev rice. Maybe I need to get my hands dirty too, sounds like fun. Nice death!
haha i always give rice the pipe...as soon as i see the fart can....let them know what a mans car looks and sounds like
Old 02-22-2007, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

Nice death. A fast car is about taking chances with other fast cars. I had a Porsche trying to get frisky about a week ago, it was killing me not to play but my children were in the car . I had been trying to bait a orangeish C6 ZO6 who wouldn't even look at me about a week earlier . I love the guy who's willing to play . I don't mind an ocassional *** whopping by a worthy opponent. Winning feels great but a loss sometimes happens. Whatcha gonna do? It's just fun, but keep it safe!
Old 02-22-2007, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

Great Death Man..

Also i will be at MMP the 9th of next month. I would like to run some more ls1 cars. They are always a good race.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 350znal
Great Death Man..

Also i will be at MMP the 9th of next month. I would like to run some more ls1 cars. They are always a good race.
You don't happen to have a Pearlescent paint job do you? If so, I think that I ran you a year and a half ago or so.