Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

?95? Eclipse GSX Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ?95? Eclipse GSX Turbo

I was drivin down to my girlfriends house last night at about 8pm, and on this open road, i pull up to a light and see one of my friends from school in his turbo'd (i think its stage 2) eclipse gsx. apparently its pretty quick, being turbo'd and AWD, so he flips a bitch and the light turns green almost immediatelly and we both take off. for being awd, the thing was very slow. he had a jump on me, but only till about 20-25mph. once i hit about 95, i slow down and let him catch up again, to try from a roll. its a big open road, why not. so he catches up and his friend in the passenger seat counts down, when he hits 0 we both step on it, i only had to get up to about 75 till there was football fields between us...we pull over and talk and i guess his 3rd gear is fucked up right...
Old 03-05-2007, 11:02 PM
12 Second Club

There's always an excuse with ricers. Nice kill though, any mods?
Old 03-05-2007, 11:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to defend them but.......DSM always have alot of trans problems with added power, and other owners beating on the car etc...

FYI DSMs are far from ricers, most only care about power and track times and dont bother to repaint there cars......dsmtuners.com learn a lil....

Evos,DSMs,Supras are much more comon to actally be FAST key word, sure theres alot of other modded imports, but those are the top 3 heavy hitters in the street racing world and putting down nice drag times.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:53 AM
TECH Junkie

evan where are you in seattle? u in highschool?
Old 03-06-2007, 04:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slick1851
Not to defend them but.......DSM always have alot of trans problems with added power, and other owners beating on the car etc...

FYI DSMs are far from ricers, most only care about power and track times and dont bother to repaint there cars......dsmtuners.com learn a lil....

Evos,DSMs,Supras are much more comon to actally be FAST key word, sure theres alot of other modded imports, but those are the top 3 heavy hitters in the street racing world and putting down nice drag times.
DSM is synonymous with POS.Everyone I have ever known who has had one has spent three times the amount of time with them parked and apart as driving.

Lately this seems to be the case with the LT1 too..but..still true.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:13 AM
TECH Regular

Nice kill, those little buggers can be scary fast though! I almost got a 1st GEN GS-T a LOOOONG time ago, then I rode/drove an LS1, .
Old 03-06-2007, 09:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
evan where are you in seattle? u in highschool?

fairwood, yeah kentridge
Old 03-06-2007, 10:16 AM
Teching In

nice kill. in my opinion, when you start going past 300whp, the drivetrain starts to become a problem. but thats only if its been abused. im in the 300's and my tranny is fine, knock on wood. it was probably an excuse for the bus lengths. just dont underestimate all those dsm's
Old 03-06-2007, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had one mess around with me on the road the first nice weekend of the year. I know there is a small handful of them in our area that are damned fast and as soon as heard his BOV I figured he was one and with the bald meats on the rear I didn't even want to try from a dig. He said his 2nd was messed up so he preferred a semi fast roll. We went from 60 mph and everytime I would hang with him until 100mph and he would walk away from me.

I ran into another a week after I got my TA and he said he just got done rebuilding the engine, and he is planning on doing the tranny next week because it is already on its way out. I walked him though, and that was still learning the gears in the M6.

The rule of two applies to them for sure, Fast, Cheap, or Reliable. Seems the third is never a option for them.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I raced one of those... He was all ya 280hp haha i said... Well i took his word and went... Train leghts between us... Good kill
Old 03-07-2007, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

whats dsm...i dont get it...
Old 03-07-2007, 12:43 AM
Launching!

If you're serious it's Diamond Star Motors. Talon, GSX, Sebring, etc. Drivetrain and trany FTL. Every single one I have ever known/raced/heard of has either 20k+ into it (therefore not really making that original car anymore), is on blocks/in the shop/ "**** it left the piece of **** in the ditch"- actual quote from a buddy of mine haha.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:06 AM
TECH Junkie

kentridge.. i think i ran against you guys probably at some invitationals or what not.. but right on nothing wrong with being king at your H/S. we should kick it some time!

on topic: my cousin who moved up to seattle just bought a 91 eclipse AWD. had a spun rod bearing so he rebuilt the motor and is thinking about a 16G.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:07 AM
Teching In

16g is a good turbo. shoul put him deep into the 12's with the right tuning and supporting mods of course. the talon, eclipse, and laser are the dsm triplets. nobody considers a sebring a dsm. evo's are the younger dsm's now.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by theroad64
DSM is synonymous with POS.Everyone I have ever known who has had one has spent three times the amount of time with them parked and apart as driving.

Lately this seems to be the case with the LT1 too..but..still true.

You dont think I know that? I had over 10k into mine but it was still fast bud...

RX7s are also shitty, but move out with a big turbo
Old 03-07-2007, 07:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MikeD101898
If you're serious it's Diamond Star Motors. Talon, GSX, Sebring, etc. Drivetrain and trany FTL. Every single one I have ever known/raced/heard of has either 20k+ into it (therefore not really making that original car anymore), is on blocks/in the shop/ "**** it left the piece of **** in the ditch"- actual quote from a buddy of mine haha.

Come back here when your out of the 12s with that junk T88
Old 03-07-2007, 08:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by theroad64
As much as I wanna defend em, the sad truth is, your right, lol. They can be made fast for real cheap but with all the issues you'll get out of em, it's still just a big money pit, but in this hobby what isn't?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dsmdoctor
16g is a good turbo. shoul put him deep into the 12's with the right tuning and supporting mods of course. the talon, eclipse, and laser are the dsm triplets. nobody considers a sebring a dsm. evo's are the younger dsm's now.
Even if the majority of people don't consider a Sebring a DSM, it is still stamped a Diamond Star Motors vehicle.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:16 AM
Launching!

Come back here when your out of the 12s with that junk T88
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA 12's? No sir.
2 step tune and 750 hp 12's?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Evan Poinsett
...(i think its stage 2) eclipse gsx.
FWIW, there are no "stages" associated with DSMs.
Originally Posted by dsmdoctor
evo's are the younger dsm's now.
Eh, "the younger 4G63s" would be a better. DSMs ended in 1999 with the last of the 2g Eclipses (Talon in '98 and Lasers in '94).