Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Top Gear - Shelby GT500 review (vid)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 01:41 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Finite1
Well lets comepare the LS2 C6 to the GT500 (because the Z06 is in another class of the GT500)

The c6 might not be faster, but it is a better made car because,
1. the light weight body makes the car more agile and more responsive.
2. the weight also makes the car more fun to drive
3. gas consumption is a true plus
4. although this is subjective, the Vette looks nicer inside and out.
5. automatic c6's have ran 12.2 on stock trim....

so a bone stock C6 lined up against one.. would the GT500 be a little worried?
I don't think the Mustang should ever be put in the same class as the Corvette, because it will never be a sports car. And Banana, the things JC was talking about with the C6Z06, is what I was saying... it's still not quite as complete a car as alot of people want, and they are willing to pay extra to get what they want. If you want to run low-mid 11s, look cool doing it, and you've always wanted a Corvette, you get a new Z06. But if you want an interior that is all hand-stitched leather aluminum and carbon fiber, quality that shows that no corners were cut, a stereo that would make Beethoven himself proud, real exclusivity (which matters to alot of people with money), AND that bilstering performance, the closest thing the US has had to that is the Ford GT, and it's not even made anymore. The Saleen S7 is also a very good example of a *complete* car. It does everything, and it does everything well. You just pay a price for it.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I don't think the Mustang should ever be put in the same class as the Corvette, because it will never be a sports car. And Banana, the things JC was talking about with the C6Z06, is what I was saying... it's still not quite as complete a car as alot of people want, and they are willing to pay extra to get what they want. If you want to run low-mid 11s, look cool doing it, and you've always wanted a Corvette, you get a new Z06. But if you want an interior that is all hand-stitched leather aluminum and carbon fiber, quality that shows that no corners were cut, a stereo that would make Beethoven himself proud, real exclusivity (which matters to alot of people with money), AND that bilstering performance, the closest thing the US has had to that is the Ford GT, and it's not even made anymore. The Saleen S7 is also a very good example of a *complete* car. It does everything, and it does everything well. You just pay a price for it.

True it is unfair to compare the cars together, but why shouldn't we since that is what Ford build this car for. It is not our faults they didnt do better R&D on the car to make it much lighter with a much tighter suspension to try to battle their number one foe.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

hit up a Porsche owners board.

they are kinda like us.

they just own Porsches.

Yeah but we outnumber them.

Not many middle class American's can afford something out of this line up:

Boxster 45.6k - 55.5k
Cayman 49.4k - 58.9k
911 71.3k - 122.9k

Those crazy *** prices are the reason Porsche is so profitable.

Plus they pronounce it all funny like. Anyway Perry *** drives one on Scrubs so I can't make fun of them to much.

About the GT-500 (as well as cars like the Dodge Viper and even the Z06 to a point) they aren't made for mainstream purchases.

I mean you have to be a real Mustang fan to buy the car, it is made to be a cool car with a neat engine.

Like the Viper, yeah it gets crap mileage and it handles like crap for a supercar but it is isn't supposed to be a F1 racer it is the new slapped together custom Shelby Cobra.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:49 PM
***Repost Police***

True it is unfair to compare the cars together, but why shouldn't we since that is what Ford build this car for. It is not our faults they didnt do better R&D on the car to make it much lighter with a much tighter suspension to try to battle their number one foe.
They didn't make it to compete with the Corvette, persay. They made it to be the benchmark for its class. Some dealers might say "Oh, this has more power than a Corvette" or some bullshit like that, but the reason Ford didn't try to make it more sportscar-like, is because they knew it never would be one.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so pretty much then. 03/04 Cobra > GT500.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:51 PM
11 Second Club

***** it, I'm buying a Fiat cause since its made in Europe its GOT to be better!
Old 03-07-2007, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wonder how the GT-500 competes up against the new Dodge Charger with the 425hp engine they are coming out with.

It would be a fun race to see those two heavy *** boats struggle old school style around a twisty road course.

Like watching a bear or boar competing against each other.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
***** it, I'm buying a Fiat cause since its made in Europe its GOT to be better!

You know Lotus make a car that costs around I believe 46k in the states and has almost no interior, very limited accessories and doesn't look that great.

But in the price class no car handles better from stock. Interesting.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:56 PM
***Repost Police***

The Elise? I saw one of those down in San Marcos a couple weeks ago. But I have to disagree about the looks. Sex...
Old 03-07-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Resident

I thought they changed the suspension on the Shelby, guess not.. oh well still looks mad good IMO..
Old 03-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Teching In

^^^^^ooops delete that comment I accidently posted on my bros name lol... Anyway yeah it looks mad good lol imo....
Old 03-07-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Elise kinda sucks, I almost bought one but it isn't that great of a deal.

It doesn't have that great of a hp/weight ratio; I hate Toyota engines. The deciding factor was the excessive cost so I just bought a Z06 instead. More bang for the buck and more functionality.

I still REALLY want an Elise but I just don't want to pay that much for a car that was designed almost soley for the track.

It's sorta like a professionally built kit car with a Toyota engine when you break it all down.

Anyway when you want to talk about crappy interiors Lotus takes the cake (because it sorta doesn't have one).
Old 03-07-2007, 02:06 PM
***Repost Police***

Before the Elise was changed and brought over here officially, there were companies do B-series Honda swaps into them, and I think they might have gone that way with the production model if the B-series motors were still in production. I think the Elise would be frickin' SWEET with a bolton/ECU K20Z1 though (RSX-S)... that car with 215-220rwhp would be disgusting
Old 03-07-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Before the Elise was changed and brought over here officially, there were companies do B-series Honda swaps into them, and I think they might have gone that way with the production model if the B-series motors were still in production. I think the Elise would be frickin' SWEET with a bolton/ECU K20Z1 though (RSX-S)... that car with 215-220rwhp would be disgusting

They could stick pretty much any engine in the world into the car to make it better. I hate the Toyota engine in my DD.

The car is seriously race ready and beyond when it comes to performance potential then they stick that POS into it.

Though for what is effectively a kit car it is a bit to pricey, especially when you start adding on what are basically essential options (price= ) to the car's hefty base price.

If I am not mistaken Lotus has a manufacturers custom shop right there that can even do Porsche V6 swaps into them. Done right there by the manufacturer under warranty.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SScott236
Yea but you are from california: you're not a real American.
Original

Last edited by Rossi17; 03-07-2007 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:09 PM
12 Second Club

Some of you guys need to lighten up. I mean look how we view the Brits. How many of you are imagining 300bhp/ton looking like this?

Old 03-07-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
Is that the same episode that they put the GT500 on that mobile dyno? Stupid schmuck doesn't even know the difference between fwhp and rwhp. ******* show is so biased. Next they'll say that a standard VW beetle handles and out accelrates a dodge viper. -Mark
Yeah! i went on the top gear site and pointed out that little error to them!
I don't think they'd put a BMW m5 on there and say it only makes 450
Old 03-07-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by B.W.
Some of you guys need to lighten up. I mean look how we view the Brits. How many of you are imagining 300bhp/ton looking like this?

WA HA HA HA HA!!!

Last edited by Genesis_26317; 03-07-2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Genesis, John Clease didnt write that article.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
Genesis, John Clease didnt write that article.

Oh hell I don't know anything about that stuff. I just posted it up on the site since someone asked.

I have always been a diehard Monty Python fan.

Besides if that "letter" had been from an American writer and had been Americanized (John Stewart for example) no one would have said anything anyway.