Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

C6 Z06(600hp) vs Skyline 650hp

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CuNfUzEd
Nothing turns on the girls out here like my SWEET mullet and champion bred pitbull in the back seat. What really gets them is when I open up the redneck convertable (T tops for all you Yankees) and let the mullet wave out the top like a victory flag! That right there my friend is how I do it.LOL
"Now ever since I can remember, I've been growing my Mullett..."
Old 04-11-2007, 08:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Azrael
Panties thrown by the Emo Metrosexual male STi and EVO owners don't count.

LOL It does if you like that sort of thing.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Let's see the old Skylines on the 'Ring and see if they're just "a good engine and that's it.":

7:28-7:40 - Porsche Carrera GT
7:40 - C6 Corvette Z06
7:40 - Mercedes SLR
7:43 - 996 Porsche 911 GT3 RS
7:43.5 - Lamborghini Murcielago
7:44 - Pagani Zonda C12S
7:46 - 996 Porsche 911 GT2
7:52 - Lamborghini Gallardo
7:56 - C5 Corvette Z06
7:56 - 996 Porsche 911 Turbo
8:13 — Dodge Viper SRT-10
8:22- Nissan R32GT-R
8:23 — Aston Martin DB7 GT
8:23 — Porsche 996 Carrera 4
8:24 — Subaru Impreza WRX STi
8:25 — Callaway C12
8:26 — Mercedes Benz SLK 32 AMG
8:26 — Nissan 350Z
8:28 — BMW M5
8:29 — Mercedes Benz CLK 55 AMG
8:34 — Acura NSX, 276 PS
8:35 — BMW M3 Coupe, 321 PS
8:35 — Brabus-Mercedes Benz C V8 Sportcoupé (02/2002)
8:37 — Honda NSX 3.0 (07/1991)
8:38 — Honda NSX 3.2 (08/1997)
8:38 — Mercedes Benz SL500
8:39 — Honda S2000 (01/2000)
8:39 — Morgan Aero 8 (04/2003)
8:40 — Holden GTS, on an in and out lap (2000)
8:40 — Chevrolet Corvette C5 Targa Automatic
8:42 — Lotus Exige (11/2000)
8:44 — Chevrolet Corvette C5
8:49 — Jaguar XKR Coupe
8:49 — Renault Clio Sport V6

I don't think the GT-R is "just an engine." Sorry.

The old R32 GT-R is faster than alot of AWESOME cars.

The fact that the new C6 and Viper are faster than the old GT-R's says alot about how awesome our Vette and Viper are in the twisties. It doesn't TAKE AWAY from the GT-R, it adds to them that they're even close... All these cars are badass.

And they're not all "supercars" either.
Where did you get that list? Which track are those times from and who did the testing? Just wondering.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BlackMagicC5
Where did you get that list? Which track are those times from and who did the testing? Just wondering.
Mostly from a Corvette site called: http://www.baileymotorsports.com/

Top Gear and all the magazine sites for some others...

A quick google search can net many more, too. They are all, however, the fastest time for each car the Nurburgring has clocked for these cars in stock trim. Many go for many attempts through many manufacturers, teams, journalists, drivers, etc. some try for a few attempts though less effort, obviously... Especially cars not from Europe at times.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You and I have very different definitions.
I have: world class overall, world class muscle car, world class sports, etc. etc. the list can go on into perpetuity.

Hell, my Z06 isn't even world class (for a track beater), have it primarily for the base sports car underpinnings, but it's as close as I want to get without shelling out for a GT2 or some nasty non-street stripper 930... in order to go hustling here and there when I can. One day my Z will be doing it's job, kicking *** and eating exotica, but currently, it's close, but not there.

How far off was that '32 off the C5Z? What 26 seconds or so? Also, unless they are driven by the respective company point man for racing, I take lap times with a grain-of-salt for good and bad.

My God... if GM hadn't gone cheap on the C5Z brakes with some crappy setup, then who the hell knows.

Sorry, I'll still view the Skylines as really just a motor/drivetrain. Yea it's really nice and all, but it's still bloated in my mind, what 3500+-20 lbs? sans driver etc. ?.
And the whole "Skyline legend" thing to go with it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Would I like to own one? **** yea I would, but for my criteria, it's off my agenda until I decide to do a highway steamroller.

I got no problem eating my own words if I'm ever burned by one on down the road or whatnot.

Last edited by OKcruising; 04-11-2007 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by OKcruising

Hell, my Z06 isn't even world class, bought it primarily for the base sports car underpinnings, but it's as close as I want to get without shelling out for a GT2 or some stripper 930... in order to go hustling here and there when I can.

How far off was that '32 off the C5Z? What 26 seconds or so? Also, unless they are driven by the respective company point man for racing, I take lap times with a grain-of-salt for good and bad.

My God... if GM hadn't gone cheap on the C5Z brakes with some crappy setup, then who the hell knows.

Sorry, I'll still view the Skylines as really just a motor/drivetrain. Yea it's really nice and all, but it's still bloated in my mind, what 3500+-20 lbs? sans driver etc. ?.
And the whole "Skyline legend" thing to go with it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Would I like to own one? **** yea I would, but for my criteria, it's off my agenda until I decide to do a highway steamroller.

I got no problem eating my own words if I'm ever burned by one on down the road or whatnot.
Many who autocross (NOT ME!!!) agree that what the Nurburgring has recorded is about as accurate and respectable as lap times go... Take them with a grain of salt? Sure... Other than driving each freaking car yourself one by one, is there a better way you'd like to recommend for estimated discussion?

You can say a Neon is faster than a Ferrari (two cars you haven't driven maybe) and deny all proof, all magazine articles, all videos, all the information and take it all with a grain of salt... I mean, how much do you wanna doubt? These were driven in most cases by their OWN manufacturers hiring the best drivers they could find for bragging rights... Why would they sabotage themselves???

BTW YOUR Z06 IS WORLD CLASS BUDDY.

Last edited by bboyferal; 04-11-2007 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Banned

JDM FTW Yo!
Old 04-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Banned

Oh yea and I love lamp...
Old 04-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Banned

And obviously post whoring.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:55 PM
***Repost Police***

I have: world class overall, world class muscle car, world class sports, etc. etc. the list can go on into perpetuity.

Hell, my Z06 isn't even world class (for a track beater), have it primarily for the base sports car underpinnings, but it's as close as I want to get without shelling out for a GT2 or some nasty non-street stripper 930... in order to go hustling here and there when I can. One day my Z will be doing it's job, kicking *** and eating exotica, but currently, it's close, but not there.

FWIW, the R32 had to run 16" wheels for a while because of homologation rules, which severely limited the size of its brakes.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, I'll start off with apologizing for being a dumbass.
1) Didn't see where you got the list, I'm just remembering a bunch of bickering over which driver does which, magazine editor vs. factory backed when I was into euro cars.
2) I'm very very narrow-sighted on somethings, didn't look at bigger picture, I just remembered the T1 VW bus and had a good laugh
3) after going back and reading a bunch of your posts, I've grown to envy your Maple Red/black wheel combo.

edit: the r32 ran like 320mm +- a few front brakes. the only other catchall is that it could get away with it much better because it was a good weight, right around 3200 lbs. I'll ask some skyline buddies and confirm or deny my idiocracy.

Last edited by OKcruising; 04-11-2007 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Banned

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=383342

IMO, these are far sexier, than a Vette! Can someone, post the pics, instead of going through supraforums?
Old 04-11-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jujitsu
http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=383342

IMO, these are far sexier, than a Vette! Can someone, post the pics, instead of going through supraforums?
Looks good, yes, but not nicer than a Vette. Sorry.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Yea, I'll start off with apologizing for being a dumbass.
1) Didn't see where you got the list, I'm just remembering a bunch of bickering over which driver does which, magazine editor vs. factory backed when I was into euro cars.
2) I'm very very narrow-sighted on somethings, didn't look at bigger picture, I just remembered the T1 VW bus and had a good laugh
3) after going back and reading a bunch of your posts, I've grown to envy your Maple Red/black wheel combo.

edit: the r32 ran like 320mm +- a few front brakes. the only other catchall is that it could get away with it much better because it was a good weight, right around 3200 lbs. I'll ask some skyline buddies and confirm or deny my idiocracy.
Haha... I love your view of things. You remind me of a close friend.

Don't envy my money pit please... It's a big red bitch that every day I pray doesn't get my *** divorced (Wife HATES the "car"). I hope I don't have to sell it but this year's been tough.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mmm... yea... about those pics... a Supra is far sexier looking.
I like cars how I like my ladies, with curves.

edit:
Don't let things get ya on the downside, it's when it stays in the same place that there's a problem. And things will turn out on the good for ya man.

My buddy is going through a nightmare I wouldn't wish on the most foul person with his RX7 LS1 swap.

Last edited by OKcruising; 04-11-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know I'll probably hurt some peoples feelings, but if your even putting a Skyline and a new Z06 in the same category, or even bothering to compare them at all, then you need to reconsider even bothering to be an American car enthusiast. To me a Skyline is just like a Supra, it gives all the ricers something to worship, but still has ricer qualities. I don't see whats so great about Skylines. They just remind me of an Evo, Integra or something along those lines. And I'll take the sound of the 427ci over those ridiculous ricer turbo sounds. I really hope I'm not alone.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:59 PM
TECH Regular

I know I'll probably hurt some peoples feelings, but if your even putting a Skyline and a new Z06 in the same category, or even bothering to compare them at all, then you need to reconsider even bothering to be an American car enthusiast. To me a Skyline is just like a Supra, it gives all the ricers something to worship, but still has ricer qualities. I don't see whats so great about Skylines. They just remind me of an Evo, Integra or something along those lines. And I'll take the sound of the 427ci over those ridiculous ricer turbo sounds. I really hope I'm not alone.
YEAH!!! WHAT HE SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Banned

Well, considering that the RB is far superior in everyway, to the LS7, gives me a reason to think otherwise. Plus, the chassis is superior as well.

Please dont make any comparisons to a civic or integra. This alone, shows your ignorance.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Nope.

I'll take a Vette over a Skyline anyday.

Sylistically, I suppose you could rate them among Supras and Evos etc. That's your tastes regarding looks.

However, to rank them likewise in regard to performance would be a VERY weak position.

Which one sounds better? I think a turbo V8 will always sound better, but since they are SUCH subjective opinions, opinions will vary and there is little merit to them aside from our own personal tastes, which is to say not much merit at all.

Concerning performance, there is much with which to merit the Skyline immune from these kinds of arguments, really. There's nothing subjective to what a car can do on a drag strip or road course... I hope you agree.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Banned

hahahhah RICE WINS!!!

Quick Reply: C6 Z06(600hp) vs Skyline 650hp