Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

street racing question...help me decide.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 11:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default street racing question...help me decide.

yea i read some post on this topic but wanted to get it straight. im looking at one or the other, h/c or supercharger, ill be playing more on the street than at the strip. what i understand is that the h/c will win the drag race at the strip or on the street and the supercharger will win the 50mph roll on. is this right? i dont want to strip the car (30th t/a) down to save weight, maybe just some little stuff. also do you guys race more from rollons or from a stop/very slow rollon when your cruisin. help me decide
Old 05-03-2003, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: street racing question...help me decide.

there are alot of questions to answer:
is this a daily driver or just weekender?
how much $$$ do you have to spend?
how is the rest of the car set up, ie better clutch, good suspension?
how fast are trying to go? 9's, 10's , 11's, 12's ?
Old 05-03-2003, 07:20 PM
TECH Junkie

i plan on getting a 12 bolt and a good clutch. im staying pump gas 93 octane. ill call it a "nice day driver" i dont want a extremely loud radical car, but definately have some sound to it. im thinking either 3:73's or 4:10's. i definatly wanna be low 11's aleast. its gonna look totally stock except tires on the rear.
Old 05-03-2003, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

i think your thinking more of turbos. Given 2 cars, a 500 hp blown car will prob be the same as a 500 hp h/c car.
Old 05-03-2003, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

im staying pump gas 93 octane. ill call it a "nice day driver" ... i definatly wanna be low 11's aleast. its gonna look totally stock except tires on the rear.
im thinking blower then. Most h/c low 11 sec cars arent great daily drivers. (unless they are using mild h/c and a nitrous setup to reach low 11's)
Old 05-03-2003, 07:39 PM
TECH Junkie

i was thinking a g5x2 and the lg motorsports heads package or the d1-sc procharger. the duration on that cam is 230/240@ .050. i dont know how radical that is in a ls1. the one in my irocz is 249/258@.050 and its very rowdy. i dont want the t/a to be like the irocz.
Old 05-03-2003, 10:39 PM
Teching In

I have a turbo on my car. I just got it about 2 weeks ago and havn't taken it to the track yet, but it's a great street car and a sleeper too. The turbo doesn't make any noise under regular driving, the exhaust sounds great and comes alive when I gun it, and the car kills from a roll. If I had better tires and a 12bolt, it would be great from the light too. I don't think H/C will be able to get you what you want without changing the feel of the car. My car feels stock under regular driving and becomes an animal under boost. You could also look into the superchargers as well. I prefered the turbo since it didn't make the whine that the supercharger does....
Old 05-03-2003, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

i was thinking a g5x2 and the lg motorsports heads package or the d1-sc procharger. the duration on that cam is 230/240@ .050. i dont know how radical that is in a ls1. the one in my irocz is 249/258@.050 and its very rowdy. i dont want the t/a to be like the irocz.
Just talk to a tuner before you do something like this. That cam you speak of is a fairly radical one and is designed for an NA application. When you go forced induction, the cam game totally changes. Sometimes your stock cam may be better than the one you mention above. I'm talking half out of my *** here so I would talk to someone who knows whats up before you do a cam AND forced induction.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

I have a turbo on my car. I just got it about 2 weeks ago and havn't taken it to the track yet, but it's a great street car and a sleeper too. The turbo doesn't make any noise under regular driving, the exhaust sounds great and comes alive when I gun it, and the car kills from a roll. If I had better tires and a 12bolt, it would be great from the light too. I don't think H/C will be able to get you what you want without changing the feel of the car. My car feels stock under regular driving and becomes an animal under boost. You could also look into the superchargers as well. I prefered the turbo since it didn't make the whine that the supercharger does....
How much was the turbo kit including installation