Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Street racing-Rolls vs. Digs

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 02:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
wow that is probably the single most intelligent thing you could do to your car
I would like to ride in his car when he did that.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think it all depends on how that car is set up. I have a stalled auto with sticky tires out back so most naturally I want to go from a dig since I dont have the power to even really pull on a slightly modded m6 car. As soon as I get my headers,100shot.cam installed then I would feel a little more comfortable going from lets say a 45-55 hit. It also seems most of the roll race's I get into are in the worst possible spot I can start out in witch is usally 35-40mph So maybe thats why I dont like it. I do also strongly agree that the real way to find out whos faster is from a roll. Im sure weve all seen 350rwhp stalled autos outrun 430rwhp cars from a dig most naturally and then the stalled auto guy thinks his car is big **** but wont race on the highway. I seen this happen a few times espicialy with a former buddie of mine. He had a basic bolt on ss with a 150shot with a 3600 stall. When that car left on the et streets and started spraying he had very few if any cars ever pass him, but on a roll it was a totally different story he had no chance of catching up. So its pretty obvious that the way to find out whos the fastest is from a roll and the quickest car would be from the dig.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 95_formula
I would like to ride in his car when he did that.
better get it soon, its not going to be driving for very long
Old 09-12-2007, 08:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 95_formula
pro stock because they will do 215

What if they took the restrictor plates off
Old 09-12-2007, 08:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99Silverado5.3
What a f-ing moron, viper wasn't even staged and he started banking it off rev limiter...threw up a little in my mouth at that sound of it as well (or maybe it was the look)
That is a two step genius. Although he could have certainly waited for the guy int he viper to get into the beams.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ogermax
What if they took the restrictor plates off

???????????????????????????????

There are no restrictor plates in Pro Stock.

If you would have said Nextel Cup, I would be agreeing with you.

after I read further into this, I am making my edit:

NASCAR and the NHRA are two different things. Those 358's go 500 miles with NEVER getting out of the gas except for a pit stop. NHRA Pro Stockers now make 1,490 hp with 500".

TWO completely different things that can NOT be compared because they seem to be around the SAME top speed.

idiots.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:15 AM
12 Second Club

lol at the stalled autos saying a dig is the only way to go, and m6's saying the opposite. i prefer a car to do both, but its whatever you enjoy. me personally, when i finally get finished with the nova it will be a dig only car (stalled th-350 + gears = **** for rolls), and in the z28, i usually only run from a roll (m6) i will run from a dig occasionaly, but this car is my daily driver, and i do not want to put sticky tires on it and grenade my rear and not be able to drive the speed limit in the rain. eventually i will have the money to build the z as well, and it WILL be set up to run from a dig, with the m6 still
Old 09-12-2007, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gsrhunter
This has already been addressed.... that just means you aren't making enough power!!!
so a 7 second drag radial car doesnt make enough power?
Old 09-12-2007, 12:37 PM
11 Second Club

Dig! occasionally ill do a low roll, but my car shines best from a dead!
Old 09-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dynotune04
so a 7 second drag radial car doesnt make enough power?
Wow.... Thats impressive... I would love for you to show me a car that did 7's on true drag radials..... then i'll show you that same car running 9's on the street!!! LOL
Old 09-12-2007, 03:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Old 09-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BigBronco
???????????????????????????????

There are no restrictor plates in Pro Stock.

If you would have said Nextel Cup, I would be agreeing with you.

after I read further into this, I am making my edit:

NASCAR and the NHRA are two different things. Those 358's go 500 miles with NEVER getting out of the gas except for a pit stop. NHRA Pro Stockers now make 1,490 hp with 500".

TWO completely different things that can NOT be compared because they seem to be around the SAME top speed.

idiots.

I know, thats why I used it as an example. People have different opinion of what a fast car is. Some like the long race ( Roll racing ) some like 1/4 mile (dig racing ). If two types of car are 200 mph capable,is one any less fast because it takes him longer to achieve that speed ? But to get back on the topic a dig race requires driver skill and to me is more gratifying when you win. Roll racing is more of a punch it and hang on, equaly as fun because your usually going faster longer. Either way a win is a win.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
wow that is probably the single most intelligent thing you could do to your car
wasn't spraying while it was in the rev liimter, besides already had many many new parts ordered.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow.... Thats impressive... I would love for you to show me a car that did 7's on true drag radials..... then i'll show you that same car running 9's on the street!!! LOL
7's is "common" now for turbo cars on a drag radial.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

thank you unit
Old 09-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Roll races show you which car is actually has more power. I like to go from a dig but u almost have to have a good clutch and tires or its pointless. I think once you get so fast it's not right to say it takes more driver skill to go from a dig, because its gonna spin no matter whos driving it
Old 09-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Launching!

IMO which car is "faster" is the car that completes a race course of some kind in the lesser amount of time. We could start slapping crap brakes, narrow tires all around and such and by roll racing standards we would be getting faster. Yet the car would be slower in everyway that matter as far as I am concerned. It now cant get traction at lower speeds, it handles like crap (which can be a problem since roll racing does not take place on a closed strait course) and its cant decelerate well.

Roll racing is about which engine is faster. Real racing is about which car and driver is faster.

Cars are chassis and gear box and suspension and engine and controll interface and brakes.

Engines are engines.

A race implies some sort of sport. Motor Sport. Sports require skill and various abilities. Like dig racing.

For those that want to lay down serious power and all, there is the standing mile, which is growing in popularity. Now the launch is not quite as critical.

Edit:
I think what I am getting at is this: Yes it is harder to run well from a dig. Its not supposed to be easy. If football were totaly easy to do well would millions of people watch the SuperBowl? If it was a peice of cake to run 10s, would it be a noteable thing to do it in a street car?

Easier does not mean better. I would rather do something hard well. Otherwise where is the acheivement?
Old 09-12-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v

no big deal... only putting 900 hp to the ground on a 28x10.5

Shift it at 9,700 rpm.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Drag Radial Record
7.408 @ 197.62
on 325/50 MT Drag Radial @ 3295lbs
Old 09-12-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I like both but end up roll racing most of the time because of the lack a good road to dig from, my car is decent at both it likes a 40-50kick and can hook and go from a dig with nitto 55rs