Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Firehawk vs. Turbo Eclipse *VIDEO*

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DopdBrd
I thought GST's were all AWD? I'm probably wrong, I don't know much about imports.

You held him off pretty nice before he hit full boost. Listen to everyone else, a 100 shot will hold him off for good.
for eclipses, gst = fwd turbo, gsx = awd turbo
Old 09-27-2007, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got Lag?
Old 09-27-2007, 06:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DopdBrd
I thought GST's were all AWD? I'm probably wrong, I don't know much about imports.

You held him off pretty nice before he hit full boost. Listen to everyone else, a 100 shot will hold him off for good.
This is assuming the DSM doesnt add anything either.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by capn smokey
WTF??
yea....I meant 350awhp eclipse. You know what I meant.

-Brian
Old 09-27-2007, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Good race. Shoot it will 100 and take him from a dig, he will never catch you even with race gas and more boost unless hes running stickeys in the front and skinnies in the rear.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ChrisUlrich
Bullseye (Borg Warner)all the way baby... F*ck Garrett!
I just wonder how much is given up by running the BEP housing over a mild AR T3. I have yet to see much in the way of hard and fast numbers, but the general consensus is that a T3 hotside flows more.

But gawd, going full Garret gets pricey fast. The BEP stuff and even the FP stuff is so tempting for that reason. Everytime I really look at it (about once a week LOL) I drive my 16G car and enjoy simple near instaboost and its hard to swallow shelling out a grand and a half.

Sorry for the off topic guys.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Sparetire I was in the same situation you was in a couple of months ago. I wanted a 61mm turbo, and couldnt decide if i wanted the SCM61 (M stands for mitsu bolt on) or SC61 turbo (standard t3). After alot of research I came to the conclusion that T3-T4 is the only way to make real power, meaning 480+hp. The bolt on turbos mainly (BEP,Precision) just dont flow enough on the hotside to put out decent numbers. On the other hand you can go with something like a FP3065 which is lightyears ahead of the "regular" bolt ons, they are the only ones that are making alot of power on a complete bolt on turbo, but at the sametime your also going to pay for it. There turbo's are real expensive, you can do your own T3 setup for cheaper and make more power. Im all for T3 setups...the bolt ons just dont flow well up top to make enough power. If your familar with dsmlink, pm me...ive got logs you can view of SCM61 vs SC61 turbos at the same boost level...my 2.0 flows more lbs/min then an SCM 2.3L does at the same boost level.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by firebirdvert305
Sparetire I was in the same situation you was in a couple of months ago. I wanted a 61mm turbo, and couldnt decide if i wanted the SCM61 (M stands for mitsu bolt on) or SC61 turbo (standard t3). After alot of research I came to the conclusion that T3-T4 is the only way to make real power, meaning 480+hp. The bolt on turbos mainly (BEP,Precision) just dont flow enough on the hotside to put out decent numbers. On the other hand you can go with something like a FP3065 which is lightyears ahead of the "regular" bolt ons, they are the only ones that are making alot of power on a complete bolt on turbo, but at the sametime your also going to pay for it. There turbo's are real expensive, you can do your own T3 setup for cheaper and make more power. Im all for T3 setups...the bolt ons just dont flow well up top to make enough power. If your familar with dsmlink, pm me...ive got logs you can view of SCM61 vs SC61 turbos at the same boost level...my 2.0 flows more lbs/min then an SCM 2.3L does at the same boost level.
You do realise that people were running 10s back in the day with 20gs, right? Mitsu footprint turbos can make plenty of power, you just have to know how to tune. T3 or T4 footprints just make it easier.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just by the video u can see he has an ugly body kit and altezzas, **** id leave it stock looking on the outside if i had that car.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

Vid didn't work for me.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by XakEp
You do realise that people were running 10s back in the day with 20gs, right? Mitsu footprint turbos can make plenty of power, you just have to know how to tune. T3 or T4 footprints just make it easier.
People were running 10's back in the day with 20g's...b/c mainly that was the only thing that was available back in 1991. You had a choice in going fast you could go 20G or use a frankenstein turbo which was probley based off a 20g. Technology w/turbochargers has evolved immensely, I myself am running 33psi on my SC61, take it for what its worth. Ive ran more boost, more timing on my SC61 then I ever could on my 16g/20g on pump gas.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Dude.. A GST with a Quaife, and Slicks cab Launch pretty well.. In fact the lighter weight of the FWD platform (with a Good lsd) can launch in the 1.6 range if set up right .. (with stutterbox feature ). Froma roll (what was displayed) a T will bust a X if all things are equal...
Old 09-28-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They have laptop program that gives you both two step off the line which gives small amounts of boost but still helps over no two step and something called antilag which can give you like 20psi off the line. And also they have no lift to shift which helps you keep the turbos spooled up between shifts.Ball bearing turbos also spin up pretty fast and stay spooled better. Other tricks can also help spool up. Tuning, lighter flywheels,etc.
If you are in higher gear like three in town a quick downshift to second and you have lots of boost at your command. Ditto on highway just bang down to fourth from fifth.
Autos need a good size stall to help them leave the line.
Fwd of course is super hard to hook up. Even with my current 275 to 300 engine hp 91 laser fwd turbo I would need nittos or slicks to get any decent hook up.
The awd can do fanstastic 60fts on street tires talking 1.7 and better pretty easily.
And that guy is running not much power for gt 30 type rear wheel. The key is to run alc injection or e85 is the new hotness to allow you to run race gas boost levels on the street with lots of timing and lean afrs.
I love both dsms and f bodies. I am buidling a wild race 91 auto awd turbo track only car,Have my super modded up 97 talon awd and obviously love my f bodies too.
My 99 twin turbo ta should be my fastest car but my 91 race talon and 97 street talon should both be easy 11 to 10 second cars when finished up.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:16 PM
Banned

People were running 10's back in the day with 20g's...b/c mainly that was the only thing that was available back in 1991. You had a choice in going fast you could go 20G or use a frankenstein turbo which was probley based off a 20g. Technology w/turbochargers has evolved immensely, I myself am running 33psi on my SC61, take it for what its worth. Ive ran more boost, more timing on my SC61 then I ever could on my 16g/20g on pump gas.
T3 turbos have been around for ages. People werent using them back then because they hadnt thought of it. I personally have an SC63 (T3) on my 2.4L DSM.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:04 PM
Teching In

T3 turbos have been around for ages. People werent using them back then because they hadnt thought of it. I personally have an SC63 (T3) on my 2.4L DSM.
I agree, HKS made a manifold for a T4 but back then prices were real expensive compared to todays standards. What are you tuning with? What backhousing are you using .82 is my guess? My friend gotta full T4,T67 2.4, how are you liking the setup? I rode in once since I remember that car has massive torque with great topend. Good luck w/it in the future.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Banned

I agree, HKS made a manifold for a T4 but back then prices were real expensive compared to todays standards. What are you tuning with? What backhousing are you using .82 is my guess? My friend gotta full T4,T67 2.4, how are you liking the setup? I rode in once since I remember that car has massive torque with great topend. Good luck w/it in the future.
Ongreen performance is making the HKS style manifolds again, for a pretty good price. Personally I'm using a Turbonetics manifold thats been cryo treated, I like it. The turbine housing (backend) is a 4 bolt discharge .82 A/R. Spool is good and whenever it dies I'll prolly just put in a T67 with a T3 housing. I'll never go small shaft again, these big shaft turbos have alot more longevity to them when you push high boost.

I like it, but you're never done modding.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Ongreen performance is making the HKS style manifolds again, for a pretty good price. Personally I'm using a Turbonetics manifold thats been cryo treated, I like it. The turbine housing (backend) is a 4 bolt discharge .82 A/R. Spool is good and whenever it dies I'll prolly just put in a T67 with a T3 housing. I'll never go small shaft again, these big shaft turbos have alot more longevity to them when you push high boost.

I like it, but you're never done modding.
Well said, I knew when you said SC63 you had the big shaft, ive heard numerous people on link forums saying they snapped the small ones at higher boost pressures. I run the same manifold you do, .63 SC61, love it. Eventually i want to goto a shearer topmount 4094 setup, thats the ultimate goal.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:49 PM
Banned

Well said, I knew when you said SC63 you had the big shaft, ive heard numerous people on link forums saying they snapped the small ones at higher boost pressures. I run the same manifold you do, .63 SC61, love it. Eventually i want to goto a shearer topmount 4094 setup, thats the ultimate goal.
Why go topmount? No performance difference and its a pain to run a 3" downpipe. Get a cast manifold, portmatch it and go. Anything else is expensive and complicated.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

RS = Base Level N/A
GS = Better Equipped N/A
GST = FWD Turbo
GSX = AWD Turbo
Old 10-01-2007, 10:04 AM
Banned

RS = Real Slow
GS = Generally Slow