Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

01 SS VS SRT8 Charger

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 12:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSmokin99

I got the camera!
I don't remember talking to him about racing. I was thinking he got me and you mixed up since you usually want to race more than me
Old 10-23-2007, 08:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by capn smokey
Those are pretty bad numbers, a ls1 f-body has around .33/.34 and has a frontal area of 23sq ft. The numbers you stated for the srt-8 are comparable to a small truck. Btw I let the srt-8 get the jump and still pulled by him effortlessly, I knew I would wax him but I just wanted to see how bad and it was much worse than my friends stock LS1 cars. I can see a srt-8 taking a bone stock LS1 car from a dig but from a roll it should get beat.
A difference of 2.8 sq ft isn't a lot.

You have it backwards - the solid-axle, weight and consistency will help the LS-1 take it off the line, from a roll is where the SRT-8 shines.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by King Nothing
i've seen 98-99 LS1's have shitty numbers o i'm not surprised by it feelin faster than yours. i raced a stock SRT8 charger when i had Lid, SB, Y-pipe and LM1 and i easily beat him by acouple cars . . . or course he wasn't too happy hahaha but i haven't run into one that wants to race since i put my LS6 and TB on.
Mine actually put down fairly decent numbers. It dynoed approx. 315 rwhp with full bolt ons prior to my cam being install so although it wasnt on the high side (325-330+ rwhp) it definately wasnt bad. Im not saying my z28 wouldnt have hung with/beat an srt-8, but from a roll the srt-8 charger felt faster. Again not saying it is faster 1/4 mile time but it felt on par/slightly faster from a roll than my bolt on z28.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Mine actually put down fairly decent numbers. It dynoed approx. 315 rwhp with full bolt ons prior to my cam being install so although it wasnt on the high side (325-330+ rwhp) it definately wasnt bad. Im not saying my z28 wouldnt have hung with/beat an srt-8, but from a roll the srt-8 charger felt faster. Again not saying it is faster 1/4 mile time but it felt on par/slightly faster from a roll than my bolt on z28.
315???? full bolt on's: full intake full exhaust? i dynoed 311rwhp with just my lid, bellows, slyp y-pipe and LM1 i haven't dynoed or got a tune since i installed the ported LS6 and ported TB. anyway good luck on gettin that SRT8
Old 10-26-2007, 07:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by King Nothing
315???? full bolt on's: full intake full exhaust? i dynoed 311rwhp with just my lid, bellows, slyp y-pipe and LM1 i haven't dynoed or got a tune since i installed the ported LS6 and ported TB. anyway good luck on gettin that SRT8
315 rwhp was minus the ls6 intake, that didnt go on till my cam install. Thing is though all dynos read differently. I have seen people claim 345+ rwhp with basic bolt ons (lid, headers, ory, catback, ls6) so again it depends on the dyno and what it reads. Im certainly not buying an srt-8 anytime soon. I have my mind set on a C5 FRC for my next build. Either that or another f-body. Im basically going to be looking for a shell to drop in either an ls2 402 stroker or a 427 LSX running either a S80+ turbo or an F1 procharger. Im leaning towards the f-body due to the fact that a vette shell is going to cost more than double that of an f-body, plus im a sucker for f-bodies. Srt-8's are nice, and fast, just not what i want for my next build.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

The SRT is just far too heavy and big to take advantage of a powertrain like that.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Finally Had a chance to run the Srt8 charger yesterday, but i'm still getting used to my 01 SS. For some reason he was behind me and i was in thrid but i wanted second, but the tranny is having a problem going into second unless i shift from 1st that is basically the only way it will go into gear. If i want to down shift i have to force it into second which is really pissing me off! i'm still going to try him in about a week when i see him again. oh how much is it to rebuild my tranny?
Old 10-30-2007, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by randyp83
Finally Had a chance to run the Srt8 charger yesterday, but i'm still getting used to my 01 SS. For some reason he was behind me and i was in thrid but i wanted second, but the tranny is having a problem going into second unless i shift from 1st that is basically the only way it will go into gear. If i want to down shift i have to force it into second which is really pissing me off! i'm still going to try him in about a week when i see him again. oh how much is it to rebuild my tranny?
Did you beat him?
Old 10-31-2007, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
Did you beat him?
I didn't run him but he showed he was ready by passing me pretty quick. I'm still trying to get used to driving my car so i won't have any excuses when the time comes.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think it will be a close race.