Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Close death by EVO 9. What mods did he have?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Close death by EVO 9. What mods did he have?

Details:

Me: 99ls1 m6, 1 passenger(160lbs or so), lid, P&P TB, ls6 intake, LT's, TD's. UN-TUNED

Him: Very clean, newer EVO9 MR. No passenger, unknown mods except a very nice looking exhaust, possibly stainless. Also when we let off after races, I could see flames outta his exhaust. No noticable BOV, so this guy clearly wasn't a ricer. He made smart mods, and didnt go with a squeeky BOV

All races 70-120, me starting in 3rd gear

Race1- Even jump, even race
Race2- He jumps, he slowly slowly pulls. I mean barely pulling, but I cant stop his pull. My front tire at his rear tire when we stop.
Race3- Same as race 2, but his pull is ever so slightly better. My front bumper at his rear bumper

Very close races, cool dude. We gave eachother the thumbs up when he got off the freeway. We had alot of open freeway in front of us because of the fires around here.

Looks like ill be ordering my oil pump to complete my cam install...

But I was wondering, to any one who knows much about the EVO's, what mods do you think he would have had to run with my mods? I'm sure its not much, as I know those things are easy to make fast. Im glad I caught him for a roll race, as a dig race would have been ugly lol

First loss since bolt ons. There arent very many fast cars on my commute. Ive killed stockish evo 8/9's, skittles, and an STI with a carbon hood and exhaust, ect.

Fun race! I dont mind losing
Old 10-23-2007, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LivingCanvas
Details:

Me: 99ls1 m6, 1 passenger(160lbs or so), lid, P&P TB, ls6 intake, LT's, TD's. UN-TUNED

Him: Very clean, newer EVO9 MR. No passenger, unknown mods except a very nice looking exhaust, possibly stainless. Also when we let off after races, I could see flames outta his exhaust. No noticable BOV, so this guy clearly wasn't a ricer. He made smart mods, and didnt go with a squeeky BOV

All races 70-120, me starting in 3rd gear

Race1- Even jump, even race
Race2- He jumps, he slowly slowly pulls. I mean barely pulling, but I cant stop his pull. My front tire at his rear tire when we stop.
Race3- Same as race 2, but his pull is ever so slightly better. My front bumper at his rear bumper

Very close races, cool dude. We gave eachother the thumbs up when he got off the freeway. We had alot of open freeway in front of us because of the fires around here.

Looks like ill be ordering my oil pump to complete my cam install...

But I was wondering, to any one who knows much about the EVO's, what mods do you think he would have had to run with my mods? I'm sure its not much, as I know those things are easy to make fast. Im glad I caught him for a roll race, as a dig race would have been ugly lol

First loss since bolt ons. There arent very many fast cars on my commute. Ive killed stockish evo 8/9's, skittles, and an STI with a carbon hood and exhaust, ect.

Fun race! I dont mind losing
Nice death Evo's arn't slow I think the 9 MR is 350 (bhp) stock.

To add to it there not that hard to make stupid fast at a resonable price Intake exhaust and boost controller will take up a nice bit.

As for the exhaust systems they have a lot of really nice choices, if it wasn't an obnoxious sound it was prob a turbo back.

Where you live in Socal? I'm around the aliso area...
Old 10-23-2007, 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

Details:

Race again with no passenger and get a tune . the tune about 20 hp or more and less lbs closer race

Nice death
Evo's are sick cars with a couple of mods wakes them up. dam AWD

OOOOHH yeah video the race next time
Old 10-23-2007, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well your first problem is starting in 3rd at 70. bang that bitch in 2nd and pull out then shift.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Second goes to 70? Damn it! that would've helped....I pwned myself haha

Akira, Im in apple valley and san bernardino....I commute between the two
Old 10-23-2007, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably a basic bolt on Evo (intake and exhaust), maybe an ecu flash/tune. I would get slowly walked by my buddy in his evo 8 MR when I only had bolt ons (slp LM, headers, lid) and he was running a full turbo back and an ecu flash/tune giving him 2 more psi over stock. Good death and get that cam in!
Old 10-23-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah that reminds me.... *heading to TSP's website*
Old 10-23-2007, 03:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I slowly pulled an EVO 8 that had: Intake/Turboback/BOV/Tune @ 22 psi on stock turbo in my catback only GTO. It was a VERY close race.

Last edited by necrocannibal; 10-23-2007 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Akira_X
Nice death Evo's arn't slow I think the 9 MR is 350 (bhp) stock.

To add to it there not that hard to make stupid fast at a resonable price Intake exhaust and boost controller will take up a nice bit.

As for the exhaust systems they have a lot of really nice choices, if it wasn't an obnoxious sound it was prob a turbo back.

Where you live in Socal? I'm around the aliso area...
Sorry its 286hp 289tq, the one he raced was probably bpu. Or maybe a nicer build on low boost or a street tune.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:20 PM
Teching In

What are your 1/4 mile times with your current mods? An evo IX is a 13.3 second car from the factory. A simple boost controller or piggyback computer and he's in the 12's.

Great story, thanks for sharing. These are the Motor Trend test numbers on the evo-
________________________________ 0-60 1/4 mile
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 4.5 13.3 (MT Dec '05)
Old 10-23-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I only went to the track once, on a 100 degree day, on sumitomo tires......and i suck at launching the m6, so i'd rather not post my times hahaha. But since this was a roll race, the street tires bad launch thing is out the window, since I can shift fairly fast. Good drivers on good tires in cars modded like mine can get mid 12's easy.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

where did u run him??? was it a red MR....?
Old 10-23-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No it was black, with dark colored wheels, possibly black also. Ran going north up the I-15 through the cajon pass
Old 10-23-2007, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oh ran a similar car but had about 22 PSI, i thing meth injection and full bolt ons.... he beat a buddies LS1 427 ci but the LS1 car never really hooked...but a race is a race... proably had all mentioned above so get some cam and heads and pull on his his ***....
Old 10-23-2007, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by capn smokey
Sorry its 286hp 289tq, the one he raced was probably bpu. Or maybe a nicer build on low boost or a street tune.
Ah yea your right it appears that only the euro spec is 350
Old 10-23-2007, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Second goes to 70? Damn it! that would've helped....I pwned myself haha

Akira, Im in apple valley and san bernardino....I commute between the two
Ah chill I go to san bern for raves every now and than
Old 10-23-2007, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Good death, leave the passenger and get it front. Get the cam and tune and kill him.

Originally Posted by 1SLO6
oh ran a similar car but had about 22 PSI, i thing meth injection and full bolt ons.... he beat a buddies LS1 427 ci but the LS1 car never really hooked...but a race is a race... proably had all mentioned above so get some cam and heads and pull on his his ***....
Since, a 427 should be close to 600hp, I think he sould have kicked his *** easily

I think it takes a lot more than 22psi on stock turbo to kill a monster 427ci LS1!!! I guess you are right about the 427 spinning all race long.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, my brother and I work at the same place, and we were on our way home. Good thing he's not fat lol.

....I also ordered everything I need for the cam swap today. Soon as it gets here I can bust it out in a weekend....then hopefully I see the guy again. Knowing my luck he'll have gotten some cams and more boost haha
Old 10-24-2007, 12:03 AM
Teching In

The EVO IX definitely had a flash and probably had exhaust/intake.

Nice death! I think you would've been even or you would've slowly pulled with no passenger.

-M
Old 10-24-2007, 12:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by scottp999
What are your 1/4 mile times with your current mods? An evo IX is a 13.3 second car from the factory. A simple boost controller or piggyback computer and he's in the 12's.

Great story, thanks for sharing. These are the Motor Trend test numbers on the evo-
________________________________ 0-60 1/4 mile
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 4.5 13.3 (MT Dec '05)
Yeah but LS1s out-mph them bad so from a roll a stock f-bod can usually beat a stock evo pretty bad.