On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice kill
Old 11-09-2007, 05:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bad6as
so is that a bigger the stock turbo?
Yah lol im not going to put a smaller one on !!!! Seriously tho yes it is bigger I can't remember the exact dimensions as far as mm but IRC the stock one is around 39mm and the 20g is around 50 mm.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:24 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't laugh man, some people do!!! People who are strictly into things like auto-x keep the smaller turbos and just do meth injection. The same applies as turbo'ed LSx's, with a bigger turbo you have slower spool. So, if you want quck and zippy with no real topend you keep the smaller size turbo. The meth will just add power to the set up.

I'd love to have a 30r with meth, but I plan on keeping my STi a DD. That means keeping the stock turbo or slightly larger(like your 20g) with a conservative tune. If I go all out(I doubt it 'cause I'd rather a vette over a built STi) I'd do a 35r with built motor. Only problem is the cost...BIG $$$$.....and then it won't be a DD any more.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:10 PM
11 Second Club

so from a roll i could take a 360awhp sti
Old 11-10-2007, 08:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bad6as
so from a roll i could take a 360awhp sti
Not likely I still pulled him midrange and topend, with him getting a 3 car jump to begin with. I was beside him at 130mph when we shut down, so if we had started at same time that means I would have pulled him by nearly 3 car lengths from 80-130mph. But it's been said before: anything can happen on the street.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MaSTi
Don't laugh man, some people do!!! People who are strictly into things like auto-x keep the smaller turbos and just do meth injection. The same applies as turbo'ed LSx's, with a bigger turbo you have slower spool. So, if you want quck and zippy with no real topend you keep the smaller size turbo. The meth will just add power to the set up.

I'd love to have a 30r with meth, but I plan on keeping my STi a DD. That means keeping the stock turbo or slightly larger(like your 20g) with a conservative tune. If I go all out(I doubt it 'cause I'd rather a vette over a built STi) I'd do a 35r with built motor. Only problem is the cost...BIG $$$$.....and then it won't be a DD any more.
Well that's the reason I went with the 20g so the lag wouldn't be so drastic. The pulley kit seems to help with the lag cause I only noticed slightly more than stock lag. The problem I had with the stock turbo is the car would eat the 1/8th mile up (8.3 @ 83.3 mph) but after that it just didn't have any more accelleration. Which like you say is not a problem for auto-x or rally, but I don't do those events cause I don't want to destroy my car. Maybe a trip to the drag strip and some street racing every now and then.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

what have you run at the track? i have a buddy whos run his bug rex with header back on stock turbo at 15lbs run a 13.3 its pretty quick i usually get him by about a 1.5 to 2 cars but i have gears too
Old 11-14-2007, 10:29 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96ta
what have you run at the track? i have a buddy whos run his bug rex with header back on stock turbo at 15lbs run a 13.3 its pretty quick i usually get him by about a 1.5 to 2 cars but i have gears too
Header back? Maybe you mean turbo back... IDK. Sounds like a pretty decent time for that year and mods. Do you mean your getting him by 1-1/2-2 cars thru the 1/4 mile? Or highway roll? The stock turbo (with only exhaust work) just can't flow enough air to keep up with a LSx highway roll, for anything over 90 mph. The 20g however is a much different animal, it has plenty of cfm to give up top and can easily red line 6th gear.

I haven't been back to the track since I was at "Cobb stage II" which consisted of turbo back exhaust, and an off the shelf 93 octane map. The drag strip that I went to was only timing 1/8ths that day and I went 8.3 @ 83mph which translates into a 12.8 1/4mile. Benchracing aside, since then I've added right at 100whp so I should see a decreased ET and increased trap speed over that. Either way I know I'm on the right track cause out here in the real world; on the street: I pulled a 340rwhp+ LS1 on top end. From what I understand that should indicate I would have a higher trap speed than him. Being an ex owner of a 330rwhp+ Blackbird Trans-am I have a real apreciation for what f-body Ls's can do on top end. This is a real acchievement for my car, and a testimate to Boxer4racing and their Subaru expertise.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess your talking about the time you raced rock? I think he's ready for a rematch! Congrats on your setup it seems to be doing good. I ran my car at commerce and could only pull a 13.2 but it was at 112mph. If you haven't guessed yet I couldn't get ANY traction. 2.3 60' lol. My car does hook alot beter on the street but im sure it won't take off anything like your car. We need to have another match. When do you want to go?
Old 12-14-2007, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yellowsierra
I guess your talking about the time you raced rock? I think he's ready for a rematch! Congrats on your setup it seems to be doing good. I ran my car at commerce and could only pull a 13.2 but it was at 112mph. If you haven't guessed yet I couldn't get ANY traction. 2.3 60' lol. My car does hook alot beter on the street but im sure it won't take off anything like your car. We need to have another match. When do you want to go?
Yeah he's talking about me. I'm definatley making a few more ponies than I was when we ran last time. I was thinking we could meet up in town saturday night and plan it out from there.
Edit: its not a damn firehawk

Last edited by rocksws6; 12-14-2007 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds good to me! Did I tell you about the guy with the Black 99-04 mustang? I was riding to blue ridge with dad and we got behind this black mustang. We where at the walmart red light behind him. The light turned green and he took off. Dad desided to get in it and we really didnt pull on him. I figured we would be on his back bumper in no time. Well I seen the mustang last night at White's. I talked to the guy and he said he didnt know what the car had done because he bought it from another guy. He said it did have nitrous on it at one time. I know it wasn't stock!
Old 12-14-2007, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blackbird39
I was on my way home last night from school when I noticed some headlights coming up behind me at a very fast pace and I thought heck yah finally a race! I was running about 65 mph and downshifted to 4th and prepared to give it a little brake boost Next thing happened tho he didnt even slow down just flew past at 80 mph; so I kick it to catch up and soon as I kick it he really nails it hard with at least 3 car lengths ahead of me. So I just kept in the throttle and slowly reeled him in till we had to let off for traffic at about 130mph with my front fender at his door. Then he again sped away when I dropped down to 60-65mph for another run. He caught a light up ahead but I couldnt get beside him for a dig launch After the light I again came up beside him and again he took the hit and pulled about a car and 1/2 before I stopped his pull and then as I was about to pass he shut down at about 100mph.

But what amazed me is how strong that car was, and the exhaust sounded sooo awesome. We pulled over and talked for a minute and he said the reason he jumped each time is he thought I was going to slingshot him when I was pulling up next to him. Mods to his car besides the SLP options: headers, longtubes , ory. How much horses do you think he 's pushing? Mine dyno'd 360awhp and 345awtq and it was really a fairly good race even with him jumping. I could stop his pull right away but it took quite a bit to catch him, so props to the LS1's highway roll capability!
I think you drafted me on the first run. And I think the second run was more like 120. But yeah I was taking the hit and if we were starting even I do think I would have lost so props for a sweet ride.
My mods were: SLP lid, PS LT's, ORY, Magnaflow cat-back
since then I have added: P&P TB, cam and a tune.
Here's a link to my dyno thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/828829-patrick-g-cam-results.html
Old 12-14-2007, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds good to me! Did I tell you about the guy with the Black 99-04 mustang? I was riding to blue ridge with dad and we got behind this black mustang. We where at the walmart red light behind him. The light turned green and he took off. Dad desided to get in it and we really didnt pull on him. I figured we would be on his back bumper in no time. Well I seen the mustang last night at White's. I talked to the guy and he said he didnt know what the car had done because he bought it from another guy. He said it did have nitrous on it at one time. I know it wasn't stock!
Does he live around here? Tell him he can come too.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rocksws6
Does he live around here? Tell him he can come too.
I see him ever once in a while. If I see him I will tell him to come hang out with the big boys. His car looks like a cobra. It has the big wheels and a cowl hood. Do you want me to see if curtis wants to brang out the stang.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I see him ever once in a while. If I see him I will tell him to come hang out with the big boys. His car looks like a cobra. It has the big wheels and a cowl hood. Do you want me to see if curtis wants to brang out the stang.
The more stangs the better as far as I'm concerned. I think I've seen that mustang now that you mention it, I think I seen it the other day I just didn't pay it no mind. Yeah Curtis needs a good whoopin but something tells me he's gonna weenie out of it.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:11 PM
TECH Regular

I thought he was the firehawks too. I was thinking, brake boost?
Old 12-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Banned

Good kill on the STI!!!
Old 12-14-2007, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by rocksws6
I think you drafted me on the first run. And I think the second run was more like 120. But yeah I was taking the hit and if we were starting even I do think I would have lost so props for a sweet ride.
My mods were: SLP lid, PS LT's, ORY, Magnaflow cat-back
since then I have added: P&P TB, cam and a tune.
Here's a link to my dyno thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=828829
Lol no I was in the fast lane and you were in slow lane so don't think I got much draft. Thanks for the Props, and your ride is fast as hell; and looks sweet. I got mixed up on the Firehawk because of the SLP package I didn't know that WS6's came with that pkg. Now that you got that cam I think me and Justin will have our hands full
Old 12-14-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blackbird39
Lol no I was in the fast lane and you were in slow lane so don't think I got much draft. Thanks for the Props, and your ride is fast as hell; and looks sweet. I got mixed up on the Firehawk because of the SLP package I didn't know that WS6's came with that pkg. Now that you got that cam I think me and Justin will have our hands full
It doesn't have a SLP package. Just the strut bar and the Lid. I think you swung in behind me on the first pass, it doesn't really make any difference. It was a good run, so are we gonna meet up in town sat. night. I was thinking we could meet up in town about 9 and BS a little. And run about 11 or so. If you decide you want to, hunt up those 2 way radios. If you'll give me a good time to call I will call you tommorow. You'll have to tell me your name again to, I'm terrible with names. Brandt is that right?