Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

02 SLP Firehawk vs 06 STi

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 09:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 SLP Firehawk vs 06 STi

I was on my way home last night from school when I noticed some headlights coming up behind me at a very fast pace and I thought heck yah finally a race! I was running about 65 mph and downshifted to 4th and prepared to give it a little brake boost Next thing happened tho he didnt even slow down just flew past at 80 mph; so I kick it to catch up and soon as I kick it he really nails it hard with at least 3 car lengths ahead of me. So I just kept in the throttle and slowly reeled him in till we had to let off for traffic at about 130mph with my front fender at his door. Then he again sped away when I dropped down to 60-65mph for another run. He caught a light up ahead but I couldnt get beside him for a dig launch After the light I again came up beside him and again he took the hit and pulled about a car and 1/2 before I stopped his pull and then as I was about to pass he shut down at about 100mph.

But what amazed me is how strong that car was, and the exhaust sounded sooo awesome. We pulled over and talked for a minute and he said the reason he jumped each time is he thought I was going to slingshot him when I was pulling up next to him. Mods to his car besides the SLP options: headers, longtubes , ory. How much horses do you think he 's pushing? Mine dyno'd 360awhp and 345awtq and it was really a fairly good race even with him jumping. I could stop his pull right away but it took quite a bit to catch him, so props to the LS1's highway roll capability!
Old 11-06-2007, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He was probably in the 340ish range, give or take, and a bit more rwtq. I would imagine your car is a bit lighter than his, as well. What does it weigh?

Nice kill. You would have slaughtered him pretty good from a dig.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:41 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
He was probably in the 340ish range, give or take, and a bit more rwtq. I would imagine your car is a bit lighter than his, as well. What does it weigh?

Nice kill. You would have slaughtered him pretty good from a dig.
Thanks.

I was thinking in the high 340's -350's rwhp, and maybe 373 geared judging from his 3rd gear launch. Very impressive performance IMO for those mods. He mentioned he was thinking about heads and cams, and I was like oh ****! to mysef lol

He did say he had his jack and spare out, but that's not alot of weight. I figure he prob. had around 300 more pounds than me. I def. would have hurt him from a dig When I took my car to the track with TBE and 93 octane map I pulled a 1.7 60' Now I have over 100 more whp and I can actually launch better on the street because I dont get the wheel hop like I do at the drag strip.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Blackbird39
Thanks.

I was thinking in the high 340's -350's rwhp, and maybe 373 geared judging from his 3rd gear launch. Very impressive performance IMO for those mods. He mentioned he was thinking about heads and cams, and I was like oh ****! to mysef lol

He did say he had his jack and spare out, but that's not alot of weight. I figure he prob. had around 300 more pounds than me. I def. would have hurt him from a dig When I took my car to the track with TBE and 93 octane map I pulled a 1.7 60' Now I have over 100 more whp and I can actually launch better on the street because I dont get the wheel hop like I do at the drag strip.
That sounds like a nice ride. I've always love the STIs and (don't take this the wrong way) have always said I thought it would be the perfect daily driver for someone in my area (stock, of course). AWD, power, suspension.....fun and practical, what's not to like for a New England driver? (OK, OK, maybe a few mods to spice things up...)

If he goes with even the cam, though, you're going to need to make sure to run him from a dig, and expect him to come flying by like you're standing still. Mark off a finish line about 100 feet down the road from the starting line and you'll smash him! Anything close to the 1/8 mile and you better start looking for him out your driver side window! Haha.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:43 PM
Restricted User

Good run....
Old 11-06-2007, 05:57 PM
11 Second Club

I can't afford an STi as a daily driver but would also love one. I had to settle for a NA Legacy. Subaru makes good cars though...love the boxer engines
Old 11-07-2007, 01:21 PM
12 Second Club

I had to get the STi cause of my god awful road and it is still sporty on the pavement. The car is great fun to drive as a DD or weekend car, and is far from maxed out. My next mods are going to be headers, Fmic. and a Prodrive boost solenoid. Then I can turn the boost up a little. Right now im only running 19 psi. after the next modding session, boost will be increased to 22 psi.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

HeadER?

Dan
Old 11-07-2007, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by hurley_21_07
HeadER?

Dan
no.... headerS
http://www.airpowersystems.com/wrx/a...02/headers.htm
Old 11-07-2007, 03:29 PM
Teching In

HeadER?

Dan
They have Inline 4, and then they have those which are I believe called a boxer engine i believe.

But i still think thats considered 1 header hehe to the v8 guys anyways
Old 11-07-2007, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

I looked at that pic but it all looks welded as one piece.

Dan
Old 11-07-2007, 05:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

wow at first for some reason i was thinkin you were the firehawk owner . . . only cause your avatar hahaha nice kill
Old 11-08-2007, 09:00 AM
12 Second Club

I looked at that pic but it all looks welded as one piece.

Dan
LOL I know, I had to go look it up after you said that cause I was thinking hmm he's probably right. They label them as header"s" maybe cause 2 heads are involved?
Old 11-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by King Nothing
wow at first for some reason i was thinkin you were the firehawk owner . . . only cause your avatar hahaha nice kill
Yeah me too .
Old 11-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Teching In

LOL I know, I had to go look it up after you said that cause I was thinking hmm he's probably right. They label them as header"s" maybe cause 2 heads are involved?
thats sooooooooooooooo wierd, i never realised that.

So i know that subaru's engine is set up like a " T " but i didnt know that it had 2 heads...
Old 11-08-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was running about 65 mph and downshifted to 4th and prepared to give it a little brake boost
Next time, shift into third and be ready to really give it to him. 3rd to 80 mph.

EDIT: Oh. You're the STi. Thought you were the TA.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:28 AM
Launching!

don't mean to butt in, but try MadDad headER (yes LOL). They are cheaper and have a better design to them. I assume you're also runing a bigger TMIC, why not just go green or 30r with FMIC? Skip the sissy stuff, unless you plan on keeping her mild.

Nice run BTW. I love both the STi and f-bods clearly why I'm on this site.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MaSTi
don't mean to butt in, but try MadDad headER (yes LOL). They are cheaper and have a better design to them. I assume you're also runing a bigger TMIC, why not just go green or 30r with FMIC? Skip the sissy stuff, unless you plan on keeping her mild.

Nice run BTW. I love both the STi and f-bods clearly why I'm on this site.
Me too, I'll always love the F-bodies and one day Ill have another when I can have a low ground clearance, rwd vehicle.

My tuner suggested the APS because they retain the boxer sound even though they are equal length and because he likes their fit and finish.

I hear ya about skipping the sissy crap, but I need to keep the engine fairly mild until im ready for built block and heads. With the headers, Fmic, solenoid + 22psi it should put up a fight with a head/cam or nitrous lsx. Later on maybe I'll get extreme but after 500hp these engines get expensive!
Old 11-08-2007, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

could you explain your mods a lil bit better?
Deadbolt 20g TD06H 8cm^2,heat shield, Custom map. i know what the rest are, the 1st thing a turbo? then some type of heat shield for the turbo? and is a map a tune
Old 11-08-2007, 09:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bad6as
could you explain your mods a lil bit better?
Deadbolt 20g TD06H 8cm^2,heat shield, Custom map. i know what the rest are, the 1st thing a turbo? then some type of heat shield for the turbo? and is a map a tune
Those are designations for the turbine wheel and compressor housing for that turbo; indicating size and flow capacity. Custom map = dyno tuned. Heat shield is for the turbo.