Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2001 Z06 vs. 2008 Charger SRT-8

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 08:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Diablo now has a programmer for them. Average track time in AZ was around 13.1 in 1/4 now with the programmer we have seen 12.7 to 12.8 on average. There still is alot of room for improvment but the computer on these cars is smart! Tough one to crack but i am sure it will be done!
Old 11-24-2007, 03:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jrp1978
why is it on these cars srt 8 with the big hemi the mods adds **** loads of power .Kn is like 23 hp and 41 tr headers are like 34 hp and 47 fb tr . Man if these things where unlocked and tuned right those motors are crazy power makers.
I think they already unlocked it. There is tuners for it now i've read.

Im surprised it took them so long to unlock the damn computer. I mean wtf? Windows gets hacked the first day is released, and no one could hack these damn computers? wtf?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jrp1978
why is it on these cars srt 8 with the big hemi the mods adds **** loads of power .Kn is like 23 hp and 41 tr headers are like 34 hp and 47 fb tr . Man if these things where unlocked and tuned right those motors are crazy power makers.

I wish those numbers were accurate. Not true for our cars at all. We do see some good gains with simple mods, just not that good. As for a tuner, there is finally one out there for us. The Diablo Predator/ CMR tune. Finally us heavily modded guys can unleash the real power. Also, keep in mind that our cars are a bunch of FAT A$$ES, coming in at around 4200 lbs.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AcE XBOX
I think they already unlocked it. There is tuners for it now i've read.

Im surprised it took them so long to unlock the damn computer. I mean wtf? Windows gets hacked the first day is released, and no one could hack these damn computers? wtf?
nope, computer is tough. Superchips got a few of them cracked. But took them a couple of years to do it. The computer re-writes data back. So when you change it, after running a little bit, it adjusts back for the adjustments. It's crazy man. I use to own an "03 hemi truck. Strangest computer I ever seen. Put an intake on the truck and exhaust. At first it seemed quick. After a few days, the computer would adjust the fuel for the extra air. Crazy crap I tell ya. Like I said, it took superchips two years to figure it out. How to keep it from re-writing.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by azzo61
Diablo now has a programmer for them. Average track time in AZ was around 13.1 in 1/4 now with the programmer we have seen 12.7 to 12.8 on average. There still is alot of room for improvment but the computer on these cars is smart! Tough one to crack but i am sure it will be done!
seeing your new to the forum welcome! and i live in phoenix az as well. the weather is perfect for the track now! maybe ill see you out at speedworld sometime man.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

LS1aholic....you should wait for the Challenger. I love the Charger but 4-doors is 2 to many.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by rocksws6
The new hemi has tons of potential but due to the **** computers they put in these cars you can't tune them at all. It really sucks and Dodge lost a customer because of it.
Yeah----I know a guy who has a SRT8 Charger, and he said they can't do much with the computer at all....
Old 11-26-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

San DiegoSRT is right, Diablo HAS unlocked these cars. It is working great on mostly stock cars and even better on modded h/c cars. And fatass is an understatement, lol. I put mine on the scales and it weighed in at 4555lbs. I did have some fold out chairs and a couple jackets in the trunk though.

Great run ls1aholic, i wouldn't rule out the SRT because of tuning. Like stated above Diablo has a great handheld/custom tune software out and SCT is suppose to be stepping up to the table soon also!
Old 11-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Banned

yes the tuner is out but 8 cars have blown up due to over doing the adjustments with the Diablo! Great cars i loved my SRT8 300C! I go to the track with the LX group all the time!
Old 11-26-2007, 10:54 PM
Teching In

The guys who were blowing engines were those that turned their knock sensors off. That option has since been removed from the Predator. As long as you play it safe with your tune and your tuner, you'll be fine.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
nope, computer is tough. Superchips got a few of them cracked. But took them a couple of years to do it. The computer re-writes data back. So when you change it, after running a little bit, it adjusts back for the adjustments. It's crazy man. I use to own an "03 hemi truck. Strangest computer I ever seen. Put an intake on the truck and exhaust. At first it seemed quick. After a few days, the computer would adjust the fuel for the extra air. Crazy crap I tell ya. Like I said, it took superchips two years to figure it out. How to keep it from re-writing.
If any good programers would have taken a crack at the computer, it would have been cracked in a week or less.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AcE XBOX
If any good programers would have taken a crack at the computer, it would have been cracked in a week or less.
not true. Hypertech, diablo, superchips are all leading tuner products with no solutions at the time. After superchips released theirs, the other companies followed. Why do you think there won't be any superchargers from kennebell on the 2003 models. Computer was the problem. 2004 the computer changed and was slightly easier to resolve.

Hptuners working with superchips will see a true tuner released soon. They released their ford module finally last month. The dodge should get released soon.

Diablo, superchips and hypertech are primative products compared to the hptuners product.

Last edited by wickedwarlock; 11-27-2007 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^ I believe its more of a marketing gimmick, they pretty much control the aftermarket tuning for new cars... i guarantee if a good programmer took a look at it they'd have it done in less than week, hence windows getting hacked in less than a week and windows has MUCH more programming than a car ECM has. No I'm not a programmer.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

I raced a full bolt-on SRT-8 charger, black w/ chrome rims, the thing looked mobster-ish and sounded like a beast. We went from a 40 roll and I absolutely murdered this dude, by the time I shut down at 125mph I had 6-7 cars on this dude, but in his defense I think that was bad speed to start from in his auto vs my 4.10 geared 6 speed.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jon5212
^^ I believe its more of a marketing gimmick, they pretty much control the aftermarket tuning for new cars... i guarantee if a good programmer took a look at it they'd have it done in less than week, hence windows getting hacked in less than a week and windows has MUCH more programming than a car ECM has. No I'm not a programmer.
I agree with ya too a point. Locking a car's pcm won't allow you to do any changes. We can do that now with hptuners and efilive. If they don't want you to mess with it, they have that ability to do just that. The problem with dodge/chrsyler's pcm was the ability to change something, than the computer would re-write the code back. No matter what you changed, etc, it would adjust the code to factory. They have resolved most of the problems but unless chrysler wants to release the info to the programming companies, we are still at their mercy. Efilive and Hptuners allows you to do a full re-write. Those no options currently for chrysler/dodge. Until at least hptuners comes. Than you will see big changes on chrysler/dodge tuning.

A perfect example was kennebell. That's a top notch company for tuning on superchargers. They had a problem with the 2003 computers. It's still not resolved and they pretty much given up. The 2004 and up have a new computer and have been easier to resolve.

But its still boils down to the manufacturer giving out code or allowing the code to even be read. Like I said, they have the capability to lock it without editing. We have that ability with efilive and hptuners as I said before.

All the big programmers have loads of resources available. Why would they hold out for marketing though? Seriously, those chrysler pcms are a problem and I'm quite sure chrysler's doing it for a reason. To deny any aftermarket but their own.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes I agree with you, I guess you would need to be on the inside for HPtuners and/or chrysler to really know. But I'm still sure if a good programmer/hacker out there got a hold of an ECM and would read it they could probably crack it no problem.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by EXTREME
San DiegoSRT is right, Diablo HAS unlocked these cars. It is working great on mostly stock cars and even better on modded h/c cars. And fatass is an understatement, lol. I put mine on the scales and it weighed in at 4555lbs. I did have some fold out chairs and a couple jackets in the trunk though.
Wickedwarlock - why do you keep harping on it? Its DONE. The Diablo Tuner is OUT. It WORKS!

Extreme - was your *** in the car too? My fully optioned Charger weighed 4200lbs with a full tank of gas. I've yet to see proof the 300Cs are 100lbs lighter.

You sure you didn't have some lazy-boy recliners?
Old 11-28-2007, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So are the current tuning products something like a crappy hypertech unit, or something like EFI live where you hook up your laptop and can change anything you want?
Old 11-28-2007, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AronZ28
So are the current tuning products something like a crappy hypertech unit, or something like EFI live where you hook up your laptop and can change anything you want?
The Diablo is nothing like the POS hypertech. They come with USB ports and cables so you can custom tune your car by simply uploading the tune from your computer to your Diablo to your car. We can even program our cars to run on 87 octane if we are gonna doa road trip and wanna save gas.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Wickedwarlock - why do you keep harping on it? Its DONE. The Diablo Tuner is OUT. It WORKS!

Supertuners has been out; this isn't anything new. diablo came out second, rofl! And they work for what they are yes.

But I will say it again, They are primative to the real tuners. There isn't any comparison.

Hptuners will be done soon I hope for dodge, than there will be even more found on those hemis.