Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

How many of you stopped racing on the street?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 01:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How many of you stopped racing on the street?

I can remember the good ol days of racing on the street and not thinking twice about getting caught. Slowly I started to realize how Freaking stupid I was. I've seen people get busted more and more now that the police are really starting to crack down on it. So how many of you on here stopped racing on the steet?

If you still race on the street at least take it to a place where the public isn't around or others driving next to you.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Banned

Not gunna be a very hot thread in the street racing section.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GTO JIMMY
Not gunna be a very hot thread in the street racing section.
That's what I was thinking. Are you trying to talk some sense into us? If so it isn't going to work so give up now.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:45 PM
11 Second Club

Cops are ALL OVER THE PLACE around here, so the whole street racing scene is all but dead. NYS Troopers wrote over 1 million traffic tickets in 2007!!
Old 02-01-2008, 02:46 PM
11 Second Club

I don't think there wil be an end to street racing ever. It's been present as long as there has been cars. I've cut back on the times I do in a year and have very selective places I do it,but there is always that ONE GUY in a car that comes up beside you and revs,and revs,and takes off, and slows down,and revs,and takes off, and...well..you get my point. As long as there are folks like that,I suppose folks like alot of us on here are gonna hand them their asses, public hwy or not. I'd much rather take it to the track, but it's kinda hard to communicate that to the goob in the car beside you blasting Justin Timberlake from his riced out pos thinking he's Vin Diesel.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Launching!

Here in tulsa its hit and miss. We try to be safe and smart about it if possible lol but if something comes up next to me and wants to play lol Im game
Old 02-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Teching In

whenever i race on the street is 3 in the morning and there is no traffic. we have safety cars check for pot holes, debris, deer and the like. its i guess the smartest way to do a dumb thing. street racing is always going to be around, i just wish more people would take my approach. traffic=no pedestrians=no
people should just try for safety. dont see how fast you can get your car up to, see who wins and call it at that.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Evilways
I don't think there wil be an end to street racing ever. It's been present as long as there has been cars. I've cut back on the times I do in a year and have very selective places I do it,but there is always that ONE GUY in a car that comes up beside you and revs,and revs,and takes off, and slows down,and revs,and takes off, and...well..you get my point. As long as there are folks like that,I suppose folks like alot of us on here are gonna hand them their asses, public hwy or not. I'd much rather take it to the track, but it's kinda hard to communicate that to the goob in the car beside you blasting Justin Timberlake from his riced out pos thinking he's Vin Diesel.

Originally Posted by LT1SC95Z
whenever i race on the street is 3 in the morning and there is no traffic. we have safety cars check for pot holes, debris, deer and the like. its i guess the smartest way to do a dumb thing. street racing is always going to be around, i just wish more people would take my approach. traffic=no pedestrians=no
people should just try for safety. dont see how fast you can get your car up to, see who wins and call it at that.
DOUBLE
Old 02-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Teching In

if i hurt myself in a wreck, so be it no one to blame but myself, if i ever hurt someone because of my stupidity i could never ever forgive myself. if we were all smarter about it, we wouldnt get the wrap we get as those "goddamned street racers". you dont get caught racing in the forest preserves at 3am, one or two runs and going home, no alcohol or drugs involved.
i lost my girlfriend of two years in a roll over wreck when she was with my friend on 1-55, he raced a vette...she died right in front of me, while i had an arm around her....you dont forget something like that, and i guess until it happens to more people, they wont learn careful, its the only way to be when your talking big power and high speeds.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT1PwrdZ
Here in tulsa its hit and miss. We try to be safe and smart about it if possible lol but if something comes up next to me and wants to play lol Im game
Just what we do down here...
Old 02-01-2008, 04:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure when I was young (16-25) racing on the street would have been a way of life for me as would trips the local courthouse. But fortunately for me I was driving 4 cyl Cavaliers that did 0-60 in a few hours

By the time I did get my first muscle car I was old enough to know better. Plus I have a wife that would kick my *** if I was arrested for something like that . But seriously, with three kids I just can't risk them losing thier father over something like street racing. Especially since I live pretty close to a great 1/4 mile track.

There are still risks at the track but at least there are safety equipment requirements, no other traffic and an onsite ambulance. Plus the obvious that it's actually legal so no hassles from cops.

Oh and IBTL
Old 02-01-2008, 04:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by darrensls1
I'm sure when I was young (16-25) racing on the street would have been a way of life for me as would trips the local courthouse. But fortunately for me I was driving 4 cyl Cavaliers that did 0-60 in a few hours
That's why you need the v6 cavalier and when you race in the winter getting up to the speed limit is risky enough
Old 02-02-2008, 01:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sworaz
That's why you need the v6 cavalier and when you race in the winter getting up to the speed limit is risky enough
HA! I actually like that bodystyle Cavalier. I was looking for one as a 'beater' with the 3.1 and a 5 speed (Getrag??). They are hard to find in decent shape.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

Every once in a while ill hand someone their ***. Most of the time I just ignore them. Like the other day some integra was trying to go on our main st. I just ignored the guy. I did act ricer and downshifted into 1st gear when he was gonna do a left hand turn hahaha. Just letting him know to not waste his time.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There isn't much of a street racing scene around my area(lafayette, IN) besides a few ricers. It is a rare occasion that I race someone. If I do it's usually on a back road or long stretch of highway where there is no traffic and I can see for miles in all direction in case of cops. I have had my ws6 for 7 months and maybe raced 2 people. I bought my car more for hott rodding around and going fast on backroads, but I do get the occasional race evry now and then.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

I've mostly stopped street racing. I'll only do it out in the country or on the highway now every once in a while, if the other car is worth racing. I'm scared to get caught again, so I try to keep the street racing minimal. It is a little hard saving it for the track sometimes though.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cvaught
There isn't much of a street racing scene around my area(lafayette, IN) besides a few ricers. It is a rare occasion that I race someone. If I do it's usually on a back road or long stretch of highway where there is no traffic and I can see for miles in all direction in case of cops. I have had my ws6 for 7 months and maybe raced 2 people. I bought my car more for hott rodding around and going fast on backroads, but I do get the occasional race evry now and then.
When I lived up there, we would get races off all the time, you just have to know the right people up there. There was the BK group and there is a group of Purdue kids that did race.

I know of a couple spots around here that clock off some races and see the all too popular highway pulls.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont race on highways if alot of traffic is around...I really only race people at night when nobody is around.I have learned many places that are race worthy and suggest to any worthy cars to go there instead of streets.

My best friend is a cop and we went one time together to a "street race", I raced an rx8 in my 96 Z28 got up to around 90mph when a dumbass in a civic pulled out in front of me and I was just inches away from him on one side and people standing on he other. Aside from that...it was nothing but ricers, half were drinking alcohol in the open and the other half were lighting joints, After I almost wrecked and could very easily have killed someone we both said F*** this and havent gone back since.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by purdueranger
When I lived up there, we would get races off all the time, you just have to know the right people up there. There was the BK group and there is a group of Purdue kids that did race.

I know of a couple spots around here that clock off some races and see the all too popular highway pulls.
There are more shows, cruise nights, get togethors in that area than most places. Well more northwest there is one every day in IN. Idk about races but there are a lot of nice muscle cars, I miss it.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

We have the perfect spot down here for drag racing. the street has grooves cut into it so when you do a burnout it lays a good bit of rubber down. There is only one side street and its after the quarter but we block it off before we race. So far we havent had any real problems and it works but the drag race scene has died a lil here.

Quick Reply: How many of you stopped racing on the street?