Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

How many of you stopped racing on the street?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 06:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96ta
id like to ask a simple question to darrenls1: simply put how is racing at the track any different than racing on the street. the same speeds are still met. the possiblities for all the same bad stuff is still there. its called a controlled environment because why? because someone is watching you, and it can be achieved on the street as well. the will always be the remote possiblity that the worst can happen, whether on the street or at the track. as for the medical personnel on site well its still no different from being on the street other than a response time and that still will not always save your life. now this being said i dont condone street racing and im guilty of it myself(i also shouldnt be on this earth because of it), i also dont condone unopened minds becuase there will always be shades of gray. if you cant distinguish that you than you are no better than the ignorant "street racer." the catch all here is knowing the right time and place for such things.
See this for your answer:

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
It's a controlled environment for a bunch of reasons.
The track doesn't have side streets for people to pull out of
There is no chance of pedestrians for the same reason
EMS is present and are trained for emergency situation, on the street if something happens you will have to wait. Time is important when someone gets hurt.
Surface prep provides race worthy surface, whether it be for traction, smooth surface, no debris that could cost you a tire etc.
It isn't illegal at the track
If you're fast they make sure you have safety equipment to help keep you safe in the event that an accident occurs

I don't understand why you would ask how the track is different than the street. To be quite honest, to compare the two like they are the same situation is ridiculous.

I really can't believe the mods are letting a conversation go on that has people arguing why street racing is ok and how it isn't any different than the track.
Very well said sir
Old 02-09-2008, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i street raced when i felt it was relitively safe... im not saying its right or wrong...dont wanna go into a 3 page debate... but right now i have solved my need to go out and find a race... stationed in ok, car is in ga...will i race on the street again? probably if i believe it is safe...but i do plan on doing more racing at the track then the street...not because of this thread but because it seems like more fun trying to get actual numbers

btw: all that debate was hard to read early in the morning and seemed like the same stuff was being said just in different ways...
Old 02-09-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by darrensls1
See this for your answer:

Very well said sir
that still doesnt make racing on the strip any more safer than running on the street. you still put the other guy at risk. the fact the emt's are there is relative because it still may or may not save your life. the rest is common sense why would you race near pedestrians? the same with debris in the street. the bottom line is its dangerous no matter where your at. like i stated before its all about knowing when and where is the right time to do things.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:35 PM
12 Second Club

I don't do it much anymore...only because i don't feel like dealing with the cops, courts, fines, impounds. I'd rather spend the money on my car and race at the track, same pleasure with no worries.

Guys are gonna do it no matter what though, and i really don't care...just use good judgement, don't put others in harms way, and for christs sake if you're gonna race a sub 12 second car on the street use the proper safety equipment. Not having a cage is the same as the squid on a bike with shorts and t shirt
Old 02-10-2008, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by N01SS
Guys are gonna do it no matter what though, and i really don't care...just use good judgement, don't put others in harms way, and for christs sake if you're gonna race a sub 12 second car on the street use the proper safety equipment. Not having a cage is the same as the squid on a bike with shorts and t shirt
Yep. Yet another who accepts that street racing will happen regardless of what "sound logic" everybody employs.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:18 AM
11 Second Club

that still doesnt make racing on the strip any more safer than running on the street. you still put the other guy at risk. the fact the emt's are there is relative because it still may or may not save your life. the rest is common sense why would you race near pedestrians? the same with debris in the street. the bottom line is its dangerous no matter where your at. like i stated before its all about knowing when and where is the right time to do things.
Wrong. You are far safer at the track. The biggest safety advantage you have at the track is the fact that you're required to have safety equipment. I watched a video of a mustang making a pass at a track. This was a single digit car with full cage, window net, ect. At the launch his nose went straight up to where the driver was looking at nothing but sky. When he came down he got out of the grooves and started to fish tail. Unwisely he tried to salvage the run and found himself bumping a wall and flipping over and over and over.

The car flipped over at least five times. I was like OMG I hope he survives. Turned out the guy walked away from the accident with just a few bumps and bruises. On the street with no cage, no window net, no helmet, ect this guy would have been as good as dead.

On top of that you have a prepped track and a track manager. If the track gets any debri or fluid he'll shut it down until it's safe. If bad weather moves in he'll shut it down until it's safe. I'll take my chances at the track any day over my chances on the street. It's a far safer not to mention a legal environment.

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
Yep. Yet another who accepts that street racing will happen regardless of what "sound logic" everybody employs.
I can accept the fact that murders will continue to happen too. There will always be people who break the law. Always. But that doesn't mean you have to join them. We all have a choice. And unlike choosing between coke or pepsi there really is a right and wrong choice here. One is legal and far safer while the other is against the law and much more dangerous.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Wrong. You are far safer at the track. The biggest safety advantage you have at the track is the fact that you're required to have safety equipment. I watched a video of a mustang making a pass at a track. This was a single digit car with full cage, window net, ect. At the launch his nose went straight up to where the driver was looking at nothing but sky. When he came down he got out of the grooves and started to fish tail. Unwisely he tried to salvage the run and found himself bumping a wall and flipping over and over and over.

The car flipped over at least five times. I was like OMG I hope he survives. Turned out the guy walked away from the accident with just a few bumps and bruises. On the street with no cage, no window net, no helmet, ect this guy would have been as good as dead.

On top of that you have a prepped track and a track manager. If the track gets any debri or fluid he'll shut it down until it's safe. If bad weather moves in he'll shut it down until it's safe. I'll take my chances at the track any day over my chances on the street. It's a far safer not to mention a legal environment.

I can accept the fact that murders will continue to happen too. There will always be people who break the law. Always. But that doesn't mean you have to join them. We all have a choice. And unlike choosing between coke or pepsi there really is a right and wrong choice here. One is legal and far safer while the other is against the law and much more dangerous.
and i can almost guarantee you people who have single digit cars arent going to waste their time on the street because lets face it, most single digits cars arent street legal. to boot your guy at the track shouldve let out of it because now hes endangering himself the people in the crowd and the guy next to him. the risks are the same which is what you are failing to see. if you race in bad weather then its not long before your ignorance catches up with you( i was going to i hope they die but thats harsh). again like ive said before its comes down to know when and where the right place to do this kind of thing. the only thing racing at the track has over "street racing" is the legality of event. thats it. what your arguing is like saying nascar is safe cuz its on a track.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:44 AM
11 Second Club

and i can almost guarantee you people who have single digit cars arent going to waste their time on the street because lets face it, most single digits cars arent street legal.
The key word there is almost. There are a lot of fast street cars out there using N20, turbos, ect. Hell the new Z06's trap 125ish right off the showroom floor. And we all know there are fast 03/04 Cobras, Supras, Evos, ect.

On the street it doesn't matter if you have a 9 second ET. It only matters if you have a 9 second capable trap speed. Mainly because most of these races are from a roll and go to high rates of speed.

to boot your guy at the track shouldve let out of it because now hes endangering himself the people in the crowd and the guy next to him.
That's not true. He should have let out because it's the smart thing to do. No sense in risking thousands of dollars and injury for what was all ready a busted run. I'm with you on that.

But he is not endangering the crowd. They have a wall and a fence to keep the spectators safe. Crowds at organized street races do not generally have walls and fences to protect them. I saw a video once of a Corvette plowing into a crowd of spectators at a street race. Very disturbing.

By the time this guy in the Mustang completly lost it the other lane was way ahead and out of harms way. It's not common for accidents to happen and it's even less common for it to involve both cars. I've actually never witnessed an accident at the track. I've seen a lot of break downs but no actual crashes.

the risks are the same which is what you are failing to see. if you race in bad weather then its not long before your ignorance catches up with you( i was going to i hope they die but thats harsh).
The risks are not the same. They are much greater on the street. Mostly due to the lack of safety equipment, lack of prepped surfaces and the fact that it's against the law allowing for possible legal repercussions. If you lose control at the track and hit the wall the odds are that you'll be ok. If you lose control and hit a tree or pole on the street then odds are you're seriously injured or worse.

I'll take my chances at the track hands down.

again like ive said before its comes down to know when and where the right place to do this kind of thing. the only thing racing at the track has over "street racing" is the legality of event. thats it. what your arguing is like saying nascar is safe cuz its on a track.
When is on test and tune. Where is at your local 1/8 or 1/4 mile track. But make sure you have the right safety equipment as needed by how fast your car is.

Nascar is definately not safe. I never said it was. Whenever you have that many vehicles going that fast and only inches from each other then your risk factor goes through the roof

But most street races are drag races. They don't always start from a dig but they are usually two vehicles going in a relatively straight line. At the drag strip you got two lanes that are prepped, EMT's on hand, safety equipment used (the most basic being a helmet) and enough seperation of the two lanes to minimize the chances of both cars crashing.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

The key word there is almost. There are a lot of fast street cars out there using N20, turbos, ect. Hell the new Z06's trap 125ish right off the showroom floor. And we all know there are fast 03/04 Cobras, Supras, Evos, ect.

On the street it doesn't matter if you have a 9 second ET. It only matters if you have a 9 second capable trap speed. Mainly because most of these races are from a roll and go to high rates of speed.

That's not true. He should have let out because it's the smart thing to do. No sense in risking thousands of dollars and injury for what was all ready a busted run. I'm with you on that.

But he is not endangering the crowd. They have a wall and a fence to keep the spectators safe. Crowds at organized street races do not generally have walls and fences to protect them. I saw a video once of a Corvette plowing into a crowd of spectators at a street race. Very disturbing.

By the time this guy in the Mustang completly lost it the other lane was way ahead and out of harms way. It's not common for accidents to happen and it's even less common for it to involve both cars. I've actually never witnessed an accident at the track. I've seen a lot of break downs but no actual crashes.

The risks are not the same. They are much greater on the street. Mostly due to the lack of safety equipment, lack of prepped surfaces and the fact that it's against the law allowing for possible legal repercussions. If you lose control at the track and hit the wall the odds are that you'll be ok. If you lose control and hit a tree or pole on the street then odds are you're seriously injured or worse.

I'll take my chances at the track hands down.

When is on test and tune. Where is at your local 1/8 or 1/4 mile track. But make sure you have the right safety equipment as needed by how fast your car is.

Nascar is definately not safe. I never said it was. Whenever you have that many vehicles going that fast and only inches from each other then your risk factor goes through the roof

But most street races are drag races. They don't always start from a dig but they are usually two vehicles going in a relatively straight line. At the drag strip you got two lanes that are prepped, EMT's on hand, safety equipment used (the most basic being a helmet) and enough seperation of the two lanes to minimize the chances of both cars crashing.
and how many z06's have posted a kill? explain to me how a track thats prepped does anything for safety. a prepped track is for traction not safety and again having emt theres doesnt mean your going to be okay. i can think of several stories where ive seen drag cars at the track hit the wall and throw parts into the crowd. the bottom line is anytime two cars line up next to each other and race its just as dangerous as being on the street. nothing is guaranteed just b/c your at the track. and btw any car capable of 130 mph or faster is capable of 10 sec trap. it doesnt matter where the car on the track he put the car in the other lane at risk when he pulled a wheel stand he couldnt control. last time i checked the lanes at the track are no wider than the ones on the street/highway.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

and how many z06's have posted a kill? explain to me how a track thats prepped does anything for safety. a prepped track is for traction not safety and again having emt theres doesnt mean your going to be okay. i can think of several stories where ive seen drag cars at the track hit the wall and throw parts into the crowd. the bottom line is anytime two cars line up next to each other and race its just as dangerous as being on the street. nothing is guaranteed just b/c your at the track. and btw any car capable of 130 mph or faster is capable of 10 sec trap. it doesnt matter where the car on the track he put the car in the other lane at risk when he pulled a wheel stand he couldnt control. last time i checked the lanes at the track are no wider than the ones on the street/highway.
You sir, are incompetent. You asked for answers and you were given answers that you refused even though they are 100% correct. Several people have told you exactly why it's safer and you just give totally ridiculous responses as to why it isn't any different. If you don't want to have a legitimate discussion and actually entertain the reality of street racing vs track racing than stop responding altogether. You have no idea what you are talking about and you must be stuck on the short bus to not understand what the difference is after it has been explained to you.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:13 AM
11 Second Club

and how many z06's have posted a kill? explain to me how a track thats prepped does anything for safety.
Fadi comes to mind. There are Z06's out there and some of them do race. Prepped tracks means better traction. Not just at the launch but from start to finish. Better traction means less chance of losing contol which in turn means less accidents.

a prepped track is for traction not safety and again having emt theres doesnt mean your going to be okay.
See above. EMT's on hand means there is no wait time for medical attention. It takes time to call 911 and even more time for the nearest EMT to get to your location. So in the unlikely event that you are seriously injured at the drag strip you have the absolute best chance for survival since medical attention begins immediately.

i can think of several stories where ive seen drag cars at the track hit the wall and throw parts into the crowd. the bottom line is anytime two cars line up next to each other and race its just as dangerous as being on the street. nothing is guaranteed just b/c your at the track.
I bet you actually havn't but are saying that to try and make a point that just isn't valid. I have never seen an accident at a track in the years I have been going. I have never seen anyone in the crowd hurt either. I watch pinks and have never seen any spectators injured. I have watched ESPN drag racing and have never seen any spectators injured.

It is absolutely positively safer to race and be a spectator at a track then it is on the street.

and btw any car capable of 130 mph or faster is capable of 10 sec trap. it doesnt matter where the car on the track he put the car in the other lane at risk when he pulled a wheel stand he couldnt control. last time i checked the lanes at the track are no wider than the ones on the street/highway.
I've seen a few high 9 ET's with a 130 trap speed. But that is neither here nor there. When you race another car at the track you know there is a chance the other guy could come into your lane. We have to sign a contract saying we accept all risks and it's well known that insurance companies do not pay claims on crashes that happen at the track.

But that risk is actually pretty minimal. Most accidents at a drag strip only involve one vehicle and a wall. But if I had to be involved in an accident I would much rather it be at a track where I have a helmet on and an EMT standing by.

Cars can be replaced. Lives can not.

Quick Reply: How many of you stopped racing on the street?