Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

How many of you stopped racing on the street?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darrensls1
They do make sense. It's just hard to admit it when you want to believe what you're doing is safe and justifiable.
i understand where youre coming from about street racing being wrong and dangerous, but it seems like some people are just too uptight about it.

not every type of street racing puts non-race involved people at any kind of unecessary risk.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by willthethrill
i understand where youre coming from about street racing being wrong and dangerous, but it seems like some people are just too uptight about it.

not every type of street racing puts non-race involved people at any kind of unecessary risk.
I understand that. I'm not against racing. I'm against racing where you put yourself at greater risk for serious injury or death then you need to. One street racing death that could have been prevented with a helmet or roll bar is one death too many.

I like to see everyone stay safe. Not just me.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Teching In

ive been laughed at before for putting my helmet on before a street race. some people ask some really stupid questions.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive been laughed at before for putting my helmet on before a street race. some people ask some really stupid questions.
I wouldn't laugh at you for putting a helmet on. Unless it has a picture of a banana on it
Old 02-07-2008, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by darrensls1
Unless it has a picture of a banana on it

WOOO HOOOOOOOOO! problem solved, thanks man. i was having trouble trying to decide on a paint scheme to have painted on my helmet
Old 02-07-2008, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Simply put, not worth the trouble. Man, I used to do some stupid stuff on the street. There's a stretch of road that is 35mph that I used to haul butt on doing 100 plus with some buddies. STUPID!
Now I have to make sure I instill in my sons to keep a cool head on the street or they can end up in serious trouble with ME or the LAW!
Old 02-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Teching In

i hear ya man. ive done stupid things like that too but thank god i didnt have a wreck.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:21 PM
Teching In

as far as i am concerned with the matter, its all about safety. i would much rather run at the strip but every once in a while a drag in the middle of nowhere in the farm roads, with a car that checks everything out is better than somebody meeting at the local short-red light, and going from there at 5 in the afternoon with people around.
if i hurt myself, my bad, i can live with that. but i couldnt be responsible for someone else. if you know how to actually race, and dont race up to 130mph like some of the vids i see on here, it makes it slighty better. my rules, no higher than 80...if you dont know who is winning from 0-80mph, you shouldnt be racing in the first place.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Teching In

^good point man
Old 02-08-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

WOOO HOOOOOOOOO! problem solved, thanks man. i was having trouble trying to decide on a paint scheme to have painted on my helmet

There you go ....
Old 02-08-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by arioch
pretty much how it is in the ATX here, about 7 months of ownership, MAYBE 5 races since....sucks...
you just dont know the right spots or people yet.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by whatsgrip?

There you go ....

whats in that pic? my work computer wont show it.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

id like to ask a simple question to darrenls1: simply put how is racing at the track any different than racing on the street. the same speeds are still met. the possiblities for all the same bad stuff is still there. its called a controlled environment because why? because someone is watching you, and it can be achieved on the street as well. the will always be the remote possiblity that the worst can happen, whether on the street or at the track. as for the medical personnel on site well its still no different from being on the street other than a response time and that still will not always save your life. now this being said i dont condone street racing and im guilty of it myself(i also shouldnt be on this earth because of it), i also dont condone unopened minds becuase there will always be shades of gray. if you cant distinguish that you than you are no better than the ignorant "street racer." the catch all here is knowing the right time and place for such things.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

whats in that pic? my work computer wont show it.
A yellow spiderman "Racing" helmet It looks like it could stand this ----------->
Old 02-08-2008, 12:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

btw darren you are correct about the bac laws while you may not necessarily be drunk at .08 if it is determined that you are impaired enough the police can charge you with dui. people often forget there are two charges dwi and dui.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by whatsgrip?
A yellow spiderman "Racing" helmet It looks like it could stand this ----------->
sweet!
Old 02-08-2008, 01:23 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 96ta
id like to ask a simple question to darrenls1: simply put how is racing at the track any different than racing on the street. the same speeds are still met. . .
its called a controlled environment because why?. . .
It's a controlled environment for a bunch of reasons.
The track doesn't have side streets for people to pull out of
There is no chance of pedestrians for the same reason
EMS is present and are trained for emergency situation, on the street if something happens you will have to wait. Time is important when someone gets hurt.
Surface prep provides race worthy surface, whether it be for traction, smooth surface, no debris that could cost you a tire etc.
It isn't illegal at the track
If you're fast they make sure you have safety equipment to help keep you safe in the event that an accident occurs

I don't understand why you would ask how the track is different than the street. To be quite honest, to compare the two like they are the same situation is ridiculous.

I really can't believe the mods are letting a conversation go on that has people arguing why street racing is ok and how it isn't any different than the track.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 02-08-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
I really can't believe the mods are letting a conversation go on that has people arguing why street racing is ok and how it isn't any different than the track.
What's more baffling than this thread is the fact that folks like you are going against the momentum of a subforum like this. Obviously the mods want a medium in which they can moderate inevitable street race posts.

The only thing being discussed here is why street racing HAPPENS, not why it's OK.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Staging Lane

My 40-80mph or 60-90mph runs on limited access, higher limit roads are safer than my commute home EVERY day.

All the wrecks I've seen or know have been at the track (including a deer and a friend's C6).

That being said, if Baylands in Fremont was still open, I would surely do it less and justify the cost of DRs and wheels....
Old 02-08-2008, 05:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
It's a controlled environment for a bunch of reasons.
The track doesn't have side streets for people to pull out of
There is no chance of pedestrians for the same reason
EMS is present and are trained for emergency situation, on the street if something happens you will have to wait. Time is important when someone gets hurt.
Surface prep provides race worthy surface, whether it be for traction, smooth surface, no debris that could cost you a tire etc.
It isn't illegal at the track
If you're fast they make sure you have safety equipment to help keep you safe in the event that an accident occurs

I don't understand why you would ask how the track is different than the street. To be quite honest, to compare the two like they are the same situation is ridiculous.

I could not agree more.

Quick Reply: How many of you stopped racing on the street?