Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

I Love My Ls1 (one Night La ---> Sd) Adventure!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 03:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Love My Ls1 (one Night La ---> Sd) Adventure!

You may notice that I am new to the site. In fact I’m new to LS1’s in general. I purchased my 98 Z28 M6 2 weeks ago. (Note this may be a long one). Anyway let me first say that I love Chevy. I’m just about finished with a 1970 el Camino project that I will be selling soon. I decided that I would sell my unpractical toy and my commuter (corolla) for one mid ranged toy I could have some fun with. I knew the stats on ls1’s but honestly guys I had no idea. No idea what 320 hp can do when backed with a 6 speed…. My god I love my new car. My elco has nothing on this (th350  400hp) gearing is king and the torque my god… but anyway back to business. Two of my buddies and I were taking my girl friend back up to UCLA and back when we had our encounter. On the way back from dropping her off not more than 20 min into the drive a BMW estimated 1999-2002 5 series (according to my euro tuner buddy) started riding my A** anyway I was going a healthy 75 at less than 2 grand (love the 6th gear btw) when he kept on me. Soon he decided to flash his Brights and blow by me soon thereafter cutting me off. Well o my I guess I may be time to test out my investment. Needless to say it was messy. 3 tries at 70mph rolling starts. No honks just let him start the race. Murder is the only description. Each time a 4th gear drop. Each time Murder. So I was done with him and he pulled up behind me and gave me thumbs up. Began to start a little convoy. The 2 of us when on until SD only to get challenged by a 2008 SI civic and a 2007 3 series. The civic isn’t even worth noting…just sad really and my new lil friend lost to the 3 series….but I didn’t. Same thing but this time legit 3 honks style. I beat him SOOOO bad. Finally I arrived in SD saluted my lil companion he flashed me to say good bye and I retired. Everyone If I had any idea how amazing this car was (btw 25 mpg on the way home even wasting gas) I would have purchased this a long time ago. I love my LS1 and this is my first kill story. Once again sorry for the length
Old 02-04-2008, 03:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats what makes the cars fun man!!! consider them your acceptance kills
Old 02-04-2008, 03:52 AM
TECH Addict

Good ****!! Glad to see your enjoying it.Good kills too.

Oh and you can drop her in 3rd at 75mph for a good bit of omph off the jump. Good suggestion.... invest in a shift light. Best mod you can make for a beginner. It helped me learn the 6spd sooooo much faster and easier. I had a A4 LS1 for 3yrs before my current one so it took a it of pushing to up my trust in the car. But once you do it, it will surprise you even more everytime.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:59 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys! o forgot one more thing. The buddy in my car (euro tuner one) ... is now looking for a Camaro after tonight lol!
Old 02-04-2008, 03:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
Good ****!! Glad to see your enjoying it.Good kills too.

Oh and you can drop her in 3rd at 75mph for a good bit of omph off the jump. Good suggestion.... invest in a shift light. Best mod you can make for a beginner. It helped me learn the 6spd sooooo much faster and easier. I had a A4 LS1 for 3yrs before my current one so it took a it of pushing to up my trust in the car. But once you do it, it will surprise you even more everytime.
they really help eh in videos most people shift right before lights anyways iv never used one personally are they just set right before your point??
Old 02-04-2008, 05:28 AM
TECH Addict

Yes they are supposed to be set a few hundred RPM before your fuel cut. Mines set at 5900 and fuel cut is 6200.

The reason you see alot of peopleshifting before the light is that they either get used to the hearing/feeling the RPM's or they shift early trying to anticipate the light.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great kills. Your friend will get one, then the modding wars will begin.

BTW, 75 in a stock 6 speed would definitely be 3rd.

And my shift light is set to 6400, limiter set to 6700. I had it set to 6500, but with the really short gearing in my car, first and second would hit before the shift if I wasn't right on. In third and fourth at 6400, I can give the light a split second of illumination before shifting, but 1st and second are perfect.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:04 AM
Teching In

No worries im still learning the tranny all advice welcome! ive only had the car for 2 weeks lol
Old 02-05-2008, 03:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

nice last week i picked up a 99 z28 m6 with some bolt ons didnt even get to play around wiht it, crappy chicago weather iwth the snow and the cold weather. cant wait till i take this car out to have some fun once it clears up