Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

03 STI vs. 400 rwhp WS6 who would win?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: 03 STI vs. 400 rwhp WS6 who would win?

LOL thats funny. How are you going ot work at a dealership and not know the car you are selling.

Yea I heard the STI's are no joke. Everyone seems to run low 13's at over 105. Pretty impressive for a stock 4 banger. There's a place out there in Cali that took a stock STI and made 272 at the wheels. Considering the all wheel drive, thats alot of power.

Old 07-21-2003, 11:58 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, thanks for saving me a lot of typing. You posted pretty much what I would say to 25 psi. If I'm a dick then he's a troll who needs to go a ricer fantasy land board where he would be welcome. They can all huddle around each other and sing kumbaya and deny reality and tell each other how fast they are.

I'm sorry, but the STi goes for $33-35k. True, it should be good for mid-13's and true it seems to be a quality built car, but at that price I am just not impressed. Gimme a V8 F-body any day of the week.

I can go out and buy a used '99 LS1 F-body for about $15k and by the time I'm anywhere near $30K I can be running high 10's or better. Am I comparing apples to oranges since we are talking a used vs. a new car? NO! If you have $33K in your pocket you can make that choice. Therefore it is a valid comparison. I know there is also a subjective factor here, but if you want to go very fast, then the correct choice is glaringly obvious.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

Man what are you talking about. 4cyl. powered cars have been thriving since the early 90's. We are just now getting some of the cars that everyone one else has for over a decade. Ok can you answer this question? Why is it that the camaro and transam are gone, but other cars such as the evo,sti,silvia, and others are making a huge impact across the globe.
25psi, no offense, but your case for these cars is not strong AT ALL. Think about it this way...you're bragging because these cars have been around since the early 90's, correct? The Camaro & Firebird have been around since 1967. In another 20+years if the WRX and Evo are still around and going strong then I'll give you props, but at this point, they are still just a trend. After a 35 year run with its pony cars, GM is making the GTO (which isn't my favorite new car coming out, but hey it's an American V8), and I wouldn't be surprised if they bring back the Firebird & Camaro names in the future. Look, I really have nothing against cars like the STi or Evo, in fact I think they're pretty cool. Getting a lot of power out of a little engine is a big accomplishment. What I don't like is people like you saying that American made V8 pony cars are junk, or that the cars you like are superior, which is totally untrue. And I think there are a few hundred people here that will gladly back me up on this.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

25psi, no offense, but your case for these cars is not strong AT ALL. Think about it this way...you're bragging because these cars have been around since the early 90's, correct? The Camaro & Firebird have been around since 1967. In another 20+years if the WRX and Evo are still around and going strong then I'll give you props, but at this point, they are still just a trend. After a 35 year run with its pony cars, GM is making the GTO (which isn't my favorite new car coming out, but hey it's an American V8), and I wouldn't be surprised if they bring back the Firebird & Camaro names in the future. Look, I really have nothing against cars like the STi or Evo, in fact I think they're pretty cool. Getting a lot of power out of a little engine is a big accomplishment. What I don't like is people like you saying that American made V8 pony cars are junk, or that the cars you like are superior, which is totally untrue. And I think there are a few hundred people here that will gladly back me up on this.
Very well said!!!
Old 07-21-2003, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

Thank you
Old 07-21-2003, 01:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Incidentally, many of the foreign makes use small engines not to show off their tremendous engineering skill, but because they HAVE to. Many Asian and European countries tax cars based on the engine's displacement. Also, the original WRX and Evo used smallish 2.0L 4-bangers because they were limited to that displacement by WRC rules. You'll notice that the STi is now a 2.5L - the increase in displacement done to increase torque

I hate this more power with less cubes arguement. A manufacturer generally sets a target power number for a car. How they achieve that target depends on a myriad of things (e.g. tooling, available parts, expertise, cost, reusability, reliability, fuel type, regulations, emissions, driving characteristics, etc, etc).
Old 07-21-2003, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

I'm sorry, but the STi goes for $33-35k. True, it should be good for mid-13's and true it seems to be a quality built car, but at that price I am just not impressed. Gimme a V8 F-body any day of the week.

I can go out and buy a used '99 LS1 F-body for about $15k and by the time I'm anywhere near $30K I can be running high 10's or better. Am I comparing apples to oranges since we are talking a used vs. a new car
jesus
you know buddie...not everything is drag racing...

enough to everyone with the "i can do this for this $$$" ****
ya i could have a 10 sec 5o for 10k too.

yes you are comparing apples to oranges...a turbo AWD 4 banger 4-dr and a RWD 2dr V8 346.

i love this forum but some of you are just so close minded. i bet this guy hasn't ever ridden in a subaru or driven one in person..however his mind is simply MADE UP.

The '04 STi is not a drag car..put it against a Z28 on the track, it will run circles around it.
"reality"..welcome to it
Old 07-21-2003, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

I dont care what kind of car it is as long as its fast...end of story
Old 07-22-2003, 01:49 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Default Re: 03 STI vs. 400 rwhp WS6 who would win? *DELETED*

Post deleted by TWS
Old 07-22-2003, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

Amazing how much you know about me. You don't have a freakin' clue. I read your reply and started feeling a little hot under the collar. However, I've seen guys get into pissing matches on boards and it just brings both of them down. If you throw a bunch of mud, some of it will inevitably splatter on you. So, I'm not going to talk about you. I don't know you and won't pretend that I do. I'm going to talk about myself and about cars.

nice ..ready

For the record, I'm 34, in a successful professional career, and could easily afford an STi if it was even remotely appealing to me. My bottom line is that for the money, I'm not impressed. It doesn't do what I would need it to do at that price level.
ill repeat..have you driven the STi? if not, how do you know what it can and cant do? Oh thats right you do know, you read R&T

its nice to be a successful 34 yr old.
next

i gave the quarter mile times because that is a handy comparison. If you don't think a modern F-body can handle, you don't know how to drive. Ever heard of SCCA? Go look it up. And then look up how much and how often F-bodies have just plain kicked *** in the classes they fall into.
HAHA..you gave the 1/4 ET's because that is the only thing the Sti loses in..and that is still under my question since i have yet to see them at the track.(where i base MY decisions)

if you knew anything about the modern F-body, you would know that it is not setup the way the subaru is. Stock, its as heavy as a pig, has horrible brakes, lots of understeer. Did i say the f-body couldnt handle? but once again..reality the Sti would run circles around it.

i have never heard of SCCA. I only raced the number 84 blue firebird '98 . And once again lets compare FULL RACE CARS to stock production cars........... If you know anything of SCCA, why would you bring this up?

2. I've owned a fair share of F-bodies, but I've also owned 4 BMW's over the years as well as a couple other makes. Do I have a strong preference for Chevy's and BMW's? Hell YES! Am I closed minded about other cars? Hell NO! The laws of physics don't change based on the badge a car wears. There is a definite subjective factor, however and I simply prefer what I prefer. I think most people on this board are similar, otherwise they wouldn't be on this particular board. However, I believe in this case there is more than subjective factors at work. My bottom line is that the STi does not deliver the "bang for the buck". If I had different taste, and preferred that type and make of car over domestic and German, then maybe I could be swayed to overlook what I feel is a high cost versus performance.
that is an opinion

"3. I've seen the STi up close and personal. I sat in the very one that Venkman raced (see his reply in this thread). I refer to my comments above: It's a quality car (but would not be my choice)."

once again without driving one, it would not be your choice. How can you judge a car, without driving it?? have you raced in SCCA?

dont want to get into a pissing match, but you came across to me as a typical f-body owner.
cheers
Old 07-22-2003, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dammmmn, someone got owned.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

I know there is a waiting list, but no mark up here. Someone on the board just bought one for 35,000.
Whoa, where the hell are you from. Around here, EVERY new car has a markup. An ex-girlfriend of mine bought her brand new 02 Lancer OZ-Rally for 19 grand. Now you can get one for 13-14. Your an idiot.

can go out and buy a used '99 LS1 F-body for about $15k and by the time I'm anywhere near $30K I can be running high 10's or better.
I bought my car for 8700 bucks, and I'm in the 12s... Imagine what I could do with it with 30k? I'd be waaaaay past 10s...
Old 07-22-2003, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL, a Lancer rally edition is not an EV08. GENIOUS

Not everyone wants a used car for 8500 dollars. Straight line speed isn't the only thing people are concered about.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, the Evolution appears to be quite handler. I hear nothing but positives with that regard. I must say I'm not a Mitsu fan, but I think it looks better than the STi up close. Too much rear wing for me in either case though...
Old 07-22-2003, 03:13 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Juice,

I tried to debate the relative merits of the car versus cost versus alternative (F-body). You reply with personal attacks.

You are not worth my time. End of debate from my end.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

Juice,

I tried to debate the relative merits of the car versus cost versus alternative (F-body). You reply with personal attacks.

You are not worth my time. End of debate from my end.
Good talk good talk .
Really bro, it was all in fun. I love getting into arguments online .
I didnt mean anything personal if it came off that way. I need to get laid tonight..thats my problem
You are entitled to your own opinion however.
Anyway no hard feelings

P.S- i think i had a few facts in there
Old 07-22-2003, 03:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

LOL thats funny. How are you going ot work at a dealership and not know the car you are selling.

Yea I heard the STI's are no joke. Everyone seems to run low 13's at over 105. Pretty impressive for a stock 4 banger. There's a place out there in Cali that took a stock STI and made 272 at the wheels. Considering the all wheel drive, thats alot of power.

haha this guy makes me laugh ..first off sti's are no joke your right ..but...it is not impressive and it is not a stock 4 banger ..ita a fully built 4cyl turbocharged and intercooled ...all the vcd **** and that spry **** i dunno but my point is that damn things are boosting like 18 lbs stock (ahh the wonder of the internet heres a dyno graph of a stock evo with boost levels ? i see close to 20 lbs sir! that my friends is not a stock 4 cyl and i think its shitty as hell that a 4cyl needs close to 20 lbs of boost to run with a n/a ls1 ..god for bid they run into a new cobra i cant even imagine what would happen ..the only damn reason they can hang is that sick 4wd system and the damn 20 lbs makes me laugh hope you guys enjoyed peacee oh yea EVO'S =
Old 07-22-2003, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

haha this guy makes me laugh ..first off sti's are no joke your right ..but...it is not impressive and it is not a stock 4 banger ..ita a fully built 4cyl turbocharged and intercooled ...all the vcd **** and that spry **** i dunno but my point is that damn things are boosting like 18 lbs stock (ahh the wonder of the internet heres a dyno graph of a stock evo with boost levels ? i see close to 20 lbs sir! that my friends is not a stock 4 cyl and i think its shitty as hell that a 4cyl needs close to 20 lbs of boost to run with a n/a ls1 ..god for bid they run into a new cobra i cant even imagine what would happen ..the only damn reason they can hang is that sick 4wd system and the damn 20 lbs makes me laugh hope you guys enjoyed peacee oh yea EVO'S =
281.........WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT
What do you mean its not a stock 4- banger? Do they come to dealerships with 300hp ...yes.
fully built?? I guess the '03 cobra with its forged internals isnt stock either since you brought up mustangs

i didnt read the rest im too tired...remember, thats the STOCK turbo they are boosting as well. Not sum big HKS hairdryer...wow what would that make with 20 psi
cheers
Old 07-22-2003, 04:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

[image]http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/evo/evo8/evo8.htm[/image]
Old 07-22-2003, 04:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

hey he said it was a stock 4 banger didnt he? ok then im not getting into this just wanted to make my point that the damn thing isnt stock ..and yes a 03 cobra is not stock by any means .stock factory yes ..but not stock just like the evo ..so why not compare the 03 cobra vs the evo ? or even a ws6 would rip it up with no problem ..gawd damn my gt would prolly give it a damn good run for its money ...from a roll that is peace

Quick Reply: 03 STI vs. 400 rwhp WS6 who would win?