Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Killed by WRX??!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The turbo's on the wrx is smaller than the STi's, it just doesn't make sense unless he did a VF39(STi)turbo swap(cheap to do) and had it tuned up top, plus wrx has a 5 spd(longer gears) and doesn't weigh as much. But 4wd cars have this thing of not being to good above 100mph. Other than that he must be spraying.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol im positive he wasnt spraying...
Old 02-12-2008, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

doesnt make sence

my buddy has a 370whp/360wtq STI and it completly stops its pull around 90mph....their gearing is real short....infact, he told me from a roll I would walk his car all day long...and hes got a upgraded turbo and fully built motor

you need to find out more about your buddys car...theirs something huge your missing.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Banned

Sounds like your buddy is a real bullshitter.

WRX's are around 175-185WHP stock. So he must have had a TON of upgrades to even keep up, not to mention actually pass you.

Are you sure something isn't wrong with your car?? Because WRX/STI's really suck in the top end, especially at triple digit speeds.

I'm surprised his transmission didn't grenade. WRX trannies are complete crap, they blow all the time with stock power. One kid at my college has gone through 4 transmissions, and his car is practically stock. Garbage.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe your car is taking a dump.......JK, yea does not sound right, is your car runnig good maybe your oxygen sensors are going or something or you maf.......being that he has not changed anything....if all else fails check your flux capacitor....jejeje
Old 02-12-2008, 11:34 PM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I just sold my Stage 2 04 Sti ! I beat a S/C 96-97 Mustang Gt in it, but thats it. I got walked pretty bad by a 99+ Z28 and an E55. I also took it up to 155 once with a still some pedal to go more but top end on it just doesn't compare to an LS1-2-or 6. I lost to a full bolt on WRX once when I was stock, I believe he was boosting more than stock, but it was a slow pull as he beat me. the next time we went I walked him.

Your buddy is leaving something out ! His turbo and injectors cannot be stock ! I'm sorry headers and a turbo back just will not do it !
Old 02-14-2008, 09:47 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98
doesnt make sence

my buddy has a 370whp/360wtq STI and it completly stops its pull around 90mph....their gearing is real short....infact, he told me from a roll I would walk his car all day long...and hes got a upgraded turbo and fully built motor

you need to find out more about your buddys car...theirs something huge your missing.
BS...... With an upgraded turbo and a "fully built motor" there is no way in hell your gonna walk him in any race. My car with mods in sig. at only 19psi (around 360whp) pulls hard all the way to 150+ . Just ask Rocksws6 or Yellowsierra they have both raced me and they can tell you my car is no slouch at any mph.

Only reason EVo's, STi's WRX's have the reputation of falling off at top speeds are 'cause of the stock turbo's. You don't just magically start losing HP at top speeds, AWD parasitic losses are present from the start and can be overcome with larger CFM turbo's and HP.

That being said: it is strange that if he is still on stock turbo he would pull up top like that. He's likely to have a VF39 swap very easy to do bolt on and can be bought on ebay cheap for around 300-400 $.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:55 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by ONEBADASSWS6
Sounds like your buddy is a real bullshitter.

WRX's are around 175-185WHP stock. So he must have had a TON of upgrades to even keep up, not to mention actually pass you.

Are you sure something isn't wrong with your car?? Because WRX/STI's really suck in the top end, especially at triple digit speeds.

I'm surprised his transmission didn't grenade. WRX trannies are complete crap, they blow all the time with stock power. One kid at my college has gone through 4 transmissions, and his car is practically stock. Garbage.
Oh yay... you're back . WRX transmissions generally only grenade when people abuse them from a stop, since most people don't know how to launch
Old 02-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Oh yay... you're back . WRX transmissions generally only grenade when people abuse them from a stop, since most people don't know how to launch
**** off.

Its marketed as a performance car. When you drive it as such, the transmission fails. Simple as that.

I slam gears in my T56 like its stolen. Does it break?? Nope, because its designed for it, unlike riceburners.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:55 PM
***Repost Police***

**** off.

Its marketed as a performance car. When you drive it as such, the transmission fails. Simple as that.

I slam gears in my T56 like its stolen. Does it break?? Nope, because its designed for it, unlike riceburners.
F-body = 10-bolt rearend... that breaks, sometimes on stock cars as well. And the STi is the one marketed as the "performance car," and it has a much stronger drivetrain than the regular WRX. But you knew that I'm sure
Old 02-14-2008, 08:10 PM
Banned

F-body = 10-bolt rearend... that breaks, sometimes on stock cars as well. And the STi is the one marketed as the "performance car," and it has a much stronger drivetrain than the regular WRX. But you knew that I'm sure
We're talking about the WRX. Thats what the thread starter raced. Not an STI. You are really slow...

The 10 bolt is fine until you're at 400+WHP. There are guys running 11's, still on the stock 10 bolt. Funny thing is the 7.5" is still bigger than the differentials in most imports, so its irrelevent anyway.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:15 PM
***Repost Police***

There are 10 bolts in the 11s, just like there are Ford T5s in the 10s... but both have a reputation of being extremely weak. And I'm aware that the thread was started about the WRX; you called it a "performance car," and I corrected you.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We're talking about the WRX. Thats what the thread starter raced. Not an STI. You are really slow...

The 10 bolt is fine until you're at 400+WHP. There are guys running 11's, still on the stock 10 bolt. Funny thing is the 7.5" is still bigger than the differentials in most imports, so its irrelevent anyway.
people break 10 bolts w/ stock power the same way people break wrx trannys
Old 02-15-2008, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More boost or nitrous sound like the easiest culprits that you wouldn't notice.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:22 AM
Teching In

in my gtp when it was running about mid 13's I would walk my buddy's wrx from any speed roll by about 3 cars..he had a lot of bolt-ons too. I had hardly anything, and a lot of knock retard. There is no way you should be getting beat or even hung with by that car.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:58 AM
Banned

somethings wrong here hmmmm
Old 02-16-2008, 08:29 AM
TECH Regular

STI tranny = good but not perfect
WRX tranny = ****

Seen several acquaintances rip out their stock transmissions. One time we were at the strip with a buddy and his WRX and of course nobody brought a trailer. Poor guy drove that bastard home with like 2 forward gears. He said "screw it.....That tranny sucks and I'll have to buy a better one anyway." He ended up putting in a $2k Sti gearset and that would supposedly take up to 350whp. Hasn't had any more problems from what I hear. Runs mid low 12s.

I'd love to have his car though. It is really clean. Black, no spoiler, and debadged. 4 doors guys....I could kill for that sometimes.........Then I start my car and those bad thoughts go away

Back to the OP. There is seriously no way he is raping you on topend without doing something else.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:30 AM
Teching In

Probably because your car doesn't have enough power to break it.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

+1 I went through 2 with mine. The Transmission is **** and Subaru will refuse to fix it under warranty. They said it wasn't normal driving conditions. I still like subaru's but their customer service is **** as are the transmissions they put in the WRX.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So your saying that the WRX isn't a performance car? They are the same car the STI is just a upscale model. And yes one of the upgrades is the 6 speed that is much stronger than the 5. Your a f-en idiot man. You just come on here to say random **** and start arguements. Give it a rest.